NBA Looking To Shorten Overtime...

Heim

EOG Master
Adam Silver is looking to shorten NBA overtimes by fixating a 'target' number, when the team hits it, game over.

For example if it's '7', first team that scores seven wins.

They have it in the G League, shorting overtmes in half.

If they really want to shorten games how about shortening reviews that can take 10 minutes.

On a similar interesting note, the Vegas Summer League is 'sudden death' in OT. First basket wins.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I'd go for 10-minute quarters.

The NBA record book not nearly as sacred as the MLB record book.

As for OT, five minutes feels too long.

Cut to the chase with a two-minute overtime period.

Easy fix.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Healthy players sitting out games is the strongest argument to shorten the game or shorten the season.

Not a good look for NBA fans, many of whom must show up to work every day.

Then again, with the recent trend of "quiet quitting" and four-day work weeks maybe the NBA is a trendsetter.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
I'd go for 10-minute quarters.

The NBA record book not nearly as sacred as the MLB record book.

As for OT, five minutes feels too long.

Cut to the chase with a two-minute overtime period.

Easy fix.
This isn't Women's CBB or the WNBA. Keep the 12 minute quarters. If you want to shorten overtime, make it 3 minutes. Another senseless effort to take away from the fans. We want our money's worth. There are diehards willing to sit through extra innings and overtimes. I thought the extra innings rule change was initially supposed to shorten games because of covid concerns? So tired of commissioners destroying what little integrity and originality is left.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I would like to see the men's college game go to four 10-minute quartets rather than the current format of two 20-minute halves.

Makes for more strategy and excitement.

I like when the smart teams know how to play the clock in a 2-for-1 situation in the final minute of a period.

Advantage to the smart coaches and point guards.

And double the number of potential buzzer-beaters.

Ray Donovan

EOG Enthusiast
Maybe Elam Ending to 8 or 9 but no ft's except shooting fouls & Technical Fouls. Technical Fouls should always come w/possession of the ball too

railbird

EOG Master
This isn't Women's CBB or the WNBA. Keep the 12 minute quarters. If you want to shorten overtime, make it 3 minutes. Another senseless effort to take away from the fans. We want our money's worth. There are diehards willing to sit through extra innings and overtimes. I thought the extra innings rule change was initially supposed to shorten games because of covid concerns? So tired of commissioners destroying what little integrity and originality is left.
nba doesnt have fans, most tickets are entertainment writeoffs, its like a trip to the zoo, tv is tied to gambling. very few "fans"

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
As a neutral spectator, I like the concept of the Elam ending.

As an invested observer, I will reserve my opinion until further notice.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Same answer. Get rid of overtimes regular season. This is the answer every sport. Make wins more valuable. The only argument against is history and tradition but that ship has sailed long gone.

Heim

EOG Master
Illegal defense, not called often, but definitely interrupts the flow, with stoppage, free throw, out of bounds. Stupid rule.

Dell Dude

EOG Master
Take away the timeouts.

This also. College basketball would be she's perfect if only timeouts were every 4 minutes. Maybe allow each team to have 1 timeout for the last 4 minutes. Get rid of all the delays and breaks. Smooth flow to 0:00.

railbird

EOG Master
We exchanged Fathers for welfare checks, belief in God for belief in Government, the Patriarchy for the Matriarchy" FACTS!