Need advice.....guy is sending me a payment, but with a personal check

Mr. NBA

EOG Dedicated
I told him I prefered cash, but he insisted on paying via check. So I say a certified check is fine, but no he has sent a PERSONAL check. Guys should I be worried....are there tricks that can be done to do a pay and then pull it back?....like with a CC? If so I am going to just rip up the check and tell him that aint gonna work.:devil:......I know I could get a rubber check, but thats the least of my worries as thats only 20 bucks.

thanks

BigDaddy

EOG Master
Re: Need advice.....guy is sending me a payment, but with a personal check

can't you just wait until it clears? personal checks don't take that long to clear do they?

PassTheRock

EOG Master

cash it. You'll know if a few days if it is good or not.

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

Take it to the bank it's issued from (if possible)

how much is the check for? i really don't understand your problem. either the check clears or it doesn't. if you don't mind the $20 bounce fee, don't see the problem here.

Mr. NBA

EOG Dedicated

can't you just wait until it clears? personal checks don't take that long to clear do they?

oh i am in no hurry......so when it clears thats it no tricky stuff right?.....I dont want to get ripped here.

oh i am in no hurry......so when it clears thats it no tricky stuff right?.....I dont want to get ripped here.

You're ok after it clears as long as it is not a Canadian Bank check. They can come back on you up to 6 months later!

roseman

EOG Dedicated

Once it clears your good. Best option would be to find a branch where the check is drawn out of.

J

joeybagadonuts

Take it to the bank it's issued from (if possible)

Yup, that's what I always do. If the person actually has the cash in their account, you'll get it right there on the spot.

Mr. NBA

EOG Dedicated

Yup, that's what I always do. If the person actually has the cash in their account, you'll get it right there on the spot.

Good to know....I will do this....thanks for the comments everyone.:thumbsup

Tuckman

Uh Poster

u didnt seem the type to deal with shady people, if u think this guy would even screw u in anyway, why do u even deal with him?

soli

EOG Dedicated

u didnt seem the type to deal with shady people, if u think this guy would even screw u in anyway, why do u even deal with him?

This is what I don't understand about most of the guys who try and take bets or deal with folks they really don't know or trust

Mr. NBA

EOG Dedicated

I am sorry fellas...guess I should of mentioned this has NOTHING to do with gambling and I dont know this guy. Every year I buy new fishing equipment and sell my other shit from the year before. I sell it on a fishing forum and I have never had a guy send me a payment with a personal check before, usually cash(paypal).....I have been ripped off before and just trying to double check to see if there were any scams that I should be aware of.

Once again thanks for the advice.:thumbsup

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

What kind of fishing you do Mr. NBA? I'm gettin ready to rip some lips myself...

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

Stripers, trout and catfish. I guess i fish more for the beer than the sport.