MLB Hot Stove 2024

kane

EOG master
Losing Burnes has gotten all the attention but Woodruff very good as well. We knew he would miss a decent amount but not he's out all year.

Big loss for them, with Wade Miley starting the season on the IL, this is their projected rotation: Freddy Peralta, Colin Rea, DL Hall, Joe Ross, Jakob Junis, and Junis is dealing with shoulder soreness, on paper that's pretty ugly, their every day SL won't scare anyone either

kane

EOG master
Just saw where Gerrit Cole might need TJ, I played them Under 93.5, if the injury isn't as bad I'll likely come back on the Over and get off it
Their win total is now 91.5, I'm going to sit with my Under position, also added the Phillies Over 89.5

kane

EOG master
I'm all in on the D-Backs this year, have them +3300 WS, +110 to make the playoffs, Over 83.5, and Corbin Carroll +2200 MVP
Like everything about this team, rotation, pen, and SL, think Carroll is a star
Jordan Montgomery signed a 1 year deal with the snakes, me likey

Valuist

EOG Master
CHC Over 84.5

I almost played it but didn't. I've played it last 2 years and it came in (by a 1/2 game in 2022) but I felt I was being too much of a fan so I passed. I think Milw takes a big step back. Everyone else should improve upon 2023 win total. Reds have some injury issues but their rotation should be healthier than last year. Was St Louis a one year implosion? The organization made some bizarre moves last year. But when you are good that long, I'm leery that they are bad again. Pirates should be improved with Cruz there all year and Skenes coming up at some point.

kane

EOG master
The organization made some bizarre moves last year. But when you are good that long, I'm leery that they are bad again.
The Cardinals have a winning culture, that's pretty much the only thing that kept we off betting Under their win total, but instead played them to not make the playoffs, their rotation wasn't good last year, and on paper doesn't look good this year, with Sonny Gray starting the season on the IL, right now their rotation looks like Miles Mikolas, Zach Thompson, Lance Lynn, Kyle Gibson, and Steven Matz, I don't think that's good enough to make the postseason, even with Gray coming back I don't think their pitching is good enough, I have them projected to finish third in the Central, and I can't see three teams from that division getting into the playoffs

kane

EOG master
I took the Marlins under 76.5 wins this season
I have them Under 78.5, here's what I posted at another forum

The Marlins were the total opposite of the Padres, they were 33-14 in one run games last year, they're due for some serious regression, they also lost their ace Sandy Alcantara to TJ surgery, and they lost Jorge Soler who led them in HR's last year, they won a lot more games last year than their metrics suggested

In addition to the expected regression in one run games, along with Alcantara being out, their young stud Eury Perez is dealing with elbow soreness and is starting the season on the IL, right now they don't think it's serious, but given how young he is they'll be very cautious with him, their projected rotation is Jesus Luzardo, AJ Puk, Trevor Rogers, Ryan Weathers, and Max Meyer. Luzardo is solid and a dark horse to win the NL CY, Puk has been a reliever his whole career and has never started a game, in 2021 Rogers was terrific posting a 2.64 ERA and a 1.150 WHIP, the next year in 2022 his ERA ballooned to 5.47 with a 1.505 WHIP, and last year he only started a few games before getting hurt, don't know what to expect from him this year but he's a question mark, Weathers has started a total of 31 games in his career and has a career ERA of 5.88, not very inspiring, and Meyer, while considered a big time prospect, is coming off TJ surgery, so tough to predict how he'll do. This has always been a franchise built around their starting pitching and hope to scratch across enough runs to win a 4-3 type game, the problem is this year's staff has a lot of question marks other than Luzardo who I think is primed to have a big year. Bottom line is, between the injuries and questions surrounding their rotation, combined with losing their best power hitter, plus the regression in games decided by one run, I think they go under their win total.

Valuist

EOG Master
Something to watch; just heard on back to back days, somebody hit a HR into the Fridays at Chase Field. That apparently doesn't happen often, so wonder if the ball is juiced.

MrTop

EOG Master
it looks like rain thursday for the mets....100%.... what a way to semi-kick off the season

dodgers/pads game should have never happened. It should be today or thurs

Last edited:

cheapseats

EOG Master
Oakland had just over 3,700 fans in attendance for opening day. Boycott by the liberals. Guess they weren't let in free and given all you can drink beer with dogs.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Oakland had just over 3,700 fans in attendance for opening day. Boycott by the liberals. Guess they weren't let in free and given all you can drink beer with dogs.
They quoted a game attendance of just over 13k

I guess the boycott was to party in the parking lot.

Wonder if Oakland simply counters by upping the cost of parking at the game? Zig and zag

kane

EOG master
Gotta like Mookie's chances at NL MVP. The guy just starts playing SS like its nothing. What an amazing athlete.
I believe he came up as a second baseman before converting to the outfield, easily one of the best players in the game, my concern with his MVP candidacy is due to the other two guys on the team the three of them might end up splitting the vote, I took a shot with Corbin Carroll +2200, love everything about the kid, he's already a star and I don't think he's reached his ceiling

kane

EOG master
I know it's very early in the season, but so far the Marlins have been even worse than I thought they would be, the loss of Soler has already been felt as they've hit only 4 HR's in their first 6 games, and 3 of them came in one game, their starters have pitched 26 innings and their pen 29, their starters have averaged 4.1 innings per start, Sandy was the only guy they have who would routinely pitch 7+ innings, now they have a bunch of 5 inning guys, by the time July rolls around their pen will be gassed from overwork, and their 0-6 start has come at home against two teams that figure to finish last in their division, I expected some regression from them this year, but didn't expect it so soon and so sudden, and I can't see it getting any better, I know they don't generate the revenue like the Yankees or Dodgers, but when you're trading a good player for two low level prospects because they felt the need to dump his 3 million a year salary, there's little reason to have any hope for this franchise, imagine in today's age a salary dump because they didn't want to pay him 3M, to most organizations that's pocket change, last year's playoff berth was clearly an aberration. As I said the season is very early, plenty of time for them to right the ship, I just don't know how they'll be able to do it

Heim

EOG Master
Rendon's signing has single handily ruined the Halos motivation to lure free agents. Hamilton started
the disinterest, now Moreno is terrified to do anything. Which makes sense.

Their biggest signing off season Stephenson, hurt. Curse or bad decisions?