Men's USA soccer is dead

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
It's simple.

The best athletes in the US do not play soccer. If they did, we would be a top soccer nation.

Not enough money and fame in the US to attract the athletes.

The US soccer program won't compete with the best countries in the world until that happens.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated
MLS ruined American Soccer. Made Concacaf stronger keeping US off of last World Cup. Kept American players home instead of improving their skills in Europe.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
In the late 70’s soccer was going to take over the US, then the Miracle on Ice happened. US hockey has exploded while US men’s soccer lags behind. The women’s program has taken off, but there is little money in that.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Even against Guyana there were moments I was like this is embarrassing. Whether defending or attacking. I get up and read articles that consist of headlines such as "promising gold cup win vs Guyana." No. There was nothing promising about last night. It was dreadful.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Asserting men's soccer is dead infers it was alive at some point.

I can't name a single male soccer player from the US team, past or present.

We call it organized kickball around these parts.

Reactions: E$

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

Admitting complete and total ignorance of a sport that has more lines on a regular basis than any other in the world isn’t exactly a bragging point.

But “these parts” probably means your nephew’s house.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

EOG contributor RAY LUCA once offered a suggestion to improve soccer's excitement level.

Throw a second ball onto the field.

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
Throw a couple more goals in there. 4 goal soccer. 4 balls. 4 teams.

Now that's chaos. You score it like golf. Team with the least goals allowed wins.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
Its like any other sport. You can make faults for hockey and basketball. How about baseball?

How many people can actually sit in the stands and watch the actual baseball game going on?

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Yet the MLS wants to expand to 30 teams.

Whatever happened to soccer prodigy Freddie Adu?

Actually - they wanna go to 40
allows
The ONLY reason is: Expansion Fees

They keep going up and up. The league isn't making much money - if at all. So adding teams allows existing teams to make money when he Expansion Fee is split up. That is why MLS has no problem expanding and expanding. Eventually the "pot of gold" will run dry and teams won't get Expansion Fee money and then you will see teams fold

DrunkenGoon

EOG Dedicated

MLS is doing fine... 4 of their all time top 10 biggest sales have happened within the last season... Keep in mind that the league gets the fees on player sales and then small amounts trickle to the clubs (unless player was home grown talent like Davies when the team gets the bigger chunk).

Miguel Almirón Miguel Almirón
Attacking Midfield
24 18/19 Paraguay
Newcastle United Newcastle
England Premier League
24,00 Mill. €
Alphonso Davies Alphonso Davies
Left Winger
18 18/19 Canada
Liberia
Bayern Munich Bayern Munich
Germany Bundesliga
10,00 Mill. €
Zack Steffen Zack Steffen
Goalkeeper
24 19/20 United States
Manchester City Man City
England Premier League
8,00 Mill. €
Jozy Altidore Jozy Altidore
Centre-Forward
18 08/09 United States
Haiti
Villarreal CF Villarreal
Spain LaLiga
6,50 Mill. €
Matt Miazga Matt Miazga
Centre-Back
20 15/16 United States
Poland
Chelsea FC Chelsea
England Premier League
4,60 Mill. €
Jack Harrison Jack Harrison
Right Winger
21 17/18 England
Manchester City Man City
England Premier League
4,00 Mill. €
Maurice Edu Maurice Edu
Defensive Midfield
22 08/09 United States
Nigeria
Rangers FC Rangers
Scotland Premiership
4,00 Mill. €
Stern John Stern John
Centre-Forward
22 99/00 Trinidad and Tobago
Nottingham Forest Nottm Forest
England England
3,80 Mill. €
Giancarlo González Giancarlo González
Centre-Back
26 14/15 Costa Rica
US Palermo US Palermo
Italy Serie A
3,80 Mill. €
Yoshimar Yotún Yoshimar Yotún
Central Midfield
28 18/19 Peru
CD Cruz Azul CD Cruz Azul
Mexico Liga MX Clausura
3,50 Mill. €

railbird

EOG Master
La fc fan base is 100pct mexicans, 90 pct of their fans dont speak english, which means they are real mexicans, fake mexicans are dodger fans

Actually - they wanna go to 40
allows
The ONLY reason is: Expansion Fees

They keep going up and up. The league isn't making much money - if at all. So adding teams allows existing teams to make money when he Expansion Fee is split up. That is why MLS has no problem expanding and expanding. Eventually the "pot of gold" will run dry and teams won't get Expansion Fee money and then you will see teams fold
Perfect time to introduce relegation. There are enough cities between MLS, USL Champions, USL 1 and USL 2 to make this feasible. Each would need a stadium of "x" capacity.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Perfect time to introduce relegation. There are enough cities between MLS, USL Champions, USL 1 and USL 2 to make this feasible. Each would need a stadium of "x" capacity.

Agree on Relegation and also agree with JK how it is a great concept. There is no reason why perennially bad teams such as Arizona Coyotes, Phoenix Suns, Jax Jags (Save 2017's fluke season) and more should be assured a spot in the top-flight league.

The only problem is American owners don't want to pay a lot of money for a franchise and then see that team get sent down and the value of their investment massively decline. But there is also no reason why those same owners should be allowed to "mess things up" year after year and still get rewarded for it.

There is nothing better than watching the annual Premier League "Play-In" Promotional game on Memorial Day at Wembley with the winner being promoted to the PL and getting the 20th and last spot in the league while the loser must stay in the 2nd tier. The winner gets all of the riches of the PL, about $170M (British Pounds) and the reaction from the winning side players and supporters (NOT: Fans.............Supporters - in the UK) is incredible. Aston Villa won that game this season to get Promotion and unlike many teams coming up this way they should be able to stay in the PL after this season (Sheffield United is a near LOCK to be Relegated but no way I am laying -150 on that happening).

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
I didnt touch that Mexico match but that was a shock. Penalty. No. Weak.

Feel sorry for Argentina too. Controversy and chaos against Brazil. Messi was the most angry you have ever seen him.

Biff41

EOG Dedicated
In women's soccer i like Sweden to beat Netherlands at Lyon today, maybe 2-1... More of a hunch than anything.

Biff41

EOG Dedicated
I think the better bet might be:

Sweden to ADVANCE!

This one has 1-1 Draw written all over it
My own handicapping is showing scoring momentum by one side. Not saying I am right as women have less strength to carry momentum forward. We will see on this.