MACHADO TO SAN DIEGO

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Dayn Perry and cbssportsline.com

Manny Machado, San Diego Padres agree to record-breaking 10-year deal, reports say
The Padres have reportedly landed one of the most coveted free agents ever

The San Diego Padres have agreed to terms with free-agent infielder Manny Machado. Machado, 26, is one of the most coveted free agents in history, and the Padres' reported landing of him marks a major coup this offseason. An opt-out means Machado will have the option of re-entering the free-agent market following his age-30 season. The contract is believed to be 10 years at around $300M.

Machado is coming off a strong 2018 for the Orioles and then Dodgers, who acquired him leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline:

For his career, Machado boasts an OPS+ of 121 across parts of seven big-league seasons, and over that span he's averaged 31 home runs and 37 doubles per 162 games played. He proved last season that he's able to pin down shortstop on a regular basis, and he still profiles as a standout defensive third baseman. While Machado dealt with knee injuries earlier in his career, he's played in no fewer than 156 games in each of the last four seasons. At age 26 -- quite young for a free agent -- Machado fits any near-, mid-, and long-term planning on the part of the Padres. That youth in tandem with his broad base of skills, especially his power, is why he was able to command $300 million on the open market.

In San Diego, Machado becomes the signature addition as the organization begins to emerge from a thus-far successful rebuild. While Machado has stated he prefers to remain at shortstop going forward, it seems likely he'll return to third base with the Padres. In part that's because shortstop Fernando Tatis Jr., who's in the discussion for top prospect in all of baseball, figures to arrive in San Diego soon. Assuming Machado does slide over to third, here's what the San Diego lineup could look like on Opening Day:
  1. Ian Kinsler, 2B
  2. Manny Machado, 3B
  3. Eric Hosmer, 1B
  4. Wil Myers, LF
  5. Hunter Renfroe, RF
  6. Franchy Cordero, CF
  7. Luis Urias, SS
  8. Austin Hedges, C
Manuel Margot likely becomes the right-handed half of a platoon in center field. Tatis will very likely be ticketed for Triple-A to start the season, so he could be arriving in San Diego in short order. At that point, Urias could shift to second and bump the veteran Kinsler to a reserve role at multiple infield positions. Also on the way are catcher prospect Francisco Mejia and an unparalleled stock of arms. The Padres will be heavy underdogs in the NL West in 2019, even with Machado, but the future is uncommonly bright. As noted, Machado's age means he fits any timeline GM A.J. Preller may have in mind.
Even after the Machado signing, the Padres are still under $115 million for payroll in 2019, so there's room to do even more if they're willing. It's also worth noting that because Machado was traded during the 2018 season, he was not eligible to receive a qualifying offer from the Dodgers. That in turn means that the Padres will not have to forfeit a draft pick for signing Machado.

300 million?

Jesus. These contracts never end well..

Correct-anytime a team spends over 25% of their payroll on one player it hamstrings the team to fill out the rest of their roster for quite a while and as you say about the contract ending well......you’re totally on the money

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Correct-anytime a team spends over 25% of their payroll on one player it hamstrings the team to fill out the rest of their roster for quite a while and as you say about the contract ending well......you’re totally on the money

Expect the Phillies to sign Harper for more....

GM Aj Preller has done a fantastic job of building up SD’s minor league system as them and TB have the two most loaded farm systems in the game. Where Preller fails is has has no idea how to put the major league roster together and the Machado signing is another example. A few years ago Preller showed how clueless he was when in the same season he signed Kemp-Upton-Myers to fill out his OF. 3 terrible defenders who don’t cover much ground to play in the most spacious MLB outfield at the time.

Heim

EOG Master
It shows how much money these mlb teams make. Hosmer now Machado and they made a offer for Harper too. TV
deals are huge. With that being said the Padres have the best minor league in baseball did they really need Machado
with Tatis in the wings? Plus Mexicans hate Machado if they think he fits their demographics.

Valuist

EOG Master
It was only a few years ago the Padres tried to make a big splash in free agency. It didn't work out well for them.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Manny is not going to like Petco. San Diegans seem to have little interest in sports, but Manny may like it that way.

He’s making 300 million, what does it matter whether he likes the park or not? He is going like it there. Nice weather, little media press, just go out and play and collect his $$.

blueline

EOG Master
front office of the Chicago south side team was visibly shaken....didnt try and hide it in interviews...fans are out on ledges

Valuist

EOG Master
front office of the Chicago south side team was visibly shaken....didnt try and hide it in interviews...fans are out on ledges

It's always going to be hard for them to get quality free agents. Nobody wants to live on the South Side or southern suburbs.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Sox offer would have surpassed 300 million but it had incentives I read which was smart.

You can see Machado not giving a shit in a few years.

Heim

EOG Master
I'd like to see Pads sign Keuchel......their starting pitching is young and will improve however not a rotation
that will get you to the playoffs.

Heim

EOG Master
Is there a bigger phony than Machado? Today at the press conference all he talked about was family & Padres have the family atmosphere he likes. If he's all about family why didn't he sign with the Whitesox & join his brother-in-law?

Valuist

EOG Master
Is there a bigger phony than Machado? Today at the press conference all he talked about was family & Padres have the family atmosphere he likes. If he's all about family why didn't he sign with the Whitesox & join his brother-in-law?

Agreed. Not a good clubhouse guy.

They have a long ways to go to get to that 78 1/2 win total. They still have a number of holes in their lineup. And the rotation is awful. I guess they figure its Petco; they can throw anyone out there and the marine level will keep some balls in the park.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Agreed. Not a good clubhouse guy.

They have a long ways to go to get to that 78 1/2 win total. They still have a number of holes in their lineup. And the rotation is awful. I guess they figure its Petco; they can throw anyone out there and the marine level will keep some balls in the park.
The division all took a big step back this offseason. The Dodgers should win the division but had to shut down Kershaw already.. it may only take 88 wins to win the division.

kane

EOG master
The Padres rotation leaves a lot to be desired, but if they're in the playoff hunt, who's to say they don't move a couple of their prospects for a pitcher or two. When capping a team's RSW total, the roster at the start of the season might not be the same as towards the end of the season

mr merlin

EOG Master
So he's a phony, almost everyone is. You cant blame anyone for taking the money, and by the way, I dont see how the White Sox are a better franchise than San Diego? To me they're equally mediocre.

Valuist

EOG Master
The Padres rotation leaves a lot to be desired, but if they're in the playoff hunt, who's to say they don't move a couple of their prospects for a pitcher or two. When capping a team's RSW total, the roster at the start of the season might not be the same as towards the end of the season

I don't see how that is possible. The NL Central is far better and so is the NL East, so its doubtful wild cards likely coming out of the West. And if that was to happen, it would almost certainly be Colorado. The Padres are not surpassing the Dodgers. You look at that lineup, other than Machado and Hosmer, there's holes everywhere. They sign Kinsler? He looks like he hit a wall last year and is 36 years old. I know their farm system is loaded, but they are still a year away from contending, IMO.

Your Reds could be a prime sell candidate at the trade deadline.

kane

EOG master
I don't see how that is possible. The NL Central is far better and so is the NL East, so its doubtful wild cards likely coming out of the West. And if that was to happen, it would almost certainly be Colorado. The Padres are not surpassing the Dodgers. You look at that lineup, other than Machado and Hosmer, there's holes everywhere. They sign Kinsler? He looks like he hit a wall last year and is 36 years old. I know their farm system is loaded, but they are still a year away from contending, IMO.

Your Reds could be a prime sell candidate at the trade deadline.

Puig in a walk year playing in that bandbox, he should put up big numbers, and Kemp might as well, they also have a couple of pitchers who could draw interest if they pitch well. Pretty sad when the best I can hope for is my team to be a seller at the deadline and hoping they can get some prospects in return. If nothing else, they should at least be an interesting team to follow with the new additions

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Not sure what current numbers are, but Westgate openers had the Pirates bringing up the rear in the NL Central with 77.5 wins. That division is absolutely loaded.

Kane, I think your Reds may be better than you think. All of a sudden they have a lineup well suited for that ballpark. I could see 82-84 wins.

Look for totals 10.5-11 when Reds are at home once the summer heat arrives.

kane

EOG master
Not sure what current numbers are, but Westgate openers had the Pirates bringing up the rear in the NL Central with 77.5 wins. That division is absolutely loaded.

Kane, I think your Reds may be better than you think. All of a sudden they have a lineup well suited for that ballpark. I could see 82-84 wins.

Look for totals 10.5-11 when Reds are at home once the summer heat arrives.

I agree the Reds could be a decent team, especially if their rotation pitches well, but the odds of them making the playoffs are slim to none, but like I said, they should be an interesting team to follow throughout the season

Jammer

EOG Dedicated

They got suckered into Myers and Hosmer after they had big years. They have over 150 million invested in the two the next 4 years. They were both hurt and hit .250 last year.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Machado is from Miami, maybe the SD weather suited him more than the Chicago weather

Born in Hialeah and raised in Miami.

I heard he took care of his family before he spent money on himself after signing his first big-league contract.

Machado needs some good P.R.

His boyhood pal was current Cubs outfielder Albert Almora and he's currently married to the sister of Yonder Alonso, a new member of the Chicago White Sox.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

The key to handicapping MLB regular-season win totals.

Heim

EOG Master
When have the Padres been the topic of conversation this time of year? I'm sure creating a buzz was part
of the signing intent....that is until Harper signs with Philly.