Ohtani AL Rookie Of The Year....

Heim

EOG Master
He came on late and did something nobody has ever done since the Bambino. Argument can be made for any of the Yankee guys, nonetheless, deserving and a shot in the arm for MLB further entrenched in the Japanese market.

kane

EOG master
Glad Ohtani won it, maybe the two Yankees canceled each other out, either way good for Ohtani, and it's also good for the game

MrTop

EOG Master
this kid is pretty good. Not many pitchers could hit thru the years. Bumgarner and ken brett could that I could think of.

yisman

EOG Master
Rick Ankiel was one of the great talents. Too bad he got the Steve Sax syndrome.

Various pitchers could hit ok. There was another who was a pitcher and decided to try being a hitter instead. Played for Arizona.

Anyway, Ohtani deserved the ROY. What he did was far more unique than either of the Yankee duo.

Additionally, the argument for the Yankees was that they were "every day" and full time players. Andujar's defense was notably poor and Torres missed 39 games.

Ohtani was a better hitter than either one, playing in a pitchers' park to boot, plus of course he could pitch well.

yisman

EOG Master
Oh, I know Peralta. I was thinking of the guy who pitched in MLB first.

That would be Micah Owings. He pitched for six seasons (and did some pinch-hitting along the way), then went to the minor leagues to learn the outfield.

Career .813 OPS. Never made it back to the majors, which I find odd, because a team could've used him as a swiss army knife. Bat off the bench as well as available to pitch if they needed a pitcher.

It seems like Anahiem would pretty much have to use a DH to hit for this guy when he pitches, since he is not likely to pitch 9 innings, or am I missing something ?

in MLB, the Designated Hitter is a Designated Hitter for the pitcher, and no other position. So no player can be both a pitcher and designated hitter in the same game.
A couple of wrinkles to an otherwise simple rule (which may have already been mentioned):

• The DH is optional. Pitchers are free to bat at the team’s option. However, once a pitcher bats in a game, his team forfeits the DH option for the remainder of the game.

yisman

EOG Master
It seems like Anahiem would pretty much have to use a DH to hit for this guy when he pitches, since he is not likely to pitch 9 innings, or am I missing something ?

in MLB, the Designated Hitter is a Designated Hitter for the pitcher, and no other position. So no player can be both a pitcher and designated hitter in the same game.
A couple of wrinkles to an otherwise simple rule (which may have already been mentioned):

• The DH is optional. Pitchers are free to bat at the team’s option. However, once a pitcher bats in a game, his team forfeits the DH option for the remainder of the game.

They could use Ohtani to hit and pitch and then pinch hit for the pitcher's spot after he exits the game.

They would forfeit the DH spot but that would be acceptable if he can pitch 5 or 6, IMO.

Problem would be if he gets lit up and leaves the game early.

railbird

EOG Master
You're like the white Stephen A Smith.

Nothing but garbage constantly. And no way either of you believe 90% of the trash that comes out of your mouth.
my opinions are much better when people dont agree with me, thank you for disagreeing. when ppl agree with me, those plays eat shit