My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Greetings from Boise, Idaho.

After 20 years of watching ESPN-televised games on the blue turf at Bronco Stadium, I finally witnessed a Boise State football game from the 50-yard line at the newly-named Albertsons Stadium.

The iconic blue field was amazing; the football game, not so much.

Enthusiasm for football at the school appears to be waning, adding to a nationwide trend in which college football attendance is down at most schools.

Chadd Cripe, lead sports columnist of the Idaho Statesman, claims a weak home schedule is the primary reason for the decline in season-ticket sales at Boise State, the lowest level since 2003.

He cited 4,000 empty seats for the home opener against Marshall and 5,000 empty seats last Saturday night.

The blue artificial turf was brighter than it looks on television, yet the crowd of 31,068 (capacity 36,387) appeared subdued by the lack of suspense or intrigue on the field.

The average score when Boise State plays an FCS opponent is 47-7 over a nine-game sample dating back to 2003.

Hard to believe but true in the conservative state of Idaho, Albertsons Stadium does not sell alcohol.

So much for having a beer with your football.

Portland State needed a stiff drink after the beating it took on the field.

The game was another case of heavyweights playing lightweights in a non-competitive contest.

Even the brutal UFC has weight divisions.

Why not college football?

Instead, the powers-that-be in college football institute sissified rule changes to make football a safer game, yet they allow football powerhouses to schedule overmatched patsies.

Boise opened a 34-point favorite and closed a 34.5-point favorite over Portland State at both Westgate and William Hill.

The natural outcome was a given, the pointspread outcome was seriously in doubt.

Halftime score: Boise State 28 Portland State 10.

Final score: Boise State 45 Portland State 10.

Boise State head coach Bryan Harsin used the mismatch against an FCS opponent to get a good look at his 105-man roster.

Ten players made their Boise State debuts against PSU.

Three quarterbacks saw action, seven backs had at least one carry and nine players caught a pass.

Twenty-one defenders recorded at least one tackle on a defense that has been the bright spot of a football program known for its high-flying offense.

For the third consecutive game, the Bronco defense did not allow a single point in the second half.

Against Florida State, Marshall, and PSU, the overshadowed defensive unit of the Boise State football program has yielded a grand total of 132 yards after halftime.

Next up is a Friday night home against Air Force.

Boise State was installed a 9.5-point choice (BetOnline) over Air Force in the Mountain West opener for both teams.

No strong predictions from this corner with the following exception: The Falcons will be hard-pressed to move the ball over the final 30 minutes of the game.

ON THE BLUE.....Credit Gene Bleymaier for the idea of the blue turf at Boise State.

Bleymaier was the athletic director at BSU from 1982-2011.

The blue AstroTurf, nicknamed the Smurf Turf, was installed at Boise State in 1986.

Bleymaier and Boise State successfully applied for trademark rights involving the unique blue playing surface in the late 1980's.

Since then, they've allowed schools like Eastern Washington (red), Coastal Carolina (teal) and Central Arkansas (purple and gray) to use colors other than the traditional green.

However, no FBS school is allowed to use Boise's blue-colored turf.

It was a brilliant marketing idea for a football program seeking attention as it rose from its original junior college roots in 1933 to NCAA Division I-AA (1978-1995) and now NCAA Division I-A, currently called Football Bowl Subdivision or FBS since 1996.

The story of Boise State's blue field is symbolic of the university's overall philosophy where outside-the-box thinking is promoted and encouraged to offset inherent advantages of big-time competition.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Next stop: Reno, Nevada.

I plan to attend the football luncheon featuring Nevada head coach Jay Norvell this Tuesday at noon.

A lunch or dinner with the one-and-only ComptrBob is also in the works.

railbird

EOG Master
Next stop: Reno, Nevada.

I plan to attend the football luncheon featuring Nevada head coach Jay Norvell this Tuesday at noon.

A lunch or dinner with the one-and-only ComptrBob is also in the works.
i love gping to luncheons, lots of intel, use to get game plans from brad holland and larry reynolds, injury info, etc

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
Places and things always look different in person. People usually look way better in person than in images or on film. When I met Michael Jordan, he was way skinny and darker than he looks on TV. Agassi also looked skinnier and in great shape. Paula Abdul and many other look small, because they are small. Wrigley Field has a sacred, religious feel when you're there and the first thing you see walking up the steps is that green, beautiful Ivy. It is Life-changing. Las Vegas looks better when you don't live here. I saw George Knapp at the SuperBook and he looked good, but close to his TV persona. I have seen Nate Tannenbaum like three times in 22 years and have to say he is one of the nicest people I have encountered in Las Vegas.

I met Rodman and he was normal looking believe it or not, compared to what he looks like on TV. II thanked him for helping the Bulls win silverware. He said, "One love, bruh." He may be weird as fuck, full of holes and friends with Kim, but Rodman has a good soul although a limo driver once told me he drove him somewhere and he puked all over the back of the limo and didn't clean it up. I watched a Prince concert with an empty seat to my left and Tommy Hearns in the next seat. I shook his hand, his shake was soft and courteous and I didn't bother him. I was bigger than him, but loved his vibe. Anyone smart enough to be at a Prince concert is a genius in my book. I met Gary Fencik a weird way at a U2 concert at the Rosemont Horizon. We were all waiting to get through a rush of people, and the crowd became irrational. I demanded everyone chill and some order be restored and movement made free, and I felt a hand on my back supporting me and agreeing with me. It was Fencik. Nobody recognized him. I did. I shook his hand. Dudes like Fencik, Tannenbaum, Knapp and Hearns have really good Souls in my mind.

Millennials and Generation Z have no concept of Football, nor seem interested in Sports Gambling. Boise games may have had a better value when they were great and in the hunt. Such a cool trip to take. Perfect time of year to do so.

Looking at NCAAF openers and unsure why Houston is a 3-point Underdog at Tulane on Thursday. Have done no research, but those Cougars dudes looked impossible to tackle, although WSU was scarily pathetic at the mechanics of a Tackle. Gonna look at whole NCAAF board after laundry. UEFA CL looks hard Tues-Weds.

KevinStott11

EOG Veteran
Dude bring us a potato back from Idaho for Christ's sake.

Houston is 7-1 ATS L8 vs Tulane and beat them 48-17 LY, but lost 20-17 in New Orleans in 2017 with the Green Wave 8-point dogs. The early (perceived Sharp) money is on Tulane and there are 3½'s at 5Dimes and Heritage now. I don't get this number, or why Tulane is favored. They looked decent at Auburn in Week 1, but unless D'Eriq King is hurt, hard to see why the number is the way it is.

ComptrBob

EOG Master

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Uh oh.

Looks like I will miss the luncheon.

Staying in McCall, Idaho right now.

This is God's country.

Some outstanding resorts in the area.

Plan to visit Bob later this week and shoot hoops with David Dineen.

Need a golf lesson or two from Bob.

He has a big edge on me.

His edge?

It's the putting green in the backyard of his beautiful home.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Uh oh.

Looks like I will miss the luncheon.

Staying in McCall, Idaho right now.

This is God's country.

Some outstanding resorts in the area.

Plan to visit Bob later this week and shoot hoops with David Dineen.

Need a golf lesson or two from Bob.

He has a big edge on me.

His edge?

It's the putting green in the backyard of his beautiful home.

Thought I had a nice life.....you travel more than I do....enjoy your travels JK....there is much to see and do out there.....

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I assume you got in free JK, any idea what tickets cost? That's your answer for the declining attendance.

The face value of my ticket was $69.

A friend of mine is a season-ticket holder.

Tickets in the north end zone were priced as low as $25.

One of the dirty little secrets of college athletics is the students' funding of football and basketball programs.

Students are admitted free by presenting their student i.d.

Nothing free about tuition costs these days.

Of course, tuition hikes help fund the athletic department.

I read where Boise State head coach Bryan Harsin last week delivered pizzas to some influential student group on campus.

He should be serving steak and seafood to the kids who support his seven-year, $10 million contract.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Thought I had a nice life.....you travel more than I do....enjoy your travels JK....there is much to see and do out there.....

I appreciate your exploring ways, VD.

You're more of an international traveler than me.

My travels are usually confined to the States and always involve sports and/or horse racing.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
On 9/17/2022, Michigan St is at Boise. Spartan Mike, myself and other buddies plan to make the pilgrimage to Boise to see the blue turf!

Eastern Michigan University's football stadium, Rynearson Satdium, has a gray fieldEMU.jpg

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
Even the brutal UFC has weight divisions.

Why not college football?

College football HAS divisions. Division 1 was split in two in the 1970's with different names since then, but its still one division, so technically all FBS and FCS games are Division 1 football games. I'm in favor of all power 5 teams just playing power 5 teams (I know, it's not a separate division, but maybe it should be), but you STILL would have mismatches. Even the NFL has mismatches, now, with the hapless Miami Dolphins trying not to compete -- which is "shameful" to use your term.

Instead, the powers-that-be in college football institute sissified rule changes to make football a safer game.

I think your confusing college and pro rules (current pro rules seem even easier, because of the CTE issue and related lawsuits).

Football was invented by "IVY League" college students (Harvard, Yale, Princeton) with rules that resulted in many of their own deaths and debilitating injuries, which often led to an early death from playing the game.

I guess you want to go back to 1800's (from 1869 on) to the early 1900's with your reactionary views [since we are talking toughness here, I thought I would get in a "jab" (LOL)], when "many" college football players were killed playing the game before the forward pass was legalized to, hopefully, prevent deaths from the intense "rugby" scrums that resulted from only being able to run the ball.

Players were also hurt killed or hurt badly from brutal cheap shots like drop kicking players in the head and blatantly punching players in the face while they were trying to catch a punt. None of this was illegal, so penalties weren't called, but a "gentleman" shouldn't do it, was the "unwritten rule".

For instance, approximately 18 player were killed during the 1905 season (although the exact number is in dispute). As a consequence the forward pass was legalized in 1906. A quote from Wikipedia follows:

"Most sources credit St. Louis University's Bradbury Robinson from Bellevue, Ohio with throwing the first legal forward pass. On September 5, 1906, in a game against Carroll College, Robinson's first attempt at a forward pass fell incomplete and resulted in a turnover under the 1906 rules." (italicizing mine, bolding theirs)

Allowing the forward pass would, hopefully, spread out the play. At the time many people wanted to outlaw the sport because of its brutality and the deaths of players.

The vast majority of enlightened current and former coaches support preventing poor tackling, like head to head and head to neck shots, to prevent concussions, paralysis, death, and early death later in life from playing the game (CTE).

Are some of the targeting penalties a little hard for the defensive player to prevent when the offensive player lowers his upper body and head? Certainly. But when that occurs, then the "targeting penalty" (maybe change the name of the penalty to "stupid head ducking") should be on the offensive player. That's hardly "'sissifying" the game.

If the rules are changed in the future, and the penalty for unnecessary roughness is changed to roughness, then you might have a complaint. The penalty is still unnecessary roughness, implying roughness is part of the game.

In contrast, the penalty in hockey is "roughing." There is also a penalty for fighting in hockey, which is always a major penalty, where roughing is a minor penalty, or could be a double minor. Hockey is still a physical sport, but one that has certainly improved from less fighting and bench clearing brawls, and from eliminating two-line offsides passes. It's also has improved with the more open puck possession style of play from Europe/Soviet Union-Russia.

"We possess the puck, why should we dump it in, and lose possession, most likely," rhetorically asked a former Russian and /or Soviet player?

This mistake in strategy (losing possession by dumping the puck in while on a power play late in the game) most likely cost Germany the gold medal against Russia in the last Winter Olympics, and one of the greatest upsets in Olympic hockey history. The Russians, then, scored a short-handed goal with their own net empty after gaining possession of the puck to tie the game late in the third period and send it to overtime.

Hard to believe but true in the conservative state of Idaho, Albertsons Stadium does not sell alcohol.

Not at all.

More liberal areas are likely to allow beer sales. Not the other way around. Many Mormons, who are against drinking, live in Idaho. 26.42% of the population of Idaho is Mormon, 2nd most among states -- only behind Utah with 67.70% of the population being Mormon.

The University of Missouri just allowed beer and wine sales for the first time at the recent West Virginia home game, after the SEC voted to allow them earlier this year.

But make no mistake, much unauthorized drinking occurred, anyway, before games (at tail-gates, bars, frat houses,) and during games (smuggled in flasks,etc., despite enforcement efforts). The SEC is certainly conservative territory, as is culturally conservative Missouri, with many evangelical churches headquartered in southwest Missouri.

In contrast, Saint Louis University has had beer sales at games (basketball) for a very long time. (Catholics/big cities have much more tolerance for alcohol consumption -- The priest drinks wine/"blood of Christ" at every Mass. The Church isn't against drinking, just drunkenness. Big cities tend to be more open minded than rural areas/small towns when it comes to alcohol consumption.)

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Good catch, Foresthill.

I butchered the sentence dealing with alcohol sales at Albertsons Stadium.

"Hard to believe but true" expressed my shock and disappointment in the stadium's policy.

The line about "the conservative state of Idaho" somehow snuck into the sentence.

Whoops!

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
Good catch, Foresthill.

I butchered the sentence dealing with alcohol sales at Albertsons Stadium.

"Hard to believe but true" expressed my shock and disappointment in the stadium's policy.

The line about "the conservative state of Idaho" somehow snuck into the sentence.

Whoops!

Hey John,

We all make mistakes. I certainly do. You wouldn't believe how many times I rewrote this post with all the mistakes, typos, etc., I made. And I probably still didn't catch them all.

Please see related personal message on the topic for further elaboration. It's friendly in nature.

Safe travels.