My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
C'est ça la différence.

The French expression, loosely translated, captures the precise difference when comparing objects or elements.

Or opinions, for that matter.

Horseplayers nationwide held varying opinions about the unanimous and unprecedented decision by three stewards at Churchill Downs to disqualify first-place finisher Maximum Security, Luis Saez up, after the pacesetter swerved three paths wide entering the stretch in last Saturday's 145th running of the Kentucky Derby.

The popular French phrase came to mind nearly 30 minutes after the historic race when French-born jockey Flavien Prat was spotted flashing a big smile atop lucky winner Country House at odds of 65-1, the second-biggest price (Donerail at 91/1 in 1913) in Derby history.

Veteran trainer Bill Mott joined horse and rider to celebrate their good fortune in an exclusive winner's circle, a reserved enclosure employed only once a year at the legendary racetrack in Louisville, Kentucky.

The 65-year-old Mott spoke eloquently with NBC's Kenny Rice before the disqualification was announced to the crowd of 150,000-plus and the millions watching at home.

(Editor's note: The crowd at Churchill Downs included EOG contributors ChiTownJoe and Trytrytry.)

Mott spoke as the stewards deliberated, "It's their duty to do the right thing. And I hope they do."

Maximum Security impeded the progress of challenger War of Will in a high-speed collision that created a chain reaction which ultimately led to troubled trips for longshots Long Range Toddy and Bodexpress.

Panamanian-born jockey Luis Saez quickly restrained his mount after the speed horse drifted wide entering the stretch but the damage had already been done.

Slow-motion replays revealed one of War of Will's front legs lodged between the hind legs of Maximum Security for at least a stride and maybe two.

Rules of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission (KHRC) state "a horse cannot take the path of a rival without sufficient clearance."

It appeared to this observer that Maximum Security violated the above rule.

Valued EOG contributor BENOITPAIRE2, sticking with our French theme, also felt the disqualification was justified.

However, Gary West, owner of Maximum Security, the only horse to ever be disqualified from first place on the day of the Kentucky Derby, called the decision "the most egregious disqualification in the history of horse racing."

EOG contributors VALUIST, WILD BILL and MR MERLIN also disagreed with the stewards jurisprudence, fiercely supporting the camp of the first-place finisher.

Maximum Security ran a race worthy of a Derby winner and he still has never crossed the finish line behind another horse in five career starts; however, in swerving dramatically at the head of the stretch, he denied three other horses their best possible finish.

Horse racing dodged a bullet when all horses and riders in the sport's most high-profile event escaped serious injury.

Imagine the carnage -- if the worst case scenario emerged -- with a lead horse falling on a rain-soaked racetrack at the top of the stretch and 18 horses having to sidestep a fallen horse and jockey.

Furthermore, public relations never has been a strong suit for the Sport of Kings and negative publicity these days far outweighs the goodwill spread by the industry-at-large.

Santa Anita is currently under attack from animal rights activists who would love to banish the sport from the state of California after a rash of horse fatalities (23) over a three-month period earlier this year.

Horse racing is a fickle game in so many ways.

The ultimate Derby winning jock (Flavien Prat) was the beneficiary of racing luck at the expense of the jock (Luis Saez) who steered erratically and celebrated prematurely while a third jock (Tyler Gaffalione) is simply lucky to be alive.

The race was clocked in approximately two minutes (2:03.93), the deliberations took more than 22 minutes and the disqualification controversy will last forever.

NBC DROPPED THE BALL.....Network announcer Larry Collmus failed to cite the trouble at the head of the stretch during the live call of the Kentucky Derby.

Things got worse from there.

Host Mike Tirico, more of a football guy than a horse racing enthusiast, also failed to mention the trouble at the head of the stretch before he searched for interviews with the winning rider and trainer.

The entire NBC crew prematurely celebrated Maximum Security as the winner of Derby 145.

Tirico should have emphasized Maximum Security as the "unofficial" winner of the race immediately after the horses crossed the wire.

Instead, horseback reporter Donna Barton Brothers did not ask Saez for an explanation of the incident, but rather she waited for Saez to address the situation.

Same for NBC field reporter Nick Luck who also buried the lead story in his initial interview with trainer Jason Servis.

NBC racing analysts Randy Moss and Jerry Bailey were slow to recognize the severity of the interference.

Moss boldly declared, "Never in the previous 144 runnings of the Kentucky Derby have we had a disqualification involving the first-place finisher."

There's always a first time, Randy, and here it was.

Bailey seemed to get fooled by Moss's power of suggestion.

Both men told viewers they would allow the original result to stand after watching several replays of the much-discussed incident.

Thankfully, one of the 16 announcers employed by NBC Sports saw the race clearly.

It was former NHL player and current horse racing analyst Ed Olczyk, who detailed the dramatic lane change by Maximum Security.

You could say Olczyk tallied the game-winning point late in regulation.

Leave it to a tough hockey player to understand interference, obstruction and the all-too-familiar hip check.

AN IDEA FOR NBC.....The network desperately needs to add a rules analyst to their 2020 coverage of the Kentucky Derby.

After all, other major television networks feature rules analysts like Mike Pereira and Gene Steratore (NFL), Steve Javie (NBA) and David Fay (USGA) for replay review and rules interpretation.

Current Oaklawn Park track announcer Vic Stauffer would be a natural selection for NBC because he not only has the talent and broadcasting experience but also served a five-year stint as a steward in California.

Last edited:

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
However, Gary West, owner of Maximum Security, the only horse to ever be disqualified from first place on the day of the Kentucky Derby, called the decision "the most egregious disqualification in the history of horse racing."

What a ridiculous statement by West.

I can think of many far worse, including one a number of years ago at Fairmount Park where the wire-to-wire winner's transgression was apparently running too fast as he moved over 2-3 lengths ahead of the horse closest to him and was inexplicably taken down for it.

Last edited:

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
jock (Luis Saez) who steered erratically

From a drf.com story by Jay Privman containing trainer Bill Mott's thoughts on Luis Saez ride of Maximum Security:

[Mott said he thought Maximum Security ducked out on his own, and that jockey Luis Saez did not ride carelessly.

“I very strongly believe it was the horse,” (bolding mine) Mott said. “Maybe something caught his eye and he ducked out a little. I’m sure Luis didn’t do that intentionally. He’s an aggressive rider but not a careless rider.”]

Several observers believe that the horse switched leads from his left to his right causing the horse to drift out suddenly.

More Mott from Privman's story:

[Mott said he felt “terrible that I have to apologize for winning.”

“I don’t want to feel like we’re taking something that’s not justified,” Mott said.

Mott said he believes the decision “shows the integrity of the sport,” adding the stewards “can’t let that go.” (Bolding mine)

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
War of Will's trainer Mark Casse's thoughts on the incident from a drf.com story by Jay Privman:

[The stewards did not post the inquiry sign on their own. Casse said he believes stewards should post inquiries and not put riders in the position of claiming foul against their colleagues.

“I would say if there was any mistake yesterday – and I have to say, I have the highest respect for the stewards – it was the inquiry sign should have gone up as soon as they passed the wire,” Casse said. “I was actually kind of surprised it wasn’t up.”] (bolding mine)

Last edited:

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
War of Will's trainer Mark Casse's thoughts on the incident from a dr.com story by Jay Privman:

[The stewards did not post the inquiry sign on their own. Casse said he believes stewards should post inquiries and not put riders in the position of claiming foul against their colleagues.

“I would say if there was any mistake yesterday – and I have to say, I have the highest respect for the stewards – it was the inquiry sign should have gone up as soon as they passed the wire,” Casse said. “I was actually kind of surprised it wasn’t up.”] (bolding mine)
It is an entirely different public narrative if the Inquiry sign had been immediately flashed, and the commentators had said something in real time. The controversy would not exist, or at least be severely curtailed.

ChuckyG

EOG Master
Good writeup, John. Agree w/ your angle on the coverage. Very dangerous to have a GENERALIST host like Tirico...when u really should have someone w/ SPECIALIZED knowledge.

blueline

EOG Master
Casse was happy to be able to lead his horse back to the barn
Moss should have done better.
Bailey is in that backstretch camp of not wanting things to come down...Gaffilione didn't even claim foul
Motts comments were a bullseye

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Good writeup, John. Agree w/ your angle on the coverage. Very dangerous to have a GENERALIST host like Tirico...when u really should have someone w/ SPECIALIZED knowledge.

And Laffit Pincay III is on site and on the payroll.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Casse was happy to be able to lead his horse back to the barn
Moss should have done better.
Bailey is in that backstretch camp of not wanting things to come down...Gaffilione didn't even claim foul
Motts comments were a bullseye

I'm with Bailey.

Unless the interference is obvious to all clear-thinkers, let the result stand.

In this case, I thought the interference was obvious.

blueline

EOG Master
NBC for a long time just said he was DQed...never said how far...at least I didnt hear it...had to go online to see how far down he was placed

Ray Luca

EOG Master
NBC DROPPED THE BALL.....Network announcer Larry Collmus failed to cite the trouble at the head of the stretch during the live call of the Kentucky Derby.

Larry was calling Taciitus and game winner at the time of the interference. Unfair to blame him he has a tough enough job in a full field. The interference occurred right before turning for home and when Larry called "Code of honor has slipped through inside to challenge for the lead" I knew he missed it as he was focused on the late runners right before turning for home.

The NBC live feed during the race showed a different angle when this happened, for the trained eye it was easy to spot and definitely much easier to see than the track feed which showed the traditional view.

As for the Stewards not posting the inquiry sign...I can only speculate that nobody ever wanted to deal with a situation like this while the entire worlds eyes are watching. They were waiting for the objections and why Tyler Gaffalione did not object is probably the same reason.....but from everything I read, the stewards never talked to Tyler which is mind boggling.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Thanks for checking in, Ray.

Not blaming Collmus because his job is a difficult one.

But what happened to the NBC Sports crew?

They missed the lead story until the objection sign was flashed.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Either Collmus or Tirico would have sounded brilliant had they cried -- "Hold all tickets" -- after Maximum Security crossed the wire.

Apparently neither one saw what happened.

blueline

EOG Master
How could he not? Riders get suspended plenty of times for reckless riding when there is no DQ, or even foul claim.
If at the stewards meeting they determine the horse ducked out from noise etc...he could avoid the careless riding charge.

blueline

EOG Master
Either Collmus or Tirico would have sounded brilliant had they cried -- "Hold all tickets" -- after Maximum Security crossed the wire.

Apparently neither one saw what happened.
I had no idea what happened or who won ...I was watching my H2H matchup

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
After the live telecast, Randy Moss and Jerry Bailey taped a three-minute recap of the developments to detail and chronicle the Derby DQ.

Why go back and review the proceedings?

Because they butchered it so badly the first time around.

blueline

EOG Master
Apparently he took a shot at the stewards on Twitter and then deleted it....that wont help him avoid days

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
As for the Stewards not posting the inquiry sign...I can only speculate that nobody ever wanted to deal with a situation like this while the entire worlds eyes are watching. They were waiting for the objections and why Tyler Gaffalione did not object is probably the same reason.....but from everything I read, the stewards never talked to Tyler which is mind boggling.

From drf.com story by Jay Privman:

"Trainer Mark Casse said he and jockey Tyler Gaffalione briefly considered claiming foul but elected not to since it wouldn’t have gained them a spot in the top three."

Shameful. Only thinking of themselves instead of the safety and integrity of the sport. Gaffalione should thank his lucky stars he's alive and not seriously injured or crippled.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Feels like conspiracy to me.

Casse told Joe Drape of The New York Times, "If I claim foul, it ruins the biggest accomplishment of Jason's (Servis) life and the only thing that's going to do is move me up to sixth. Would you claim foul? No. Should Tyler have claimed foul? No. I stand by that."

Ugh.

Ray Luca

EOG Master
Nobody talking about the fact Maximum Security was on wrong lead....most people don't even know what that means....most are just complaining they lost money cause most bet on the favorite. People are insane. I thought it was the right call period.

Luckily nobody went down...cause 14 other horses were behind them and charging hard and death for horses and humans would have been very likely

blueline

EOG Master
Im guessing Saez doesn't get days

Jockey Luis Saez has been suspended for 15 days for failing to control Maximum Security and causing interference that resulted in the horse's historic disqualification as the Kentucky Derby winner.
The decision by the Kentucky stewards was announced Monday by the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission.
Saez was cited for failing to "make the proper effort to maintain a straight course" in the May 4 race at Churchill Downs. Country House, a 65-1 shot was elevated and declared the winner. It was the first time the horse finishing first at the Derby was disqualified for interference.
Saez's suspension is May 23 through June 14 and covers racing dates. A message left with the jockey's lawyer was not immediately returned.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Fifteen days and a lifetime scar.

Lawyers still claiming Saez was not at fault.

Good luck with that claim.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Nobody talking about the fact Maximum Security was on wrong lead....most people don't even know what that means....most are just complaining they lost money cause most bet on the favorite. People are insane. I thought it was the right call period.

Luckily nobody went down...cause 14 other horses were behind them and charging hard and death for horses and humans would have been very likely

And there's the winning point.

Saez appeared desperate at the head of the stretch, trying to get his mount to change leads after the horse lost his action.

After contact was made with War of Will, Maximum Security changed leads to find renewed energy.

Saez, like a drunk driver, quickly fled the scene after the accident.

After swerving out 4 or 5-wide, Saez and Maximum Security quickly returned to the inside of the track after creating chaos for his foes.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
A full 9 days later
Saez gets a hefty 15 days. What took so long for the penalty?
Maximum Security was ahead at all times. The conditions were very wet and very adverse in the 20 horse field . He wobbled.in the stretch and got DQ"ed for drifting out of his path because of an objection rather than a stewards inquiry. The Jockey of the horse that was interfered with did not complain. Seems like a very harsh punishment for a marginal DQ .

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The Derby DQ is an excellent illustration between the letter of the law (DQ) and the spirit of the law (No DQ).

Trainer Bob Baffert did not like the call saying his horses always get knocked around in the Derby.