My MLB Card

kane

EOG master
First off, baseball is by far my worst sport from a betting standpoint, but I've done well the past few days so I thought I'd post these, anyone tailing proceed with caution

FF Ari/Was Under 4 -105
Milw -135
CWS Even
NYY/CWS Under 9 -115
FF Tor/Hou Under 4.5 -105
Anaheim +1.5 -135

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Only Jews and Italians bet baseball?

I'm an Irishman and I've been betting baseball since Dave Concepion and Joe Morgan were turning double plays.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Really looking forward to that yankees-Sox game. Probably the biggest game for the Sox in 5+ years as they can be .500 with a Giolito win.

Valuist

EOG Master
Wonder how long Giolito can keep this up. He's pitching as good as anyone in the American League. A couple more solid weeks and he could be starting in the All Star game.

Valuist

EOG Master
Sorry Kate Upton, but your husband will not be starting the All-Star game for the AL this year. He will have to relieve Giolito.

Kind of funny how the guys who only look for ERA/XFIP differentials are getting buried by Giolito.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Wonder how long Giolito can keep this up. He's pitching as good as anyone in the American League. A couple more solid weeks and he could be starting in the All Star game.

Giolito credits a change in his delivery for the amazing turnaround.

True or false?

I always wonder about an improving player's use of nutritional supplements.

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Kane's UNDER at Guaranteed Rate Field blew up when the White Sox scored four in the first and four more in the sixth.

Ugh.

Valuist

EOG Master
Giolito credits a change in his delivery to the amazing turnaround.

True or false?

I always wonder about an improving player's use of nutritional supplements.

Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.

It's true. This year he is "short arming" the ball, but he still can throw 94-95 despite short arming. The benefit? The ball is hidden longer and creates deception. MLB Network showed clips of his delivery last year and this year. Huge difference.

kane

EOG master
Sorry Kate Upton, but your husband will not be starting the All-Star game for the AL this year. He will have to relieve Giolito.

Kind of funny how the guys who only look for ERA/XFIP differentials are getting buried by Giolito.

Jake Odorizzi says not so fast my friend

Valuist

EOG Master
Jake Odorizzi says not so fast my friend

He's been good. Here's how they stack up:

Innings: Giolito 81 Odorizzi 70
Win/loss record: Giolito 10-1, Odorizzi 9-2
ERA: Giolito 2.22 Odorizzi 1.92
FIP: Giolito 2.69 Odorizzi 2.70
XFIP: Giolito 3.70 Odorizzi 4.22
strikeouts: Giolito 95, Odorizzu 78
walks: Giolito 26, Odorizzi 22
BABIP against: Giolito .249 Odorizzi .251
soft contact: Giolito 20.0% Odorizzi 19.3%
hard contact: Giolito 30.5% Odorizzu 39.8%
complete games: Giolito 2, Odorizzi 0
Expected WOBA: Giolito .266 Odorizzi .284

It's close and both have had a few things go their way, and from a handicapping standpoint, at some point, there will be some regression. But I wouldn't assume its right around the corner. Both are feeling good and pitching with confidence. The ASG is about results; not theoreticals, so their XFIPs should not be held against them.

Last edited:

kane

EOG master
I'm not saying it's right, but the Twins record might be the deciding factor, can't go wrong with either guy though

MrTop

EOG Master
andy was a big fan of clemen's deception & sit up routine. I don't trust any of these players . They screwed up all the stats in the 90's - 2000's

Valuist

EOG Master
It will be interesting to see how Giolito reacts next time out. We often see guys, and/or teams on a great run or streak, and when it comes to an end, there's a hangover.

It wasn't like it was 85 degrees with the wind blowing out. It was 54 degrees with the wind blowing in. He did strike out 9 of 23 hitters, but gave up 3 home runs, including a grand slam, and walked 3 in 4 1/3 innings. I know some will say the market "knew" because of all the Cub money, but money has been coming in against Giolito for most of his starts. So congrats to those who faded Giolito at minus 140 or whatever. You finally cashed. How may units did you lose fading him since May 1?