Not many ‘61 Yankees left 😥

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
First team I followed growing up .

Whitey Ford, a Hall of Famer for the New York Yankees who won more World Series games than any other pitcher, died at the age of 91, the Yankees announced Friday.

A family member told The Associated Press on Friday that Ford died at his Long Island home Thursday night. Ford had suffered from the effects of Alzheimer's disease in recent years.

Manager Aaron Boone told reporters Friday that Ford died, with his family by his side, while watching the Yankees beat the Tampa Bay Rays in Game 4 of the ALDS.

"I feel like there was some comfort in that," Boone said.

Heim

EOG Master
Mantle and Ford did a lot of drinking and partying in those days. However, unlike now where everything is recorded, the press gave them their privacy.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Mantle and Ford did a lot of drinking and partying in those days. However, unlike now where everything is recorded, the press gave them their privacy.

Absolutely...back then what the players did was kept out of the press....booze and women were the norm after the games....

Well what else would you expect, Ford was 91. Good comment about those old timers still following the team. Wonder what some of them would think about these teams who win titles after buying a bunch of players. At least for now the top teams are mostly homegrown players, but someday soon enough a team is going to go like the Lakers and bring in a bunch of money seeking carpetbaggers and win a title, wonder what old school players will think of that?

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Well what else would you expect, Ford was 91. Good comment about those old timers still following the team. Wonder what some of them would think about these teams who win titles after buying a bunch of players. At least for now the top teams are mostly homegrown players, but someday soon enough a team is going to go like the Lakers and bring in a bunch of money seeking carpetbaggers and win a title, wonder what old school players will think of that?

Interesting list of the living members of WS champs from 1947-1973. Yes, there is still a 1947 Yankee champ still alive.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/...s-winning_teams#1951_New_York_Yankees_.282.29

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted
I went to a 61 Yankees reunion sponsored by the late and not-so-great "Mr. Mint" in Atlantic City about 30 years ago. Maris, Howard, and Maas were gone by then, but I think all others attended, excepting Deron Johnson (dying of lung cancer), Frankie Crosetti (too old), and Tony Kubek (refused to come), Great hitting team, but pitching, aside from Ford, was a bit shaky.

By the mjd 70s, pitcher Jim Coates was working construction building the Washington Metro by day ahd playing softball on the Tidal Basin fields at night.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
When I was younger and worked at my first job at a pharmacy, the owner (was like 70) at the time said he hung out with Mantle at a bar all night one time. Said he was such a good guy who drank to mask the pain in his knee and body.

Jesus, that was like 20 years ago.

papa 5

EOG Veteran
Mantle had a brother and his father die at an early age, so he didn't think he would live long either. Hence his famous quote on his 50th birthday " if I knew I would live this long I would have kept better care of myself".

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted
When I was younger and worked at my first job at a pharmacy, the owner (was like 70) at the time said he hung out with Mantle at a bar all night one time. Said he was such a good guy who drank to mask the pain in his knee and body.

Jesus, that was like 20 years ago.

Mantle seemed like a pretty good guy, but he drank because he was an alcoholic, Sadly, when Mantle quit drinking very late in life, the regeneration of his liver also caused cancer cells to grow which killed him.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Mantle seemed like a pretty good guy, but he drank because he was an alcoholic, Sadly, when Mantle quit drinking very late in life, the regeneration of his liver also caused cancer cells to grow which killed him.
I went to school with someone who has liver cancer. His goal is to see his daughter graduate in June.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
I met him once in an office building, he wasn't drunk, and he couldn't have been nicer. He stopped, talked and signed a picture....that his agent had on him. I definitely saw the good Mickey, and I'm happy that I have that memory.