NFL season win totals

Valuist

EOG Master
I was in Reno for a few days and made several season win totals.

Houston Over 8 1/2 (-140) William Hill
Carolina Under 9 (-125) William Hill
Oakland Under 8 1/2 (-130) Atlantis

Backed off on Philly under 10 1/2 (-125, available several places). Houston has the best schedule in the NFL. Not only in terms of opponent's expected wins, but in terms of opponent sequencing. 5 of their 8 home games are against teams playing in their second consecutive road game. That is the most good setups of any team in the league. The Texans have been hit quite hard by injuries the past 2 years, ranking 29th both seasons in starter games lost. Carolina has so many negative factors I could write a thesis on it. They were 4-0 in games last year in games decided by 4 points or less. Their 3rd down performance on both sides of the ball was considerably better than their overall performance. McCafferey may be a good receiver out of the backfield, but he hasn't proved he can run between the tackles. Are they really going to count on 38 YO Julius Peppers, 35 YO Thomas Davis and an oft-injured Luke Kuechly to recapture the form from the 2015 season? They have one stretch where they play only 1 divisional game in 10 weeks, then close the season with 4 divisional games in the final 5 weeks. Even their bye week sucks. Nobody wants a week 4 bye; the later the better so the nagging injuries can heal. And in terms of injuries, the Panthers were 7th last year and 6th in 2016 in fewest starter games missed due to injury. We know that will likely even out. As for Oakland, I don't like the hire of Gruden. Football is a young man's game and he's loading the roster up with aging veterans. Will Gruden last long enough to coach a game in Vegas?

FWIW, US Bookmaking/Baldini's in Sparks will be offering minus 108 for sides and totals.

kane

EOG master
Re: NFL season win totals

I'm high on the Texans this year, I think Watson is the real deal. My concern is with his injury, but if he's fully recovered and ready to go I think they're a contender to win the conference, GL with these

Valuist

EOG Master

I'm high on the Texans this year, I think Watson is the real deal. My concern is with his injury, but if he's fully recovered and ready to go I think they're a contender to win the conference, GL with these

You look at the injuries last year for them: Watt, Watson, Mercilus and Cushing, among others. Tom Savage at QB? That is brutal.

Looking around the division, I think it sets up well for them. A couple weeks ago, we saw footage of Andrew Luck throwing a college ball for around 25 throws. The betting markets seemed nonplussed, as the number either stayed the same, or only moved a few cents. Jax could be a regression candidate. These teams that have big jumps in wins invariably are up against it the next year, getting the first place schedule and no longer catching teams by surprise. Tennessee was 9-7 but was outscored and actually scored less points than the Houston team that had 10 games started by either Savage or TJ Yates.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

CJ Anderson could be a real steal for Carolina, he should get the majority of the carries and McCaffrey will play a role like Reggie Bush.

Valuist

EOG Master

CJ Anderson could be a real steal for Carolina, he should get the majority of the carries and McCaffrey will play a role like Reggie Bush.

Maybe so. I love that under. C.J. Anderson isn't going to be enough to overcome all the other negativity.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Thanks for sharing, Valuist.

I have a hard time thinking football until I see a game.

I'll be in attendance for the Bears-Ravens game early next month in Canton.

Valuist

EOG Master

Thanks for sharing, Valuist.

I have a hard time thinking football until I see a game.

I'll be in attendance for the Bears-Ravens game early next month in Canton.

Dog days of baseball. I don't touch the World Cup. Saratoga doesn't start for 3 weeks. I like to make my plays before exhibition games start. I don't bet those games, and I don't watch them. I don't want exhibition games to color my thinking in any way.

Valuist

EOG Master

Backed off on Philly under 10 1/2 (-125, available several places). Houston has the best schedule in the NFL. Not only in terms of opponent's expected wins, but in terms of opponent sequencing. 5 of their 8 home games are against teams playing in their second consecutive road game. That is the most good setups of any team in the league. The Texans have been hit quite hard by injuries the past 2 years, ranking 29th both seasons in starter games lost. Carolina has so many negative factors I could write a thesis on it. They were 4-0 in games last year in games decided by 4 points or less. Their 3rd down performance on both sides of the ball was considerably better than their overall performance. McCafferey may be a good receiver out of the backfield, but he hasn't proved he can run between the tackles. Are they really going to count on 38 YO Julius Peppers, 35 YO Thomas Davis and an oft-injured Luke Kuechly to recapture the form from the 2015 season? They have one stretch where they play only 1 divisional game in 10 weeks, then close the season with 4 divisional games in the final 5 weeks. Even their bye week sucks. Nobody wants a week 4 bye; the later the better so the nagging injuries can heal. And in terms of injuries, the Panthers were 7th last year and 6th in 2016 in fewest starter games missed due to injury. We know that will likely even out. As for Oakland, I don't like the hire of Gruden. Football is a young man's game and he's loading the roster up with aging veterans. Will Gruden last long enough to coach a game in Vegas?

FWIW, US Bookmaking/Baldini's in Sparks will be offering minus 108 for sides and totals.

Victory cigar time.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Fabulous job, Valuist.

Talk about prophetic.

You overcame Houston's 0-3 start and still cruised to an easy victory.

The only downside: You backed away from Philly UNDER 10.5.

You could have been 4-0.

Keep winning.

MrTop

EOG Master
nice work V.

I would think a lot of reading goes into Season win totals along with a good power rating of teams & schedules.

Valuist

EOG Master
It
nice work V.

I would think a lot of reading goes into Season win totals along with a good power rating of teams & schedules.

Not that much reading really. I go thru schedules very thoroughly. Not just projected strength of opponents, but the sequencing of the games. And several analytics are very useful for seasonal projections; IMO much better than they are for individual game predictions.

I also have made several seasonal win bets just because I found an outlier number somewhere. For this NBA season, I wasn't planning on a Bulls under because it seemed like 28 1/2 was the standard number. Then I see a 30 1/2 at the Palms and was like, really? Who on earth bet that number up from 28 1/2? A couple years ago the Giants RSW total was right around 87 1/2 but I was in Reno, and with all the Bay Area customers there, the number was jacked up to 89 1/2. Again, that was too good to pass up. Last year in Reno, the Sixers number had a big range. I tried to middle it betting over 38 1/2 wins and under 41 1/2 wins.

Chuck Sims

EOG Dedicated
Great analysis, especially the Raiders.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Fabulous job, Valuist.

Talk about prophetic.

You overcame Houston's 0-3 start and still cruised to an easy victory.

The only downside: You backed away from Philly UNDER 10.5.

You could have been 4-0.

Keep winning.

Also spoke of regression in Jax, 5-0 very easily.

I'll be looking for this next year. Well done.

waco

EOG Dedicated
I bet over/unders in football every year and it pays for my super bowl weekend in vegas every year. I got $677 coming and at least 5 more looking good.

Chuck Sims

EOG Dedicated
A square gives himself away when he asks why are you tying up part of your bankroll for the entire season on Win total wagers.

MrTop

EOG Master
A square gives himself away when he asks why are you tying up part of your bankroll for the entire season on Win total wagers.

agree a bet is a bet BUT there is some time taken on reading unless playing bad numbers. Myself I would rather wait until so many games are played where odds are better per game.