New Labor Deal In WNBA....Is This The Beginning Of The End?

Heim

EOG Master
"The WNBA and its union announced a tentative eight-year labor deal Tuesday that will allow top players to
earn more than $500,000 while the average annual compensation will surpass six figures for the first time.

The contract, which begins this season and runs through 2027, will pay players an average of $130,000
and guarantees full salaries while on maternity leave. The collective bargaining agreement also provides enhanced
family benefits, travel standards and other health and wellness improvements.
"

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
this is all funded by the NBA right? there is no way that the WNBA is earning this much as I have no idea who watches basketball for layups and midrange jumpers.

MrTop

EOG Master
Some talented women for sure. Still hard to sell the WNBA product on tv. . The sports books do not help selling it to the bettors enough either.

If the idea was to make money today the WNBA wouldn't be running. Think about it, they have to pay say 10 more players another 50k, 500k per team in higher salaries. Drop in the bucket. I think what they were concerned about is that all these ladies go play in China or wherever during the offseason because they don't make enough during WNBA season, kinda steals their thunder and gives some promotion to overseas leagues the NBA/WNBA have nothing to do with.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
I don't watch the WNBA but my favorite player is that della donne. liked here after she turned done uconn to play there and love her game. sportscenter highlights is where I find my info.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
If the idea was to make money today the WNBA wouldn't be running. Think about it, they have to pay say 10 more players another 50k, 500k per team in higher salaries. Drop in the bucket. I think what they were concerned about is that all these ladies go play in China or wherever during the offseason because they don't make enough during WNBA season, kinda steals their thunder and gives some promotion to overseas leagues the NBA/WNBA have nothing to do with.
I have a strong sense that the NBA owners don't really have a say in this. you are right its a drop in the bucket for them in terms of cost.

the new salaries are laughable as this is more to do with the "woke" culture then it is about the WNBA earning more money and spreading it to their players. this is a way for the nba to quiet the social justice warriors who want equal pay than it is that the wnba product is gaining popularity. so nba owners are told to break off a couple mil to make it look good and they simply write the checks knowing full well that with gambling on the forefront of being placed inside their stadiums hundreds of millions are going to be flowing into their accounts in the next 5 years.

these wnba games wouldn't sell out low level hs gyms.