NBA opening July 31

Abundy

EOG Addicted
Am I the only one that thinks the NBA is missing a great opportunity to have the viewing to it self

Abundy

EOG Addicted
They should be playing on July 1 and ending right before football starts. Adam Silver is an idiot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Valuist

EOG Master
I'm surprised they are waiting that long myself. Its looking more and more like no MLB.

Trying to come up with some angles for the NBA. Fitness is going to be key. Maybe the heaviest starting 5s will be at a disadvantage?

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Yeah I can't understand why they are waiting so long either myself. 22 teams invited to Orlando, 8 regular season games I believe. Then a postseason with play ins commences if the 9th seed is 4 or fewer games behind the 8th seed after the additional 8 regular season games are completed in both conferences. So for teams like the Warriors, T Wolves, Knicks, and Hawks among others, have a great summer.

Last edited:

lastyle7

EOG Veteran
Probably play majority of playoff games during the week to avoid weekend issues with football.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Next season will start around Dec 1. It wouldn’t surprise me if they started on Christmas. It’s basically the unofficial start of the season anyway. The finals will end in August.

Valuist

EOG Master
Yeah I can't understand why they are waiting so long either myself. 22 teams invited to Orlando, 8 regular season games I believe. Then a postseason with play ins commences if the 9th seed is 4 or fewer games behind the 8th seed after the additional 8 regular season games are completed in both conferences. So for teams like the Warriors, T Wolves, Knicks, and Hawks among others, have a great summer.

Warriors get a full offseason to heal up. Get a good draft pick after their shitty season. Steph and Klay get healthy. They will be major factors next year.

skinny

EOG Addicted
They're playing the 8 regular season games because of some contractual agreement to get the TV money.
No one's talking about that, but that's the reason.
As usual just follow the money for these type of stupid decisions.
Starting the playoffs now with the 16 teams currently in would have been a ratings bonanza with nothing else going on.

jimmythegreek

There playing the 8 regular season games because of some contractual agreement to get the TV money.
Starting the playoffs now with the 16 teams currently in would have been a ratings bonanza with nothing else going on.
It's not solely about money, it's determination. of playoff seedings. The league isn't going to give teams that are within striking distance of the 8th seed the shaft that easily.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
There playing the 8 regular season games because of some contractual agreement to get the TV money.
The teams that are playoff bound or have a chance for the 8th seed are playing. The lottery teams like GS, Det, Chi are done for the season.

skinny

EOG Addicted
They want Zion in for sure, but it's more than that.
It has something to do with the amount of regular season games played to get the money from their TV partners.
They were talking about this on visn a few weeks ago.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
WNBA players were supporting Black Lives Matter as early as 2016.

Players on the Liberty, Dream and Fever wore black warm-up suits to honor the cause.

In response, the WNBA handed each team $5,000 uniform infraction fines, as well as $500 fines for each player who participated in the demonstration.

Whoops!

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
They want Zion in for sure, but it's more then that.
It has something to do with the amount of regular season games played to get the money from their TV partners.
They were talking about this on visn a few weeks ago.
I think the players are owed one more check, but the owners haven't received the bulk of the TV money yet. The owners need the playoffs for their big money.

Valuist

EOG Master
Next season will start around Dec 1. It wouldn’t surprise me if they started on Christmas. It’s basically the unofficial start of the season anyway. The finals will end in August.

But then when would 2021-2022 start? They need to reduce the 2020-2021 regular season otherwise the dog will keep chasing their tail. They are going to have to have a ton of back to backs. Starting this season so late is a mistake. Just go straight to a playoff.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
But then when would 2021-2022 start? They need to reduce the 2020-2021 regular season otherwise the dog will keep chasing their tail. They are going to have to have a ton of back to backs. Starting this season so late is a mistake. Just go straight to a playoff.
I thought they should have went to the playoff also. I think the league wants to get away from October regular season games totally.

Valuist

EOG Master
I thought they should have went to the playoff also. I think the league wants to get away from October regular season games totally.

They used to start right around Halloween then the players bitched and complained about too many back to backs. If they want less B2Bs, they have to start mid October. Personally, I like more B2Bs as they can create more opportunities.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I've been studying load management in the NBA since the mid-1980's.

Just never used the term.

Valuist

EOG Master
Is there any reason offshores have not refunded NBA season win bets? In most cases, all 82 games must be played for action. The NBA has already acknowledged that will NOT be happening.

jimmythegreek

Is there any reason offshores have not refunded NBA season win bets? In most cases, all 82 games must be played for action. The NBA has already acknowledged that will NOT be happening.
Your book might reserve the right to hold off until all 8 regular season games have been played, unless it was a team that didn't qualify for the postseason.

Seems like a no brainer to have NBA end in August every year. Unlike the other sports people are playing a lot of hoops outside in summer so it's a natural fit. NHL talking about a summer finish which is good for less competition, but makes no sense in the natural cycle. Would benefit both sports to no have their finals around the same time.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
They used to start right around Halloween then the players bitched and complained about too many back to backs. If they want less B2Bs, they have to start mid October. Personally, I like more B2Bs as they can create more opportunities.
There used to be a lot of 3 in 4 nights, even 4 in 5 nights back in the 80's.

Valuist

EOG Master
There used to be a lot of 3 in 4 nights, even 4 in 5 nights back in the 80's.

There's still a decent number of 3 games/4 nights. Just not as many as in the past. I have found teams tend to be blindly bet against in the second of a back to back. Lets say a team wins or loses big the previous night but no starter plays more than 30 minutes. Those teams still get bet against even though its likely nobody was overly fatigued.

Valuist

EOG Master
Bookmaker.eu says they will be grading 2019-2020 NBA season win total bets on or before June 30. Haven't gotten an answer from Heritage.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Am I the only one that thinks the NBA is missing a great opportunity to have the viewing to it self
Agreed.

Skinny is right. The tv contract needs a 70 game season for a strong percentage of the contract.

Rj bell had a good breakdown of this last week on a show that was logical from the eastern conference standpoint.

Follow the money in anything in this world will lead you to the truth 100%of the time.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
There's still a decent number of 3 games/4 nights. Just not as many as in the past. I have found teams tend to be blindly bet against in the second of a back to back. Lets say a team wins or loses big the previous night but no starter plays more than 30 minutes. Those teams still get bet against even though its likely nobody was overly fatigued.
Zero travel now should have the no need for any team having 2 days off. The playoffs should be done quickly instead of stretching it over 2 weekds.
Should be back to back, rest, back to back, rest, back to back, rest, game 7.

10 days at the most.

Valuist

EOG Master
Zero travel now should have the no need for any team having 2 days off. The playoffs should be done quickly instead of stretching it over 2 weekds.
Should be back to back, rest, back to back, rest, back to back, rest, game 7.

10 days at the most.

Yes, for this season. I agree w/all points.

Fair Warning and I were talking about the following season. When should 2020-2021 start, with the current season getting pushed back so much. The further the start gets pushed back, the more B2Bs.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Yes, for this season. I agree w/all points.

Fair Warning and I were talking about the following season. When should 2020-2021 start, with the current season getting pushed back so much. The further the start gets pushed back, the more B2Bs.
I would say start the season as planned. Otherwise this becomes a cycle that takes years to get back on track.

Keep the playoffs as tight as possible to allow for time off before the next training camp begins.

Valuist

EOG Master
I would say start the season as planned. Otherwise this becomes a cycle that takes years to get back on track.

Keep the playoffs as tight as possible to allow for time off before the next training camp begins.

If next season starts in October, no doubt I will have a bet on Golden State to win the 2020-2021 title.

Valuist

EOG Master
I see 260 employees at Orlando Int'l Airport tested positive. Gives guys like Kyrie another excuse not to play.