My Monday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Ten notes and observations from the scorecard of a dedicated sports bettor:

1) It takes two teams to make the total

True in every sport.

Last Saturday's four college football games involving eight FBS teams proved the point.

Under, under, under and under.

UConn punted 11 times from 13 possessions and failed to score in a 45-point loss to Fresno State.

New Mexico State managed only a 27-yard field goal despite five trips to the red zone in a 27-point loss to rival UTEP.

Hawaii put up a measly 10 points when thoroughly outclassed in a 34-point loss to UCLA at the Rose Bowl.

And Nebraska head coach Scott Frost (12-21 overall, 9-18 in the Big Ten) suffered yet another listless loss as his team fell behind Illinois, 30-9, before scoring the game's final 13 points.

2) Winning teams do not surrender a slew of unanswered points

Again, true in every sport.

Nebraska mismanaged its game against Illinois by allowing the 6.5-point home underdog to score 28 consecutive points in a 30-22 defeat.

A Big Red blogger at HuskerOnline assigned a letter grade of "F" to Nebraska's rushing offense, passing offense and special teams play.

Quarterback Adrian Martinez, who promises a lot and delivers very little, is a turnover-machine, having committed 36 turnovers (20 interceptions and 16 fumbles) in three-plus seasons in Lincoln.

While much talk centered around Bret Bielema's debut at Illinois, let's not forget former ESPN college football analyst Trev Alberts also was making his debut as athletic director at his alma mater.

Alberts will be the man who hands Frost his pink slip at season's end.

Here's hoping you did not bet OVER 6 on Nebraska's season win total.

3) Focus intently on the first few weeks of every new season

This strategy sets the table for the rest of the year.

Handicappers need a solid foundation to understand the ebb and flow of a long season.

Avoid placing too much emphasis on preseason predictions from the media, coaches or so-called experts.

Preview magazines project the fates of all teams in a league or conference with imperfect information.

The complete sports handicapper absorbs the preseason information, but trusts production and performance over polls and predictions.

Trust what you see more than what you read.

4) Know the difference between a scripted play and a broken play

Don't give full credit to heavily-favored college football teams for success on broken plays.

Against overmatched teams, broken plays in college football or college basketball often times work.

Very few broken plays are successful in the NFL or NBA.

5) Track the ability of a football team's defensive unit to pursue and tackle

Football is a game of attrition.

Seek to support the most physical defensive teams.

How quickly does an offensive player hit the ground when the defensive team initiates contact?

I contend a team's defense breaks down neatly into two groups: The front seven and the back seven.

So, the linebacking crew is part of both groups and deserves special attention from smart handicappers.

6) Never underestimate the importance of special teams

View a punt or kickoff as the initial play in a team's defensive stand.

Likewise, a punt return or kickoff return serves as the start of an offensive drive.

The battle for field position is especially critical for teams that are challenged, either offensively or defensively.

Mistakes on special teams sometimes lead to points for the opponent.

And a punt block or kickoff return can create game-changing swings in momentum.

7) Exercise caution when betting hard games or hard numbers

What are hard games and hard numbers?

Here's a hard game: Week 10 of the NFL regular season featuring division rivals like the Ravens and Steelers or Rams and 49ers.

Game 6 or Game 7 in an NBA or NHL playoff series is another example of a hard game.

Hard numbers?

Attacking an NFL or NBA betting board an hour before kickoff or tipoff at a time when most of the good bets at odds of 11/10 have disappeared.

8) Bet early and bet late

If you're going to spend only two hours following the betting marketplace, make it the first hour of wagering and the last hour of wagering.

You catch the mistakes of the oddsmakers in the first hour of wagering and the mistakes of the betting public in the final hour of wagering.

And remember, anyone can make a limit wager on the favored side.

Significant wagering action on a low-profile underdog, especially money-line wagers on the 'dog, should be respected a bit more.

9) Study the body language of coaches and athletes

This is one of my specialties.

Has been for a long time.

Study the huddles in both football and basketball games and observe the dugout interactions in baseball.

Promote teams that exhibit chemistry and camaraderie and demote squads where dissension is present.

In college football and college basketball, downgrade head coaches who sweat every play and argue every referee's decision.

Not the way to go.

I like my coaches to be smart, creative, prepared and most of all, composed.

Here's a unique technique I've employed recently: Read the lips of coaches and players on the sidelines.

During the first month of the WNBA season, I caught Las Vegas Aces head coach Bill Laimbeer telling overmatched Indiana head coach Marianne Stanley: "We're good, we're really really good."

Now if only I could have read the lips of veteran NFL quarterbacks Andy Dalton and Nick Foles this past Saturday night as they were discussing rookie quarterback Justin Fields of the Chicago Bears.

10) Win handily, lose begrudgingly

I have a running debate with fellow EOG contributor WINKYDUCK, who claims it's better to lose a game in blowout fashion from start to finish than to lose a wager by getting beat at the last moment.

No no no.

Horseplayers, who also bet sports, know better.

At the racetrack, you want to lose as many photo finishes as possible, as frustrating as that sounds.

Why?

It's a sign your selections are running well enough to win.

In contrast, losing handicappers watch their horses languish in the back of the pack, a calamitous warning for subsequent wagers.

Dead sides in the sports book, like dead horses at the racetrack, must be avoided at all costs.

This gambling axiom -- Win handily, lose begrudgingly -- also works well for athletes on the playing field.

Check out the team with the best record in the American League this season.

The Tampa Bay Rays are an impressive 82-48.

Amazingly, eleven of the team's 48 losses have come in extra innings.

When the Rays lose, they lose begrudgingly.

Question: Name the only MLB team with a worse record in extra innings than the Tampa Bay Rays?

Answer: The mighty Los Angeles Dodgers.

Winky's favorite team is 4-11 in extra frames this season.

Last edited:

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
The Dodgers have won their last few games in extras to make their record respectable….

Great read as usual JK….some interesting and valid points….

especially about horse players….

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Nebraska game goes over if their K makes one XP - he missed two.

Nice read JK, good stuff as always.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The Dodgers have won their last few games in extras to make their record respectable….

Great read as usual JK….some interesting and valid points….

especially about horse players….

Thanks for checking in, Arturo.

Playing the ponies is a wonderful introduction to gambling games.

A humbling one, too.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Nebraska game goes over if their K makes one XP - he missed two.

Nice read JK, good stuff as always.

Indeed, FW.

Nebraska-Illinois total dropped from 55 to 52.5 in the final 72 hours of wagering.

Nebraska placekicker Connor Culp is lucky to reside in Lincoln, Nebraska instead of Medellin, Colombia.

Not a threat, merely an offhand observation.

1630310971807.png

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Lovie did leave a decent OL for Brett. No stake in the game, was interested in how U of I would fare.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Lovie did leave a decent OL for Brett. No stake in the game, was interested in how U of I would fare.

Lovie Smith once bragged about the number of Illinois coaches with NFL pedigrees.

How did that work out?

Lovie left the University of Illinois with an overall mark of 17-39 and a conference record of 10-33.

For that, Smith was paid $21 million.

Nice guy, miserable college football coach.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
One more note about Lovie Smith.

Here's a blog post before the 2019 college football season:

Do realistic expectations ever matter to college football programs?

Case in point: Illinois head coach Lovie Smith oversees a football program that is 9-27 over the past three seasons and a pathetic 4-23 in conference action.

Two of the four conference victories came against Rutgers during seasons in which the Scarlet Knights went a combined 0-18 in Big Ten play.

Players on the Illini football team disregard both past performances and future predictions (2019 regular-season win total for Illinois is 3.5 wins) when competing during fall camp.

Instead, Illinois breaks every huddle with a three-word battle cry that makes even the most optimistic observer chuckle.

Please hold your laughter when hearing members of the Fighting Illini football team holler, "BIG TEN CHAMPS!"

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
I especially like your note number 9 .
Body Language
is applicable to so very many areas and situations and is an important often overlooked item. Exhibiting or not exhibiting good body language in pressure situations is often the difference between success and failure.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Body Language
is applicable to so very many areas and situations and is an important often overlooked item. Exhibiting or not exhibiting good body language in pressure situations is often the difference between success and failure.

This season, Lions HC Dan Campbell, and OC Anthony Lynn will be perfect examples of this stipulation. Already they have demonstrated weakness in this area and their tenure is only 3 preseason games old. The pressure to succeed in Detroit is tremendous, and these two clowns will cost them games that the Lions should have won or at least cover.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Body Language

Hard to quantify body language, but I think it's a factor.

Though I've been warned about overreacting to situations.

Former D-1 hoopster David Dineen once told me, "Be careful about putting too much stock into camaraderie on the basketball court."

In his experience, there are situations where the biggest a-hole on the team is the only player who can hit a jumper with a hand in his face and the shot clock winding down.

So, instead of looking for positive situations which can sometimes fool you, I prefer to look for negative situations like team dissension.

It's easily spotted on the basketball court where you can see the player's faces and expressions and follow them from the court to the sidelines.

A recent example in the WNBA centered around Atlanta's star rookie Chennedy Carter.

She's on her rookie contract making about $70,000 for the season.

Veteran teammate Courtney Williams is the highest-paid player on the team, making nearly three times as much as Carter.

The ladies are competing at the same position for shots, playing time, respect, etc.

Turns out, Williams was upset at Carter for not rooting for teammates while seated on the bench.

You could see Carter was a malcontent during games and not long thereafter, she left the team for personal reasons.

Not surprisingly, the Dream started playing better basketball without Carter.

Addition by subtraction.

Cancer gone.

By the way, I think Atlanta is a live underdog this Thursday night on the road against the Dallas Wings.

Anything more than a 3.5-point head start is value.

And we could be catching as many as five or six points.

Last edited:

Heim

EOG Master
Lovie went from the Skipper to a program run by Gilligan by the time he was done.

The mantra he's a defensive guru stopped with the 62-0 scores.

P.S. Body language is so important especially in CBB. Especially after a tough loss with
a eye on a team's next game.

I like 1-9, not sure I agree on 10. If a team loses a tough game by 3 when getting 3.5 the losing coach doenst go say hey guys, at least you fought hard for the ATS cover. Now if your picks are getting crushed for a day or two then yeah good time to take a day off and get recentered, we all have those stretches. But a win is a win and a loss is a loss and often they just will follow a normal distribution curve.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
More possibilities on Number 9
and the relevance of body language -
catching a person you are interacting with lying
Reading someone at a poker table
Free throws
Asking or attempting to ask a girl you like
for a date
Tennis players or pitchers that are about to do
Poorly or excellent
Handicapping a handicapper who is inflicting his opinion on you
Negotiating a sale or purchase at the price you want

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Hard to quantify body language, but I think it's a factor.

Though I've been warned about overreacting to situations.

Former D-1 hoopster David Dineen once told me, "Be careful about putting too much stock into camaraderie on the basketball court."

In his experience, there are situations where the biggest a-hole on the team is the only player who can hit a jumper with a hand in his face and the shot clock winding down.

So, instead of looking for positive situations which can sometimes fool you, I prefer to look for negative situations like team dissension.

It's easily spotted on the basketball court where you can see the player's faces and expressions and follow them from the court to the sidelines.

A recent example in the WNBA centered around Atlanta's star rookie Chennedy Carter.

She's on her rookie contract making about $70,000 for the season.

Veteran teammate Courtney Williams is the highest-paid player on the team, making nearly three times as much as Carter.

The ladies are competing at the same position for shots, playing time, respect, etc.

Turns out, Williams was upset at Carter for not rooting for teammates while seated on the bench.

You could see Carter was a malcontent during games and not long thereafter, she left the team for personal reasons.

Not surprisingly, the Dream started playing better basketball without Carter.

Addition by subtraction.

Cancer gone.

By the way, I think Atlanta is a live underdog this Thursday night on the road against the Dallas Wings.

Anything more than a 3.5-point head start is value.

And we could be catching as many as five or six points.

Final score: Dallas 72 Atlanta 68.

I took Atlanta +7.

Documented winner.

Watching the commercial-free replay now from WNBA's League Pass.

Last edited: