NFL Fantasy Football News/Articles - ESPN Insider 4 New Articles Added 11/6/06

Hache Man

"Seven Days Without Gambling Makes One Weak"
Some players shuffled around for this upcoming season, and some tough decisions for those who draft in the top 3 positions.......

LaDanian Tomlinson ?
Shaun Alexander ?
Larry Johnson ?

Can Edgerrin James put up solid numbers now that he's in Arizona?

Should Dallas Cowboys' Terrell Owens be the first WR taken?

Can San Diego's Antonio Gates coninue to put up All-Star RECEIVER stats with Philip Rivers at QB now?

As usual, success in the Football Fantasy World this coming season will rely on some homework, early transactions & trades, and just pure luck!

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
I really enjoy fantasy.

LaDanian Tomlinson ? Winner
Shaun Alexander ? Winner
Larry Johnson ? Not sure

Can Edgerrin James put up solid numbers now that he's in Arizona? Not as good as being in Indy.

Should Dallas Cowboys' Terrell Owens be the first WR taken? No, Marvin Harrison is the guy.

Can San Diego's Antonio Gates coninue to put up All-Star RECEIVER stats with Philip Rivers at QB now? I doubt it. Brees was the man!

sabian06

EOG Dedicated
yeah i remember not long ago that everyone was shy on taken T.O. when he went to the eagles......He exploded his first year in philly....everyone was all over him the next season.........

A lot of people got burnt by Culpepper last year after his huge year in 2004. His stock slide this year becasue of the injury uncertainties and the belief he can't get it done without Moss

But, he's gonna have one hell of a comeback year in 2006 if his knee is 100 %

sabian06

EOG Dedicated
Ego74 said:
A lot of people got burnt by Culpepper last year after his huge year in 2004. His stock slide this year becasue of the injury uncertainties and the belief he can't get it done without Moss

But, he's gonna have one hell of a comeback year in 2006 if his knee is 100 %

I unfortunately was one of those guys ego:+frustrat ....he destroyed me..........but i hope you are so right on the money for this..............major dolphins fan here :D

Barring injuries, Dolphins are gonna be major players in the AFC in 2006, Sabian. I hear they may be landing Lavar Arrington soon as well

Hache Man

2 Oakland Raiders Teammates to consider & keep an eye on, who in my opinion will rebound with big numbers this year:

QB Aaron Brooks (Former Saints QB)
WR Randy Moss

I believe these two are going to hook up BIG time this year.
Each of them will depend on the other the complete season.
This combination could even mimic the days of Culpepper to Moss.

As long as Aaron & his WR Corps stay healthy, Brooks should put up large passing statistics while throwing to Moss, Joey Porter, and RB Lamont Jordan, who the coaching staff like throwing to out of the backfield while having 70 receptions last year.

Hache Man

Some other thought I want to share with myfellow EOG Fantasy Players

New Minnesota RB Chester Taylor (Baltimore Ravens)

If the Vikings coaching staff would commit to one RB instead of changing starters from week to week, new RB Chester Taylor could make a huge impact. He could be a steal in your Fantasy Draft, but in all reality it is just too risky.

Other new RB tandem who's numbers could be affected by sharing playing time, making them risky:

AFC:
Baltimore Ravens: Jamal Lewis / Mike Anderson

NFC:
Arizona Cardinals: Even though former Colts RB Edgerrin James will obviously be the featured back, Arizona's coaches will still more than likely give playing time to both Marcel Shipp & JJ Arrington , hurting Edgerrin's numbers just a bit.

Carolina Panthers: With the release of Stephen Davis, it eliminates a RB tandem which has been problematic for Fantasy Players in the past, and opens the door for DeShaun Foster to get most of the playing time, which should equal big production.

New Orleans Saints: Saints signed Michael Bennett. Even though Deuce will carry the load when healthy, it's just another RB to clog up the backfield with Deuce , Antowain Smith , Aaron Stecker, & Anthony Thomas (If they keep them all that is)

Totally agree about Chester Taylor, Hache. I actually thought the Ravens were going to let go of Lewis and make Taylor the man there. My only question about the guy was if he had the durability to carry the ball 25-30 times a game, no question about him having the tools to be a big time back

Hache Man

Ego I would of guessed that Baltimore was going to keep Taylor also.
Like you, it really surprised me that they held on to Lewis and let Taylor go, who seemed to be very effective when in the game......

sabian06

EOG Dedicated
Ego74 said:
Barring injuries, Dolphins are gonna be major players in the AFC in 2006, Sabian. I hear they may be landing Lavar Arrington soon as well

hope you are right ego..........I would really love to have arrington but i think his price might be a little too high......if we get him along with zach thomas and an up and coming star in channing crowder then we will be a force at linebacker

Yah, I think LaVar is commanding $6 million a year. Maybe they can wait it out and his price will go down some

Hache Man

WR Nate Burleson

This guy should have a big year in Seattle, who signed him away from Minnesota.

After a big year in 2004/2005 , he was limited due to injury this past season.

He should play the opposite side of Darrell Jackson with Bobby Engram going back to the 3rd receiver.

As long as they all stay healthy, Matt Hasselbeck & the Hawks could be even more dangerous this year.

Hache Man

Dallas QB Drew Bledsoe

Although Bill Parcells loves to run the ball, he seemed to open it up a little bit more with Bledsoe having targets such as Terry Glenn, Keyshawn Johnson, and tight end Jason Witten.

What may be surprising to some is that Drew Bledsoe finished 8th in the NFL in total passing yardage this past season.

With Terrell Owens joining the Dallas offense this year, Bledsoe once again should put up solid numbers and could likely improve on last season.

mofome

Banned
-TO Signing will help glen more than anything else, well he and witten
-TO does nothign vs the skins.
-TO now has to play vs philyl who has a great sedcondary
-TO vs the gmen could be his best NFC east matchup
-Smith will be the best fantasy WR with S Moss close second.
-James will have great value in AZ as soon as warner isnt at QB
-Culpepper will be a stud if the Oline plays well
-Bush/Maroney/Williams could be rookie studs
-Johnson is your #1 pick
-Koren robinsons is your breakout candidate at WR
-Javon walker is the best Wr (with favre back)likely to slip the most.
-Portis tops 1850 total yards with new offense and Al Saunders
-Chambers becomes a top 4 WR

those are a few things off the head, much more as the season nears.

love it

JTC43005

EOG Member
FANTASY FOOTBALL STUD

FANTASY FOOTBALL STUD

MARK IT DOWN, TAKE A PICTURE OF IT, I DON'T GIVE A F**K!!!
LARRY JOHNSON WILL RULE FANTASY FOOTBALL NEXT SEASON.

sportstalk

EOG Member
JTC43005 said:
MARK IT DOWN, TAKE A PICTURE OF IT, I DON'T GIVE A F**K!!!
Just like hache said in the beginning, it will come down to those 3 running backs of LT - L J - and Alexander.
I think it's still up in the air on priest holmes coming back.If he does then that takes away some playing time for lj.

sabian06

EOG Dedicated
not sayin he would be top 3 but could see him in the top 5 if he can stay healthy (which you can say about anyone) is julius jones from dallas......especially in leagues where receptions count........with TO it will now open up everything even more.....glenn TO jason witten....drew has it made this year....julius jones IF HEALTHY top 5 possibly top 3

Hache Man

Good point Sabian, but as you said key is Julius Jones staying healthy, which he has struggled to do so far in Dallas.

If he does though, there could be a lot of scores/TD's for him this year.....

Hache Man

mofome said:
Portis saw his value increase the most with the Additions of Saunders, Lloyd, and El

:cheers

It's hard to disagree with that mofo, but I'm not sold yet on Antwaan Randle El making it elsewhere. He's a role player that fit into's Pittsburgh's perfectly. Not sure if he will have the same success elsewhere....

Hache Man

2006 NFL RB Draft Class

As the top underclassmen usually don?t participate in all-star games, they typically are in a holding pattern until they have a chance to showcase themselves at the Combine. Then the event usually becomes one where underclassmen rise and some seniors fall by default. However, that was not the case this year. Redemption for seniors was a big theme for this RB class at the Combine. With the notable exception of DeAngelo Williams, many of the top rated senior prospects heading in to 2005 had disappointing seasons and several underclassmen quickly passed them up on draft boards. However, with all the top underclassmen choosing to not work out at the Combine, the spotlight went to several seniors who took advantage of the opportunity. Joseph Addai, Jerious Norwood, Leon Washington, and Jerome Harrison all built on very good all-star games to help themselves even more at the Combine. Wali Lundy came out of nowhere to resurrect his draft value. While they had fine seasons, Andre Hall, Quinton Ganther, and Wendell Mathis had been overlooked, but won?t be any longer. The net effect was this RB class is looking a lot deeper than originally perceived. The seemingly improved depth in this class could hurt the draft value of those slotted directly behind Bush, who remains the consensus first pick overall. Teams will think twice about reaching early for a RB when the difference between a number of candidates likely to be there a round or two later is not believed to be that great. Here is a link to find the results of the physical tests at the Combine from two good sources.

Most of those who had a good showing at the Combine sat on their test results at Pro Days, but the big news was the redemption of two top underclassmen, the fall of another, and Bush. Brian Calhoun showed the expected speed he lacked at the Combine and the wait was worth it when Laurence Maroney finally worked out. On the other hand, LenDale White may have cost himself a first round pick. Despite not needing to, Reggie Bush provided the ridiculous numbers to back his status. Among the seniors, DeAngelo Williams wowed them, as well.
Here are links to find the results of Pro Days from three good sources:
NFL.com
NextLevelScoutingInc
FFLiveWire
While a fun activity, full mock drafts and trying to identify the specific round a player will go the deeper you go in the draft is an exercise in futility. So instead of a formal value board, I group an RB class in more general terms, under fairly self-explanatory headings. It?s important to note this is not a ranking of future value per se, just where I expect them to be drafted.

Key: Name (School - Class as of 2005) Height Weight Estimated 40

Blue Chips
Unfortunately the top RB prospects did not follow suit of their 2005 predecessors, who were not afraid to run and participate in drills at the Combine. So unlike last year, we left the Combine without a clear picture of what RBs are solidly locked in as first round picks. As the likely first pick overall, Bush remained a constant (and subsequently locked it up at his Pro Day), but the consensus pre-Combine next three (Maroney, L. White, and D. Williams) all had a lot riding on their Pro Days and individual workouts. Only White proceeded to disappoint.

Reggie Bush (Southern California - 3JR) 5?11? 200 4.45 - Career stats
While it has gotten ridiculous how many players chose to not participate at the Combine in physical tests and/or drills (sort of defeats the purpose ? come on, NFL, stand together and do something about this), Bush?s decision is at least relatively understandable. As the consensus expected top pick overall, he had nothing to gain and millions to lose by taking part in the Senior Bowl and workouts at the Combine, especially if he was injured. Even just getting measured netted him a positive result, as he came in nearly 5?11? (actually was that flat at USC?s Pro Day), when some were certain he?d come in shorter. However, unlike teammate LenDale White, Bush saved his best for last, completely blowing scouts away at USC?s April 2nd Pro Day. He was reported to have run between a 4.33 and 4.41 40 yard dash on AstroTurf, making him possibly the fastest back in the draft. His 40 ? inch vertical was the best by a RB and his 10?8?? broad jump and 24 reps were among the best recorded at the position as well. His measurements were right on target with his weight one pound heavier than at the Combine (202). Despite uninspired efforts from the Texans to appear still undecided, unless they are overwhelmed with a trade offer, their exercising a healthy bonus and contract extension on David Carr makes Bush more certain to not just go first overall on April 29th ,but to Houston (as opposed to someone trading in to the top spot), as well.

Laurence Maroney (Minnesota - 3JR) 5?11? 210 4.51 - Career stats
The only positive thing for Maroney at the Combine was his measurements. He looked good at the weigh-in and at 5?11? exactly and 217 pounds has good size for a feature back. Other than that, a slight strain to his lower left hamstring injured in January while training for the Combine prevented him from helping himself there. He planned to run at the Combine, but two days before, after testing the hamstring, he decided to decline participating in any workouts, apparently on the advice of doctors and his agent. He also spent a while under the MRI machine at the Combine checking the hamstring and an old Achilles? tendon sprain that kept him out of the MSU game during the season. Despite expecting to be healthy for Minnesota?s Pro Day on March 6th, he again refrained from performing physical tests due to the hamstring. He redeemed himself at an individual workout at Minnesota on March 23rd. He ran one sub-4.50 40 (reports range from 4.46 - 4.49) on FieldTurf (same surface as was run on at the Combine), but did not run a second due to the hamstring acting up. That also prevented him from completing the agility tests. His weight was 216, a pound less than at the Combine, so the additional weight he put on since the end of the season took away none of his speed, another good sign. He was impressive in most of the other test, including putting up 21 reps on the bench and having a 35 ? inch vertical. Equally important, he showed competence as a receiver, another question mark about him. While it is a bit worrisome the hamstring was still an issue, he erased a lot of doubts about his value. Star Tribune writer Sid Hartman reported most scouts he talked to at the workout felt he locked up a first round pick. After not performing at the Combine or at the Gophers? scheduled Pro Day, he had a bit of pressure on him, but he came through well. He remains in the hunt to be the second RB selected overall.

DeAngelo Williams (Memphis - 4SR) 5?9? 209 4.53 - Career stats
After getting measured at the Senior Bowl, his height was no surprise (he actually gained a half inch), and he was a solid 214 pounds. While he did no running drills, he performed well in the others, including an outstanding 25 reps on the bench, displaying incredible upper body strength. He did everything else March 24th at the Memphis Pro Day, catching the ball very well and putting up extremely impressive test numbers. He had a wind-aided 4.40 on a rubber track and 4.48 against the wind. He also had showed great quickness and athleticism with a 4.10 short shuttle, 6.57 cone drill, 10?9? broad jump, and 34 ? inch vertical. The first three numbers would have been best among RBs at the Combine. His size remains a bit of a concern, which wasn?t helped when his weight at the Pro Day showed he actually dropped seven pounds since the Combine, which probably reflects more accurately what his playing weight will be. Already having shown incredible running skills on a mediocre team, he has now proven to be an elite physical specimen, as well.

Joseph Addai (LSU - 5SR) 5?11? 210 4.44 - Career stats
After an outstanding showing at the Combine, it is impossible to allow my personal doubts about what he has proven to bias the mounting evidence that Addai will be one of the top backs selected in the draft. He measured in a bit shorter than advertised, but still very good size for a feature back, and tied for the second fastest 40-yard dash time. He also had the best vertical jump of all running backs (38 ? inches), which is noteworthy because some Scouts value this as an excellent indicator of overall explosiveness, and put up a respectable (for a RB) 18 reps in the bench press. He looked good running and catching the ball in the drills, as well. Considering none of the players ranked ahead of him worked out, he was arguably the most impressive RB to perform at the Combine. Not surprisingly, he chose to sit on his terrific Combine numbers and only participated in drills at the LSU Pro Day. I still think his scattered resume and injury history could prevent teams from considering him a sure thing. However, he is now locked in as a Day One pick and has to be considered a dark horse to go as high as the first round. It appears the Colts have been significantly interested, which would likely mean they would have to be targeting him in the first round. The amount of publicity surrounding their interest is a bit unusual, teams usually like to hold their cards a little closer to the vest, which could mean it is propaganda to throw people off the true RB they are targeting. On the other hand, his pass catching ability is probably second to only Bush, which is obviously valued by the Colts.

Likely Day One
I already feel the four guys above are a lock to be early picks, with the top three having first round upside. After that, you have White who may have literally grown himself out of the first round and Norwood, who remains an enigma. LenDale White (Southern California - 3JR) 6?2? 235 4.51 - Career stats
The media made much ado about his comments at the Combine that he played in the Rose Bowl at over 245 pounds. What was apparently forgotten is how well he played, outshining Reggie Bush and Matt Leinart in the game. He weighed in exactly at his listed playing weight, but there have been questions in the past about his dedication and effort. In front of a full house of reps from every NFL team, White gave all the wrong answers to those questions when he showed up at 244 pounds at USC on April 2nd and did no other test besides a disappointing 15 reps on the bench. Further reports indicate he does have a partially torn hamstring, but he did not help himself admitting his work ethic is something he needs to improve (his actions pretty much left that without saying). Theories that he purposely sabotaged his workout to fall to a better team in the first round, apparently with the guidance of some of these teams (most notably by NFL Network correspondent/Bronco mouth-piece Adam Schefter) are absurd. White is claiming he will run in individual workouts before the draft, but despite the injury being proven legit, I don?t think his draft value is completed regain. There are still questions he hasn?t answered. I no longer consider him a lock to be first round pick, but it is easy to see a team not wanting to pass on a player with the potential to be the next Jamal Lewis.

Jerious Norwood (Mississippi State - 4SR) 6?0? 204 4.41 - Career stats
Built on his momentum of a fine Senior Bowl with another impressive performance at the Combine. In addition to tying for the second fastest 40 time, he performed well in most of the physical tests and RB drills, particularly in demonstrating good hands. He sat on most of his numbers at his Pro Day, but did put the bar up 18 times (compared to 15 reps at the Combine) and did drills. He was down four pounds at his Pro Day, as well. No RB has helped himself more since the season ended. The steady climb he and Addai have displayed in the post-season are reminiscent of Julius Jones and Tatum Bell two years ago.

Borderline Day One
This group has the potential to be Day One picks, but they have some concerns in one or more areas regarding measurables, durability, or character. Their collegiate achievement and/or measurables are not enough at this point to guarantee an early pick. Round Three is always murky territory. One or two surprises show up by teams that are really in love with a guy and don?t want to end Day One without having secured him. So while I feel these guys have the potential to be chosen by then, only so many RBs get drafted Day One and any of these could be victimized by the numbers. Jerome Harrison (Washington State - 4SR) 5?9? 199 4.50 - Career stats
Another player who continued to build on the momentum of a solid Senior Bowl performance. His vertical was about the only disappointing facet of his physical tests, the rest were very impressive. Any questions about his speed were erased with sub-4.5 times. In an RB class with less depth, I think he?d be a lock for a Day One pick, but some bigger backs have helped themselves, as well, and he still carries the stigma of the perception of being undersized. I?d be equally unsurprised to see him be the sixth back drafted on Day One or fall to Day Two.

Maurice Drew (UCLA - 3JR) 5?8? 205 4.41 - Career stats
My lasting memory of Drew at the Combine will be his massive thighs. They helped propel him to the best 40 time among RBs and offset some concerns about his height, the second shortest among the RB group. He stood on his Combine numbers, but participated in drills at the UCLA Pro Day. He still faces an uphill battle to get a feature back opportunity at the next level, but his elite speed and return skills will prevent teams from waiting too long to pick him.

Brian Calhoun (Wisconsin - 4JR) 5?9? 194 4.41 - Career stats
After a two tremendously disappointing 40 times at the Combine, Calhoun?s stock was dropping fast. However, he did perform well in drills and definitely turned things around at Wisconsin?s Pro Day. He reportedly turned in a fantastic 4.38 time and, depending on how accurate it is, keeps him solidly in the Day One picture. In fact, he improved on all his physical tests at their Pro Day. His weight was at 204, a couple of pounds heavier then his Combine weight, which was already better than expected. Calhoun attributed his slow times at the Combine to a sore Achilles? tendon and felt he had alleviated scouts concerns after his Pro Day. However, it is noteworthy that he never mentioned the injury in his Combine press conference. He commented about being eager to run and expecting a low 4.4 /high 4.3 time. He ran on AstroTurf at Wisconsin.

Day Two
Questions or weaknesses slightly overshadow the strengths enough that these guys could miss being the early picks they have the skills to be. Upside is limited by one or more of measurables, accomplishments, durability, or character.
Leon Washington (Florida State - 4SR) 5?8? 210 4.50 - Career stats
Talented, but undersized, all-purpose back in a year with an abundance of them hurts his value. A poor regular season hurt him more. However, since the season ended, he has done nothing but impress, from the Senior Bowl to the Combine. He tested out well in all the drills and the physical tests involving running or agility and always ran out the whole drill, regardless of the result. I also believe he did nothing but help himself in interviews. He presents himself well and projects a very positive and motivated image of himself. He stuck with his Combine numbers at FSU?s Pro Day and had added four pounds at the weigh in. I think he has done enough to overcome his disappointing performance in his final season, but also think he is definitely only being viewed as a third down back and special teams player. This will make it a stretch for a team to reach for him on Day One.

Andre Hall (South Florida - 4SR) 5?9? 205 4.52 - Career stats
A true sleeper, he continues to be overlooked by the media, but after his 40 time, scouts took notice. He stood by his 40 and most of his physical tests from the Combine, doing mostly just the drills at USF?s Pro Day. If he came from a top program and was two inches taller, I?d say he?d be a strong Day One candidate, but I still think he slips to the fourth round where he?ll be a steal for someone like the Broncos. He?s neck-and-neck with Leon Washington at the top of the Day Two tier, with a slight advantage to Washington for his versatility, but Hall has the better running game.

Wali Lundy (Virginia - 4SR) 5?10? 214 4.61 - Career stats
After disappearing from the Shrine Game, I viewed Lundy as more likely to go undrafted than have his name called. However, he bounced back from his freefall in a huge way at the Combine, posting some great numbers in the physical tests, led by a shocking 40 time and strong vertical. Not surprisingly, he stood on all his Combine numbers at Virginia?s Pro Day, just doing positional drills. I still think there are some serious questions about his ball security, durability, and motivation that will scare teams off, but his multi-purpose skills and tremendous nose for the end zone, combined with his impressive testing, should mean someone drafts him.

Borderline Day Two
This group has the upside that indicates they should be drafted, but they have concerns in one or more areas regarding measurables, durability, or character, as well as face getting caught in a numbers game ? only so many RBs get drafted. Mike Bell (Arizona - 5SR) 6?0? 215 4.56 - Career stats
As expected, he demonstrated lack of both elite quickness and breakaway speed in the running tests. He was a bit slower at Arizona?s Pro Day, but improved on a couple of physical tests, including 21 reps on the bench. He does bring ideal size for a feature back and helped himself with solid performance in the drills. I think his effort and intangibles will find him drafted, but he doesn?t have the upside to hold a workhorse job for long if he ever gets the chance.

Wendell Mathis (Fresno State - 5SR) 6?0? 211 4.58 - Career stats
An all-star game snub, Mathis forced his way in the picture with an excellent Combine. He demonstrated better quickness and speed than expected in the Combine, with very good results in all the running tests. He hasn?t gotten much recognition, but most teams were present at FSU?s Pro Day, where he stood on his 40 time, but was successful again in the other tests, improving most of his Combine results, and looked good in drills. He looks like a late riser.

Quinton Ganther (Utah - 4SR) 5?10? 216 4.57 - Career stats
Previously overlooked, Ganther got noticed at the Combine with a very good 40 and an extremely impressive bench (29 reps), as well as solid performance in other tests. Although shorter than desired, he is an impressive physical specimen and his strength was expected to test well, but his speed was a surprise. His lack of recognition and sparse resume makes him hard to gauge, but his name will be in circulation in the late rounds.

Gerald Riggs Jr. (Tennessee - 4SR) 6?0? 218 4.55 - Career stats
He was unable to do any activities at the Combine as he still recovers from his severe right ankle injury, which required surgery he had on Halloween for a fracture and torn ligament to the ankle. The fact he was not ready for the Combine was alarming, but he alleviated no concerns in his press conference there when he offered the conflicting reports that he was still 3-4 weeks away from being able to run on it, but would do everything at Tennessee?s March 15th Pro Day. Not only did the math not work for him to even be ready on the Pro Day, but it gives him no time to train for it. So the only thing he could do at the Combine was get measured and weighed. Even that didn?t go well. He came in shorter than advertised and well over his playing weight, he didn?t appear in good shape. However, he redeemed himself a bit in that he was, in fact, ready for their Pro Day. He was five pounds lighter and performed in all tests and drills. While not overly impressive, he put up decent numbers in the tests, claiming to be ?probably around 85 percent?. His 36.5-inch vertical was impressive, while his 9?7? long jump, 4.25 short shuttle and 7.15 three-cone were middle of the pack. His 17 reps on the bench were disappointing, especially for a player who should have been able to work on his upper body strength while impeded by a leg injury. While his Pro Day salvaged his draft value, in particular I was surprised he ran under 4.6, he still is no lock to be drafted.

Cedric Humes (VaTech - 5SR) 6?1? 231 4.52 - Career stats
Failed to build on the momentum he had from the Gator Bowl through the Senior Bowl. For a player who looks like an ideal physical specimen to play RB, his physicals tests at the Combine left a big gap between perception and reality. It wasn?t just his speed, which was one of the worst among RBs, he disappointed in several of the tests. However, he was three pounds lighter at Tech?s Pro Day and improved on most of numbers. With his size, that may have been enough to keep interest in him in Day Two. Still, after a brief climb, he is back to where he was when he ended the regular season: a guy who passes the eyeball test, but has too many questions about his actual skills and ability to successfully run at the next level.

De?Arrius Howard (Arkansas - 5SR) 6?0? 228 4.54 - Career stats
A Combine snub after a great Shrine Game, Howard is kept his name in circulation with an outstanding Pro Day. His speed reports were 4.55 or less, with the best a sub-4.5, as well as a solid vertical, decent quickness, and 20 reps on the bench. With disappointing testing by some of the big backs in this class, his solid display of quickness and speed makes a Day Two pick very likely.

Chris Barclay (Wake Forest - 4SR) 5?10? 180 4.50 - Career stats
One of the biggest snubs for the Combine, Barclay measured a little smaller than expected, but blew them away with his physical tests at Wake Forest?s Pro Day. In addition to blazing 40?s, he had a 40-inch vertical, a 10-foot long jump, 4.09 short shuttle, 6.65 three-cone drill, and 16 reps ? all great numbers, including the reps relative to his size. With his upside as a kick returner, he offers enough value as a change of pace back to get serious consideration and be the rare back to get drafted without a Combine appearance.

Quadtrine Hill (Miami) 6?2? 228 4.61 - Career stats
With no invite to the Combine, Hill benefited by association with every NFL team represented at Miami?s Pro Day. He capitalized on the opportunity demonstrating excellent receiving skills and hitting a solid 40 time for a FB. He also benched 16 reps and had an impressive 38-inch vertical. Overall, he showed some outstanding athleticism and is an appealing option as a tweener late Day Two.

Damien Rhodes (Syracuse - 4SR) 6?0? 211 4.55 - Career stats
After finally getting his shot as a feature back in 2005, Rhodes was unable to translate the potential he had shown as a back-up into consistent success. Always an impressive physical specimen, he missed out on one opportunity to regain draft value with Combine snub. However, he wowed them at Syracuse?s Pro Day, running at least one sub-4.5 time (some reports as low as 4.42), benching 225 21 times, a vertical of 37 ? inches, and showing good quickness. After disappointing testing by some of the other big backs in this draft, Rhodes instantly became one of the best size/speed packages in this draft. With his special teams ability, beyond just as a kick returner, he adds immediate value and should be a Day Two pick.

Taurean Henderson (Texas Tech - 5SR) 5?9? 205 4.55 - Career stats
If I recall, Mewelde Moore ran a disappointing 40 (4.60 maybe) and still was a fourth round pick. Although Henderson didn?t test well, he once again showcased his receiving ability and has a solid body of work on film of his tremendous productivity. However, he ran his 40?s again at the Tech?s Pro Day and his best reported result was barely breaking 4.70, not good. Despite lacking quickness and pure speed, he has elusiveness and value in the passing game that still give him a chance to be drafted as third-down back.

End Game
Names likely left to be considered late Day Two as fliers, but most likely to be a priority undrafted free agent (UDFA).

DonTrell Moore (New Mexico - 5SR) 5?10? 212 4.53 - Career stats
One of the feel-good injury-comeback stories for the former top senior prospect will not have a happy ending on draft day. Measurements and tests showed he lacks the size for the workhorse back he was in college and lacks the speed or quickness to project well in any offensive back role at the next level. He is still barely a year removed from major knee surgery, so that could still be a contributing factor, but after a strong 2005 season, the expectation was he was back in shape. If he isn?t drafted, I believe he?ll be the first of the seven players in D-IA history to run for 1,000 yards in four consecutive seasons to not be.

Albert ?A.J.? Harris (Northern Illinois - 4SR) 6?1? 220 4.42 - Career stats
Displayed impressive speed at NIU?s Pro Day (he was not invited to the Combine) and came in bigger than expected. Overall, his physical test results reported by NFL.com were outstanding: 22 bench reps would have been third-best at the Combine among RBs, 4.18 short shuttle would have been second, 38.5 inch vertical would have tied for best, and 6.65 cone drill would have been the best. As a career back-up, he is still probably an UDFA, but he is a very impressive physical specimen who will get a chance to make a roster this fall on special teams.

Jerod Void (Purdue - 5SR) 6?1? 216 4.54 - Career stats
A Combine snub, he performed at Purdue?s Pro Day and while some of his physical tests were good, his 40 times and bench (14 reps) were disappointing. Void does offer an appealing all-around package, he is an excellent receiver groomed in pro spread offense and outstanding special teams player (which many guys who are used to being nothing but a feature back in college are not), so I think he will get a shot at least as an UDFA.

Cornell Brockington (UConn) 5?11? 203 4.55 - Career Stats
After a breakout 2004 as a 1st Team Big East RB, he was pushed out of the picture by the return of 2003 Freshman All-American Terry Caulley from a serious knee injury and emergence of Lou Allen. Brockington finished third on the team in carries and rushing yards. As opposed to returning as a reserve or transferring down, he declared with his draft value at rock bottom. With no all-star or Combine exposure, he attended Villanova?s Pro Day on March 17th and turned in very disappointing test results. However, less than a week later back in Storrs for UConn?s Pro Day, he was a new man. He improved all his numbers, particularly his 40 time, in front of scouts from the Jets, Patriots, Dolphins, 49ers, Bears, Colts, Jaguars, Browns, Giants, Eagles and Panthers. He ran at least one sub-4.6 time (after running closer to 4.7 the week before), and reportedly may have been under 4.55. He also looked good in drills. It doesn?t seem enough to get him drafted, but he should be a priority UDFA for a team who takes a good look at what he did in 04 on film.

Prince ?P.J.? Daniels Jr. (Georgia Tech - 5SR) 5?10? 211 4.56 - Career stats
I still believe Daniels is a good character guy with solid skills on the field, but all the hard work and effort in the world won?t change his sub-par physical test results. Other than 21 reps on the bench, his numbers were disappointing. He did not show improvement at Tech?s Pro Day, with his vertical the only notable number he significantly improved. He has gone from a guy who could get a look despite less than desirable measurables, to a guy who is unlikely to have his other assets overshadow his poor measurables.

William Leroy ?P.J.? Pope Jr. (Bowling Green - 4SR) 5?9? 216 4.55 - Career stats
After two tremendously productive seasons, an injury-plagued 2005 left him forgotten and a Combine snub. However, he tested very well at BGSU?s Pro Day, including much better than expected speed (although he ran on AstroTurf). He is still a dark horse to be drafted, but is at least back on the radar.

Demetris Summers (3JR - formerly South Carolina) 6?0? 210 4.55 - Career stats

Since being dismissed for a second failed drug test (reportedly, and admittedly by Summers, for marijuana) by new HC Steve Spurrier a year ago, Summers appears to have taken a 180 degree turn and salvaged a chance to play on Sundays. He was not invited to the Combine, but according to his adviser, he was scheduled to meet with 15 teams in March. However, just three teams (Carolina, Oakland, and Miami) showed up on March 15th to see Summers and a few other fringe prospects work out at Plex Indoor Sports in Northeast Richland, SC. He reportedly failed to break the 4.6 mark on his two 40?s and his quickness wasn?t spectacular, but his size, build, 20 reps, and 39 ? inch vertical were impressive. For almost the last year, he has been working out with trainer Emery Williams, who helped Derek Watson make the Buccaneers roster last year. It sounds like Summers is very healthy physically, mentally, and emotionally. He recently added an agent and, if nothing else, he has much better PR people then Maurice Clarett. He is still a dark horse to be drafted at all, with no chance to go as high as Clarett. However, he seems certain to at least get a shot as an UDFA.
Derrick Ross (Tarleton State - 4SR) 5?10? 238 4.65 - Career stats
This surprising Combine invite did not disappointing. He showed up slimmer than expected, and provided some impressive numbers in physical test, particularly his 40 speed, although his quickness showed to be unspectacular. Still a dark horse to be drafted, his solid Combine performance keeps him on the radar and makes it likely he?ll get a shot as an UDFA.

Best of the Rest
An assortment of prospects with one or more intriguing facets or familiar names, but they victims of a numbers crunch and/or the negatives currently outweigh the positives enough that right now that they will be undrafted free agents, at best, and the rest will be in another line of work this fall.
Terrence Whitehead (Oregon - 4SR) 5?10? 220 4.60 - Career stats
A thoroughly disappointing Combine, where he posted some of the worst numbers, across the board, in physical testing by a RB. He did improve his 40 time a bit on AstroTurf at Oregon?s Pro Day, but the other tests he retook yielded similar results. Overlooked in a PAC-10 stacked with great backs, he was lost in the shuffle at the Senior Bowl, as well, so he had everything riding on the Combine and his Pro Day to give scouts a reason to take notice, and he couldn?t do it. He came in smaller than advertised, as well, so he doesn?t even make a very good candidate for FB.

Chris Taylor (Indiana - 4SR) 5?11? 216 4.46 - Career stats
For a player whose speed was expected to be one of the few commodities he had to offer, Taylor was unable to post an exceptional time on AstroTurf at Indiana?s Pro Day. Although he has very good size, he was unable to increase his exposure enough between barnstorming lower-tier all-star games and his Pro Day.

Antonio Warren (Arkansas State - 5SR) 5?10? 201 4.64 - Career stats
Shermar Bracey (Arkansas State - 4SR) 6?1? 227 4.56 - Career stats

This productive Indian duo were both mild Combine snubs. Warren, who was a Sun Belt 1st Team All-Conference RB, put up back-to-back 1,000 yard season. Bracey, his back-up, was just as productive when Warren was dinged and actually has superior measurables for the next level. I could not find Pro Day results for either (ASU?s was scheduled for March 13th), but would not be surprised to find either drafted in the seventh round. At worst, I expect both to get a shot as an UDFA.
Ryan Gilbert (Houston - 5SR) 5?10? 230 4.60 - Career stats
The LSU transfer had a breakout season in Conference USA in 2005, but was not fully recovered from knee surgery for the Combine, where he was medically excused from participating, or by Houston?s Pro Day on March 27th. His weight was down to 228 at the Pro Day. As his speed and quickness were major concerns before the knee injury, his inability to work out prior to the draft should leave him as an UDFA.

Cory Ross (Nebraska - 5SR) 5?6? 198 4.52 - Career stats
The smallest and lightest (tied) player at the Combine had an unspectacular performance in physical tests. He did not show the elite quickness and speed a player of his stature needs to have a shot at the next level. He could not help himself at Nebraska?s Pro Day, running a slower 40 than his best Combine time, on which he pulled a hamstring and was unable to run any more.

Kejuan Jones (Oklahoma - 5SR) 5?9? 190 4.55 - Career stats
After being the featured back in 2003, he took a back seat to the Adrian Peterson Experience. Demonstrated being a tremendous team player in not complaining about being passed over. Accepted his role and produced in it. As Peterson struggled with injuries in his sophomore campaign, his value was shown again in 2005. However, he came in smaller than expected at Oklahoma?s Pro Day and had unspectacular test numbers. Due to his limited physical attributes and lack of adding value as a receiver, he is looking at trying to make it as a UDFA at best, despite his toughness and excellent success as a short-yardage runner. Former teammate Donta Hickson, a part-time RB, tested slightly better.

Patrick Cobbs (North Texas - 5SR) 5?8? 190 4.60 - Career stats
With wind a factor at his Pro Day, a 4.71 was the best time he turned in, although his other tests were decent. At his size, if that number is considered sufficiently representative of his speed, the former NCAA rushing champion is not going to get a shot.

Antoine Bagwell (California University of Pennsylvania) 5?11? 185 4.54 - Career stats
Widely regarded as the top DII RB during the season, two fellow small school RB prospects have gotten more notice in the post-season. Martin Hicks outshined him in the Cactus Bowl and Derrick Ross got some notice at the Combine (neither Bagwell nor Hicks were invited). He reportedly ran well at Duquesne?s Pro Day on March 18th, but I have been unable to confirm any results. It is rare for any DII player to get drafted, so the former Nebraska recruit?s chances likely have gone from slim to none. Height and weight are estimated because I couldn?t find information of him attending any Pro Day.

Tyler Ebell (UTEP) 5?8? 190 4.48 - Career stats
He may still be impeded by a late 2005 injury, but disappointing physical testing at his Pro Day, particularly his lack of speed, and his extremely slight stature eliminate his chances of being drafted.

Seymore Shaw (Central Oklahoma - 5SR) 5?11? 220 4.59 - Career Stats
After legal and behavioral problems ended his career at Oklahoma State about a year ago, he returned to Stillwater for the first time on March 7th to participate in their Pro Day. After an unimpressive season at DII, he did nothing to stir any interest with a string of disappointing physical tests. He is unlikely to even get a shot as an UDFA.

Martin Hicks (Winston-Salem State) 5?9? 180 4.55 - Career stats

Took advantage of his first opportunity to be noticed by NFL scouts in the Cactus Bowl, but was never going to be drafted anyway. Performed well in tests at a Pro Day, but came in lacking severely in size and upper body strength.

J.R. Lemon (Stanford - 5SR) 6?1? 225 4.55 - Career stats
Despite an impressive 36-inch vertical and 24 reps of 225 among the solid workout numbers he posted at Stanford?s Pro Day, his downward spiral continued with two 40 times near 4.7. Despite his size and potential, he seems a longshot to make it as even a UDFA.

arobtthc

EOG Enthusiast
agree with a lot of your points mofome. especially edge staying top notch if/when they get warner out of there

Hache Man

Well, no doubt with Miami's Ricky Williams' suspension, that Ronnie Brown's value skyrocketed.

He should now go before guys like Willis McGahee, Cadillac Williams, Clinton Portis, Deuce McAllister, to name a few.....

roach23

Banned
Hache Man said:
2 Oakland Raiders Teammates to consider & keep an eye on, who in my opinion will rebound with big numbers this year:

QB Aaron Brooks (Former Saints QB)
WR Randy Moss

I believe these two are going to hook up BIG time this year.
Each of them will depend on the other the complete season.
This combination could even mimic the days of Culpepper to Moss.

As long as Aaron & his WR Corps stay healthy, Brooks should put up large passing statistics while throwing to Moss, Joey Porter, and RB Lamont Jordan, who the coaching staff like throwing to out of the backfield while having 70 receptions last year.

People were saying this about Collins/Moss last year.

I'm not sold on either. Randy is awesome. But he's always hurt (at least for the past 2 seaons).

Brooks is the most inconsistant fantay player ever...putting up major points one week..only to put up single digit poitns the week after. I plan on staying away from both.

with regards to the #1 overall pick...i'd be happy with any of those 3 guys. I'd like to draft fromt he 3 slot that way i get a better 2nd round pick.

The way i see it...it'll end up:
1)SA
2)LJ
3)LT

The only reason i put LT 3rd is because of the rookie QB and sharing teh ball with the good WRs on his team. SA is the clear #1 with the shitty conference he dominates for 6 games of the season.

mofome

Banned
Hache Man said:
Well, no doubt with Miami's Ricky Williams' suspension, that Ronnie Brown's value skyrocketed.

He should now go before guys like Willis McGahee, Cadillac Williams, Clinton Portis, Deuce McAllister, to name a few.....

Ronnie Brown over Portis would be a mistake

Hache Man

mofome said:
Ronnie Brown over Portis would be a mistake

I'm gonaa have to "slightly" disagree mofo.....

It will be close, but I have to give the edge now to Brown now that he won't be sharing time with Ricky Williams.

Almost 1,000 yards for the rookie Brown to go along with 32 receptions despite Ricky getting much of the playing time through many games when he was hot....

mofome

Banned
the washington offense just became more open with the addition of Al saunders. Portis will be used as a receiver more and hsi running schemes are proven. he as good an OC as there is in the league and portis should be a top 6 back IMO. Brown has a worse Oline and a worse OC calling the plays. i would certainly take Portis ahead of brown. JMO

:cheers

Hache Man

Well, the Saints adding Reggie Bush, now gives us another one of those teams who fantansy players fear when it comes to the RB position because of the shared load. No doubt Reggie Bush will take plenty of carries away from Deuce McAllister.........

Hache Man

Modified: May. 5, 2006
FFL: Player Rankings

<!-- end pagetitle --><!-- begin bylinebox -->
<!-- firstName = Scott --><!-- lastName = Engel -->
By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->Here are my early player rankings for the 2006 season. Rankings were updated on May 2.

<TABLE class=text11 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Quarterbacks
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Donovan McNabb
4. Daunte Culpepper
5. Matt Hasselbeck
6. Carson Palmer
7. Drew Brees
8. Drew Bledsoe
9. Marc Bulger
10. Ben Roethlisberger
11. Trent Green
12. Jake Delhomme
13. Eli Manning
14. Brett Favre
15. Aaron Brooks
16. Jake Plummer
17. Byron Leftwich
18. Michael Vick
19. Kurt Warner
20. Mark Brunell
21. Jon Kitna
22. Brad Johnson
23. Steve McNair
24. Chris Simms
25. Charlie Frye
26. Philip Rivers
27. David Carr
28. Josh McCown
29. Rex Grossman
30. Kyle Boller
31. Kelly Holcomb
32. Patrick Ramsey
33. Billy Volek
34. Brian Griese
35. Matt Leinart
36. Chad Pennington
37. Alex Smith
38. Joey Harrington
39. J.P. Losman
40. Trent Dilfer

Tight Ends
1. Antonio Gates
2. Tony Gonzalez
3. Jeremy Shockey
4. Todd Heap
5. Jason Witten
6. Alge Crumpler
7. Randy McMichael
8. Heath Miller
9. Vernon Davis
10. Chris Cooley
11. L.J. Smith
12. Jerramy Stevens
13. Ben Watson
14. Dallas Clark
15. Ben Troupe
16. Marcedes Lewis
17. Jeb Putzier
18. Jermaine Wiggins
19. Kellen Winslow
20. Alex Smith
21. Zachary Hilton
22. Leonard Pope
23. Marcus Pollard
24. Joe Klopfenstein
25. Bubba Franks
26. Erron Kinney
27. Courtney Anderson
28. Tony Scheffler
29. Bryan Fletcher
30. Chris Baker

</TD><TD vAlign=top>Running Backs
1. Larry Johnson
2. Shaun Alexander
3. LaDainian Tomlinson
4. Tiki Barber
5. Edgerrin James
6. Clinton Portis
7. LaMont Jordan
8. Rudi Johnson
9. Steven Jackson
10. Domanick Davis
11. Carnell Williams
12. Willis McGahee
13. Ronnie Brown
14. Reggie Bush
15. Brian Westbrook
16. Thomas Jones
17. Corey Dillon
18. Reuben Droughns
19. Kevin Jones
20. Julius Jones
21. Tatum Bell
22. DeAngelo Williams
23. Ahman Green
24. Jamal Lewis
25. Chester Taylor
26. Joseph Addai
27. Warrick Dunn
28. Willie Parker
29. Chris Brown
30. Fred Taylor
31. T.J. Duckett
32. Curtis Martin
33. Samkon Gado
34. Deuce McAllister
35. Dominic Rhodes
36. Mike Anderson
37. Frank Gore
38. Laurence Maroney
39. DeShaun Foster
40. Kevan Barlow
41. Ron Dayne
42. Cedric Benson
43. LenDale White
44. Priest Holmes
45. Marion Barber
46. Mewelde Moore
47. Chris Perry
48. Brandon Jacobs
49. Ciatrick Fason
50. Greg Jones
51. Cedric Houston
52. Duce Staley
53. Ryan Moats
54. Brian Calhoun
55. Travis Henry
56. Michael Pittman
57. Marshall Faulk
58. Nick Goings
59. Verron Haynes
60. Mike Alstott
61. Michael Turner
62. Stephen Davis
63. Alvin Pearman
64. Derrick Blaylock
65. J.J. Arrington
66. LaBrandon Toefield
67. Leon Washington
68. Sammy Morris
69. Maurice Morris
70. Kevin Faulk
71. Ladell Betts
72. Quentin Griffin
73. Najeh Davenport
74. Jonathan Wells
75. Michael Bennett
<TD vAlign=top>Wide Receivers
1. Steve Smith
2. Chad Johnson
3. Torry Holt
4. Terrell Owens
5. Larry Fitzgerald
6. Randy Moss
7. Anquan Boldin
8. Marvin Harrison
9. Hines Ward
10. Santana Moss
11. Chris Chambers
12. Joey Galloway
13. Reggie Wayne
14. T.J. Houshmandzadeh
15. Plaxico Burress
16. Rod Smith
17. Roy Williams
18. Darrell Jackson
19. Javon Walker
20. Andre Johnson
21. Joe Horn
22. Donald Driver
23. Lee Evans
24. Keenan McCardell
25. Koren Robinson
26. David Givens
27. Nate Burleson
28. Brandon Lloyd
29. Jimmy Smith
30. Donte' Stallworth
31. Eddie Kennison
32. Joe Jurevicius
33. Braylon Edwards
34. Amani Toomer
35. Drew Bennett
36. Terry Glenn
37. Keyshawn Johnson
38. Muhsin Muhammad
39. Derrick Mason
40. Ernest Wilford
41. Jerry Porter
42. Kevin Curtis
43. Deion Branch
44. Eric Moulds
45. Roscoe Parrish
46. Matt Jones
47. Antonio Bryant
48. Antwaan Randle El
49. Laveranues Coles
50. Isaac Bruce
51. Chris Henry
52. Reggie Brown
53. Michael Clayton
54. Samie Parker
55. Santonio Holmes
56. Marty Booker
57. Mark Clayton
58. Mike Williams
59. Marcus Robinson
60. Ashley Lelie
61. Roddy White
62. Bobby Engram
63. Cedrick Wilson
64. Troy Williamson
65. Chad Jackson
66. Robert Ferguson
67. Michael Jenkins
68. Troy Brown
69. Mark Bradley
70. Charles Rogers
71. Sinorice Moss
72. Travis Taylor
73. Devery Henderson
74. Brandon Jones
75. Andre' Davis
76. Maurice Stovall
77. Eric Parker
78. Reggie Williams
79. Doug Gabriel
80. Reche Caldwell
81. Roydell Williams
82. Greg Jennings
83. Jabar Gaffney
84. Brian Finneran
85. Josh Reed
86. Dennis Northcutt
87. Courtney Roby
88. Derek Hagan
89. Justin McCareins
90. Todd Pinkston
91. Tyrone Calico
92. Keary Colbert
93. Arnaz Battle
94. Travis Wilson
95. Brandon Stokley
96. Jason Avant
97. Demetrius Williams
98. Scottie Vines
99. Greg Lewis
100. Bernard Berrian

</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Kickers 1. Neil Rackers
2. Jeff Wilkins
3. Jason Elam
4. Adam Vinatieri
5. Shayne Graham
6. John Kasay
7. Mike Vanderjagt
8. Jay Feely
9. Jeff Reed
10. Josh Brown
11. Lawrence Tynes
12. David Akers
13. Matt Stover
14. Olindo Mare
15. Ryan Longwell
16. Sebastian Janikowski
17. Nate Kaeding
18. Josh Scobee
19. Robbie Gould
20. Rob Bironas
21. Rian Lindell
22. Todd Peterson
23. Martin Gramatica
24. Phil Dawson
25. Joe Nedney
26. Stephen Gostkowski
27. Matt Bryant
28. John Carney
29. Jason Hanson
30. John Hall
31. Kris Brown
32. Mike Nugent
33. Billy Cundiff

</TD><TD vAlign=top>Defense/Special Teams
1. Chicago
2. Pittsburgh
3. Indianapolis
4. Seattle
5. Carolina
6. New York Giants
7. Jacksonville
8. Tampa Bay
9. Baltimore
10. Cincinnati
11. Miami
12. Philadelphia
13. Denver
14. Atlanta
15. Washington
16. Minnesota
17. Cleveland
18. Dallas
19. Detroit
20. Kansas City
21. Buffalo
22. San Diego
23. New England
24. Green Bay
25. New York Jets
26. Houston
27. Arizona
28. New Orleans
29. Oakland
30. San Francisco
31. Tennessee
32. St. Louis

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hache Man

FFL: Updated Top 200

By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->Here is our revised list of the Top 200 for 2006, updated on May 3. . <!--##FRONTSTOP##-->
1. Larry Johnson
2. Shaun Alexander
3. LaDainian Tomlinson
4. Tiki Barber
5. Edgerrin James
6. Clinton Portis
7. Peyton Manning
8. LaMont Jordan
9. Rudi Johnson
10. Steve Smith
11. Chad Johnson
12. Torry Holt
13. Terrell Owens
14. Steven Jackson
15. Larry Fitzgerald
16. Randy Moss
17. Domanick Davis
18. Carnell Williams
19. Willis McGahee
20. Ronnie Brown
21. Reggie Bush
22. Anquan Boldin
23. Marvin Harrison
24. Hines Ward
25. Antonio Gates
26. Brian Westbrook
27. Tom Brady
28. Santana Moss
29. Donovan McNabb
30. Chris Chambers
31. Thomas Jones
32. Corey Dillon
33. Daunte Culpepper
34. Reuben Droughns
35. Kevin Jones
36. Julius Jones
37. Joey Galloway
38. Reggie Wayne
39. Tatum Bell
40. DeAngelo Williams
41. Ahman Green
42. Jamal Lewis
43. Chester Taylor
44. Joseph Addai
45. Matt Hasselbeck
46. Carson Palmer
47. T.J. Houshmandzadeh
48. Warrick Dunn
49. Willie Parker
50. Tony Gonzalez
51. Plaxico Burress
52. Rod Smith
53. Roy Williams
54. Darrell Jackson
55. Javon Walker
56. Jeremy Shockey
57. Andre Johnson
58. Chris Brown
59. Fred Taylor
60. Joe Horn
61. Todd Heap
62. T.J. Duckett
63. Curtis Martin
64. Drew Brees
65. Donald Driver
66. Jason Witten
67. Samkon Gado
68. Alge Crumpler
69. Lee Evans
70. Deuce McAllister
71. Dominic Rhodes
72. Randy McMichael
73. Mike Anderson
74. Frank Gore
75. Drew Bledsoe
76. Keenan McCardell
77. Marc Bulger
78. Ben Roethlisberger
79. Trent Green
80. Heath Miller
81. Vernon Davis
82. Jake Delhomme
83. Laurence Maroney
84. DeShaun Foster
85. Eli Manning
86. Brett Favre
87. Koren Robinson
88. Kevan Barlow
89. David Givens
90. Chris Cooley
91. Ron Dayne
92. Nate Burleson
93. Brandon Lloyd
94. Jimmy Smith
95. Donte' Stallworth
96. Aaron Brooks
97. Cedric Benson
98. LenDale White
99. Jake Plummer
100. Byron Leftwich
101. Eddie Kennison
102. L.J. Smith
103. Michael Vick
104. Priest Holmes
105. Kurt Warner
106. Jerramy Stevens
107. Joe Jurevicius
108. Braylon Edwards
109. Marion Barber
110. Mewelde Moore
111. Amani Toomer
112. Drew Bennett
113. Terry Glenn
114. Mark Brunell
115. Chicago Defense/Special teams
116. Chris Perry
117. Jon Kitna
118. Keyshawn Johnson
119. Muhsin Muhammad
120. Derrick Mason
121. Piitsburgh D/ST
122. Brandon Jacobs
123. Ciatrick Fason
124. Greg Jones
125. Ernest Wilford
126. Jerry Porter
127. Brad Johnson
128. Indianapolis D/ST
129. Seattle D/ST
130. Cedric Houston
131. Duce Staley
132. Neil Rackers
133. Carolina D/ST
134. Kevin Curtis
135. Deion Branch
136. Ryan Moats
137. Brian Calhoun
138. Steve McNair
139. Eric Moulds
140. Roscoe Parrish
141. Chris Simms
142. Jeff Wilkins
143. Jason Elam
144. New York Giants D/ST
145. Matt Jones
146. Antonio Bryant
147. Shayne Graham
148. Travis Henry
149. Jacksonville D/ST
150. Antwaan Randle El
151. Charlie Frye
152. Tampa Bay D/ST
153. John Kasay
154. Mike Vanderjagt
155. Baltimore D/ST
156. Laveranues Coles
157. Isaac Bruce
158. Michael Pittman
159. Ben Watson
160. Dallas Clark
161. Jay Feely
162. Jeff Reed
163. Ben Troupe
164. Cincinnati D/ST
165. Josh Brown
166. Lawrence Tynes
167. Chris Henry
168. Marshall Faulk
169. Miami D/ST
170. Philadelphia D/ST
171. Marcedes Lewis
172. David Akers
173. Denver D/ST
174. Reggie Brown
175. Michael Clayton
176. Samie Parker
177. Atlanta D/ST
178. Matt Stover
179. Philip Rivers
180. David Carr
181. Jeb Putzier
182. Olindo Mare
183. Washington D/ST
184. Santonio Holmes
185. Ryan Longwell
186. Jermaine Wiggins
187. Minnesota D/ST
188. Kellen Winslow
189. Marty Booker
190. Mark Clayton
191. Sebastian Janikowski
192. Cleveland D/ST
193. Mike Williams
194. Nick Goings
195. Nate Kaeding
196. Josh McCown
197. Marcus Robinson
198. Alex Smith (TE)
199. Zachary Hilton
200. Rex Grossman

Hache Man

FFL: Offseason Central

By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><DIV class=text11 style="BACKGROUND: #fff"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->We'll keep you fully updated at FFL Offseason Central on how the latest key player moves and news will affect your fantasy outlook for the 2006 season. Check back here regularly for timely fantasy spins by position. Moves and news are listed by order of importance and fantasy impact. The latest updates were added on May 4. <!--##FRONTSTOP##-->
LATEST UPDATE OF NOTE: Javon Walker trade analyzed in wide receivers section.
QUARTERBACKS
Raiders sign Aaron Brooks: Having a healthy Randy Moss will help any QB, but Brooks' decision-making skills remain questionable. He often had quality targets in New Orleans and was still statistically erratic. Brooks has long been one of the most overrated and inconsistent QBs in fantasy football. Don't look to him as a possible regular starter who you can grab when the top QBs are off the board. Having a "toy" like Moss might not be a good thing for Brooks, who could try to force the ball to him too often. Brooks should be drafted as a top fantasy reserve because of his receiving weaponry. There's little to suggest that Brooks, as a Raider, will avoid the ill-timed throws he made as a Saint. Don't draft Brooks until at least the eighth round of 10 and 12-team leagues if you are going to consider him.
Lions sign Jon Kitna and Josh McCown: What does it say about Joey Harrington when he gets driven out of town by a journeyman and a former Cardinals backup who once fell behind Shaun King in the pecking order? Kitna has posted above-average fantasy numbers in the past and can be quite productive when he gets on a roll. His confidence and knowledge of the game help him overcome limited skills. McCown has more pure natural talent, but doesn't manage a game as well as Kitna. Both quarterbacks are up-and-down types who can deliver big statistical outings on occasion. Watch for a heated training camp battle, with Kitna emerging as the starter. If Roy Williams can play most of the schedule, Kitna should be a quality starting option when the matchups are right. McCown still has much to learn, and he actually could benefit in the long run by studying with Kitna and absorbing his intangibles. Kitna is a decent pick in rounds 11 or 12, while McCown should be tabbed in the final rounds.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width=170 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD width=8><SPACER height="1" type="block" width="8"></TD><TD width=162 bgColor=#ecece4>[FONT=Arial,Helvetica, sans-serif]MARQUEE MOVES
Full fantasy spins on major news items.
? Terrell Owens
? Culpepper/Brees
? Edgerrin James
? Alexander/Ahman Green
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Jets trade for Patrick Ramsey: He might open the season as New York's starter if Chad Pennington isn't ready. Yet Ramsey, who was a big disappointment in Washington, easily could crumble quickly in the big city spotlight. Ramsey has never been steady or reliable, and it's scary to think how he might fare as a starter with raised expectations again. Fantasy owners should avoid him if they can. It would be surprising to see him succeed, as a change of scenery actually might be a bad thing. Don't gamble on Ramsey until the final rounds.
Buccaneers re-sign Chris Simms: He seems to have the confidence of the Tampa Bay brain trust again. Simms should be a solid fantasy backup in 2006. He's a good pick in round 11 or 12.
Bears sign Brian Griese: He's great veteran insurance for Rex Grossman, who has endured a lot of well-documented hard luck. A healthy Griese could be a solid fantasy addition if he gets another opportunity to start. Griese could emerge as an adequate fantasy starter during the season if he is pressed into service again. Don't draft him initially, though.
Eagles sign Jeff Garcia: If Donovan McNabb gets injured, Garcia won't be an awful fantasy reserve if he steers clear of bad luck himself. He'll be worth a free-agent pickup in case unfortunate circumstances arise again.
Bengals sign Anthony Wright: He could open the season as a starter if Carson Palmer isn't fully recovered from a knee injury, but Wright has always been erratic and unreliable and wouldn't figure to be a fantasy starter in any scenario. Owners of Chad Johnson will simply hope he can get him the ball enough not to hurt his numbers.
RUNNING BACKS
NFL suspends Ricky Williams for the 2006 season: The value of Ronnie Brown immediately jumps, as he should now be considered a prime fantasy draft choice late in the second round or early in the third, once the top 10 or so RBs are off the board. Brown should certainly see an increased workload in 2005 that will lead to him carrying close to 20 times per game quite often. He should also see a healthy boost in TD production as he finishes a lot of drives for an improved Miami offense, especially if Daunte Culpepper can play most of the schedule. Brown should be good for 1,250-plus yards and at least eight rushing TDs while also starting to show off more of his receiving skills. Dolphins coach Nick Saban will likely use another RB as a change-of-pace performer, but Brown will get enough touches to emerge as an outstanding fantasy starter. Williams could return in 2007, and with another year of inactivity and something to prove, he is worth holding onto in dynasty leagues. Williams will be 30 when the '07 season starts, but two seasons of no contact in three years should make his age less of an immediate worry when he returns.
Vikings sign Chester Taylor: The Vikings have made immediate efforts to improve their running game, adding Taylor and prized guard Steve Hutchinson. Taylor displayed nifty quickness and promising potential as a reserve and part-time player for the Ravens in the past. He is no sure thing, but he has very fresh legs and wants to seize an opportunity to play full-time. The Minnesota offense should be more conservative than in the past, and Taylor will get a great chance to prove himself. He should be an adequate No. 2 fantasy RB, as QB Brad Johnson should keep defenses honest against the run. Hutchinson slides in next to tackle Bryant McKinnie to give the Vikes an outstanding left side of the front wall. Another new Viking, fullback Tony Richardson, should also be a fine lead blocker. Taylor could be good for 1,200-plus yards and seven-plus touchdowns if he makes the most of his chance. But he will have to use training camp as his showcase to prove he definitely belongs ahead of Mewelde Moore and Ciatrick Fason on the depth chart. Fason remains a threat to steal goal-line carries. But a strong showing by Taylor in the summer can limit the touches of other Minnesota RBs. Taylor is a good pick in the fifth round of 10 and 12-team leagues.
<!--------------------------START PLAYER CARD------------------><TABLE class=tableheadFixWidth cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=200 align=right><TBODY><TR class=stathead><TD class=whitelink colSpan=2>Mike Anderson</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left> Running Back
Baltimore Ravens

Profile</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD align=middle><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width=190 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR class=stathead align=middle><TD align=middle colSpan=6>2005 SEASON STATISTICS</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #bcbcb4" align=right><TD width="17%">Rush</TD><TD width="17%">Yds</TD><TD width="17%">TD</TD><TD width="17%">Rec</TD><TD width="17%">Yds</TD><TD width="17%">TD</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#999999><TD>239</TD><TD>1014</TD><TD>12</TD><TD>18</TD><TD>212</TD><TD>1</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!---------------------INLINE MINI-PLAYER CARD ENDS HERE--------------------->
Ravens re-sign Jamal Lewis and sign Mike Anderson: With Taylor leaving for Minnesota, Lewis now has a new player to possibly share carries. Anderson could compete for playing time with Lewis, and it remains to be seen if both running backs will hurt the fantasy appeal of the other. The Ravens already have considered using Anderson as a fullback, which indicates Lewis initially should be considered for more touches. But the real truth will become known during the preseason, as the two backs compete for carries. There is already talk of Lewis and Anderson sharing touches, the perceived fantasy nightmare. Both players are power runners with the ability to punch it in from short range. Anderson simply won't post the type of numbers he did as a part-timer in Denver. Fantasy owners have no other choice but to wait and see what happens in training camp. Lewis doesn't instill much confidence in fantasy leaguers that he can regain his old form. Anderson could still be an adequate fantasy starter in larger leagues, but you must downgrade him for leaving Denver. Both players should be drafted only when you have at least two other dependable RBs on your roster.
UPDATE (March 29): Brian Billick has announced that Lewis will be the starter over Anderson. Lewis should be considered in the fourth round of most drafts, while Anderson is good for depth in the seventh round. If Lewis fizzles early, Anderson should still get a chance to play often.
Panthers re-sign DeShaun Foster: Foster will get a clear shot to be Carolina's featured back. But he's simply not durable or dependable, even if he has the occasional big game. Draft him as a third fantasy RB. Don't pick him before the later part of the fourth round.
Broncos re-sign Ron Dayne: There was some initial speculation Dayne could push for serious playing time with Anderson gone. But Denver might draft an RB, and Tatum Bell could be motivated to prove he truly deserves to start. Dayne is worth a late-round pick, but it's difficult to envision him being anything more than a part-timer for the Broncos.
Saints sign Michael Bennett: Bennett is experienced insurance for Deuce McAllister in case he can't make an effective return from a knee injury. But Bennett likely will disappoint if he gets a chance to start. Past injuries have robbed him of some of the explosiveness that used to make him a threat to roll up big yards. And he's never been a consistent gainer as a featured back. He's worth a late pick in leagues of at least 12 teams.
Packers re-sign Najeh Davenport: He missed most of the 2005 season because of ankle problems. The Packers also re-signed Ahman Green and he could share some carries with Samkon Gado. Davenport won't be a factor unless he can stay healthy and unfortunate circumstances open up playing time for him. He won't be worth a draft pick.
Rams sign Tony Fisher: He'll be a third-down RB who won't get any real quality playing time unless injuries become a major issue in St. Louis. He will have no fantasy appeal.
WIDE RECEIVERS
Broncos trade for Javon Walker: Rod Smith isn't getting any younger, but the Broncos should get another very good season out of him, especially with Walker as a complement. Walker is coming off knee surgery, but is expected to be ready to practice in pads when training camp opens. While Walker won't have Brett Favre throwing to him anymore, he will be part of a potent offense and should regain his status as a top fantasy receiver if he can stay healthy. Walker is the proven downfield playmaker that Ashley Lelie never turned out to be, and 1,150-plus receiving yards and at least eight TD receptions are possible after he missed last season. Smith should be good for another 1,000-yard-plus season with at least six TDs. Smith will still make a lot of possession catches that he can turn into big plays with his strength and quickness, and Walker will get deep for a healthy amount of big plays.
Lelie, an annual disappointment, now wants to be traded rather than be a third receiver in Denver. And he won't have any fantasy appeal unless he is dealt. In Green Bay, Donald Driver now becomes the No. 1 receiver, which is a tall task for him. Driver doesn't always get open against top cover corners, especially the physical ones. He could be very inconsistent and might be an up-and-down No. 2 fantasy receiver. Robert Ferguson has never been dependable as a starter for the Packers, and should only be drafted as a fantasy reserve. Rookie Greg Jennings should eventually settle in as a starter and is a good keeper pick because of his potential to be a solid all-around pass-catcher. Fantasy owners shouldn't expect much from Jennings in his first NFl season.

<!--------------------------START PLAYER CARD------------------><TABLE class=tableheadFixWidth cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width=200 align=right><TBODY><TR class=stathead><TD class=whitelink colSpan=2>Brandon Lloyd</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow align=right><TD align=left> Wide Receiver
Washington Redskins

Profile</TD></TR><TR class=evenrow><TD align=middle><TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width=190 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR class=stathead align=middle><TD align=middle colSpan=6>2005 SEASON STATISTICS</TD></TR><TR style="BACKGROUND: #bcbcb4" align=right><TD width="17%">Rec</TD><TD width="17%">Yds</TD><TD width="17%">TD</TD><TD width="17%">Avg</TD><TD width="17%">Long</TD><TD width="17%">YAC</TD></TR><TR align=right bgColor=#999999><TD>48</TD><TD>733</TD><TD>5</TD><TD>15.3</TD><TD>89</TD><TD>163</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!---------------------INLINE MINI-PLAYER CARD ENDS HERE--------------------->
Redskins sign Antwaan Randle El and trade for Brandon Lloyd: Randle El is the bigger name, but Lloyd should make the bigger impact. While Randle El should give Washington another downfield threat, he's not consistent as a pass-catcher. He'll become an integral part of the passing game, but won't make enough catches to satisfy fantasy owners in most weeks. Lloyd is the true complement needed for Santana Moss. He has great natural receiving skills and the smarts and willingness to make important grabs on key downs. He can also make picturesque catches and can get past defenders for some big gainers. Lloyd could be a very good value pick and could emerge as a quality No. 2 fantasy receiver. Don't go for the big name here. Randle El is a great all-around addition for Washington, and should further raise the play of the special teams unit. But he doesn't offer much as a fantasy receiver. The two additions should ensure that Moss will continue to make big plays, and will preserve his draft value as a top-level fantasy receiver for 2006. With Washington's improved depth at receiver, Moss should enjoy seeing less defensive attention. Lloyd is a fine choice in the seventh round, while Randle El shouldn't be picked until the final rounds.
Panthers sign Keyshawn Johnson: This is great news for those who will draft or keep Steve Smith. He finally has a proven partner, a perfect big target who can make the important possession catches. Opponents won't be able to follow the blueprint Seattle provided to stop Smith in the NFC Championship Game. Don't expect Johnson to see a great increase in receiving totals. He will open the 2006 season at 34 years old and he doesn't do much after the catch anymore. But he'll be a viable red zone target for Jake Delhomme, and he could surpass last season's total of six TD catches. Johnson should be an ideal No. 3 fantasy receiver. Consider him in the later rounds.
Seahawks sign Nate Burleson: The ex-Viking was a big fantasy disappointment last season, but he will likely find a comfortable niche in his hometown. Expectations are naturally tempered for Burleson, but he should be a decent No. 2 fantasy receiver worth drafting in the ninth round of 10 and 12-team leagues. Burleson was hampered by injuries last season, and overmatched as a No. 1 wideout when he was available during the first half of the schedule. With the Seahawks, he'll be surrounded by more receiving talent and should benefit from the steady and sometimes outstanding play of Matt Hasselbeck. Seattle will spread the ball around a lot in the passing game, so Burleson might not be sttaistically consistent. But he is a tough receiver with good hands who plays bigger than his size (6-0, 197) and should fit in well in the West Coast offense. Burleson should bounce back to get past the 900-yard mark, and expect at least six TD receptions.
Bills trade Eric Moulds to Texans: Moulds will be 33 years old when the new season starts, and he's on the down side of his career. He figures to be a legitimate third fantasy receiver who should only be started when the matchup is quite friendly. Consider drafting him in the 11th or 12th round of a 10-team league. This move means more for Andre Johnson and David Carr than Moulds. Finally, Johnson has a quality complement, one who can make some important possession catches while Johnson stretches the field. Carr also now has a dependable target and should be sacked less often on key passing downs. Johnson could have his biggest statistical year yet, and Carr's value as a fantasy backup is raised, and he should now be a quality reserve. Carr is now a decent 12th round pick. Johnson could have some very big games but still might suffer from some bouts of inconsistency. He's a great choice if you can get him in the fifth round. If the Texans address their offensive line issues in the near future, it will only help the Houston passing game even more.
Titans sign David Givens: Leaving New England could be a positive for Givens, as Tom Brady spreads the ball around too much. Givens' underrated skills could become much more visible with the Titans, who should make him a more prominent part of their offense. He has a knack for making the big play, and he certainly knows how to get open in the red zone. If Givens can adjust well to increased demands, he could be one of the top sleepers at wide receiver. He's certainly worth the gamble once you have drafted at least two dependable starters at the position. You can possibly land him as a bargain in the 10th round.
Browns sign Joe Jurevicius: He caught 10 TD passes last season for Seattle, but Jurevicius now becomes part of a less potent offense in Cleveland. Despite his career-high scoring output last season, Jurevicius was never reliable in terms of yardage. If he starts as Cleveland's No. 2 receiver, he could disappoint very often. Look for a decrease in TD production and a drop in fantasy value. Jurevicius is a good add for the Browns in terms of balancing their passing game, but he'll simply make less catches than he did with the Seahawks. Jurevicius should be drafted only as a reserve, and don't overrate him. He's best left for the final rounds, and if he goes earlier, don't fret if you miss the opportunity to land him.
49ers sign Antonio Bryant: Bryant has displayed big-play ability in the past, and with Braylon Edwards on the rise, he clearly wanted to be a top receiving option for another team. Bryant was eager to get out of Cleveland, and San Francisco will give him the opportunity he wants. But he'll never be a consistent No. 1 guy, even though he might have a few quality outings when the matchup is friendly. Playing with an inexperienced passer obviously doesn't help, either. Bryant is a decent pick as a late-round fantasy reserve.
Vikings re-sign Koren Robinson: He revived his sagging career last season, and showed flashes of promise again. Over a full season in 2006, Robinson should have a few big games and will be a good value pick as a third fantasy wideout. You should certainly take a chance on him in the 10th round.
Rams re-sign Isaac Bruce: The Rams chose to retain one of their mainstays, satisfying many of the team's loyal fans. But Bruce suffered through an injury-marred 2005 season, and at age 33, he appears to be entering the twilight of his career. Only consider him as a late-round reserve.
Bills sign Peerless Price: He probably wishes now that he never left Buffalo in the first place, and now he returns in attempt to revive his sagging career. Price will compete for a starting job opposite Lee Evans, but he could get beat out by second-year man Roscoe Parrish. Price likely won't be worth a draft pick in most fantasy leagues.
Eagles sign Jabar Gaffney: He's a lower-end possession receiver who might fit in well as a role player in the Philadelphia passing game. He likely won't contribute much statistically. Don't draft Gaffney.
Packers sign Rod Gardner and Marc Boerigter: If Green Bay loses Javon Walker, Gardner could fare well enough to be a decent fantasy backup. But he likely won't be worth a draft pick. Boerigter could be good for a few TDs, but not much else. He should not be on your draft lists, either.
Jets sign Tim Dwight: He instantly improves the fantasy value of New York's special teams, but he's never been a real factor as a receiver. He's not worth a draft pick.
Patriots sign Reche Caldwell: If Caldwell can avoid injuries, he could fit well in the New England passing game. But the always uncertain ball distribution will make him a non-factor in most fantasy leagues. Forget about him on draft day.
Bills sign Andre' Davis: He could catch a few TD passes as a third receiver. The expected departure of Eric Moulds means more of an opportunity for Roscoe Parrish, and Davis won't produce enough to be a fantasy factor.
OTHER MOVES

? Seattle's loss of Steve Hutchinson won't adversely affect the value of Shaun Alexander in a major way. While Hutchinson is clearly the best at his position, left tackle Walter Jones remains the anchor of a still-solid offensive line, and keep in mind that Alexander made many tacklers miss and created a lot of his own running room. Alexander should still be a top three choice overall.

? The natural receiving skills of Jeb Putzier never seemed to materialize in Denver. But the Texans will make a major effort to get their new tight end more involved in the passing game next season. This will be the year when Putzier puts it all together or shows us he will never be a factor. Give him a shot in the later rounds because of some upside.

? The value of Adam Vinatieri certainly increases with a move to Indianapolis. He'll benefit greatly from the high-powered offense and more games indoors. Vinatieri ranked 21st at his position in ESPN leagues in 2005, but he should be one of the first kickers off the board in 2006 drafts.

? Mike Vanderjagt leaves an explosive Colts offense behind, but Dallas has clearly improved with the signing of Terrell Owens. He could get more field-goal opportunities with the Cowboys and will remain an elite fantasy kicker.

<!--end leftcol --></TD><TD width=15><SPACER height="1" type="block" width="15"></TD><TD class=rightcell vAlign=top width=195><!-- begin rightcol --><!-- begin InContent --><SCRIPT language=javascript src="http://adsatt.espn.go.com/ad/sponsors/utilities/flash-ads.js" type=text/javascript></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=VBScript> on error resume next f2 = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.2"))) f3 = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.3"))) f4 = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.4"))) f5 = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.5"))) f6 = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6"))) f7 = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.7"))) f8 = (IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.8"))) </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=Javascript type=text/javascript>var SOB=new flashObj();var enc_goto = escape(("" == "") ? "http://www.orbitz.com/App/PartnerRedirect%3fgcid=c11287x256%26gtkw=300x250+baseball%26url=sports.espn.go.com/travel/index" : "");SOB.ID = "ad_creative";SOB.flashFile = "http://adsatt.espn.go.com/ad/sponsors/ORBITZ_LLC/Apr_2006/orbi-300x250-0028.swf?clicktag=http://log.go.com/log?srvc%3dsz%26guid%3dBF2F9640-D7BA-4187-BA0B-E92CCE2AE2D1%26drop%3d0%26addata%3d1331:52948:230792:65%26a%3d1%26goto%3d"+enc_goto;SOB.DenyIEdl = "TRUE";SOB.wmode = "opaque";SOB.width = "300";SOB.height = "250";SOB.FlashVer = 6;SOB.cabVersion = "6,0,0,0";SOB.altTxt = "<a href=""\"http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=BF2F9640-D7BA-4187-BA0B-E92CCE2AE2D1&drop=0&addata=1331:52948:230792:65&a=1&goto=http://www.orbitz.com/App/PartnerRedirect%3fgcid=c11287x256%26gtkw=300x250+baseball%26url=sports.espn.go.com/travel/index\" target=\"_new\"> <\/a>";SOB.render(true);</SCRIPT><OBJECT id=ad_creative codeBase=http://active.macromedia.com/flash2/cabs/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0 height=250 width=300 classid=clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000>

<EMBED SRC=http://adsatt.espn.go.com/ad/sponsors/ORBITZ_LLC/Apr_2006/orbi-300x250-0028.swf?clicktag=http://log.go.com/log?srvc%3dsz%26guid%3dBF2F9640-D7BA-4187-BA0B-E92CCE2AE2D1%26drop%3d0%26addata%3d1331:52948:230792:65%26a%3d1%26goto%3dhttp%3A//www.orbitz.com/App/PartnerRedirect%253fgcid%3Dc11287x256%2526gtkw%3D300x250+baseball%2526url%3Dsports.espn.go.com/travel/index swLiveConnect=FALSE WIDTH=300 HEIGHT=250 QUALITY=best SCALE=exactfit wmode=opaque ID=ad_creative NAME=flash1 MENU=false DEVICEFONT=false FlashVars=null TYPE=application/x-shockwave-flash PLUGINSPAGE=http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash></EMBED></OBJECT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- Replace with Survey Script -->

<!-- end InContent --><!-- begin Poster --><LINK href="http://espn.go.com/insertfiles/css/sportstory2005_poster.css" type=text/css rel=stylesheet>

<!-- end Poster -->

<!-- begin MarketingLogo --><SCRIPT language=javascript><!--function popNewWindow() { window.open("http://log.go.com/log?srvc=sz&guid=BF2F9640-D7BA-4187-BA0B-E92CCE2AE2D1&drop=0&addata=1935:65:233136:65&a=1&goto=http://www.nba.com/06draftsweeps/form.jsp?site=espnshop","newwin","toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=no,width=710,height=625
");}//--></SCRIPT>

<!-- end MarketingLogo --><!-- begin multimedia --><!-- end multimedia -->
<!-- start font tool --><DIV class=ftool><DIV class=ft1>Adjust Font Size:
<SCRIPT language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> document.write('<!-- fontsize=' + fontsize + '-->') if (fontsize == 10) { document.write('<div class="ft2at"><a href="#" onClick="changeFontSize(10); return false;"> <\/a><\/div>'); } else { document.write('<div class="ft2"><a href="#" onClick="changeFontSize(10); return false;"> <\/a><\/div>'); } if (fontsize == 11) { document.write('<div class="ft2at"><a href="#" onClick="changeFontSize(11); return false;"> <\/a><\/div>'); } else { document.write('<div class="ft2"><a href="#" onClick="changeFontSize(11); return false;"> <\/a><\/div>'); } if (fontsize == 14) { document.write('<div class="ft2at"><a href="#" onClick="changeFontSize(14); return false;"> <\/a><\/div>'); } else { document.write('<a href="#" onClick="changeFontSize(14); return false;"> <\/a><\/div>'); } if (fontsize == 20) { document.write('<a href="#" onClick="changeFontSize(20); return false;"> <\/a><\/div>'); } else { document.write('<a href="#" onClick="changeFontSize(20); return false;"> <\/a><\/div>'); } </SCRIPT><!-- fontsize=11-->

<!-- end font tool--><!-- end rightcol --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hache Man

Starting fresh from Seattle

posted: Monday, May 8, 2006 | Feedback
filed under: Seattle Seahawks

I of course picked Seattle to beat Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl, so I figured there would be no better place to start mini-camp season than in the Emerald City. Seattle made 12 relatively low-key signings in the offseason and were only stung largely by the loss of guard Steve Hutchinson to the Vikings. Here are a few observations and notes from Seattle:
? Kelly Jennings got pretty good reviews in his first pro action, albeit in shorts and a helmet. During Saturday's afternoon practice, Seattle's first-rounder out of Miami broke up two passes consecutively, the first a deep corner to Peter Warrick and the second a square-in to D.J. Hackett. Jennings may be 5-foot-11 and 178 pounds, but he wants to have a physical presence on a potentially very physical secondary.
"It is football," Jennings said. "It's a collision sport. I know I'm a smaller guy. I know I am going to try to stick my nose in there a little harder than everybody else in order to make the tackles."
? Seattle's second pick, DE Darryl Tapp out of Virginia Tech, made some noise at practice when he whipped my boy Big Walt Jones on a pass-rushing drill. "The guys were teasing him," Head coach Mike Holmgren said of Jones. "And Walt has been through this enough that mini-camps don't hold the same fascination for him as they might a rookie. That having been said, Tapp got a him couple times."
? Sliding from tackle to guard to replace Hutchinson will be Floyd "Pork Chop" Womack, who is the heaviest offensive lineman on Seattle's roster at 333 large. I'm glad to see Womack finally getting a shot to start. I always felt for him the past few years when Jones sat out training camp for three years straight, suddenly signed, and then wound up in the Pro Bowl each time. Womack was the guy who had to replace Jones in the starting lineup and sweat through training camp and keep Matt Hasselbeck's jersey clean throughout preseason only to find himself on the bench come Week 1.
"Floyd Womack is going to have a chance to be that guy, and he should be," said Holmgren. "Of all the guys on the team, probably, I'm not sure we've treated him as fair as we should over the years."
? Anyone who thought Shaun Alexander would ease the throttle back a bit now that he's got a new, secure deal wasn't watching him at mini-camp. But then again, it is only mini-camp.
? Ken Hamlin celebrated his return to the field with an interception on his first day in practice. I talked to Hamlin after his second practice and could tell how excited he was to just be out there. He was literally breathing heavy and smiling from jogging off the field after practice. He wasn't breathing heavy because he was out of shape -- I saw him work out in Houston last week and know that's not the case -- but because of the pure adrenaline of being out there again.
? My Seattle non-rain streak finally ended. I have visited Seattle multiple times since my early teens and have never been caught in the rain. That's right, never. Each time I've been there it's been sunny and gorgeous, and I drive around asking myself why in the world I don't live here. This weekend was wet. I suppose I was due.
? If you're at all into outdoor stuff, Seattle's REI is about the coolest place ever. I got a call from one of my high school buddies, Justin Harth, telling me that REI was having a sale this weekend. I stopped by before catching my flight home Sunday afternoon and dropped $250 pretty easily. The Seattle REI, in addition to all the gear, has a climbing wall, little patches of rock and gravel to run on with hiking shoes, and a rain chamber to test waterproof gear. And a restaurant. And a great view of the Space Needle.
Random stuff

? Eagles RB Brian Westbrook says coach Andy Reid wants to run the ball more this year -- surprise, surprise considering how Donovan McNabb was beaten up last year -- and Westbrook thinks he'll be getting the carries.
"I've always said, the more I touch the ball the more I get into a rhythm, and the better I will be as a player," Westbrook told the Delco Times. "Last year I didn't touch it as much in the run game as I wanted to, and pretty much every game we already had a great player on our team with T.O. And Donovan was able to make plays, as well.
"This year I just think that the core of our team should be some part of our running game. As a team, we have to find a way to get the run going. I think the running game this year will be a more integral part of our team and the things that we're going to do. We have a very solid core group of guys and we're going to need that core group of guys this year to kind of pull more of the weight than they've done in previous years."
Westbrook also says he's fully recovered from the Lisfranc sprain that ended his season last year. I'm willing to bet that the Eagles are cautious about Westbrook being a workhorse back. They know that whenever he gets a lot of carries, he usually misses time with injuries.
? Aaron Rodgers probably will lose $1 million in bonuses because of Brett Favre's decision to return to football, according to the Green Bay Press-Gazette. His base salaries for next year and the year after have bonuses tied to his percentage of snaps this season. Unless Favre gets hurt, Rodgers won't see any of that loot. ? I can't remember who recently wrote about the TV in-flight thing (Peter King maybe?) but I experienced it for the first time on my Delta trip from Seattle yesterday. That four-and-a-half hours never went by so quickly. For the first time in a long time, I watched a baseball game on TV first pitch to last pitch. I thought it was a good piece of reporting from Sam Ryan, ESPN's Sunday Night baseball reporter, on Phillies pitcher Cory Lidle's comments on Bonds and steroid use. Ryan asked why he singled out Bonds and not Jason Giambi, Lidle's former teammate. Lidle said it was because Giambi had come clean. Ryan correctly pointed out to Lidle that his former teammate in Oakland indeed had not.

Hache Man

May. 9, 2006
FFL: Top 25 Rookies

By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->Here are my Top 25 Rookies for 2006 and beyond. All players are graded for immediate and projected future impact.

GRADING KEY
1. Immediate impact player who should start in fantasy leagues in his first NFL season.
2. Should play well enough to become a standout early in his career. Top keeper and dynasty league prospect.
3. Might post quality numbers in his first pro season if he gets the opportunity. Very promising in keeper and dynasty leagues.
4. Long shot to make a major impact in his first year, but should eventually become a quality fantasy starter.
5. Should only be drafted in keeper and dynasty leagues.
<!--##FRONTSTOP##-->
THE TOP 25

1. Reggie Bush, RB, Saints (1): Will make a fine early third-round pick in keeper leagues. His receiving skills could be the best we have ever seen from a running back in a long time, and will make him an instant fantasy star even if he shares some playing time with Deuce McAllister.
2. DeAngelo Williams, RB, Panthers (2): He'll finally stabilize Carolina's running game. Great vision and natural instincts. Could be a terrific value in the fourth round of yearly leagues.
3. Joseph Addai, RB, Colts (2): A versatile performer who should quickly become a valuable part of an explosive offense. Addai could become a very dependable and sometimes outstanding fantasy starter very early in his pro career.
4. Vernon Davis, TE, 49ers (2): Won't be an immediate superstar, as he'll take some time to adjust to the pro game, but should still produce well enough early in his career to make him one of the better players at his position. Great receiving fundamentals could make him the best TE in fantasy by his third season.
5. Laurence Maroney, RB. Patriots (3): Will operate as a relief option for Corey Dillon initially, but could impress if Dillon gets hurt. By his third year, he could be ready to shine as a fantasy starter.
6. LenDale White, RB, Titans (3): Could get pressed into needed service as a rookie but unlikely to become a reliable option in 2006. Eventually, he could be a super source of TD production.
7. Brian Calhoun, RB, Lions (4): Kevin Jones is still the main option for the Lions, but Calhoun will be a good alternative if Jones can't stay healthy. Calhoun has some promise as a pass catcher and now gives Detroit a viable future alternative if Jones continues to disappoint.
8. Marcedes Lewis, TE, Jaguars (4): Much of the hype focused on Davis, but Lewis should become a top-level tight end no later than his third year. He might be the biggest sleeper in the rookie class.
9. Santonio Holmes, WR, Steelers (4): Should instantly become a challenge for defenses because of his big-play promise, but you might not see him produce up to his potential until at least his second year.
10. Chad Jackson, WR, Patriots (4): He'll excite Patriots fans with some flashes of big-play skills in his first year. But Tom Brady spreads the ball around too much and might not throw it to him often enough as a rookie.
11. Sinorice Moss, WR, Giants (4): He'll catch some big gainers in his first year, as he works with a QB who won't hesitate to get him the ball downfield on passing downs. Should eventually become a regular playmaker for Eli Manning and a fine No. 2 fantasy receiver even if his statistical production is sporadic early in his career.
12. Matt Leinart, QB, Cardinals (4): Could be forced to start as a rookie if Kurt Warner gets injured, but won't be recommended for fantasy use. Should develop into a fine game manager who should post occasionally outstanding stats in his prime.
13. Stephen Gostkowski, K, Patriots (4): He's not known for his leg strength, but he was reliable in college and could get a lot of opportunities to score if he can beat out veteran Martin Gramatica. He'll either become an immediate fantasy option or drop out of sight.
14. Jay Cutler, QB, Broncos (5): While he doesn't figure to have any value as a rookie, Cutler could end up being one of the best fantasy players in this year's class and the top fantasy QB of the group. Great confidence, and will shine once he makes some needed adjustments.
15. Vince Young, QB, Titans (5): A future standout who will need a lot of time to become comfortable at the NFL level. He'll find that defenders are faster and smarter in the NFL, and Young will have to become a more complete QB before he starts for Tennessee.
16. Leonard Pope, TE, Arizona (5): He might not make much noise in his first year, but Pope is a natural receiver who will become a fantasy mainstay by his third or fourth pro season.
17. Maurice Stovall, WR, Tampa Bay (5): An impressive package of size and speed, he makes picturesque grabs and should eventually become a fine No. 2 fantasy receiver.
18. Greg Jennings, WR, Green Bay (5): A smart, tough receiver, Jennings has the quickness and natural instincts to become a star receiver for the Packers by his third pro season, if not a bit sooner. Any wideout who plays with Brett Favre early in his career does have sleeper potential.
19. Tony Scheffler, TE, Denver (5): Could fit in well with the Denver offense because of his impressive speed and athleticism. Scheffler has some promise and could start to show off his skills often by his second year.
20. Derek Hagan, WR, Miami (5): A solid possession prospect who could eventually become the perfect complement to Chris Chambers. Smart dynasty league owners won't overlook Hagan.
21. Travis Wilson, WR, Cleveland (5): If any wideout might emerge as a steal for dynasty and keeper league owners, it could be Wilson. He is regarded as an underrated package of size, toughness and surprising quickness.
22. Jason Avant, WR, Philadelphia (5): He could get a chance to play quickly for the receiving-starved Eagles. But he doesn't have huge upside and should only become a reliable, but not outstanding fantasy player.
23. Kellen Clemens, QB, New York Jets (5): He's a natural leader who could be a bargain in keeper and dynasty leagues if he recovers from last year's broken ankle. Clemens has the necessary intangibles to become at least a solid pro QB.
24. Brodie Croyle, QB Kansas City (5): Appears to be a natural successor to Trent Green. Croyle is smart and has the arm strength to put the ball wherever he wants it.
25. Demetrius Williams, WR, Baltimore (5): He has the potential to become a big-play man for the Ravens. The Ravens have long hungered for a vertical threat, and here's one they can mold.

Hache Man

May. 11, 2006
Modified: May. 9, 2006
FFL: One-Man Mock Draft

By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->Here is our early 2006 version of the one-man mock draft, based on standard ESPN scoring and roster guidelines. Keep in mind that this is not how players are ranked, but one man's advance view of how the first six rounds of a draft should proceed this season.

Round One
1. Larry Johnson: Has become a better runner in the red zone and will flourish now that he finally gets the chance to be the No. 1 guy.
2. Shaun Alexander: Durable and doesn't get enough respect. He's always been a major force in the red zone and he'll have another impressive year. 3. LaDainian Tomlinson: Gets banged up more than Alexander and might not score as much as Johnson will in 2006.
4. Tiki Barber: His age (31) is an overrated number when you consider he has only been a true full-time featured back for the past four years.
5. Edgerrin James: His yardage numbers might drop a bit in Arizona, but he should continue to score often as he erases the Cardinals' red-zone problems.
6. Clinton Portis: He finally became comfortable in the Washington offense last season, and you can expect a full season of terrific totals in '06.
7. Peyton Manning: He's the only surefire player at his position to post outstanding numbers every year, even if he doesn't come close to his 2004 totals.
8. LaMont Jordan: He's a versatile standout who gets touches near the goal line and has the potential to rush for 1,300 yards.
9. Rudi Johnson: He has registered two consecutive seasons of 1,400-plus yards and 12 TDs. He's not glamorous, but the numbers are all you need to see.
10. Steve Smith: With Keyshawn Johnson now taking some defensive attention away from him, Smith should certainly have another huge year.

Round Two
11. Steven Jackson: He's already unstoppable near the goal line. And he could finally display more consistency outside the red zone this year.
12. Domanick Davis: Durability is an issue, but the all-around production is superb when he is healthy.
13. Chad Johnson: He has become annually excellent, and he still might not have given us his true career season yet.
14. Carnell Williams: Must prove he can stay healthy, and there are no other doubts that surround him right now.
15. Torry Holt: A safe, smart pick. He always delivers, even if his Rams teammates struggle around him.
16. Terrell Owens: Get ready for an amazing statistical season. But his personality still makes him less of a sure thing than Chad Johnson or Holt.
17. Larry Fitzgerald: Even with James coming in, Fitzgerald will have another fine year. The Cardinals should use play-action passing to their benefit more often, especially near the goal line.
18. Randy Moss: He can easily post stellar totals, especially with Aaron Brooks looking for him often. He'll simply have to avoid injuries.
19. Willis McGahee: Still has the potential to be a top fantasy RB. The yardage will be there, and it's worth the gamble to see if the TD totals rise again.
20. Ronnie Brown: Could take full advantage of more playing time, and should start to become more of a factor as a pass-catcher.

Round Three
21. Anquan Boldin: Might not score as much as Fitzgerald but will still be one of the best players at his position, even with a minor decrease in overall production.
22. Marvin Harrison: You shouldn't think he is going to slow down until you actually see it happen.
23. Reggie Bush: He should be an immediate standout and might display the best receiving skills we have seen from an RB in a long time.
24. Brian Westbrook: Should make an effective recovery from a foot injury; he can score any time he touches the ball.
25. Hines Ward: Very dependable and a safe pick every year. 'Nuff said.
26. Thomas Jones: He will still keep Cedric Benson on the bench often if he stays in Chicago, or there is an outside shot he could shine elsewhere.
27. Corey Dillon: He can still be a prime source of TDs. Just make sure you get insurance in case he battles injuries again.
28. Antonio Gates: Philip Rivers won't drag down his numbers as much as you might expect, and he's still the premier player at a weak position.
29. Santana Moss: Poised for another very good season, as the Redskins have surrounded him with better complements.
30. Chris Chambers: Could finally be a consistent force if he works with a healthy Daunte Culpepper for much of the year.

Round Four
31. Reuben Droughns: He's tough and will battle for lots of yardage. Hopefully, he will score more in 2006.
32. Tom Brady: He has clearly become an above-average fantasy passer, and he will no longer last until the middle rounds.
33. Kevin Jones: His owners won't have any visions of superstardom for him anymore. They just want Jones to be dependable.
34. Julius Jones: He still has star potential. But Jones must fight off injuries and the presence of Marion Barber near the goal line.
35. Joey Galloway: He has become a complete receiver. He makes timely possession grabs and still has a deep gear.
36. Tatum Bell: He'll have some big days, but the Broncos just don't trust him to carry a full-time load.
37. Reggie Wayne: His TD numbers were disappointing last year but could easily rise back up in 2006.
38. Donovan McNabb: He was a top fantasy QB before Terrell Owens arrived, and he'll still be one of the best now that Owens is gone.
39. Daunte Culpepper: He could start slowly, but he will have better weapons in Miami and could enjoy a statistical rebirth.
40. T.J. Houshmandzadeh: Had a breakthrough season in 2005 and appears to be entering the prime of a promising career.

Round Five
41. Matt Hasselbeck
42. Plaxico Burress
43. Tony Gonzalez
44. Carson Palmer
45. DeAngelo Williams
46. Ahman Green
47. Roy Williams
48. Joseph Addai
49. Jamal Lewis
50. Chester Taylor

Round Six
51. Drew Brees
52. Darrell Jackson
53. Javon Walker
54. Andre Johnson
55. Jeremy Shockey
56. Drew Bledsoe
57. Warrick Dunn
58. Joe Horn
59. Willie Parker
60. Todd Heap

Hache Man

May. 11, 2006

FFL: Offseason Survival

By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games

<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->For many of us dedicated fantasy football owners, the season really never ends. Once the fantasy playoffs are over, we enjoy the NFL postseason.<!--##FRONTSTOP##--> The time period after the Super Bowl and before the beginning of training camp is often permeated with many thoughts of a new season. Events such as the NFL draft make us hungry for the new season to begin and get us talking about the 2006 campaign months before it starts.
The offseason can be a challenging time for any fantasy owner who has a great passion for the game. Many of us simply can't wait until draft day, and need to fill the void left by lack of trade talks, transactions and weekly injury reports. But it is easy to survive and you can also learn a lot during this "quiet period." As you wait desperately for John Clayton's next appearance on ESPNews, there are a lot of other important things you can do to get ready for the new season. You can load up on information and find other football-related sources of joy. Here's the Top 10 things you can do during the offseason to survive now and thrive later.
1. Stay updated on everything: Sure, we all know Nate Burleson signed in Seattle and Javon Walker was traded to Denver. But you'll gain an extra advantage over other owners if you stay aware of changes that involve lesser offensive players, offensive linemen and defensive players. It's good to know that TE Jeb Putzier could become an integral part of a possibly improved offense in Houston, or Josh Reed will get the opportunity to start in Buffalo with possibly the last chance to salvage a disappointing career. Cleveland improved its offensive line by adding C LeCharles Bentley and T Kevin Shaffer, and the Browns could be better on both sides of the ball next season. Adding LB Willie McGinest and DT Ted Washington could make Cleveland's defense a much better fantasy unit in 2006. Miami addressed concerns in its secondary and also could perform better defensively this upcoming season. You can't simply base your evaluations of players based on past performances. You must consider their new roles on new teams. Defensive personnel changes greatly could affect the performances of many units. Check out ESPN.com's complete free agency movement list right here. Stay fully updated on players from all teams, every day, at ESPN Local. Don't limit your research to skill position players. Learning about other positions will give you an edge when you consider matchups and draft defensive units.
2. Learn the roles of rookies: Don't expect Laurence Maroney to immediately become a standout RB for New England. Don't be surprised if Arizona TE Leonard Pope emerges as a pleasant surprise. Don't make assumptions about how rookies will fit in. Get the expert takes. Scouts Inc. breaks down every round of the draft here, and that's a good start. You'll find out what newcomers can make an immediate impact. Todd McShay also goes in-depth by conference, fully reviewing the AFC and NFC. Stay updated on stories about first-year players at ESPN Local. As you do with free agents, read about more than just skill position players. Impact players on both sides of the ball can affect your fantasy strategy.
3. Immerse yourself in information: There are many great sources that contain the latest news, information and rumors from around the league. Knowledge is power in fantasy football, and you can gain quite an edge if you depend on key providers. Some of my favorites include Pro Football Weekly's Whispers From Around the NFL, which disperses unique and important tidbits you might miss elsewhere, and ESPN Local, where I can read the latest stories from hometown newspapers. Rumor Central is a definite bookmark for any savvy fantasy owner, and I also find that fantasy football message boards often buzz with great links to important stories from all over the Internet and talk about the latest possible player moves and depth chart changes.
4. Expand your community: If you venture outside the realm of your own league, you will find a lot of other fantasy football owners like yourself. Message boards are not only a place where many fantasy football players share information, but a central hub for diverse conversations and subjects. You'll find other people looking to do mock drafts, have their rosters evaluated, and owners looking for your opinions on certain players and situations. The ESPN Fantasy Football Message Board is always a great place to find other enthusiastic fantasy football owners. Another recommended board to frequent is the Fantasy Football Today community, which seems to include a regular amount of healthy posts during the NFL offseason from many dedicated fantasy players.
5. Get ready to read: The annual slew of fantasy football magazines will be ready to hit the bookstores soon, with the ESPN Fantasy Guide due on newsstands June 20. Get ready to dive into this annual from beginning to end to gain a full advantage over the opposition. I personally set a block of time aside (at least an hour a night) to read one fantasy magazine from beginning to end, including all player profiles. It might take me a few weeks to finish the magazine, but once you do, you will feel confident that you have studied up on every single important player and strategy there is to know. Again, knowledge is power, and nothing beats having studied up on just about every player you might have a chance to draft. You'll see many magazines on the newsstands this year, but I find it best to pick one quality publication and soak up every word. Of course, I will recommend ESPN's Fantasy Guide as that one source. It's the most powerful combination of fantasy expertise and pure football perspectives. But I always have taken the one-publication approach to using fantasy football magazines. And I do consult other magazines to consider different viewpoints, even if I don't read them fully. I also find one good NFL preview magazine for further research and reference.
6. Madden keeps your sanity: If you really need a football simulation that you can participate in and get the similar thrill of winning a fictional championship, nothing fits the bill quite like playing Madden '06. You can complete an entire season with one team, build a franchise, and best of all, the game contains a fantasy draft option. You can draft your entire team, even the punter, and guide it all the way from the preseason to the Super Bowl. Video game players and fantasy owners are often the same people. And the player ratings and tendencies have become so realistic, you actually can learn more about your prospective fantasy draft picks. If you really want to turn up the intensity, you can act as the owner of your franchise and set everything from ticket prices to the design of your uniforms. If you feel like you are going to go crazy without the NFL, Madden '06 will make you feel a lot better.
7. NFL Europe!: If you're really hardcore, and haven't found the right hobby to fill your NFL void, try following NFL Europe. It's a perfect time to get involved, as there are only two weeks left in the regular season. World Bowl XIV is scheduled for Saturday, May 27. RB Roger Robinson of the Frankfurt Galaxy, who was allocated by the Arizona Cardinals, leads the league in rushing with 833 yards and has scored four touchdowns. WR Chad Lucas of Amsterdam (allocated by Green Bay), leads the league with eight TD receptions, the most scores of any player in NFL Europe. The Arena Football League playoffs also begin on May 20.
8. The NIFL!: If you want to follow a league that lasts longer into the summer and has more teams, the 22 franchises of the National Indoor Football League compete in regular season games through July. The league has been in existence since 2000, and the postseason wraps up right before the NFL exhibition schedule begins. Roland Hayes of the Beaumont Drillers leads the league with 22 TDs in six games.
9. Plan your scouting trip: Want to feel like you are really gaining an edge on the opposition? Start planning now to tour the training camps or visit at least a few of them. Be among the first to see Edgerrin James in action with his new team. Make it a goal to attend the annual AFC/NFC Hall of Fame Game. This year's exhibition season opener is scheduled for August 6, and features the Raiders and the Eagles. Make your travel plans now, and you will feel like you have an important fantasy-football related trip to anticipate.
10. Rediscover your Sundays: Yes, your days seem empty without "Edge NFL Matchup." But there's movies to see, books to read, and good weather to enjoy. There will be enough time to sit inside when it's cold in November. There are other channels on your TV that don't have sports programming. And most importantly, it's good to start initiating human contact that doesn't include high-fiving and sharing buffalo wings. Get another new hobby. Discover a restaurant that doesn't have any televisions. And go shopping for a shirt without a number on it.

Hache Man

Modified: May. 16, 2006FFL: Player Rankings
By Scott Engel
ESPN Fantasy Games
<!-- begin presby2 -->
<!-- end presby2 -->
<!-- end bylinebox -->
<!-- begin text11 div --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 10px" vAlign=top><!-- begin leftcol --><!-- template inline -->
<TABLE class=text11 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>Quarterbacks
1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3. Donovan McNabb
4. Daunte Culpepper
5. Matt Hasselbeck
6. Carson Palmer
7. Drew Brees
8. Drew Bledsoe
9. Marc Bulger
10. Ben Roethlisberger
11. Trent Green
12. Jake Delhomme