Michael Brown, grossly unqualified for job, check out his resume

JC

EOG Veteran
I will get more on this later, but this is what they just had on TV.

Prior to being named FEMA Director, Brown's greatest supervisory experience was as head of the Arabian Horse Show Association where he was forced to resign after 9 years. It does not appear on his official resume.

He had only participated in one disaster relief effort in his entire life.

How did he get his job at FEMA? He's a good friend of Joe Allbaugh, one of W's campaign managers.

This story will get bigger.

JC

EOG Veteran
This is disgusting:

http://www.talkingpointsmemo.com/archives/week_2005_08_28.php

Knight-Ridder adds some nice color to the Michael Brown debacle ...

Brown's ticket to FEMA was Joe Allbaugh, President Bush's 2000 campaign manager and an old friend of Brown's in Oklahoma. When Bush ran for president in 2000, Brown was ending a rocky tenure at the horse association.
Brown told several association officials that if Bush were elected, he'd be in line for a good job. When Allbaugh, who managed Bush's campaign, took over FEMA in 2001, he took Brown with him as general counsel.

"He's known Joe Allbaugh for quite some time," said Andrew Lester, an Oklahoma lawyer who's been a friend of Brown's for more than 20 years. "I think they know each other from school days. I think they did some debate type of things against each other, and worked on some Republican politics together."

And some morsels about the horse years ...

From 1991 until 2000, Brown earned about $100,000 a year as the chief rules enforcer of the Arabian horse association.
He was known as "The Czar" for the breadth of his power and the enthusiasm with which he wielded it, said Mary Anne Grimmell, a former association president.

Brown's old friend Lester said the progression from horse shows to hurricanes was natural.

"A lot of what he had to do was stand in the breach in difficult, controversial situations," Lester said. "Which I think would well prepare him for his work at FEMA."

The article also says Brown made an unsuccessful run for Congress in 1988.

So let me see if I understand this. Brown's a Republican from the southwest. He ran unsuccessfully for Congress when he was thirty-three. Then he bounced from job to job, finally getting into the sports business in mid-life, before getting canned. And then he used connections to land himself a high-powered position in the federal government for which he had no apparent experience at all.

How could such a fellow possibly be in the Bush administration?

JC

EOG Veteran
From other sources:

Yes, that's right... the man responsible for directing federal relief operations in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, sharpened his emergency management skills as the "Judges and Stewards Commissioner" for the International Arabian Horses Association... a position from which he was forced to resign in the face of mounting litigation and financial disarray.

====================

I think I've told you that I'm into Arab horses. Well, for 3 years Michael Brown was hired and then fired by our IAHA, the International Arabian Horse Assoc. He was an unmitigated, total fucking disaster. I was shocked as hell when captain clueless put him in charge of FEMA a couple of years ago.

=====================

He or the WH lied on the WH presser announcing him to FEMA. IAHA was never connected to the Olympic Comm, only the half Arab registry then and the governing body to the state and local Arabian horse clubs. He ruined IAHA financially so badly that we had to change the name and combine it with the Purebred registry.
I am telling you this after watching the fucking shipwreck in the Gulf. His incompetence is KILLING people.

Books Worst Enemy

EOG Addicted
The finger pointing is ridiculous. Everyone has known that New Orleans was below sea level for decades.

Everyone in New Orleans knew this was a possibility, but after seeing this happen over and over and over again and the levies have held for 100 years why would you evacuate every single time a hurricane formed in the gulf? The peole who stayed in New Orleans were gambling that this time would be just like all the rest.

I don't blame them. Do I run to the nearest ditch every time there is a tornado warning in my area? Hell no. After being ok for the last 36 years I figure the next tornado won't get me either. Eventually, there will be another F5 like the one in Moore, Okla a few years ago, approx a mile wide, destroying everything in it's path. Will happen in my home town? Probably not. But there is no way to know for certain. In the mean time I will continue to take my chances and sleep through tornado warnings as opposed to getting the entire family up in the middle of the night and seeking shelter.

You can't blame FEMA for not having their shit together on this mess. It is an act of nature. Very foreseeable, yet totally unpredictable as to when it would, if ever, happen.

The finger pointing needs to stop, in my opinion. If you haven't already made a donation to the red cross or otherwise done something to help out, you should consider pointing the finger at yourself.

Later,
Books Worst Enemy

JC

EOG Veteran
That's your defense of this guy???

It would have happened anyway.

Forget this tragedy for a moment, do you think this man has the credentials and experience to run FEMA?

I don't. I think he should go back to shoveling horse shit.

Pac Man

EOG Member
The few die-hard Bush supporters continue to cram their heads farther and farther up their asses because they could never bring themselves to admit that maybe they were wrong.

Krackman

EOG Senior Member
Nothing surprises me about this situation. I am sure Michael Moore is keeping good notes for his next movie.

Well, if he isn't-somebody should be.

3:32 P.M. Ben Morris, Slidell mayor: We are still hampered by some of the most stupid, idiotic regulations by FEMA. They have turned away generators, we've heard that they've gone around seizing equipment from our contractors. If they do so, they'd better be armed because I'll be damned if I'm going to let them deprive our citizens. I'm pissed off, and tired of this horse$#@@."

http://www.wwltv.com/local/stories/WWLBLOG.ac3fcea.html

MLM

EOG Member
TTinCO said:
Well, if he isn't-somebody should be.

3:32 P.M. Ben Morris, Slidell mayor: We are still hampered by some of the most stupid, idiotic regulations by FEMA. They have turned away generators, we've heard that they've gone around seizing equipment from our contractors. If they do so, they'd better be armed because I'll be damned if I'm going to let them deprive our citizens. I'm pissed off, and tired of this horse$#@@."

"The most terrifying words in the English language are: 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help'." --Ronald Reagan