Paul Goldschmidt to STL

yisman

EOG Master
last year of his contract

Arizona figured he would want too much money so they got rid of him.

Not a bad haul in return.

Heim

EOG Master
last year of his contract

Arizona figured he would want too much money so they got rid of him.

Not a bad haul in return.

Yup...Weaver is a fair replacement for Corbin. Unfortunately for the D-Backs LaRussa weighted the franchise down with the Greinke deal then
skipped town.

kane

EOG master
Yup...Weaver is a fair replacement for Corbin. Unfortunately for the D-Backs LaRussa weighted the franchise down with the Greinke deal then
skipped town.

Dave Stewart's trade for Shelby Miller was worse

raininthrees

Point Spread Nomad
Carpenter to third boosts defense tremendously, awesome name play to
fit team goals, which is rarely done.

Valuist

EOG Master
skipped town.

I don't know. Weaver looked good in limited starts in 2017 but was not good at all this past season. If I'm St. Louis, I make this trade every time. I guarantee you the Cubs and Brewers are not happy hearing about this trade. I would bet the Dodgers, Giants and Rockies are happy with it.

yisman

EOG Master
I don't know. Weaver looked good in limited starts in 2017 but was not good at all this past season. If I'm St. Louis, I make this trade every time. I guarantee you the Cubs and Brewers are not happy hearing about this trade. I would bet the Dodgers, Giants and Rockies are happy with it.

The Cubs and Brewers are not happy based on the 2019 season.

Goldschmidt is of course an upgrade for 2019 but then he becomes a FA and STL would have to overpay to keep a 32 year old 1B. STL gave up a bunch for a one year rental.

If we're basing it entirely on one season, it's a big win for STL. If we look long term, Arizona wins the trade based on current expectations and the fact that they weren't going to be able to afford to keep Goldschmidt. Weaver is 25, has significant potential, and will be under team control for six seasons.

Oh, and Arizona also got two more prospects and a draft pick.

This is similar to the Amari Cooper trade in that I'm surprised Arizona got this much for someone leaving anyway. In both cases, the contending team got the immediate boost but gave up more than I'd expect in future assets.

I guess what I can say for the Cards is at least they made the trade now rather than giving up a similar haul in July.

Last edited:

Valuist

EOG Master
The Cubs and Brewers are not happy based on the 2019 season.

Goldschmidt is of course an upgrade for 2019 but then he becomes a FA and STL would have to overpay to keep a 32 year old 1B. STL gave up a bunch for a one year rental.

If we're basing it entirely on one season, it's a big win for STL. If we look long term, Arizona wins the trade based on current expectations and the fact that they weren't going to be able to afford to keep Goldschmidt. Weaver is 25, has significant potential, and will be under team control for six seasons.

Oh, and Arizona also got two more prospects and a draft pick.

This is similar to the Amari Cooper trade in that I'm surprised Arizona got this much for someone leaving anyway. In both cases, the contending team got the immediate boost but gave up more than I'd expect in future assets.

I guess what I can say for the Cards is at least they made the trade now rather than giving up a similar haul in July.

Ok I was not aware of Goldschmidt's contract status. But the fact that the Cardinals would part with Weaver after one subpar season for a one year rental of Goldschmidt leads me to believe he might not be all that. In these types of calls, that organization has been right far often more than not.

alfie

EOG Dedicated
Ok I was not aware of Goldschmidt's contract status. But the fact that the Cardinals would part with Weaver after one subpar season for a one year rental of Goldschmidt leads me to believe he might not be all that. In these types of calls, that organization has been right far often more than not.
I think stl wants to sign him...they have the money....