NFL Week 17 discussion, plays, and whatever else

Valuist

EOG Master
I went Aaron Jones under 63 1/2 yards. Considering he's nursing 2 injuries and Dillon looked good last week, no reason to give him a bunch of carries. I also like Michael Gallup under 49 1/2 receiving yards and Austin Hooper over 36 1/2 receiving yards.

Valuist

EOG Master
Curious to see how Tua performs in the cold. Won't be brutally cold at 32-35 but some chance of snow. Miami has only played once in sub 50 degree weather and that was in a 20-13 loss at Denver. Tua, playing for Miami, Alabama in college and grew up in Hawaii. Definitely will be a new experience for him.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Curious to see how Tua performs in the cold. Won't be brutally cold at 32-35 but some chance of snow. Miami has only played once in sub 50 degree weather and that was in a 20-13 loss at Denver. Tua, playing for Miami, Alabama in college and grew up in Hawaii. Definitely will be a new experience for him.
Pretty impressed with Buffalo bringing it today.

kane

EOG master
Miami D ran out of gas at the end of the season. At times they were shutdown, but the better teams they played eventually figured them out.

Fins are a year ahead of schedule, they have 4 picks in the first two rounds of the draft, including Houston's first rounder which is looking like a top 5 pick, this will be a very dangerous team in the coming years (I say this assuming Tua is as good as they think he'll be, not fair to judge him based off this season)

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Fins are a year ahead of schedule, they have 4 picks in the first two rounds of the draft, including Houston's first rounder which is looking like a top 5 pick, this will be a very dangerous team in the coming years (I say this assuming Tua is as good as they think he'll be, not fair to judge him based off this season)
You probably never thought they would be where they are at now after they traded Minkah Fitz last season.

kane

EOG master
You probably never thought they would be where they are at now after they traded Minkah Fitz last season.

Last year they started 0-7 and were getting blown out every week, the talk was how they might be one of the worst teams of all time, but then something happened and they started playing well and winning some games, they ended last year 5-4, so after being talked about as one of the worst teams ever, they've gone 15-10 since. After years of bad hires they finally hit on a coach, the job Bryan Flores has done in such a short amount of time is extremely impressive, and like I said, they have a bunch of picks coming up, but it all hinges on Tua, if he's the QB they think he'll be, they will be a dangerous team going forward, if Tua turns out to be average, then they're in trouble, because without a franchise QB nothing else matters

Valuist

EOG Master
How's this for a beatdown? Baltimore ran for 404 yards. Brandon Allen of the Bengals threw for 48.

The Bears offense is actually better than their quickly falling defense.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
How's this for a beatdown? Baltimore ran for 404 yards. Brandon Allen of the Bengals threw for 48.

The Bears offense is actually better than their quickly falling defense.
Jax is getting a beatdown also. J Taylor over 100 and a TD already.

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
I went Aaron Jones under 63 1/2 yards. Considering he's nursing 2 injuries and Dillon looked good last week, no reason to give him a bunch of carries. I also like Michael Gallup under 49 1/2 receiving yards and Austin Hooper over 36 1/2 receiving yards.

Wow! no one has made a comment on this post? Three "easy" wins Ha Ha. Jones had 42 rushing yds. WINNER. Gallup had 49 yds. WINNER by half a yard. Hooper had 37 yds. Another WINNER by a half a yard. WOW Valuist wins two photo finishes and goes 3-0. Well done sir.

MrTop

EOG Master
Wow! no one has made a comment on this post? Three "easy" wins Ha Ha. Jones had 42 rushing yds. WINNER. Gallup had 49 yds. WINNER by half a yard. Hooper had 37 yds. Another WINNER by a half a yard. WOW Valuist wins two photo finishes and goes 3-0. Well done sir.

true.. i don't bet props.. very well done by valuist

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I wasn't going to jinx his play on Jones. I was so pissed off watching the game, same old Bears.

Nice hit Valuist.

alfie

EOG Dedicated
Last year they started 0-7 and were getting blown out every week, the talk was how they might be one of the worst teams of all time, but then something happened and they started playing well and winning some games, they ended last year 5-4, so after being talked about as one of the worst teams ever, they've gone 15-10 since. After years of bad hires they finally hit on a coach, the job Bryan Flores has done in such a short amount of time is extremely impressive, and like I said, they have a bunch of picks coming up, but it all hinges on Tua, if he's the QB they think he'll be, they will be a dangerous team going forward, if Tua turns out to be average, then they're in trouble, because without a franchise QB nothing else matters

jmo- tua has not improved. against the bills he was awful in the biggest game of the year. he would of been pulled again if fitz could play. next years schedule is much tougher. he better show something or they got trouble..........

ZzyzxRoad

EOG Dedicated
Weird footnote, I was talking to someone I week ago and I asked if there had ever been a half where neither team called a timeout. It seems like it would be very, very rare since someone always has to burn at least one. Baltimore-Cincy 1st half didn't have a timeout.
Anyone have any idea how often this happens?

kane

EOG master
jmo- tua has not improved. against the bills he was awful in the biggest game of the year. he would of been pulled again if fitz could play. next years schedule is much tougher. he better show something or they got trouble..........

Tua played behind an offensive line with 3 rookies, his top 2 running backs were drafted in the 7th round and an undrafted free agent, his wideouts had the 3rd highest amount of dropped passes and were 27th in YAC, they have one legit receiver, but he's always hurt, and 1 good tight end. How about we get the kid some weapons to work with before judging him. If you took all of the Dolphins skill position players and compared them around the league, they'd easily be bottom 5, probably bottom 3, but we're gonna judge Tua based on a giant 10 game sample size, and with an offense devoid of talent. So funny listening to irrational Dolphin fans, I wonder what Bills fans were thinking about Josh Allen after his rookie season, and what they think of him now, he didn't have a good rookie year, his second year his numbers improved, and this year he's a top 5 MVP candidate. Now I'm not saying Tua follows the same path, but how about we give the kid more than one year before rushing to judgement

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Tua played behind an offensive line with 3 rookies, his top 2 running backs were drafted in the 7th round and an undrafted free agent, his wideouts had the 3rd highest amount of dropped passes and were 27th in YAC, they have one legit receiver, but he's always hurt, and 1 good tight end. How about we get the kid some weapons to work with before judging him. If you took all of the Dolphins skill position players and compared them around the league, they'd easily be bottom 5, probably bottom 3, but we're gonna judge Tua based on a giant 10 game sample size, and with an offense devoid of talent. So funny listening to irrational Dolphin fans, I wonder what Bills fans were thinking about Josh Allen after his rookie season, and what they think of him now, he didn't have a good rookie year, his second year his numbers improved, and this year he's a top 5 MVP candidate. Now I'm not saying Tua follows the same path, but how about we give the kid more than one year before rushing to judgement
He gets graded harder because they were likely playoff team with Fitz. The dirty little secret abut Fitz is he has thrown up his share of clunkers in the past also.

kane

EOG master
He gets graded harder because they were likely playoff team with Fitz. The dirty little secret abut Fitz is he has thrown up his share of clunkers in the past also.

Everyone loves Fitz, and I like him too, he's well respected across the league and is fun to watch play. But, there's a reason he's played for 8 different teams in a 16 year career. The Dolphins were in a weird spot this year, the plan all along was to have Fitz start the first handful of games, then turn the keys over to Tua, which is exactly the way it played out, what wasn't expected however was the team to be good enough to be fighting for the playoffs, had they been a 7-9 team there's no controversy, Tua's the guy going forward and that's it, being better than expected made things a bit sticky since Fitz seemingly gives them their best chance to win, but you're also trying to develop your QB of the future at the same time, tough spot for them to be in. I'd like to have Fitz back next year, but Tua will be the starter, there's no question about that

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Everyone loves Fitz, and I like him too, he's well respected across the league and is fun to watch play. But, there's a reason he's played for 8 different teams in a 16 year career. The Dolphins were in a weird spot this year, the plan all along was to have Fitz start the first handful of games, then turn the keys over to Tua, which is exactly the way it played out, what wasn't expected however was the team to be good enough to be fighting for the playoffs, had they been a 7-9 team there's no controversy, Tua's the guy going forward and that's it, being better than expected made things a bit sticky since Fitz seemingly gives them their best chance to win, but you're also trying to develop your QB of the future at the same time, tough spot for them to be in. I'd like to have Fitz back next year, but Tua will be the starter, there's no question about that

Fitz was far better late in his career, actually the perfect backup.

The best thing for Miami now is to have Fields play well vs Bama. Having a top qb at 1.3 in their position, they can extort some great picks from a desparate team wanting to move up. I would think the BYU QB will be top 3-5 also.

kane

EOG master
Fitz was far better late in his career, actually the perfect backup.

The best thing for Miami now is to have Fields play well vs Bama. Having a top qb at 1.3 in their position, they can extort some great picks from a desparate team wanting to move up. I would think the BYU QB will be top 3-5 also.

I agree, odds are there there will be at least a couple of teams willing to overpay to move up to take a QB, the Fins can then move down a handful of spots and still get the playmaking receiver they so desperately need. If they play this right, this could end up being a great draft for them

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I agree, odds are there there will be at least a couple of teams willing to overpay to move up to take a QB, the Fins can then move down a handful of spots and still get the playmaking receiver they so desperately need. If they play this right, this could end up being a great draft for them
It's perfect for them as Atlanta is 1.4, pretty good chance they take a QB there.

I definitely think the Dolphins are well set up, going to be like old times with the Bills and Dolphins fighting it out for the division. Bills had the patience to let things develop, I'm sure Flores and the staff are looking to replicate the same path. They might even stockpile receivers in later rounds because you can find a lot of contributors in rounds 3 to 5 and then pounce when a guy like Diggs is offered up in a trade. While having a playmaker would certainly make Tua look better right now, I think its better to make sure the lines and the secondary are fully set first. With Sewell probably being there at #3 and maybe not a few spots back, I don't know if I make that trade unless someone is offering me silly draft capital for it.

kane

EOG master
I definitely think the Dolphins are well set up, going to be like old times with the Bills and Dolphins fighting it out for the division. Bills had the patience to let things develop, I'm sure Flores and the staff are looking to replicate the same path. They might even stockpile receivers in later rounds because you can find a lot of contributors in rounds 3 to 5 and then pounce when a guy like Diggs is offered up in a trade. While having a playmaker would certainly make Tua look better right now, I think its better to make sure the lines and the secondary are fully set first. With Sewell probably being there at #3 and maybe not a few spots back, I don't know if I make that trade unless someone is offering me silly draft capital for it.

If they stay at 3 they have a dilemma, it seems too high to take a WR, but I don't want another offensive lineman with the first pick, I know Sewell is supposed to be a generational type talent, but last year they drafted a lineman in the 1st, 2nd, and 4th rounds, and all of them saw significant action this past year, of course being rookies they had their ups and downs, but after taking three offensive lineman last year, I don't want another first rounder to go that direction as well, maybe they can find a guy later in the draft to help, but I'd rather see if the three guys they took last year can improve before taking another O-lineman that high

That's been floating around since the rumors hit that he was considering asking for a trade. Still a top 10 QB in the NFL is nearly priceless, lots of teams would trade for Watson if they could make the money work. Tua might be one of the more viable players they could ask for as opposed to just a bounty of draft picks which creates a really long path to success. I mean if you are getting a 1st for 2024 out of a deal, that's a guy that probably doesn't really produce for you until 7-8 years from now.

kane

EOG master
I have no idea if the Dolphins would have any interest or if they'd rather stick with the plan they have, but if they wanted Watson, they have the assets the Texans would want back, a young QB plus some nice draft picks

alfie

EOG Dedicated
I have no idea if the Dolphins would have any interest or if they'd rather stick with the plan they have, but if they wanted Watson, they have the assets the Texans would want back, a young QB plus some nice draft picks

why did chan leave?

a carousel of oc's aint good for a rookie qb......

kane

EOG master
Not sure if his leaving was on him or mutual, and I agree it's not good constantly changing OC's, but I think they want to find a guy best suited to help Tua (assuming he's a Dolphin and not a Texan) an OC who could exploit the things he does well

alfie

EOG Dedicated
Not sure if his leaving was on him or mutual, and I agree it's not good constantly changing OC's, but I think they want to find a guy best suited to help Tua (assuming he's a Dolphin and not a Texan) an OC who could exploit the things he does well

if they trade tua aren't they conceding the pick didn't pan out?

kane

EOG master
if they trade tua aren't they conceding the pick didn't pan out?

No, if they trade Tua it's because they're getting one of the best QB's in the league, QB's like Watson in their prime don't hit the trade market too often, I wouldn't look at it as a knock on Tua