Mike Martz on Trey Lance

Heim

EOG Master
He's not ready. 9ers made a soap opera out of this with Garrapolo practicing on a seperate field while
they tried to deal him....silly.

I know they had contract issues with him, but the competition should have been open, not a default
to a #1.

So now you have a frazzled #1 and a former starting Qb not wanted. Yet the market treats them
like the 86 Bears.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I was surprised at the number of "power runs" the 49ers called for Trey Lance.

I know he's big and strong (nearly 6-4 and 225), but why play to win the battle and not the war?

He's only 22 years old.

Risky, very risky.

railbird

EOG Master

I know he's big and strong (nearly 6-4 and 225), but why play to win the battle and not the war?

He's only 22 years old.

Risky, very risky.
thats the only thing he can do well

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
The weather was bad. When he throws for 2 TDs and runs for another 2 against Seattle next week all with an injury plagued team then what will the narrative be?

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
I'll agree way later down the line but even then we need to see if Kittle finds the field soon. Mitchell is out for the season. The Bears game shouldn't and won't be indicative of their season, at least I hope not. It was wet and nasty especially in the last quarter.

49ers are a great team still but from a gambling perspective I'm not laying the number I'm seeing now on them against Seattle.

And I do agree with you and look for your insight on west coast sports. I just don't post it.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

He's only 22 years old.

Risky, very risky.

Trey Lance OUT for the year.

Broken ankle.

I watch so many games out of time sync in replay mode on NFL+ that the revival of this 2022 thread threw me off for a second running on only moderate morning coffee intake.

I was like "a weather game?" The "Bears," what?

"Fast-forwarding" to 2023, I just don't see from his on-field performance that Lance is doing the off-field work that a young QB needs to do to be an on-field success. Including after having all that time since he went down with the injury to work on the mental aspects of the game.

That apparent lack of work ethic typically is not something that can be fixed with simply a different coach, and Brian Griese has the makings of an excellent QB coach where Lance currently already is at.

Like a theme from The Celestine Prophecy (throwback alert to '90's era new age stuff), I always try to leave room for players to change and improve -- it helps keeps you from getting caught flat-footed as a sports bettor.

But Lance is on his way to a bust, so far.

boston massacre

EOG Master
I watch so many games out of time sync in replay mode on NFL+ that the revival of this 2022 thread threw me off for a second running on only moderate morning coffee intake.

I was like "a weather game?" The "Bears," what?

"Fast-forwarding" to 2023, I just don't see from his on-field performance that Lance is doing the off-field work that a young QB needs to do to be an on-field success. Including after having all that time since he went down with the injury to work on the mental aspects of the game.

That apparent lack of work ethic typically is not something that can be fixed with simply a different coach, and Brian Griese has the makings of an excellent QB coach where Lance currently already is at.

Like a theme from The Celestine Prophecy (throwback alert to '90's era new age stuff), I always try to leave room for players to change and improve -- it helps keeps you from getting caught flat-footed as a sports bettor.

But Lance is on his way to a bust, so far.

Especially If He's The Back Up All Year.

That Will Be 3 Years Of San Fran. Getting Nothing Out Of Him.

What Did They Trade Away To Move Up To Get Him, 3 #1's ?

Heim

EOG Master
Interesting how a few teams need a Qb....9ers were trying to unload him up until training camp, no takers.

. . . or that QB, anyway . . . I would imagine that he's expensive to take off the 49ers' hands over and above the live question as to whether he's worth even a substantial fraction of his contract money in the market at this point (unless SF were to eat a substantial part of the pain, but then why bother) . . . which likely was why SF was trying to find some way to back out of a serious draft miss (or now, mess)

. . . on a mark-to-market basis, he ain't looking good at the moment, and he isn't doing what he would need to do to change that . . . not playing well in a preseason game in year 2 after all they spent on him??? not freakin' good at all

blueline

EOG Master
Lance can't process information quickly enough at NFL speed...not my evaluation I dont pretend to be an expert evaluator..Trubisky and Fields are 2 other examples of not processing fast enough....fixable?...Dallas takes a flyer in something that only costs them 5-6 million

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Lance can't process information quickly enough at NFL speed...not my evaluation I dont pretend to be an expert evaluator..Trubisky and Fields are 2 other examples of not processing fast enough....fixable?...Dallas takes a flyer in something that only costs them 5-6 million
The 4th round pick was a nice return for SF