One possible explanation for the size of Jaime Harrison's defeat to Lindsay Graham In the 2020 South Carolina Senate race:

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
From an electoral-vote.com reader writing to their Sunday mailbag:

A.F. in Boiling Springs, SC, writes: Jaime Harrison would have easily won in South Carolina. He said he would never deceive the voters nor lie. His downfall is that he started running ads nonstop for Bill Bledsoe. Bill was a Constitutional Party candidate who withdrew, but after his name could be removed from the ballot. And at the end of ads saying to vote for Bledsoe, Harrison said, "I approve this message." People were so mad he was lying, they went out and voted straight Republican tickets, causing many good Democrats to lose across the state. (starting with "Jaime Harrison" bolding, underling and italicizing by me)

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
From an electoral-vote.com reader writing to their Sunday mailbag:

A.F. in Boiling Springs, SC, writes: Jaime Harrison would have easily won in South Carolina. He said he would never deceive the voters nor lie. His downfall is that he started running ads nonstop for Bill Bledsoe. Bill was a Constitutional Party candidate who withdrew, but after his name could be removed from the ballot. And at the end of ads saying to vote for Bledsoe, Harrison said, "I approve this message." People were so mad he was lying, they went out and voted straight Republican tickets, causing many good Democrats to lose across the state. (starting with "Jaime Harrison" bolding, underling and italicizing by me)
Why did Jaime get blamed for one "lie", when his opponent has been a non stop liar for the last 3.5 years since he started sucking the Idiot's tiny unit?

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
Why did Jaime get blamed for one "lie", when his opponent has been a non stop liar for the last 3.5 years since he started sucking the Idiot's tiny unit?

That's the illogic of South Carolina voters for you. I'm guessing they were looking for one small "excuse" to do what they've done for many elections and that was vote for Graham, logical or not.

Even though Graham's behavior was hypocritical, apparently, South Carolina voters considering voting for Harrison, reconsidered when Harrison undermined his own argument (Lindsay Graham is a hypocritical, craven liar) with his own hypocritical behavior, cynically advocating a vote for another rival (the Constitution Party candidate) instead of himself.

Frankly, it was dumb strategy by Harrison. I'm not writing that he would have won, but it most likely would have been closer. (Harrison never actually led in any polls outside the margin of error.) But close only counts in hand grenades and horseshoes.