Michael Lorenzen is starting in CF for the Reds today

kane

EOG master
When was the last time a pitcher started a game in the field? Lorenzen is playing center and batting 7th, he's hitting .353 this year and he's a career .267 hitter with a career .817 OPS and 7 HR's in 101 AB's. Last night he became the first player to earn the win, hit a HR, and play the field in the same game since Babe Ruth in 1921

kane

EOG master
If he had decided to become a position player instead of a pitcher, he's a good enough athlete and hitter that he could have been a very good every day player

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
If he had decided to become a position player instead of a pitcher, he's a good enough athlete and hitter that he could have been a very good every day player

He did both when he played for the greatest University on the Planet. It was a joy to see him do this.

Last edited:

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated

That's exactly what might end up happening going forward.

When was the last time a pitcher started a game in the field? Lorenzen is playing center and batting 7th, he's hitting .353 this year and he's a career .267 hitter with a career .817 OPS and 7 HR's in 101 AB's. Last night he became the first player to earn the win, hit a HR, and play the field in the same game since Babe Ruth in 1921

I could be wrong but I immediately thought of Micah Owings

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
I believe the Brewers had a pitcher who was a big time stick that they started at 1B a few times. He was a pitch hitting legend as he was all or nothing.

Brooks was his first name.

I believe the Brewers had a pitcher who was a big time stick that they started at 1B a few times. He was a pitch hitting legend as he was all or nothing.

Brooks was his first name.

Good call-Brooks Kieschnick.....I think he was an All American as a pitcher and hitter at the U of Texas

John Olerud was an All American pitcher at Washington St. If I remember correctly the reason he gave up pitching entirely was because of the brain aneurysm he had and it was too much of a risk to pitch after that.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
John Olerud was an All American pitcher at Washington St. If I remember correctly the reason he gave up pitching entirely was because of the brain aneurysm he had and it was too much of a risk to pitch after that.

Odd. Being hit in the head batting has to be 10x more likely than pitching. could have pitched with one of those steve tasker type of helmets with the extra crown on it.

Brendan McKay who is pitching today was drafted to play the field and pitch. Hitting is clearly the weaker part of his game tho.
Obviously Shohei Ohtani goes on this list. Who is strong on both ends.

Rick Ankiel comes to mind. Adam Loewen tried to come back as an outfielder a while ago

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Brendan McKay who is pitching today was drafted to play the field and pitch. Hitting is clearly the weaker part of his game tho.
Obviously Shohei Ohtani goes on this list. Who is strong on both ends.

Rick Ankiel comes to mind. Adam Loewen tried to come back as an outfielder a while ago

The difference in Rick Ankiel’s case was that he didn’t have all the hitting experience at the lower levels that some of these others guys do. He truly had to re-invent himself.

I will never forget his case of the “yips.” Just goes to show the immense power of the mind. He literally got to the point where he could not physically throw a strike.

The difference in Rick Ankiel’s case was that he didn’t have all the hitting experience at the lower levels that some of these others guys do. He truly had to re-invent himself.

I will never forget his case of the “yips.” Just goes to show the immense power of the mind. He literally got to the point where he could not physically throw a strike.
For sure. I was just commenting on how athletic some of these dudes are to compete at the highest level on both sides of the ball.

Odd. Being hit in the head batting has to be 10x more likely than pitching. could have pitched with one of those steve tasker type of helmets with the extra crown on it.

Not odd at all. Pitchers facing a line shot off the bat are much more exposed to dangerous line shots off the bat with higher velocity and less reaction time than a pitch they can track out of the hand.

kane

EOG master
Bauer at this rare + number as well.....

Bauer has been terrible since joining the Reds, not sure why he's been so bad, but so far things just haven't worked out for him, maybe he's hiding an injury or tipping his pitches, I don't know, but he hasn't been the same pitcher in Cincinnati he was in Cleveland

kane

EOG master
Agree....but he is better than lately....I'll take the + money

I can't back him, but I'm a Reds fan so I'll root for you, if Bauer can eventually come around the Reds could have a nice rotation next year, if they can find some hitting, I think they could be a surprise team next season