Oaklawn Park

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I knew when I was 15 years old that I was going to work at the racetrack, says Vic.

Vic has an eighth-grade education.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
"Be a contrarian" is Vic's best single piece of handicapping advice for a newcomer.

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
And there's the Vic quote BLUE highlighted:

Horse race handicapping is about one thing: MAKING MONEY.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Vic considers himself more of a play-by-play announcer than an announcer with a racing analyst background.

No opinions during the race call, just a report of the action.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Favorite wager: Win bet.

Favorite horse: Hal's Hope.

Favorite track: Hollywood Park (RIP).

Vic was the announcer at Hollywood Park for the last 13 years of its existence.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
My favorite line: When you bet a superfecta, you're trying to pick the winner of the race and three losers.

Tough task.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
If you have 150 horseplayers in a handicapping tournament, Vic estimated there would be about 12 serious contenders.

They've studied the format and they know what it takes to win.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Vic's deep background in the sport (jock's agent, assistant trainer, racing official, owner, etc.) allows him to handicap from a varied perspective.

He says trainer/owner intent is critical.

blueline

EOG Master
Chris Fallica ."..the bear" in the ESPN college football world.... said today he would have taken down 144K in the pick6 @ AQU yesterday if the 8 had won the finale but apparently lost at the wire...have to watch that replay

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The 1-2 finishers were extremely wide on the first turn.

Winner was best but barely.

The 7-10 favorite Authorize set the pace but tired to finish eighth in a field of nine.

blueline

EOG Master
I used to have early energey distribution and FR# to deal with horses stretching out....this week all I had was Thorograph and my instincts.....its been a nice week....has me intrigued about betting thoroughbred racing again

blueline

EOG Master
I looked at my account and other than tracks I visited my only thoroughbred bets of any recency were a bet at MVR last month and at GG in August

Happy New Year trytrytry

blueline

EOG Master
OP 6th the #5 has the fastest TG number of those who have run......12/1 MLO.....obviously have to deal with FTS and a full field..this trainers 2nd time starters usually move forward ..negative its a ground-loaded number...see what happens

blueline

EOG Master
factoring in ground loss it improves the number.......the horse according to the comments was 5 wide on the turn

blueline

EOG Master
she will come back with another ok number that will be ground-loaded....drop in for a tag @ OP or take her back home to louisiana for easier competition.....staying at the same level @ OP with her current ability she will likely run into more good first-starters....