Off-Topic: Does God Control Hurricanes?

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
Do you believe God controls the weather or does he put it on some sort of automatic cruise control? So many people will resort to prayer in times of turbulence, do they really believe it will help? Or is it like all the guys on death row that convert before their executions- some sort of insurance against hell?

Hurricanes are intense low pressure areas that form over warm ocean waters in the summer and early fall. Their source of energy is water vapor which is evaporated from the ocean surface. Water vapor is the "fuel" for the hurricanes because it releases the "latent heat of condensation" when it condenses to form clouds and rain, warming the surrounding air. (This heat energy was absorbed by the water vapor when it was evaporated from the warm ocean surface, cooling the ocean in the process.) Usually, the heat released in this way in tropical thunderstorms is carried away by wind shear, which blows the top off the thunderstorms. But when there is little wind shear, this heat can build up, causing low pressure to form. The low pressure causes wind to begin to spiral inward toward the center of the low. These winds help to evaporate even more water vapor from the ocean, spiraling inward toward the center, feeding more showers and thunderstorms, and warming the upper atmosphere still more. The showers and thunderstorms where all of this energy is released are usually organized into bands (sometimes called "rainbands" or "feeder bands"), as well as into an "eyewall" encircling the center of the storm. The eyewall is where the strongest winds occur, which encircle the warmest air, in the eye of the hurricane. This warmth in the eye is produced by sinking air, which sinks in response to rising air in the thunderstorms. The winds diminish rapidly moving from the eyewall to the inside of the relatively cloud-free eye, where calm winds can exist.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
THE SHRINK said:
Hurricanes are intense low pressure areas that form over warm ocean waters in the summer and early fall. Their source of energy is water vapor which is evaporated from the ocean surface. Water vapor is the "fuel" for the hurricanes because it releases the "latent heat of condensation" when it condenses to form clouds and rain, warming the surrounding air. (This heat energy was absorbed by the water vapor when it was evaporated from the warm ocean surface, cooling the ocean in the process.) Usually, the heat released in this way in tropical thunderstorms is carried away by wind shear, which blows the top off the thunderstorms. But when there is little wind shear, this heat can build up, causing low pressure to form. The low pressure causes wind to begin to spiral inward toward the center of the low. These winds help to evaporate even more water vapor from the ocean, spiraling inward toward the center, feeding more showers and thunderstorms, and warming the upper atmosphere still more. The showers and thunderstorms where all of this energy is released are usually organized into bands (sometimes called "rainbands" or "feeder bands"), as well as into an "eyewall" encircling the center of the storm. The eyewall is where the strongest winds occur, which encircle the warmest air, in the eye of the hurricane. This warmth in the eye is produced by sinking air, which sinks in response to rising air in the thunderstorms. The winds diminish rapidly moving from the eyewall to the inside of the relatively cloud-free eye, where calm winds can exist.
So , you are in the first group Ken? The group that thinks God puts the weather and hurricanes in the auto-pilot cruise control and lets the hurricanes, typhoons and tornadoes go wherever they want? P.S. As of 4:31 PM Eastern Hurricane Rita upgraded to a Category 5 Hurricane! P.S. II God watching with much anticipation!

I've always leaned towards the idea that God is a "hands-off" type of God.

In the end people are what make the world what it is...the world we live in. And yet people still blame God for things that are entierly of man's own doing.

The General

Another Day, Another Dollar
Of course God controls everything, but there is a little fella, Satan, who tries to make us doubt.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
The General said:
Of course God controls everything, but there is a little fella, Satan, who tries to make us doubt.
Controls everything? Or permits everything? I do not know, just asking older, wiser people.

X

xpanda

As an atheist, I'll sign up for the 'no, god doesn't control hurricanes' camp.

Maybe Buddha or Allah has something to do with them??

:D

Although I am a Believer, I do have more respect for Atheists compared to Agnostics, who are to chicken to make up their own mind!

THE SHRINK

Agnostics say there is a chance that there is a God. Atheists shut out the possibility of a God altogether. I guess life forming from nothing is more believable than believing in a Creator.

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
THE SHRINK said:
Although I am a Believer, I do have more respect for Atheists compared to Agnostics, who are to chicken to make up their own mind!

THE SHRINK
I am a proud agnostic. Thanks for your support Ken! Now I am sure I am correct in my beliefs! LOL!

X

xpanda

Truthteller said:
Agnostics say there is a chance that there is a God. Atheists shut out the possibility of a God altogether. I guess life forming from nothing is more believable than believing in a Creator.

Not exactly correct. Agnostics definitely believe that there is something, they just don't know what that is. Atheists don't care one way or another. Not believing in something isn't synonymous with a closed mind toward it.

xpanda said:
Not exactly correct. Agnostics definitely believe that there is something, they just don't know what that is. Atheists don't care one way or another. Not believing in something isn't synonymous with a closed mind toward it.

This is from Webster "one who is not committed to believing in either the existence or the nonexistence of God or a god"

My cousin who attends Yale was an agnostic and believed exactly as the above. When he got into Yale I don't know what changed but basically he said there are too many holes to believe there isn't a creator.

I have never met an Atheist who was open minded enough to say that there might be just a slight chance there is a Creator.

X

xpanda

Then we should meet.
Definition of an atheist: "One who disbelieves or denies the existence of God or gods."

Being in 'disbelief' doesn't necessarily translate into 'a belief that there is no god.' Personally, I'm extremely skeptical, but understand that I could be proven wrong.

And I'm inclined to think that most religious people are more closed-minded on the subject than atheists. Are you at all open-minded to the idea that your beliefs might be wrong?

(Nice to banter with you again, btw. :))

Sam Odom

EOG Master
As far as "Creation" goes, if you continue to go backwards in 'time' far enough at one point something supernatural had to have happen. It is at this supernatural occurrence where the battle line is drawn.

<DIR>su?per?nat?u?ral 1. Of or relating to existence outside the natural world. 2. Attributed to a power that seems to violate or go beyond natural forces.

</DIR>

dirty

EOG Master
Agreed Xpanda

I am a agnostic I reckon...

Organized Religion is not only unhealthy it is also the Cause of almost every major conflict in the world....EVER.

I believe that If thier is a supreme being that....as Christians believe...you should not be scared into believing he exists....Total Damnation into Hell and Burn forever... You don't demand Respect you Earn it...

Also What kind of Father would not Sacrafice Himself instead of His son??? Kinda Like Suicide Bombers....The leaders of these fanatics never strap a Bomb to themselves..why would anyone else...AS a Father of 2 Boys...I would never let them Sacrafice my son's for anything...But God let his be Sacraficed on the Cross and did nothing...

don't give me this crap of Eternal Life....he asks you to have Faith in him But what exactly does he give you in this world that is so great you couldn't have had it without him???? hard to have Faith in Someone that TElls you if you don't believe the way that He does...then you will Burn forever...

Another thing is How do we know the Bible is Right....There are over 200 Books that were written not in the King's James Bible....We are taught the Religion that King james wanted us to know...How do we know He is Right....He more than likely isn't...

Christianity is also the 2nd newest Religion in the world......Forgive me If I don't believe that All Hindus, Bhuddists,Jews and other Older Religions are going to Hell becuase they don't believe the way the Christians go....Christianity is the Most Arrogant Religion to ever Exist on this planet...

If a Rapist or Child Molester can repent on his deathbed and take Jesus Christ as his savior and get to heaven...And I don't do anything bad and try to live my life right and don't believe and I don't get to heaven....Then Why in the Hell would you want to be there to start with???

opotus

EOG Veteran
Sam Odom said:
One believes because of faith and that faith is a gracious gift from God.

Understood.

But for me personally, that is a circular argument: "I believe because I have faith; and I have faith because I believe."

Sam Odom

EOG Master
opotus said:
But for me personally, that is a circular argument: "I believe because I have faith; and I have faith because I believe."

A lot of stuff in life is 'circular logic.'

ZZ, hope your having a good day.MAY'N!!
AND you know GWB controls hurricanes. I wonder who he will pick on this time.
ALSO, SHRUNK don't know chit about hurricanes. Except that the power goes out and he can't get to the forum. FREE WILL what a bozo!! LOLOLOLOLO!!!:+peeing-2

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master
TONY MONTANA said:
ZZ, hope your having a good day.MAY'N!!
AND you know GWB controls hurricanes. I wonder who he will pick on this time.
ALSO, SHRUNK don't know chit about hurricanes. Except that the power goes out and he can't get to the forum. FREE WILL what a bozo!! LOLOLOLOLO!!!:+peeing-2
You're right , as usual Tony! W is already counting the number of his buddies ready to roll in and repair the damages for the low, low, mark-up of 5 or 6 HUNDRED percent! That's the American/Republican way! And let's not forget our good friends , the Saudis - first, they bomb New York and the Pentagon and George kisses their asses and now george attacks iraq, raising Saudi profits a 1000 fold on their oil and that was before the bogus raping of the world through these hurricanes! Thanks Tony, have a great day!