My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
God never plays favorites.

He likes underdogs.

So He will be supporting Clemson (+5.5) to defeat LSU two weeks from tonight in New Orleans.

And the reason is obvious.

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney accepted Jesus Christ into his life at age 16 and he's been invoking the name of the good Lord ever since.

The well-preserved 50-year-old leader of the Clemson flock wears his faith on his sleeve.

"All the credit, all the glory goes to the good Lord," recites Swinney.

Swinney never misses a chance to praise the Lord for his good fortune, recruiting prowess, fast athletes and brilliant assistant coaches.

Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Marv Levy, still alive at age 94, once delivered a funny line about combining faith and football.

Levy cracked, "Great football coaches have the vision to see, the faith to believe, the courage to do -- and 25 great football players."

Swinney himself admits to "recruiting the best football players, not the best Christians."

But many Clemson players, including former star quarterback Deshaun Watson and current star signal-caller Trevor Lawrence, are buying what Swinney is selling.

In the national title showdown against LSU, viewers will see Clemson players marking their faces with crosses, wearing wristbands with religious messages and kneeling together to pray in small groups.

Watson found Jesus Christ in the ninth grade and discovered Swinney at Clemson one year later.

The current quarterback of the Houston Texans finished his college career with a 32-3 record and a national championship at the end of the 2016 season.

Lawrence tells the story of "being saved" in the summer of 2018 during a religious retreat in Florida.

His Twitter profile picture is an image of the word "Jesus" and his account biography reads, "Pursuing Him at all costs."

The brilliant Lawrence, a virtual cinch to be the #1 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft, is 25-0 as Clemson's starting quarterback and seeks his second national title in as many years.

And if Watson and Lawrence are not enough, consider the top quarterback of the 2020 recruiting class committed to Clemson last May.

The recruiting tale will not surprise a soul.

DJ Uiagalelei, a 6-4 quarterback from Bellflower, California, committed to Clemson with a tweet that read, "This is all God's work and God's timing, I am blessed to say that I AM 100% COMMITTED!!!!"

Uiagalelei will follow in the footsteps of Watson and Lawrence and look to continue Clemson's run of recent dominance.

Alabama's Nick Saban can claim four national titles over the past nine seasons but Swinney is now looking for his third crown over the last four years.

If Saban unseated the legendary Bear Bryant as college football's greatest coach, then Swinney is on a trajectory to upend Saban.

The charismatic Swinney is not the first coach to embrace Christianity, but he is the most visible.

Is the merger or marriage between faith and football a good thing?

Does the discipline and dedication of your faith translate to discipline and dedication on the football field?

Skeptics disregard the notion, but the culture of Christianity promotes a lot of the same values critical to athletic success.

Should sports bettors assign extra credit to a Clemson team that wraps the grace of God with the game of football?

A check of Clemson's pointspread record over the past five seasons (44-28-1) shows Lawrence's brilliance to be a more important factor than Clemson's culture of religion.

The Tigers are an amazing 19-6 against the spread in games started by Trevor Lawrence and 25-22-1 in all other games.

The underdog appears live in the national championship game not because of divine intervention, but rather due to the ability of a dynamic offense led by a 6-6 gunslinger with big-play abilities.

I'll pray that I cash.

Last edited:

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
Never seen a 6-6 white QB run like this guy. That TD run last night was amazing. He's a freak.

Should be a great game next Monday night.

Dabo can't play the disrespect card so much this week. Has to tread lightly. That LSU team will be playing for their OC.

They seem like a team of destiny to me. We will see.

Bigrunner

EOG Master
Never seen a 6-6 white QB run like this guy. That TD run last night was amazing. He's a freak.

Should be a great game next Monday night.

Dabo can't play the disrespect card so much this week. Has to tread lightly. That LSU team will be playing for their OC.

They seem like a team of destiny to me. We will see.

The game is jan 13. Two Mondays from tomorrow.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
And Joe Brady is what makes that LSU thing go.

Joe Burrow, you mean, Sol.

Joe Brady is the 30-year-old passing game coordinator of LSU.

Ed Orgeron and Dabo Swinney are the head coaches and CEOs, but LSU OC Steve Ensminger versus LSU DC Brent Venables is the matchup where the national title game will be won or lost.

I prefer Venables.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
clemson got dinged up yesterday, game is at 6, i suggest marinating it to 7

That's the key to the handicap, IMO.

Was the Clemson-Ohio State game too much of a physical/emotional bloodbath for the winner?

That was one violent game on a slippery surface in Glendale.

One other question: Does LSU's controlled scrimmage against Oklahoma get them fit enough, mentally and physically, to meet and beat the defending national champs?

If you back LSU minus the spot, don't cry about a late fourth-quarter touchdown that allows Clemson bettors to get the money.

That's part of the handicap.

The back door was wide open a few years ago when Alabama defeated Clemson, 45-40, as a 6.5-point fave.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Terrible game control by Clemson against Ohio State.

Stuck 16-0 early, the Tigers were battling to get out of a hole most of the night.

Clemson trailed for nearly 45 minutes of the 60-minute game.

Last edited:

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Everyone in Boston knows that Jesus Saves...but Espo scores on the rebound.

Last edited by a moderator:

blueline

EOG Master
is god taking the points or not?

http://www.bpnews.net/48844/lsus-orgeron-wife-and-pastors-coach-him-in-life

LSU's Orgeron: Wife & pastors 'coach' him in life

She said she remained firm in her faith that God had a better plan when her husband had been mentioned as the next head coach for the Tigers as other names kept coming up.

In the last days of LSU's coaching search, one son texted several times with concerns before she finally told him, "Son, when God has a plan, nobody can change it.

"Your father is going to be the next LSU head coach," she remembered telling him, and that was her counsel to Coach O the night before he learned he had been hired by LSU

"I got on my knees and said my prayers," Coach O recounted. "Kelly looked up and asked, 'Why do you look so sad?'"

"I said, 'It don't look good.' But she says, 'It's OK.' I said, 'Have you looked at the TV, woman?'" he told the crowd with a laugh.

"Here's what she said. She goes, 'You're going to wake up tomorrow, and you're going to be the next head coach at LSU.'"

kane

EOG master
Everyone in Boston knows that Jesus Saves...but Espo scores on the rebound.

Reading this reminded me of a story that happened many years ago. I was standing in line waiting to buy tickets to a concert, the line was pretty long and there was a guy walking around shouting "Jesus is coming", Jesus is coming", to which I replied, "If he's coming here, he better get in the back of the line like everyone else." That got a laugh out of several people around me

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated
LSU showed their ass against Okla. not the time to hold back. Only reason line is 6. If LSU wins close game, line is pick.

waco

EOG Dedicated
If you bet all the favorites before the 1st bowl game started, total 12-6 favorites and 10-8 OVERS

God I fucking hate the Jesus references. If you are so stupid to believe in the scam called religion keep it to yourself.

E$

EOG Dedicated
Can’t hurt to try and get God on your side. I believe that is the number one reason I suck at gambling, God doesn’t like me.

MrTop

EOG Master
God I fucking hate the Jesus references. If you are so stupid to believe in the scam called religion keep it to yourself.

have to ask you this . Note this is a 2 part question …. Do you think you are 100% correct on that subject?

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
is god taking the points or not?

http://www.bpnews.net/48844/lsus-orgeron-wife-and-pastors-coach-him-in-life

LSU's Orgeron: Wife & pastors 'coach' him in life

She said she remained firm in her faith that God had a better plan when her husband had been mentioned as the next head coach for the Tigers as other names kept coming up.

In the last days of LSU's coaching search, one son texted several times with concerns before she finally told him, "Son, when God has a plan, nobody can change it.

"Your father is going to be the next LSU head coach," she remembered telling him, and that was her counsel to Coach O the night before he learned he had been hired by LSU

"I got on my knees and said my prayers," Coach O recounted. "Kelly looked up and asked, 'Why do you look so sad?'"

"I said, 'It don't look good.' But she says, 'It's OK.' I said, 'Have you looked at the TV, woman?'" he told the crowd with a laugh.

"Here's what she said. She goes, 'You're going to wake up tomorrow, and you're going to be the next head coach at LSU.'"

Never connected with Ed Orgeron.

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
As in a random outcome, how about some random replies -- stream of consciousness style.

The underdog appears live in the national championship game not because of divine intervention, but rather due to the ability of a dynamic offense led by a 6-6 gunslinger with big-play abilities.

The number was driven up by recency bias and nothing else.

LSU vs Clemson was plus or minus PK on look ahead lines. Sharp LSU bettors anticipating the LSU blowout would have been wise to bet the near pick'em look ahead line.

Was the Clemson-Ohio State game too much of a physical/emotional bloodbath for the winner?

The two week gap helps Clemson's chances to heal bumps and bruises and recover emotionally, but not enough time to recover from injuries that occurred in the game.

Terrible game control by Clemson against Ohio State.

Stuck 16-0 early, the Tigers were battling to get out of a hole most of the night.

Clemson trailed for nearly 45 minutes of the 60-minute game.

How about this for game control (sarcasm alert): Green Bay led for exactly zero seconds in 2 games versus Detroit, yet WON both games. Similar to a deep closer snapping a front runner at the wire in two different races.

Also, the targeting call on the third down sack and a subsequent PI sparked Clemson's run of 21 points which looked to be stopped on a fumble six, or if you prefer, a scoop and score, which was overturned by reply. With all the twist and turns the game seemed like a coin flip to me, both pre and post game.

Running back J. K. Dobbins of Ohio State hurting his ankle appeared to slow him in the second half turning potential 20-30 yard gains into 11 yard ones or less.

And his drop of a wide open screen pass looking to see where to run before he caught the ball in the first half with OSU leading 10-0 was huge, as a potential three score lead could have occurred, most likely changing the dynamics of the game.

have to ask you this . Note this is a 2 part question …. Do you think you are 100% correct on that subject?
100% guaranteed lock Mr Top. Religion is a brilliant scam that has been perpetrated on the dumb for about as long as man has existed in current form. Now if it makes people happy to believe, so be it but I want it kept out of our lives. What one does in their own time is fine with me, but when it starts infiltrating laws, government and the mass media I say its time to call it the bullshit it is

MrTop

EOG Master
here is the 2nd part of the question. Since you been going to school k-12 grade …& thru trade or college etc. what percent do you think you retained ?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
As in a random outcome, how about some random replies -- stream of consciousness style.

The number was driven up by recency bias and nothing else.

LSU vs Clemson was plus or minus PK on look ahead lines. Sharp LSU bettors anticipating the LSU blowout would have been wise to bet the near pick'em look ahead line.

The two week gap helps Clemson's chances to heal bumps and bruises and recover emotionally, but not enough time to recover from injuries that occurred in the game.

How about this for game control (sarcasm alert): Green Bay led for exactly zero seconds in 2 games versus Detroit, yet WON both games. Similar to a deep closer snapping a front runner at the wire in two different races.

Also, the targeting call on the third down sack and a subsequent PI sparked Clemson's run of 21 points which looked to be stopped on a fumble six, or if you prefer, a scoop and score, which was overturned by reply. With all the twist and turns the game seemed like a coin flip to me, both pre and post game.

Running back J. K. Dobbins of Ohio State hurting his ankle appeared to slow him in the second half turning potential 20-30 yard gains into 11 yard ones or less.

And his drop of a wide open screen pass looking to see where to run before he caught the ball in the first half with OSU leading 10-0 was huge, as a potential three score lead could have occurred, most likely changing the dynamics of the game.

Some excellent notes, Foresthill.

Loved the horse racing analogy about a deep closer snapping a frontrunner at the wire not once, but twice.

OSU v Clemson was a bookmaker's dream.

If you laid -110 in the game, you laid -110 on a coin flip.

Sol Diablo

House of Heat
Simple common sense. I don't worry about if I'm wrong, I know I'm not.

The idea that all of this came from a creator/God is just as silly as thinking it all came from nothing.

You obviously believe in science and proof. Did you know that science tells us... You cannot create nor destroy matter. The Law of Conservation of Mass.

If that is the case, then science cannot explain how this all came to be. The "gasses" had to come from somewhere. Matter had to come from somewhere.

Whatever you believe about the Universe and how it came to be is just as dumb as someone believing that a God is responsible for it all. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you will realize that you aren't really as smart as you think you are.

This world as it exists defies science and law. Simply because it does exist.