MLB Hot Stove League news, notes, and rumors

Bryant really doesn't want to leave Chicago. No idea how it will end up since Boras is the agent.

I guess if Arenado is getting along with the team in camp they won't rush to make the move. The way it was spun by the local pundits was Bryant moves to 1st base eventually and they hand 3rd to elite prospect Rodgers.

A healthy Bryant could easily eclipse 50 HRs playing half his games at Coors.

That's asking a lot. Coors Field amplifies the value of guys who don't strike out because the hit rate is so much higher with the large field. That's why Arenado's oWAR is higher, he's really brought down his SO rate. Bryant could hit plenty of homers, probably 35-40 a year consistently at Coors Field but also bump up his slash line by not being too aggressive.

Clearly Arenado is about as good as ever has been defensively at the position, but 3B defense isn't as important when you have a good SS next to you such as Story. The Cubs breaking in a new SS need Arenado's glove, while the Rox need someone to fill in the offensive black hole that has been 1B and a place to get Rodgers a full time spot. With Arenado not likely to stay around past his opt out date, I think the trade makes a ton of sense even if Bryant leaves in a few years too.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
That's asking a lot. Coors Field amplifies the value of guys who don't strike out because the hit rate is so much higher with the large field. That's why Arenado's oWAR is higher, he's really brought down his SO rate. Bryant could hit plenty of homers, probably 35-40 a year consistently at Coors Field but also bump up his slash line by not being too aggressive.

Clearly Arenado is about as good as ever has been defensively at the position, but 3B defense isn't as important when you have a good SS next to you such as Story. The Cubs breaking in a new SS need Arenado's glove, while the Rox need someone to fill in the offensive black hole that has been 1B and a place to get Rodgers a full time spot. With Arenado not likely to stay around past his opt out date, I think the trade makes a ton of sense even if Bryant leaves in a few years too.

Valuist

EOG Master
I think these teams who are holding fans hostage to sign up for a specific network are asking for trouble. The Dodgers come to mind, the Indians last year and reportedly the Cubs are locking out Comcast viewers. Did the Cubs forget how they acquired a big fanbase from free games on WGN?

MrTop

EOG Master
I think these teams who are holding fans hostage to sign up for a specific network are asking for trouble. The Dodgers come to mind, the Indians last year and reportedly the Cubs are locking out Comcast viewers. Did the Cubs forget how they acquired a big fanbase from free games on WGN?

the owners don't care.. yanks did it years ago to the fans. wait till the virus hits.. they will beg us to watch it

MrTop

EOG Master
will the mariners have a crowd the 1st month? they might not let people in ..maybe just the players coaches etc.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
It depends what side of the Comcast debate you’re on involving the Cubs. They are offering the same rate to them as to directv and everyone else. Comcast is playing hardball since they partially CSN. I’m directly across the lake from Chicago and Comcast here gets all Chicago channels, but blacked out on Chicago sports channels. We used to get them from south bend, but that option is now gone also. MLB really needs so solve the blackout market issues.

Denver market been dealing with this already. Seemed unbelievable at the start, but Comcast is saying fuck you to any unaffiliated RSNs in the hopes of either getting a huge price cut or being able to buy these assets on the cheap later. Best combined year ever for Avs and Nuggets and most of the local market can't watch the games. I think in the end the leagues and teams need to figure out how to distribute local content digitally. I pay for NHL package online so can just do a little tech and watch the Avs here, but in the end wouldn't it make sense just to sell a local team subscription and cut out the cable companies? My sense is Direct is the only one who still has a sports driven strategy and if they lose Sunday ticket that could change too.