My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Sincerest condolences to sports bettors who wagered on the Washington Redskins +6.5 over the Philadelphia Eagles.

Final score: Eagles 37 Redskins 27.

On the surface, it looks like just another result from the Week 15 scoreboard.

But serious NFL followers know better.

The Redskins played their hearts out and deserved a better fate both straight-up and against the spread.

Rookie quarterback Dwayne Haskins Jr. registered his best game as a pro, but as luck would have it, a mistake by Haskins on the final play of the game ruined the day for Washington fans and gamblers alike.

Philadelphia linebacker Nigel Bradham recovered a fumble near midfield and rumbled 47 yards for an unlikely tack-on touchdown as time expired.

In a cruel twist of gambling fate, the Eagles never had the pointspread covered until the clock showed 0:00.

This is nothing new.

We've seen it before and we'll see it again.

Predictably, recreational bettors in the sports book at MGM Grand were hooting and hollering for several minutes after the game to celebrate their good fortune.

One goofball even raced around the perimeter of the sports book with winning tickets raised above his head.

Another Philly backer, wearing a green Eagles t-shirt, shouted "Fly, Eagles Fly" while flapping his arms like a bird.

Lucky bettors charged to the windows to cash their tickets on Philadelphia -6.5 while rightful winners were denied payment.

Keep backing teams like the Eagles as a 6.5-point road favorite and you'll proceed directly to the poorhouse.

The profits from the lucky win are likely to be squandered in the coming weeks.

After all, the Redskins were the right side, but simply caught the wrong result.

It happens.

Gamblers who understand randomness and its impact on sporting events -- and more precisely, betting outcomes -- view late-game hijinks as an occupational hazard, an unavoidable part of this sometimes frustrating exercise.

Here are a half-dozen notes scribbled across my Don Best rotation schedule:

1) By rule, no extra-point attempt was administered after Philly's 47-yard fumble return for a touchdown with no time left on the clock.

That rule was changed before the start of the 2018 NFL season.

In the past, NFL teams would be required to kick an extra-point or attempt a two-point conversion after scoring with no time on the clock.

2) Should I be betting more side-and-total parlays?

Is it easier to predict the side and total in the same game than to find a pair of sides or a pair of totals in different games?

Furthermore, is it easier to hit 53-55% at odds of 11/10 or 28-30% at odds of 26/10?

Most gamblers wisely think about favorite-and-over or dog-and-under combinations.

That's logical.

But I believe the favorite-and-under combination is a sneaky-good way to play.

3) Make it 14 straight UNDERS now in the Army-Navy football series.

Navy easily defeated Army, 31-7, last Saturday in the 120th meeting between the service academies.

Navy now leads the all-time series 61-52-7.

CGT displayed closing numbers of Navy -11.5 and 42 for the annual showdown.

Army struck first but Navy responded with 31 unanswered points to win going away.

The favorite-and-under parlay combination scored in this rivalry game in Philadelphia when Army's offense, which averaged 311 yards per game this season, rushed for only 123 yards on the day.

4) Navy's run of 31 consecutive points serves as a lesson for sports bettors in search of pointspread winners.

No matter the sport, the ability of a team to score unanswered points/runs/goals is the single most important quality to winning AND covering.

It is said basketball is a game of scoring runs, but so is football, soccer, hockey and baseball (quite literally).

Point production and point prevention are widely discussed, but game control and scoring runs should be studied more closely.

5) There are many parallels between sports handicapping and horse handicapping.

The athletes on the field react a lot like thoroughbreds on the racetrack.

Rest, fitness, level of competition and the conditions of the event are factors for both athletes, human and equine.

My favorite angle in both arenas: Bet AGAINST a bad team off an exhausting win or a low-level horse exiting a big effort, provided said entry is attracting attention in the betting marketplace.

6) Gambling is easy, winning is hard.

Last edited:

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
A few hours later the second gift TD on Sunday in the Atlanta/SF game with :00 remaining in the game. Olamide Zacchaeus recovered a botched frantic Frisco lateral on the ensuing kockoff in the end zone after Atlanta seized their first lead seconds previous to make the final score Falcons 29 49ers 22. The scoring turnover had no effect on the side but put a significant dent in under bettors (yes, including JK) who reached for tissues nationwide as the over 49.5 sent bettors praying for s renegade garbage TD into a frenzy. The score have Miners a dose of their own medicine, sort of, as they scored on a turnover just 2 weeks prior against Arizona prppelled them to win by 10 although some pushed despite laying 9.5 at home

On a side note, this week's Western antics reversed a previously written off totals loss for yours truly with a $110 swing and kept a 4 teamer alive with a NO win this evening pending.

Almost Allright

GO Bucks!!!
A few hours later the second gift TD on Sunday in the Atlanta/SF game with :00 remaining in the game. Olamide Zacchaeus recovered a botched frantic Frisco lateral on the ensuing kockoff in the end zone after Atlanta seized their first lead seconds previous to make the final score Falcons 29 49ers 22. The scoring turnover had no effect on the side but put a significant dent in under bettors (yes, including JK) who reached for tissues nationwide as the over 49.5 sent bettors praying for s renegade garbage TD into a frenzy. The score have Miners a dose of their own medicine, sort of, as they scored on a turnover just 2 weeks prior against Arizona prppelled them to win by 10 although some pushed despite laying 9.5 at home

On a side note, this week's Western antics reversed a previously written off totals loss for yours truly with a $110 swing and kept a 4 teamer alive with a NO win this evening pending.

while a guy flapping his arms at a sports book sounds a bit much, it does have a dose of originality. Meanwhile here at EOG, luck ass bettors flapping their gums through their key board Is old hat.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
while a guy flapping his arms at a sports book sounds a bit much, it does have a dose of originality. Meanwhile here at EOG, luck ass bettors flapping their gums through their key board Is old hat.
We gloat on the good breaks just as much as the bad beats, whether in person at the books or behind the keyboards traditional or instantaneous

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
The abandoned lateral on the last play of the game is becoming football’s version of the empty net goal.

Army-Navy is always played in loss than ideal weather where the favorite imposes its will over an overmatched opponent. With very little passing, the favorite/under combo makes sense. Only 52 weeks to try it out. Thanks, John.

kane

EOG master
The abandoned lateral on the last play of the game is becoming football’s version of the empty net goal.

Army-Navy is always played in loss than ideal weather where the favorite imposes its will over an overmatched opponent. With very little passing, the favorite/under combo makes sense. Only 52 weeks to try it out. Thanks, John.

Great analogy comparing the lateral with the empty net goal, I had the Skins yesterday and have lost numerous games just like it. I know there's nothing the league can do since the end game lateral is a legal play, but I sure wish it wasn't allowed

Foresthill

EOG Addicted

Nice analogy.

I know there's nothing the league can do since the end game lateral is a legal play, but I sure wish it wasn't allowed

A lateral and a fake lateral on a kickoff return worked to perfection in the Miami/New England game last year held in Miami for the Dolphins, leading to victory.

Even though I have been "burned" myself by these plays, they shouldn't be against the rules because sometimes they work as in the example above.

MrTop

EOG Master
if that play was done on purpose it could of not had a better bounce into the linebackers hands, Horrible way to lose but a once in the lifetime win. About 6-7 shops closed eagles at -7 in the game like they had the answers to the test.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

The abandoned lateral, I like it.

The box score described the lateral as "aborted."

I support most forms of abortion.

Just not this one.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
In all seriousness, the rugby play in the NFL is high risk/high reward.

More NFL underdogs should incorporate trick plays with downfield laterals into their playbook.

Why wait until you're desperate?

The element of surprise is on your side in the first half.

What have you got to lose?