LIV Golf

blueline

EOG Master
For most of Friday’s first round it was anything but loud. Yes, there was plenty of music played around the grounds, from powerful speakers near greens and tee boxes. But thunderous cheering, the typical soundtrack of most professional golf tournaments, was nonexistent.

The crowds at the event, LIV Golf’s third tournament, were too sparse to hear any ovations wafting around the course. That may have been because it was a Friday rather than a weekend, but as an example, the largest first-tee crowd of the day was unquestionably for Mickelson, and it was about 350 people.

And Mickelson was hitting next to a large clubhouse balcony and patio. When he reached his first green, there were exactly 43 people waiting for him

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated
You just described the majority of PGA events, but it hasn't been worth noting in the past to opine on the crowd.

mr merlin

EOG Master
I checked and they charge $75 to get in, some special tickets that give you access to better tents, etc run up to $3500.

A couple weeks ago they said that they were limiting crowds - not sure why or if that's an excuse for small crowds. From what i saw today the crowds seemed reasonable.

mr merlin

EOG Master
For most of Friday’s first round it was anything but loud. Yes, there was plenty of music played around the grounds, from powerful speakers near greens and tee boxes. But thunderous cheering, the typical soundtrack of most professional golf tournaments, was nonexistent.

The crowds at the event, LIV Golf’s third tournament, were too sparse to hear any ovations wafting around the course. That may have been because it was a Friday rather than a weekend, but as an example, the largest first-tee crowd of the day was unquestionably for Mickelson, and it was about 350 people.

And Mickelson was hitting next to a large clubhouse balcony and patio. When he reached his first green, there were exactly 43 people waiting for him
The shotgun start at LIV changes the fan experience, no real need to stake out the 1st or 18th hole because the leaders will be coming last, etc, the 18th holds no more importance. , I would think it would cut down on the number of fans who follow a group as well since everyone is playing at the same time - in a normal tourney by the time the leaders tee off all the scrubs have finished or almost finished.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
I checked and they charge $75 to get in, some special tickets that give you access to better tents, etc run up to $3500.

A couple weeks ago they said that they were limiting crowds - not sure why or if that's an excuse for small crowds. From what i saw today the crowds seemed reasonable.
Those 75 dollar tickets were going for one and two dollars in secondary markets plus a five dollar surcharge…

mr merlin

EOG Master
Those 75 dollar tickets were going for one and two dollars in secondary markets plus a five dollar surcharge…
Wow, that's cheap, what do you conclude from that? We had the 3 M open here a week ago and i dont think it was very popular, talked to people that live near the course and they said traffic was way lighter than they expected.

I know you guys are trying to run it down, just as I am pumping it up, the reality is they "claim" they dont care about money right now.

What i dont understand is why they haven't got a TV outlet yet, even if it's on some little watched cable channel it would be better than nothing. On the streaming platform they run zero commercials other than promo's for the tour itself.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Wow, that's cheap, what do you conclude from that? We had the 3 M open here a week ago and i dont think it was very popular, talked to people that live near the course and they said traffic was way lighter than they expected.

I know you guys are trying to run it down, just as I am pumping it up, the reality is they "claim" they dont care about money right now.

What i dont understand is why they haven't got a TV outlet yet, even if it's on some little watched cable channel it would be better than nothing. On the streaming platform they run zero commercials other than promo's for the tour itself.
Without a TV deal, LIV has no shot to survive….will the PGA take these guys back?

Just as Mickelson, who reportedly received an upfront $200 million signing bonus to join the insurgent tour, was set to begin his swing, a fan 15 yards to his right yelled: “Do it for the Saudi royal family!”

Mickelson backed away from the shot as a security official approached the fan and told him he would be removed from the grounds if there was another outburst.

Appearing unnerved, Mickelson returned to his stance and finally struck the ball, which sailed 60 feet off-line and landed in a cavernous bunker. Stomping off the tee and muttering to his caddie, Mickelson would begin his day with a bogey.
there's a story that when phil was at his heaviest, during a round someone in the gallery yelled "hey phil, nice tits!" and it completely wrecked his round after that.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
I remember that, Newty. Phil and Tiger together. Someone kept trying to get his attention whore by calling out "Phil! Phil! Phil". He ignored him. Then the fan said "Mr. Mickelson". Phil finally turned around and smiled. Maybe tipped his hat or gave his goofy thumbs up sign.

"Nice tits!"

Everybody started laughing and Phil put that shit in the water.

pro analyser

EOG Dedicated
It's all about competition and money. When your younger it's more about competition,wanting to be the best As you get older and realize you can't compete with the best, taking the money is an easy decision. If money is not a factor(tiger) you would rather challenge yourself,playing with the best. Credit Dechambeau for being young and still taking life changing money. When his contract runs out,think hell go back to pga since hell want the competion, after being set for life.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Think they will, because with fewer stars it's not as fun to watch. Who didn't enjoy watching Bryson Dechambeau tee off.
the question is can the GA tour survive. Last week I watched almost nothing of the regular tour, whereas I streamed the LIV tour and watched a fair bit of it.

I dont want to see 2nd tier guys compete, I want to see the best, it's only going to get better for LIV and worse for the PGA.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Without a TV deal, LIV has no shot to survive….will the PGA take these guys back?

LIV TV is outstanding right now, streamed on their website as well as their You Tube and Facebook pages, all with archives. Much superior to the PGA, because of the shotgun start and other features. Plans for 2023 are being made to sell to TV and cable networks for the expansion of media.

mr merlin

EOG Master
PGA wins round 1 as three players denied fedex entry today.
Nothing will be decided in court, eventually either the PGA tour will fold and allow players their God given freedom or the LIV tour will peter out.

The only thing preventing a stable golf world is the PGA tours fear of their little kingdom being disrupted.

Both sides need to make peace, almost certainly next year the LIV will be on TV, if they can draw even 40% of viewers the PGA is F'd. I know I would watch LIV over the PGA tour, who wants to watch a bunch of nobodies golf?

mr merlin

EOG Master
Sounds like this week, cam smith jaquine neiman, anirbarn lihari, mito periera, harold varner, marc lieshman, and cameron tringali are jumping ship.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Sounds like this week, cam smith jaquine neiman, anirbarn lihari, mito periera, harold varner, marc lieshman, and cameron tringali are jumping ship.

For reference:

Currently LIV has 9 golfers in 2022 Top OWGR 50.

Current 2022 OWGR ratings: Smith 2, Neimann 18, Lihari 93, Pereira 50, Varner 44, Lieshman 63, and Tringale 53

mr merlin

EOG Master
For reference:

Currently LIV has 9 golfers in 2022 Top OWGR 50.

Current 2022 OWGR ratings: Smith 2, Neimann 18, Lihari 93, Pereira 50, Varner 44, Lieshman 63, and Tringale 53
So LIV would have 13 of the top 50, after playing only 3 tournaments, that's pretty good IMO.

What the PGA tour did this week by dumping huge money mostly to the top players, damaged the game overall IMO. They are going to require all the top players(top 20) to play the same tournaments - 20 a yr, most top players dont really want to play much more than that, this means all the other tournaments played (over 20) wont have any good names playing.

They're basically creating another LIV tour and relegating the rest of the schedule to being 2nd tier.

Up here in Mn we have the 3M open, it's tough to get guys to play here( because it's the week after the british) but we usually had 3 or 4 good golfers, now we wont have any.