more proof why Derek Jeter Sucks

Sam Rothstein

EOG Enthusiast
Derek Jeter continues to prove how overrated he has always been batting .250 and the ground ball percentage way too high at 75 percent.Only has 26 hits on the season and 10 of those hits have been infield singles he leads the league in that category.Only 2 have been extra base hits fewest in baseball among every day players both doubles. He has not hit a home run since August 24 a stretch of 242 at bats.Did I mention he makes 17M a season and is regarded as one of the best SS in baseball history despite these numbers he puts up every season with no range defensively helping him get no errors.Why he continues to bat leadoff and start every day is asinine the Yankees are a much better ballclub with Eduardo Nunez at SS.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows
Re: more proof why Derek Jeter Sucks

Overrated? Man these comments make me laugh... if you think 3,000+ hits in 15 years with 3 World Series Titles is overrated we don't agree.

munson15

I want winners...

He's not regarded as a great shortstop based on the last season and a quarter. But, I agree, he's finished as an elite hitter. Girardi is merely giving him enough time to prove he can't be a top-of-the-order run producer before making a lineup change. It should happen soon, sadly. Everybody in sports gets old someday, except for maybe a 40-ish Barry Bonds.

Sam Rothstein

EOG Enthusiast

Overrated? Man these comments make me laugh... if you think 3,000+ hits in 15 years with 3 World Series Titles is overrated we don't agree.

getting 3,000 hits when you get no walks and are the only easy out in the best lineup in baseball is not all that impressive to me and I am pretty sure he has more than 3 rings which mean nothing to me when the 2 greatest hitters of all time never got 1 in Ted Williams and Barry Bonds

Sam Rothstein

EOG Enthusiast

He's not regarded as a great shortstop based on the last season and a quarter. But, I agree, he's finished as an elite hitter. Girardi is merely giving him enough time to prove he can't be a top-of-the-order run producer before making a lineup change. It should happen soon, sadly. Everybody in sports gets old someday, except for maybe a 40-ish Barry Bonds.

Chipper Jones has 23 RBI at age 40

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

getting 3,000 hits when you get no walks and are the only easy out in the best lineup in baseball is not all that impressive to me and I am pretty sure he has more than 3 rings which mean nothing to me when the 2 greatest hitters of all time never got 1 in Ted Williams and Barry Bonds
If you think getting 3,000 hits in the Major Leagues is not an accomplishment then you're simply a DJ hater.

Sam Rothstein

EOG Enthusiast

If you think getting 3,000 hits in the Major Leagues is not an accomplishment then you're simply a DJ hater.

if you think Derek Jeter and that guy Gordon Beckham are good players than you know a whole heck of alot bout baseball

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

if you think Derek Jeter and that guy Gordon Beckham are good players than you know a whole heck of alot bout baseball
Well you're judging Jeter on his 34-38 years instead of his early years. The guy was a dominant offensive player for a long time and I'm no Yankee fan. Yes, I'm a Gordo fan - didn't know that meant anything when talking about Jeter.

Sam Rothstein

EOG Enthusiast

Well you're judging Jeter on his 34-38 years instead of his early years. The guy was a dominant offensive player for a long time and I'm no Yankee fan. Yes, I'm a Gordo fan - didn't know that meant anything when talking about Jeter.

great players should produce despite getting older the Yankees are a much better team with A-Rod at SS and Chavez at 3B or Nunez at SS

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

I agree with most of what Sam says here. DJ has been a liability at the top of the order and at SS for a number of years. At this point, you could pay a minor leaguer for similar level of production for about 14.5 million less. But Timely is also correct that he has had a great career and will go down as a Yankee legend.

He got paid well for his good seasons and prior accomplishments. I watch a lot of NYY games, Jeter's hits are cheap infield singles and he often gets credited for a hit on a defensive error.

I'm not sure he can even hit .250 anymore. If you're going to hit .250 you should also hit for power and/ or play defense like Ozzie.

He's a HOF player but he sucks now and will get worse every year, he should be released as soon as he gets his 3,000 th hit

and Jeter has a player option for the 2014 season !

Home / Sports / Baseball
Jeter, Yankees agree on contract, source says

Share | http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...g&usg=AFQjCNFqYqt8oDhNhpg9mmxn8IiXkzbaQw&tt=0 http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...g&usg=AFQjCNFqYqt8oDhNhpg9mmxn8IiXkzbaQw&tt=0 http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php...g&usg=AFQjCNFqYqt8oDhNhpg9mmxn8IiXkzbaQw&tt=0

Jeter, Yankees agree on contract, source says Associated Press | Posted: Sunday, December 12, 2010 12:00 am | No Comments Posted
<dl id="story-font-size" class="moz-border"><dt>Font Size:</dt><dd>Default font size</dd><dd>Larger font size</dd></dl>

Jeter, Yankees agree on deal, source says
Derek Jeter and the New York Yankees reached a preliminary agreement Saturday on a $51 million, three-year contract with an $8 million player option for 2014, a source said.
The guaranteed portion of the contract includes a $3 million buyout if the option is declined. If it is exercised, Jeter would earn $56 million over four seasons.
The player option can escalate to $17 million. The amount depends on a points system. He earns points based on whether he finishes anywhere among the top six in AL MVP voting and if he wins World Series MVP, league championship series MVP, Gold Glove or Silver Slugger Awards. If he earns the maximum, he would get $65 million over the four years.
There is deferred money included, which for the purposes of baseball's collective bargaining agreement and the luxury tax brings its average annual value to about $16 million annually.
The contract comes after a season in which Jeter, 36, won his fifth Gold Glove — becoming the oldest AL shortstop to win the award — but showed less range. He also declined at the plate to a .270 average with 10 homers, down from a .334 average and 18 homers the previous season. While his RBIs increased by one to 67, his on-base percentage fell from .406 to .340 and his slugging average dropped from .465 to .370.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Do we really need more proof?

do you guys know what i call a successful at bat for Jeter? If he makes a solo out and doesnt ground into a DP.

If there are runners on base and Jeter strikes out or files out, i say "YES!" As long as he only costs us 1 out, i can live with it.

munson15

I want winners...

He was an elite offensive player from 1996 through 2009. Any suggestion to the contrary reveals the ignorance of the writer. He's finished now, agreed, but let's not bury his accomplishments through the haze of his twilight years.

Will he finish up at shortstop?

No.

I don't know where else you can realistically put him ( other than the bench), if you have to keep him on the 25 man roster. He certainly isn't going to play anywhere else on the present NYY infield. You can't have a DH with no power. I don't see him knocking Gardner out of LF. Gardner isn't hitting well but at least plays great defense.

Where to hide your $17,000,000.00 gold-glove shortstop is a big problem for the NYY. This contract will be one of the worst in recent Yankee's history before long.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I would have gotten rid of this guy long ago and got something for him.

Zero chance i would have re-signed him.

If you take away his 'lucky' hits, little infield dribblers on full swings, he's hitting way worse than 250. Its rare when he gets the ball out of the infield, he's not been close to hitting 1 HR this year, i think the farthest ball he's hit on the fly has been to the short outfield and 90 percent of his throws on routine grounders short hop Tex at first. Tex is going to get injured in the field just covering this guy's ass. Routine grounders to him have yankee fans holding their breath and like i said, when he dOESNT ground into a DP, there's a shreik of joy out of the mouths of yankee fans all across this great nation.

He's probably the actual worst player in the majors right now and if he's not THE worst, he's really close.

I would have gotten rid of this guy long ago and got something for him.

Zero chance i would have re-signed him.

If you take away his 'lucky' hits, little infield dribblers on full swings, he's hitting way worse than 250. Its rare when he gets the ball out of the infield, he's not been close to hitting 1 HR this year, i think the farthest ball he's hit on the fly has been to the short outfield and 90 percent of his throws on routine grounders short hop Tex at first. Tex is going to get injured in the field just covering this guy's ass. Routine grounders to him have yankee fans holding their breath and like i said, when he dOESNT ground into a DP, there's a shreik of joy out of the mouths of yankee fans all across this great nation.

He's probably the actual worst player in the majors right now and if he's not THE worst, he's really close.

He has developed a knack for hitting the ball 2/3 rds of the way to 3rd base and just fair on a full swing, that can't last.

Varitek is worse, but he's cheap.

lap18

EOG Dedicated

Jeter robbed the Yanks. The yankees felt obligated to give that deal for three years for past performance. He was finished last year and is simply being rewarded for his career achievements at this point. Jeter is a liability to the Yankees at this point, but still a crowd draw, so the investment was warranted by New York.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

He was an elite offensive player from 1996 through 2009. Any suggestion to the contrary reveals the ignorance of the writer. He's finished now, agreed, but let's not bury his accomplishments through the haze of his twilight years.
Duh. This is what everyone is missing - excellent post Munson.

The Yankees should not have compensated Jeter for past performances from years ago. The San Diego Chargers were smart not to make that mistake with LaDanian Tomlinson. Who cares that Jeter was great from 1996-2009 (and by the way, I would dispute he was great in 2009)? He was on the down swing of his career, everyone knew it, and yet he got paid top dollar as if he was still 28 years old. Yankees fans should blame Brian Cashman, not Derek Jeter.

The Yankees should not have compensated Jeter for past performances from years ago. The San Diego Chargers were smart not to make that mistake with LaDanian Tomlinson. Who cares that Jeter was great from 1996-2009 (and by the way, I would dispute he was great in 2009)? He was on the down swing of his career, everyone knew it, and yet he got paid top dollar as if he was still 28 years old. Yankees fans should blame Brian Cashman, not Derek Jeter.

Well yes, but Jeter was pushing for something like 20 Million + and 6 years. Jeter is most likely the highest paid shortstop ever ( except for A-Rod).

NYY fans will turn on him and Boo him like he was Charlie Sheen if he doesn't improve to at least his 2010 level. This .250 Jeter who can't hit it out of the infield won't last much longer. I can see him getting #3,000 and then developing some long-term mysterious injury and being on the DL for 60+ days ( the rest of the season ). Then he can turn into a Carl Pavano for the rest of his YEARS as a Yankee....maybe he can become the GIDP coach ?

How he got that contract after his 2010 season is amazing ! I doubt Jeter would start on more than a handful of teams if he was paid 3-5 M a year.

Hmm, maybe I need to go read what elite means again.I always took it as better then great or superior..Guess I was wrong.

munson15

I want winners...

Let me help you, Costy.

<TABLE id=batting_standard class="sortable stats_table row_summable" jQuery1304687130718="56"><THEAD><TR><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc show_partial_when_sorting" align=left table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="0">Year</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc show_partial_when_sorting" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="85" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="1" tip="Player’s age at midnight of June 30th of that year">Age</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc show_partial_when_sorting" align=middle table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="2">Tm</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="86" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="3" tip="League
AL - American League (1901-present)
NL - National League (1876-present)
AA - American Association (1882-1891)
UA - Union Association (1884)
PL - Players League (1890)
FL - Federal League (1914-1915)
NA - National Association (1871-1875)">Lg</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="87" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="4" tip="Games Played or Pitched">G</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="88" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="5" tip="Plate Appearances
Estimated using AB + BB + HBP + SF + SH,
missing catcher interferences.
When this color click for a summary of each PA.">PA</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="89" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="6" tip="At Bats">AB</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="90" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="7" tip="Runs Scored/Allowed">R</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="91" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="8" tip="Hits/Hits Allowed">H</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="92" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="9" tip="Doubles Hit/Allowed">2B</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="93" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="10" tip="Triples Hit/Allowed">3B</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="94" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="11" tip="Home Runs Hit/Allowed">HR</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="95" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="12" tip="Runs Batted In">RBI</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="96" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="13" tip="Stolen Bases">SB</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="97" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="14" tip="Caught Stealing">CS</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="98" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="15" tip="Bases on Balls/Walks">BB</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="99" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="16" tip="Strikeouts">SO</TH><TH class="tooltip hide_non_quals" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="100" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="17" tip="Hits/At Bats
For recent years, leaders need 3.1 PA
per team game played">BA</TH><TH class="tooltip hide_non_quals" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="101" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="18" tip="(H + BB + HBP)/(At Bats + BB + HBP + SF)
per team game played">OBP</TH><TH class="tooltip hide_non_quals" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="102" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="19" tip="Total Bases/At Bats or
(1B + 2*2B + 3*3B + 4*HR)/AB

per team game played">SLG</TH><TH class="tooltip hide_non_quals" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="103" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="20" tip="On-Base + Slugging Percentages
per team game played">OPS</TH><TH class="tooltip hide_non_quals" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="104" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="21" tip="OPS+
100*[OBP/lg OBP + SLG/lg SLG - 1]
Adjusted to the player’s ballpark(s)">OPS+</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="105" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="22" tip="Total Bases
Singles + 2 x Doubles + 3 x Triples + 4 x Home Runs.">TB</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="106" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="23" tip="Double Plays Grounded Into
Only includes standard 6-4-3, 4-3, etc. double plays.
First tracked in 1933.">GDP</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="107" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="24" tip="Times Hit by a Pitch.">HBP</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="108" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="25" tip="Sacrifice Hits (Sacrifice Bunts)">SH</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="109" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="26" tip="Sacrifice Flies
First tracked in 1954.">SF</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="110" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="27" tip="Intentional Bases on Balls
First tracked in 1955.">IBB</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc" align=left jQuery1304687130718="111" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="28" tip="Position
’*’ indicates position played in 2/3rds of team games,
’/’ less than 10 games played.">Pos</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc show_partial_when_sorting" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="112" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="29" tip="Summary of how player did in awards voting that year.
GG - Gold Glove
SS - Silver Slugger
MVP - Most Valuable Player
CYA - Cy Young Award
ROY - Rookie of the Year">Awards</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR id=batting_standard.1995 class=full data-row="0"><TD align=left>1995</TD><TD align=right>21</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>15</TD><TD align=right>51</TD><TD align=right>48</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>12</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=right>.250</TD><TD align=right>.294</TD><TD align=right>.375</TD><TD align=right>.669</TD><TD align=right>74</TD><TD align=right>18</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=left></TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.1996 class=full data-row="1"><TD align=left>1996</TD><TD align=right>22</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>157</TD><TD align=right>654</TD><TD align=right>582</TD><TD align=right>104</TD><TD align=right>183</TD><TD align=right>25</TD><TD align=right>6</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right>78</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>48</TD><TD align=right>102</TD><TD align=right>.314</TD><TD align=right>.370</TD><TD align=right>.430</TD><TD align=right>.800</TD><TD align=right>101</TD><TD align=right>250</TD><TD align=right>13</TD><TD align=right>9</TD><TD align=right>6</TD><TD align=right>9</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>RoY-1</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.1997 class=full data-row="2"><TD align=left>1997</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>159</TD><TD align=right>748</TD><TD align=right>654</TD><TD align=right>116</TD><TD align=right>190</TD><TD align=right>31</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right>70</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=right>12</TD><TD align=right>74</TD><TD align=right>125</TD><TD align=right>.291</TD><TD align=right>.370</TD><TD align=right>.405</TD><TD align=right>.775</TD><TD align=right>103</TD><TD align=right>265</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right>8</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>MVP-24</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.1998 class=full data-row="3"><TD align=left>1998</TD><TD align=right>24</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>149</TD><TD align=right>694</TD><TD align=right>626</TD><TD align=right>127</TD><TD align=right>203</TD><TD align=right>25</TD><TD align=right>8</TD><TD align=right>19</TD><TD align=right>84</TD><TD align=right>30</TD><TD align=right>6</TD><TD align=right>57</TD><TD align=right>119</TD><TD align=right>.324</TD><TD align=right>.384</TD><TD align=right>.481</TD><TD align=right>.864</TD><TD align=right>127</TD><TD align=right>301</TD><TD align=right>13</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>AS,MVP-3</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.1999 class=full data-row="4"><TD align=left>1999</TD><TD align=right>25</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>158</TD><TD align=right>739</TD><TD align=right>627</TD><TD align=right>134</TD><TD align=right>219</TD><TD align=right>37</TD><TD align=right>9</TD><TD align=right>24</TD><TD align=right>102</TD><TD align=right>19</TD><TD align=right>8</TD><TD align=right>91</TD><TD align=right>116</TD><TD align=right>.349</TD><TD align=right>.438</TD><TD align=right>.552</TD><TD align=right>.989</TD><TD align=right>153</TD><TD align=right>346</TD><TD align=right>12</TD><TD align=right>12</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>6</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>AS,MVP-6</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2000 class=full data-row="5"><TD align=left>2000</TD><TD align=right>26</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>148</TD><TD align=right>679</TD><TD align=right>593</TD><TD align=right>119</TD><TD align=right>201</TD><TD align=right>31</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>15</TD><TD align=right>73</TD><TD align=right>22</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>68</TD><TD align=right>99</TD><TD align=right>.339</TD><TD align=right>.416</TD><TD align=right>.481</TD><TD align=right>.896</TD><TD align=right>128</TD><TD align=right>285</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>12</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>AS,MVP-10</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2001 class=full data-row="6"><TD align=left>2001</TD><TD align=right>27</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>150</TD><TD align=right>686</TD><TD align=right>614</TD><TD align=right>110</TD><TD align=right>191</TD><TD align=right>35</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>21</TD><TD align=right>74</TD><TD align=right>27</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>56</TD><TD align=right>99</TD><TD align=right>.311</TD><TD align=right>.377</TD><TD align=right>.480</TD><TD align=right>.858</TD><TD align=right>123</TD><TD align=right>295</TD><TD align=right>13</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>AS,MVP-10</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2002 class=full data-row="7"><TD align=left>2002</TD><TD align=right>28</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>157</TD><TD align=right>730</TD><TD align=right>644</TD><TD align=right>124</TD><TD align=right>191</TD><TD align=right>26</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>18</TD><TD align=right>75</TD><TD align=right>32</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>73</TD><TD align=right>114</TD><TD align=right>.297</TD><TD align=right>.373</TD><TD align=right>.421</TD><TD align=right>.794</TD><TD align=right>111</TD><TD align=right>271</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=left>*6/D</TD><TD align=left>AS</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2003 class=full data-row="8"><TD align=left>2003</TD><TD align=right>29</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>119</TD><TD align=right>542</TD><TD align=right>482</TD><TD align=right>87</TD><TD align=right>156</TD><TD align=right>25</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right>52</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>43</TD><TD align=right>88</TD><TD align=right>.324</TD><TD align=right>.393</TD><TD align=right>.450</TD><TD align=right>.844</TD><TD align=right>125</TD><TD align=right>217</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right>13</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>MVP-21</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2004 class=full data-row="9"><TD align=left>2004</TD><TD align=right>30</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>154</TD><TD align=right>721</TD><TD align=right>643</TD><TD align=right>111</TD><TD align=right>188</TD><TD align=right>44</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=right>78</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>46</TD><TD align=right>99</TD><TD align=right>.292</TD><TD align=right>.352</TD><TD align=right>.471</TD><TD align=right>.823</TD><TD align=right>114</TD><TD align=right>303</TD><TD align=right>19</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>16</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>AS,MVP-13,GG</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2005 class=full data-row="10"><TD align=left>2005</TD><TD align=right>31</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>159</TD><TD align=right>752</TD><TD align=right>654</TD><TD align=right>122</TD><TD align=right>202</TD><TD align=right>25</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>19</TD><TD align=right>70</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>77</TD><TD align=right>117</TD><TD align=right>.309</TD><TD align=right>.389</TD><TD align=right>.450</TD><TD align=right>.839</TD><TD align=right>125</TD><TD align=right>294</TD><TD align=right>15</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=left>*6/D</TD><TD align=left>MVP-10,GG</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2006 class=full data-row="11"><TD align=left>2006</TD><TD align=right>32</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>154</TD><TD align=right>715</TD><TD align=right>623</TD><TD align=right>118</TD><TD align=right>214</TD><TD align=right>39</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>97</TD><TD align=right>34</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>69</TD><TD align=right>102</TD><TD align=right>.343</TD><TD align=right>.417</TD><TD align=right>.483</TD><TD align=right>.900</TD><TD align=right>132</TD><TD align=right>301</TD><TD align=right>13</TD><TD align=right>12</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=left>*6/D</TD><TD align=left>AS,MVP-2,GG,SS</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2007 class=full data-row="12"><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD align=right>33</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>156</TD><TD align=right>714</TD><TD align=right>639</TD><TD align=right>102</TD><TD align=right>206</TD><TD align=right>39</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>12</TD><TD align=right>73</TD><TD align=right>15</TD><TD align=right>8</TD><TD align=right>56</TD><TD align=right>100</TD><TD align=right>.322</TD><TD align=right>.388</TD><TD align=right>.452</TD><TD align=right>.840</TD><TD align=right>121</TD><TD align=right>289</TD><TD align=right>21</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>AS,MVP-11,SS</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2008 class=full data-row="13"><TD align=left>2008</TD><TD align=right>34</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>150</TD><TD align=right>668</TD><TD align=right>596</TD><TD align=right>88</TD><TD align=right>179</TD><TD align=right>25</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=right>69</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>52</TD><TD align=right>85</TD><TD align=right>.300</TD><TD align=right>.363</TD><TD align=right>.408</TD><TD align=right>.771</TD><TD align=right>102</TD><TD align=right>243</TD><TD align=right>24</TD><TD align=right>9</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=left>*6/D</TD><TD align=left>AS,SS</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Those are 'elite' numbers for an offensively challenged position like shortstop. If you don't agree, there's nothing more I can say. I suppose he should have rolled over and taken whatever they offered after an off year in 2010? This discussion has gotten ridiculous at certain points. 2938u4ji23

munson15

I want winners...

Let me help you, Costy.

<TABLE id=batting_standard class="sortable stats_table row_summable" jQuery1304687130718="56"><THEAD><TR><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc show_partial_when_sorting" align=left table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="0">Year</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc show_partial_when_sorting" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="85" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="1" tip="Player?s age at midnight of June 30th of that year">Age</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc show_partial_when_sorting" align=middle table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="2">Tm</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="86" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="3" tip="League
AL - American League (1901-present)
NL - National League (1876-present)
AA - American Association (1882-1891)
UA - Union Association (1884)
PL - Players League (1890)
FL - Federal League (1914-1915)
NA - National Association (1871-1875)">Lg</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="87" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="4" tip="Games Played or Pitched">G</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="88" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="5" tip="Plate Appearances
Estimated using AB + BB + HBP + SF + SH,
missing catcher interferences.
When this color click for a summary of each PA.">PA</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="89" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="6" tip="At Bats">AB</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="90" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="7" tip="Runs Scored/Allowed">R</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="91" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="8" tip="Hits/Hits Allowed">H</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="92" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="9" tip="Doubles Hit/Allowed">2B</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="93" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="10" tip="Triples Hit/Allowed">3B</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="94" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="11" tip="Home Runs Hit/Allowed">HR</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="95" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="12" tip="Runs Batted In">RBI</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="96" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="13" tip="Stolen Bases">SB</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="97" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="14" tip="Caught Stealing">CS</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="98" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="15" tip="Bases on Balls/Walks">BB</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="99" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="16" tip="Strikeouts">SO</TH><TH class="tooltip hide_non_quals" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="100" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="17" tip="Hits/At Bats
per team game played">BA</TH><TH class="tooltip hide_non_quals" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="101" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="18" tip="(H + BB + HBP)/(At Bats + BB + HBP + SF)
per team game played">OBP</TH><TH class="tooltip hide_non_quals" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="102" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="19" tip="Total Bases/At Bats or
(1B + 2*2B + 3*3B + 4*HR)/AB

per team game played">SLG</TH><TH class="tooltip hide_non_quals" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="103" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="20" tip="On-Base + Slugging Percentages
per team game played">OPS</TH><TH class="tooltip hide_non_quals" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="104" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="21" tip="OPS+
100*[OBP/lg OBP + SLG/lg SLG - 1]
Adjusted to the player?s ballpark(s)">OPS+</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="105" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="22" tip="Total Bases
Singles + 2 x Doubles + 3 x Triples + 4 x Home Runs.">TB</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="106" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="23" tip="Double Plays Grounded Into
Only includes standard 6-4-3, 4-3, etc. double plays.
First tracked in 1933.">GDP</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="107" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="24" tip="Times Hit by a Pitch.">HBP</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="108" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="25" tip="Sacrifice Hits (Sacrifice Bunts)">SH</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="109" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="26" tip="Sacrifice Flies
First tracked in 1954.">SF</TH><TH class=tooltip align=middle jQuery1304687130718="110" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="27" tip="Intentional Bases on Balls
First tracked in 1955.">IBB</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc" align=left jQuery1304687130718="111" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="28" tip="Position
?*? indicates position played in 2/3rds of team games,
?/? less than 10 games played.">Pos</TH><TH class="tooltip sort_default_asc show_partial_when_sorting" align=middle jQuery1304687130718="112" table_number="1" sorttable_columnindex="29" tip="Summary of how player did in awards voting that year.
GG - Gold Glove
SS - Silver Slugger
MVP - Most Valuable Player
CYA - Cy Young Award
ROY - Rookie of the Year">Awards</TH></TR></THEAD><TBODY><TR id=batting_standard.1995 class=full data-row="0"><TD align=left>1995</TD><TD align=right>21</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>15</TD><TD align=right>51</TD><TD align=right>48</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>12</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=right>.250</TD><TD align=right>.294</TD><TD align=right>.375</TD><TD align=right>.669</TD><TD align=right>74</TD><TD align=right>18</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=left>6</TD><TD align=left></TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.1996 class=full data-row="1"><TD align=left>1996</TD><TD align=right>22</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>157</TD><TD align=right>654</TD><TD align=right>582</TD><TD align=right>104</TD><TD align=right>183</TD><TD align=right>25</TD><TD align=right>6</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right>78</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>48</TD><TD align=right>102</TD><TD align=right>.314</TD><TD align=right>.370</TD><TD align=right>.430</TD><TD align=right>.800</TD><TD align=right>101</TD><TD align=right>250</TD><TD align=right>13</TD><TD align=right>9</TD><TD align=right>6</TD><TD align=right>9</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>RoY-1</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.1997 class=full data-row="2"><TD align=left>1997</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>159</TD><TD align=right>748</TD><TD align=right>654</TD><TD align=right>116</TD><TD align=right>190</TD><TD align=right>31</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right>70</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=right>12</TD><TD align=right>74</TD><TD align=right>125</TD><TD align=right>.291</TD><TD align=right>.370</TD><TD align=right>.405</TD><TD align=right>.775</TD><TD align=right>103</TD><TD align=right>265</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right>8</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>MVP-24</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.1998 class=full data-row="3"><TD align=left>1998</TD><TD align=right>24</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>149</TD><TD align=right>694</TD><TD align=right>626</TD><TD align=right>127</TD><TD align=right>203</TD><TD align=right>25</TD><TD align=right>8</TD><TD align=right>19</TD><TD align=right>84</TD><TD align=right>30</TD><TD align=right>6</TD><TD align=right>57</TD><TD align=right>119</TD><TD align=right>.324</TD><TD align=right>.384</TD><TD align=right>.481</TD><TD align=right>.864</TD><TD align=right>127</TD><TD align=right>301</TD><TD align=right>13</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>AS,MVP-3</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.1999 class=full data-row="4"><TD align=left>1999</TD><TD align=right>25</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>158</TD><TD align=right>739</TD><TD align=right>627</TD><TD align=right>134</TD><TD align=right>219</TD><TD align=right>37</TD><TD align=right>9</TD><TD align=right>24</TD><TD align=right>102</TD><TD align=right>19</TD><TD align=right>8</TD><TD align=right>91</TD><TD align=right>116</TD><TD align=right>.349</TD><TD align=right>.438</TD><TD align=right>.552</TD><TD align=right>.989</TD><TD align=right>153</TD><TD align=right>346</TD><TD align=right>12</TD><TD align=right>12</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>6</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>AS,MVP-6</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2000 class=full data-row="5"><TD align=left>2000</TD><TD align=right>26</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>148</TD><TD align=right>679</TD><TD align=right>593</TD><TD align=right>119</TD><TD align=right>201</TD><TD align=right>31</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>15</TD><TD align=right>73</TD><TD align=right>22</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>68</TD><TD align=right>99</TD><TD align=right>.339</TD><TD align=right>.416</TD><TD align=right>.481</TD><TD align=right>.896</TD><TD align=right>128</TD><TD align=right>285</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>12</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>AS,MVP-10</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2001 class=full data-row="6"><TD align=left>2001</TD><TD align=right>27</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>150</TD><TD align=right>686</TD><TD align=right>614</TD><TD align=right>110</TD><TD align=right>191</TD><TD align=right>35</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>21</TD><TD align=right>74</TD><TD align=right>27</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>56</TD><TD align=right>99</TD><TD align=right>.311</TD><TD align=right>.377</TD><TD align=right>.480</TD><TD align=right>.858</TD><TD align=right>123</TD><TD align=right>295</TD><TD align=right>13</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>AS,MVP-10</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2002 class=full data-row="7"><TD align=left>2002</TD><TD align=right>28</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>157</TD><TD align=right>730</TD><TD align=right>644</TD><TD align=right>124</TD><TD align=right>191</TD><TD align=right>26</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=right>18</TD><TD align=right>75</TD><TD align=right>32</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>73</TD><TD align=right>114</TD><TD align=right>.297</TD><TD align=right>.373</TD><TD align=right>.421</TD><TD align=right>.794</TD><TD align=right>111</TD><TD align=right>271</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=left>*6/D</TD><TD align=left>AS</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2003 class=full data-row="8"><TD align=left>2003</TD><TD align=right>29</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>119</TD><TD align=right>542</TD><TD align=right>482</TD><TD align=right>87</TD><TD align=right>156</TD><TD align=right>25</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right>52</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>43</TD><TD align=right>88</TD><TD align=right>.324</TD><TD align=right>.393</TD><TD align=right>.450</TD><TD align=right>.844</TD><TD align=right>125</TD><TD align=right>217</TD><TD align=right>10</TD><TD align=right>13</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>MVP-21</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2004 class=full data-row="9"><TD align=left>2004</TD><TD align=right>30</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>154</TD><TD align=right>721</TD><TD align=right>643</TD><TD align=right>111</TD><TD align=right>188</TD><TD align=right>44</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=right>78</TD><TD align=right>23</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>46</TD><TD align=right>99</TD><TD align=right>.292</TD><TD align=right>.352</TD><TD align=right>.471</TD><TD align=right>.823</TD><TD align=right>114</TD><TD align=right>303</TD><TD align=right>19</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>16</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=right>1</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>AS,MVP-13,GG</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2005 class=full data-row="10"><TD align=left>2005</TD><TD align=right>31</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>159</TD><TD align=right>752</TD><TD align=right>654</TD><TD align=right>122</TD><TD align=right>202</TD><TD align=right>25</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>19</TD><TD align=right>70</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>77</TD><TD align=right>117</TD><TD align=right>.309</TD><TD align=right>.389</TD><TD align=right>.450</TD><TD align=right>.839</TD><TD align=right>125</TD><TD align=right>294</TD><TD align=right>15</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=left>*6/D</TD><TD align=left>MVP-10,GG</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2006 class=full data-row="11"><TD align=left>2006</TD><TD align=right>32</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>154</TD><TD align=right>715</TD><TD align=right>623</TD><TD align=right>118</TD><TD align=right>214</TD><TD align=right>39</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>97</TD><TD align=right>34</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>69</TD><TD align=right>102</TD><TD align=right>.343</TD><TD align=right>.417</TD><TD align=right>.483</TD><TD align=right>.900</TD><TD align=right>132</TD><TD align=right>301</TD><TD align=right>13</TD><TD align=right>12</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=left>*6/D</TD><TD align=left>AS,MVP-2,GG,SS</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2007 class=full data-row="12"><TD align=left>2007</TD><TD align=right>33</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>156</TD><TD align=right>714</TD><TD align=right>639</TD><TD align=right>102</TD><TD align=right>206</TD><TD align=right>39</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>12</TD><TD align=right>73</TD><TD align=right>15</TD><TD align=right>8</TD><TD align=right>56</TD><TD align=right>100</TD><TD align=right>.322</TD><TD align=right>.388</TD><TD align=right>.452</TD><TD align=right>.840</TD><TD align=right>121</TD><TD align=right>289</TD><TD align=right>21</TD><TD align=right>14</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>2</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=left>*6</TD><TD align=left>AS,MVP-11,SS</TD></TR><TR id=batting_standard.2008 class=full data-row="13"><TD align=left>2008</TD><TD align=right>34</TD><TD align=left>NYY</TD><TD align=left>AL</TD><TD align=right>150</TD><TD align=right>668</TD><TD align=right>596</TD><TD align=right>88</TD><TD align=right>179</TD><TD align=right>25</TD><TD align=right>3</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=right>69</TD><TD align=right>11</TD><TD align=right>5</TD><TD align=right>52</TD><TD align=right>85</TD><TD align=right>.300</TD><TD align=right>.363</TD><TD align=right>.408</TD><TD align=right>.771</TD><TD align=right>102</TD><TD align=right>243</TD><TD align=right>24</TD><TD align=right>9</TD><TD align=right>7</TD><TD align=right>4</TD><TD align=right>0</TD><TD align=left>*6/D</TD><TD align=left>AS,SS</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Those are 'elite' numbers for an offensively challenged position like shortstop. If you don't agree, there's nothing more I can say. I suppose he should have rolled over and taken whatever they offered after an off year in 2010? This discussion has gotten ridiculous at certain points. 2938u4ji23

munson15

I want winners...

Sorry for the double post, the site is acting up again for me. BTW, somebody besides me thinks that's 'elite' production, he was top 10 in the MVP balloting in 7 of those seasons. I inadvertently cut off 2009 which was another 'elite' offensive season.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

The Yankees should not have compensated Jeter for past performances from years ago.

I agree. The Yankees are really only one of two teams (next to ND) I root for, but I honestly wish another team would've picked him up last summer. Ruthless maybe, but he's overpaid by about 16.5 million and a huge liability in the lineup and on the field.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

In the WS year of 2009 he was actually decent. This was one of his best seasons in quite some time. Go back to 2008 and before that, he was bad. 2009 was an improved year, a blip on the radar and last year and this year so far he's been disasterous. Don't think for one minute that teams arent pitching around hitter to get to this guy. He's the king of the double play (hitting into them, not turning them)

One other way he really hurts the team is that he often doesnt work the count. He not only weakly grounds out most of the time, but he does it economically, he lets the opposing pitcher only have to throw 1 or 2 pitches to get him out most of the time. I wouldnt mind him making an out as much if he saw 5 or 6 pitches per AB...at least that way he would be doing something productive (for him)

Sorry for the double post, the site is acting up again for me. BTW, somebody besides me thinks that's 'elite' production, he was top 10 in the MVP balloting in 7 of those seasons. I inadvertently cut off 2009 which was another 'elite' offensive season.

Jeter WAS elite. I can see giving somebody like Jeter a big contract 3 years into his career when you can see he will be a special player and you lock him up for a number of years before he can go free agent on you....and the team assures his financial security for life with that first big contract, a good trade-off for both parties. A-Rod when playing SS redefined offense for that position.

You guys act like Jeter wasn't paid well in his most productive years ! You can't expect a SS to stay productive until he is 40+. He is now a horrible player. Plenty of popular guys like him got put out to pasture in the past, like Babe Ruth, Bernie Williams etc.....just a couple of examples from the NYY, off the top of my head.

In the WS year of 2009 he was actually decent. This was one of his best seasons in quite some time. Go back to 2008 and before that, he was bad. 2009 was an improved year, a blip on the radar and last year and this year so far he's been disasterous. Don't think for one minute that teams arent pitching around hitter to get to this guy. He's the king of the double play (hitting into them, not turning them)

One other way he really hurts the team is that he often doesnt work the count. He not only weakly grounds out most of the time, but he does it economically, he lets the opposing pitcher only have to throw 1 or 2 pitches to get him out most of the time. I wouldnt mind him making an out as much if he saw 5 or 6 pitches per AB...at least that way he would be doing something productive (for him)

I disagree, you can't really pitch around the NYY's #8 and 9 hitters to get to Jeter batting 1st. Gardner is usually in one of those spots, he isn't hitting either, how can you walk such a speedy guy to get to Jeter ?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I disagree, you can't really pitch around the NYY's #8 and 9 hitters to get to Jeter batting 1st. Gardner is usually in one of those spots, he isn't hitting either, how can you walk such a speedy guy to get to Jeter ?

Teams know Jeter is an auto-out. Gardner is Ted Williams compared to Jeter.

I respect your opinion but when I think of elite offensive players, I don't think of guys who average 16 home runs and 80 rbi's. He has a good average @ .313.

He was a good solid player on some great teams,thus the reason for his mvp votes.

In my ytravels and discussions over the years i have gathered much more overrated votes for him however.

Just playing in NY will get you a lot of votes. .313 / 16/80 is about as good as you can expect from a SS. Nobody should have expected that from him after the 2010 season ( a contract year, too ! ). Oh well, they can afford to Pavano him for the next few years.....

So as an ELITE OFFENSIVE PLAYER he :

1.Doesn't hit home runs.
2.Doesn't drive in runs.
3.Doesn't steal bases.

I must hold the word ELITE to too high of a standard.

munson15

I want winners...

Jeter WAS elite. I can see giving somebody like Jeter a big contract 3 years into his career when you can see he will be a special player and you lock him up for a number of years before he can go free agent on you....and the team assures his financial security for life with that first big contract, a good trade-off for both parties. A-Rod when playing SS redefined offense for that position.

You guys act like Jeter wasn't paid well in his most productive years ! You can't expect a SS to stay productive until he is 40+. He is now a horrible player. Plenty of popular guys like him got put out to pasture in the past, like Babe Ruth, Bernie Williams etc.....just a couple of examples from the NYY, off the top of my head.
I agree with everything you said, but they made a decision not to take the fan backlash that allowing Jeter to walk would produce. Obviously, they hoped he could maintain some semblance of the player they had from '96-'09, but it hasn't happened. Oftentimes, they pay a player 'elite' money based on past performance and it bites them in the ass, a la Randy Johnson. At least this time, they overpaid a home-grown, future HOF'er with 5 WS rings won in pinstripes. Mistake? Yes, but not one I'm willing to crucify management over, since they were in a classic catch-22 with Jeter's contract up.

munson15

I want winners...

All a matter of present tense vs. past tense, Costy, I did not say he IS an 'elite' player now. He WAS for a long time, but not any more, I don't think anyone is arguing that his present production warrants the money he's making.