Mitch/Foles prop

Valuist

EOG Master
Was in the car this morning and heard VSIN for the first time in about two weeks. They talked about a prop wager who would start week 1 (IF there is a NFL season) at QB for the Bears. They had Foles listed as a minus 200 favorite.

This has nothing to do with who is better, or who would win more games. To be back for the 2021 season, GM Pace needs to not only win, but win WITH Trubisky as the QB, with him being a major contributor. Pace's future has been riding on that decision to deal three picks to move up 1 slot before the 2017 draft. Foles may end up starting more games, but is no lock. But minus 200 is a terrible bet for Foles. While I'm no fan of Mitch, if I see him at plus 150 or 160, that's a definite wager.

cheapseats

EOG Master
Hard to predict, but I would guess therapies will be in place by then to at least have some proven outcomes, and see them making some sort of mask required to sit in the stands. Saw also, like MLB, 2-4 stadiums.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
BetOnline has this to be Da Bears Week 1 starter.....so they are not thaaaaaat far off

Foles -175
Mitch +135

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Foles comes in from the Bullpen if needed. That's how he works best. Unless Mitch is hurt, or totally shits the bed in the exhibitions(if they play them), I'd expect Mitch to start, but be on a VERY short leash.

To try and save a little bit of face from the horrible trade and draft pick the Bears will allow Trubisky to begin the season as starter in my opinion

To do otherwise would be a complete public admission of their own stupidity

If the Bears go the other route I will applaud the front office boldness

Valuist

EOG Master
i can't see mich at QB over foles.. but it could start that way but i would not bet it

If GM wants to keep his job, he has to start Mitch, and Mitch has to play well. Foles is a 2 hit wonder. Looked real good in 2013 and the playoff run up thru the Super Bowl. But the rest of his career? Not very good. Am I saying Mitch is better? No. But there's a sliver of a chance he still can improve. And that's Pace's only shot to stay in the league, IMO.

Valuist

EOG Master
So the Bears decline the 2021 option on Trubisky.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id...ecline-fifth-year-option-qb-mitchell-trubisky

Smart move? For the team, sure. For GM Pace? It's an admission that his single biggest move was a failure. Maybe he has a job in 2021 IF he wins 10 games and gets to the playoffs. I'm not even sure about that. Maybe if they do that with Mitch at QB, he could keep his job. Anything less and it's hard to justify keeping him as GM.

Valuist

EOG Master
Ironic that four of the top five in that draft didn’t get their deals extended.

I was not aware of that. I know Garrett was extended. I don't understand the thinking on Fournette. Was 1600 yards from scrimmage not enough? I didn't realize Jax had some kind of offensive line for the ages where 1600 rush and receiving yards would be deemed substandard.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I was not aware of that. I know Garrett was extended. I don't understand the thinking on Fournette. Was 1600 yards from scrimmage not enough? I didn't realize Jax had some kind of offensive line for the ages where 1600 rush and receiving yards would be deemed substandard.
Questions about his work ethic. All of these players will land somewhere, just at a cheaper price.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
What is a good work ethic if there's no results? Fournette provided results. Must be a personality conflict between him and the front office.

I'd say good work ethic isn't a big factor in the first few years, however it plays a big part in longevity and results. I'd use Emmitt Smith and Frank Gore as examples of great work ethic.

Last edited:

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
What is a good work ethic if there's no results? Fournette provided results. Must be a personality conflict between him and the front office.
They have had a lot of off the field issues in the last couple of years., traded Ramsey away last year.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Before we bury Mitch let's not forget Foles has been with 5 teams...
He has enough talent and reasonable salary to be on five more before he retires.

WInky - I think Ramsey will play better this season (if there is one). It is hard to switch teams in the middle of a season. The Rams have made some head-scratching moves in the last couple of seasons.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
He has enough talent and reasonable salary to be on five more before he retires.

WInky - I think Ramsey will play better this season (if there is one). It is hard to switch teams in the middle of a season. The Rams have made some head-scratching moves in the last couple of seasons.

Maybe so. But to give up that much when they didn't have a lot left over to begin with and a bad cap situation was a head scratching move. Rams are on the decline and a lack of draft picks doesn't help.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Trubisky played most of last season with a torn labrum of his non-throwing shoulder.

The Bears finished 2-10 ATS after Trubisky hit the ground in Week 4.

Here's more info from the NFL's website (NFL.com):

Trubisky missed most of Week 4 after suffering the injury and sat out Week 5. He returned but struggled most of the season, completing 63.2 percent of his passes with 17 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Noticeably, Trubisky ran less in 2019, particularly in the games immediately after suffering the injury.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
No chance the starting tailback for the Jags this year has 1600 or more scrimmage yards this year. No chance in hell.
Look at it this way, he'll be playing for a contract. If jax knows they are not resigning him, they may run him into the ground.

blueline

EOG Master
Bears coach Matt Nagy indicated he might make preseason games a tad more interesting than he has the last two seasons.

Nagy severely limited the playing time of his starters during preseason games in 2018 and 2019. But after the Bears declared it an “open competition” between Nick Foles and Mitch Trubisky to be the starting quarterback, Nagy said he could use those games as a measuring stick.

“If we play those four preseason games … that's the best time for us to be able to get the evaluation process going,” Nagy said. “We need to get as many reps as we can to be able to see what they're doing.”

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
What about now
Just noticed this at BOL. Mitch has been anywhere from +200 to +250 to be the starter. Now this?? I think the latter is actually more true to what we'll see, but did anything happen to cause the sudden shift? Less Exhibition games helping the incumbent, maybe?

Monday, Jul 06, 2020

NFL Free Agency

Bears starting QB in Week 1 of 2020 Reg.Season

11:59 PM
16201Mitchell Trubisky-120
16204Nick Foles-110

Valuist

EOG Master
Just noticed this at BOL. Mitch has been anywhere from +200 to +250 to be the starter. Now this?? I think the latter is actually more true to what we'll see, but did anything happen to cause the sudden shift? Less Exhibition games helping the incumbent, maybe?

Monday, Jul 06, 2020

NFL Free Agency

Bears starting QB in Week 1 of 2020 Reg.Season

11:59 PM
16201Mitchell Trubisky-120
16204Nick Foles-110

Definitely think that only 2 exhibition games works to Trubisky's favor.

Valuist

EOG Master
I wouldn't have paid Foles that money but he's not a one-hit wonder. He's a two hit wonder. What was the year under Chip Kelly, 2013? He had the 27-2 TD/INT ratio, or something close to that?

I'm not a Foles believer at all but a buddy mine was talking highly of him last week. He played safety against Foles for two years and said Foles was the most frustrating QB he faced because he rarely forced the issue trying to sucker him into risky passes. He says his arm is very underrated.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I wouldn't have paid Foles that money but he's not a one-hit wonder. He's a two hit wonder. What was the year under Chip Kelly, 2013? He had the 27-2 TD/INT ratio, or something close to that?

You had it right, Valuist.

Foles threw 27 touchdown passes against only two interceptions in the 2013 NFL season.

Career regular-season numbers for Foles: 71 TDs and 35 INTs.

An 11/5 career split in six postseason games.

MrTop

EOG Master
they went at it in the playoffs a couple of years ago. foles with eagles. Eagles win Final 16-15 in chicago

foles 7-14 3rd & 4th down

mitch 5-16 3rd down

Valuist

EOG Master
You had it right, Valuist.

Foles threw 27 touchdown passes against only two interceptions in the 2013 NFL season.

Career regular-season numbers for Foles: 71 TDs and 35 INTs.

An 11/5 career split in six postseason games.

I like pitchers like that. Wildly inconsistent. Their "A" game is very good. But its all binary; there's no in between. But after 2013 and before late 2017, Foles had a bad run.