more proof why Derek Jeter Sucks

Re: more proof why Derek Jeter Sucks

about as good as you can expect from a SS.

Oh, my fault. I thought we were looking at him as compared to all players.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

There are a lot better ways to measure a players offensive production than batting average, starting with line drive (10%), ground ball rate (72%), and IsoP (0 HRS, only 2 2Bs), both of which Jeter's numbers are pathetic - and off the charts pathetic for someone who signed $51 million dollar contract last year. The scary thing is that Jeter is actually hitting .292 on his groundballs while the AL average is .221 meaning that he has been very lucky to get as many hits as he has. Oh, and he has 0 SBs as a lead off man.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

about as good as you can expect from a SS.

Oh, my fault. I thought we were looking at him as compared to all players.
This is a joke right? My goodness. SO Ichiro isn't good because he doesn't drive in runs and doesn't hit for power? What a clueless statement. Jeter got 200+ hits a season, scored 120 runs, drove in 80, hit for decent power, played an above average SS for a long time, and drove in a ton of big runs but he wasn't an elite player? In the top 10 of MVP voting for 8 years in a row? Not sure what you were watching, but the need for society to judge a player based on his weakest moments has always been a troubling characteristic. There was 1 SS in the game that people would have taken ahead of Jeter in the past 15 years and he's a 3rd baseman, and Jeters teammate now - A-Rod.

The fact that his runs scored, runs produced, and ability to make things happen by hitting to all fields for 18 years is being discarded because he played in an era filled with 'roid raging monsters is the exact reason why steroids was bad for baseball. 18-20 HR's, 35-40 doubles, 70-80 RBI's, 15-25 SB's, and an average between 310-350 for 10+ years in a row at the toughest defensive position in the game - while holding the post season hit record - and we're arguing whether he was even a great player? That's laughable... most hits in the most storied franchise in baseball's history but he's a bum because he doesn't hitter HR's - Ichiro and him are a bunch of jokers I guess.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

There are a lot better ways to measure a players offensive production than batting average, starting with line drive (10%), ground ball rate (72%), and IsoP (0 HRS, only 2 2Bs), both of which Jeter's numbers are pathetic - and off the charts pathetic for someone who signed $51 million dollar contract last year. The scary thing is that Jeter is actually hitting .292 on his groundballs while the AL average is .221 meaning that he has been very lucky to get as many hits as he has. Oh, and he has 0 SBs as a lead off man.
Once again, ignoring a guys baseball achievements because he has followed a similar aging path as non-juicers is silly. Blame the Yankees for the contract, and be grateful that, you, as a Yankee fan, got to watch one of the greatest SS's of all-time for 10+ years.

?

ELITE OFFENSIVE PLAYER

This is the term that's causing my confusion I guess.

Ichiro is a great hitter.ELITE OFFENSIVE PLAYER? idk.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

?

ELITE OFFENSIVE PLAYER

This is the term that's causing my confusion I guess.

Ichiro is a great hitter.ELITE OFFENSIVE PLAYER? idk.
Did you really just question if Ichiro is an elite offensive player? Yikes... I respect your opinion bud, as I think you know, and enjoy our back and forth discussions - we agree much more than we disagree - but I don't see where you're coming from here.

Go look at Jeter and Ichiro's run production compared to big sluggers. I completely disagree with you if you think you have to hit for power to be an elite offensive player...

Was Pete Rose not an elite offensive player?

I can't believe I'm spending this much time defending a stinking Yankee. Fuck the Yankees for the record.

Guess I need to lower my standards as it pertains to upper echelon sports figures.

Shouldn't be that difficult.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Once again, ignoring a guys baseball achievements because he has followed a similar aging path as non-juicers is silly. Blame the Yankees for the contract, and be grateful that, you, as a Yankee fan, got to watch one of the greatest SS's of all-time for 10+ years.

One of the greatest SSs of all time is currently playing third base for the Yanks. Jeter isn't in the same discussion as him. I'm very grateful for Jeter's contributions during those years when I watched the Yanks religiously growing up (Paul O'Neil was my favorite player back then), but how Jeter--and the Yanks--handled his current contract was an unmitigated disaster.

One of the greatest SSs of all time is currently playing third base for the Yanks. Jeter isn't in the same discussion as him. I'm very grateful for Jeter's contributions during those years when I watched the Yanks religiously growing up (Paul O'Neil was my favorite player back then), but how Jeter--and the Yanks--handled his current contract was an unmitigated disaster.

A-Rod , the greatest shortstop ever having to change position is insane, OK you can argue roids against him, but it is a moot point. No way A-Rod should have been the one to move over to 3B.

I used to like Jeter and his hustle, now I hate him and root for him to go 0-5 and ground into double plays, and yet have the Yanks win the game, if I have no bet on the game.

I think teams should start positioning against Jeter like it was a tied game in the bottom of the ninth with one out and a runner at third.....bring everybody way in.

Hell, why not not bring the infield way in and have the outfield play at Little league depth ? The shortstop could be right behind the pitcher, and LF, CF , and RF could play could play 10 feet back of normal 3B, 2B, 1B....that would sure fuck with Jeter's big head !

That would be so fucking awesome in a blowout game by whoever is beating the yankees, put 9 infielders ( essentially) at Jeter....where a normal/deep flyball is over the outfielder's head and maybe an inside the park HR.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Jeter! finally the guy played awesome. Lets see more of the same.

I miss Jeter in the line-up. I like to root for him to make outs and double plays and K's, even though I'm a Yankee fan of sorts !

He's about 37, came off the worst year of his career, and a contract year, then he gets this insane contract, this year is no better than last year. He adds nothing to the team. He is a worthless player....and he already got paid well when he was good.

He is in the bottom third of starting shortstops.

munson15

I want winners...

Just as Posada did, he got paid for past perormance, kind of a golden parachute, nothing wrong with that when you consider the money the Yankees have wasted on bum players throughout the years when they've been flush with cash.

How about getting a real SS, though ! Nunez seems error-prone, but he is as good/ bad as Jeter. That Castro kid on the Cubs looks good. Maybe get Reyes. Jeter needs to get benched long before his contract ends. Yanks fans aren't that loyal to Jeter, they'd rather win.

I never thought Posada was great, just OK.