MLB Hot Stove League news, notes, and rumors

kane

EOG master
The White Sox have signed FA catcher Yasmani Grandal to a 4 year 73 million dollar deal

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
seems like too much, probably a year too many, but guy coming off his best season. he's 31. Molina is pushing 40.

only Realmuto can match him past two seasons

Valuist

EOG Master
seems like too much, probably a year too many, but guy coming off his best season. he's 31. Molina is pushing 40.

only Realmuto can match him past two seasons

But a big difference playing in climate controlled Miller Park and the Cell, or the Rate or whatever they call it now. We will see how he handles playing in cold. He will get plenty of chances.

kane

EOG master
The Reds and FA second baseman Mike Moustakas have agreed on a 4 year deal worth 64 Million, as a Reds fan I'm not used to them spending money in free agency, but from what I've been reading they might not be done

kane

EOG master
The Marlins have signed first baseman Jesus Aguilar and infielder Jonathan Villar. I like the Villar signing, he had a very good year for the Orioles last season

kane

EOG master
The Braves and FA pitcher Cole Hamels have agreed on a 1 year 18M contract, nice signing by Atlanta

Valuist

EOG Master
The Braves and FA pitcher Cole Hamels have agreed on a 1 year 18M contract, nice signing by Atlanta

They only went one year so limited downside. But I'm not sure how much he can give them at this point. He'll be 36 years old and hasn't thrown over 200 innings since 2015 and has had an over 4 ERA in each of the last 3 seasons.

Valuist

EOG Master
The Phils need starting pitching, and when healthy Wheeler is a good pitcher, but he's got a big time injury history, they're taking a risk giving him 5 years, and that's a lot of money

Way too much for Wheeler. They still have a lot of years with McCutcheon's contract. Arrieta will come off books after 2020. Not really sure what they are trying to accomplish.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Way too much for Wheeler. They still have a lot of years with McCutcheon's contract. Arrieta will come off books after 2020. Not really sure what they are trying to accomplish.
White Sox allegedly offered $120 mil but his fiancé wanted to stay close to home.

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
Agree.
Hamels has an extensive and impressive resume with some outstanding achievements on the mound with some quality teams
including playoff experience.
He’s also got some brief history with Alex Anthopolous in his time with the Jays when Hamels almost went to Toronto in a trade.

He could also add value to Braves as a “Crash Davis” type mentor to young pitchers (Bull Durham reference).

kane

EOG master
They only went one year so limited downside. But I'm not sure how much he can give them at this point. He'll be 36 years old and hasn't thrown over 200 innings since 2015 and has had an over 4 ERA in each of the last 3 seasons.

While he might not be the pitcher he was once, the Braves don't need him to be a horse, he just needs to be a solid part of their rotation, and in his two years with the Cubs he started 39 games and pitched to an ERA of 3.30, I wouldn't give him a long term deal, but for one year I think it's a good signing and will help solidify the Brave's rotation

Valuist

EOG Master
While he might not be the pitcher he was once, the Braves don't need him to be a horse, he just needs to be a solid part of their rotation, and in his two years with the Cubs he started 39 games and pitched to an ERA of 3.30, I wouldn't give him a long term deal, but for one year I think it's a good signing and will help solidify the Brave's rotation

I saw your post and thought there's no way the 3.30 was correct. I looked it up and yes, it was correct. But.....that was mostly due to his 12 starts with them in 2018, after not pitching well with Texas. His walk numbers now over 3 walks per 9 IP last 3 years, and alternative ERA stats suggest he's an over 4 ERA pitcher. I have nothing against Hamels, who gave the Cubs a big boost in 2018, but at 36 years of age with declining control and stamina, this does not sway me to not bet the Braves RSW total under, assuming that number is at least in the low 90s.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Looks like Boros has changed his strategy this offseason and is getting his clients signed early.

interested in seeing where Castellenos goes and for how much. I’m surprised the cubs are playing small ball with contracts, he will not return to the North Side.

kane

EOG master
The Indians have agreed to trade Corey Kluber to the Rangers, don't know any other details, news just breaking

Valuist

EOG Master
The Indians trade of Kluber is either just a salary dump, or he still has physical issues as they did not get much back. DeShields and the 30th best prospect in Ranger organization doesn't seem like much for a two time Cy Young Award winner.

Texas top 4 of Kluber/Minor/Lynn/Gibson is not bad.

The Indians trade of Kluber is either just a salary dump, or he still has physical issues as they did not get much back. DeShields and the 30th best prospect in Ranger organization doesn't seem like much for a two time Cy Young Award winner.

Texas top 4 of Kluber/Minor/Lynn/Gibson is not bad.

Five years of 200+ innings and then an injury year at 33? I kind of agree with the Tribe, you don't pay that $18m. Plus there's no real long term value there, he's going FA after 2021 so unless he returns to top form right away, its basically a short period of control. Hard to get assets. Only way they might have gotten more was to take the chance he returned to good form and then deadline deal him.

MrTop

EOG Master
Looks like Boros has changed his strategy this offseason and is getting his clients signed early.

interested in seeing where Castellenos goes and for how much. I’m surprised the cubs are playing small ball with contracts, he will not return to the North Side.

theo said in the past.. he will build from within and not make the same mistake with getting rid of top picks for top players. So the free agent big splash days are over for the cubs.

Valuist

EOG Master
Five years of 200+ innings and then an injury year at 33? I kind of agree with the Tribe, you don't pay that $18m. Plus there's no real long term value there, he's going FA after 2021 so unless he returns to top form right away, its basically a short period of control. Hard to get assets. Only way they might have gotten more was to take the chance he returned to good form and then deadline deal him.

I think there's a decent chance he does return to form, at least for 2020. He broke a forearm getting hit by a line drive, and did come back after it healed, only to pull an oblique. But his shoulder and elbow got quite a break, as he only made 7 starts in 2019.