Post-race analysis of the Kentucky Derby

Valuist

EOG Master
I still think Luís Sáez was herding, he’ll never admit it, and they let jockeys get away with it all the time.
Then it went bad and the 13 was sneaking through huge opening on rail and he dove down to try to get next to the 13.

If it was just the 7 and the 1 and he pushes him out 2 paths then nothing happens.

New York stewards have done nothing about herding the past few years. They haven't done anything to discourage it.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master
Ok, specifically what do they do that's worse than the rest? Are you saying they drug their horses, but they seldom get caught, but you're sure they do it?

I always hear this drug talk...rocket fuel drugs, etc, but racing speeds dont improve? If they were drugged they'd break records wouldn't they?

what did I tell y’all

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master
Good god.

They were the two biggest culprits. Just because there are some others it doesn’t mean they weren’t deserved Public enemies 1 and 2.

Next year why don't they have the horses all go out and run alone on the track and have these clown stewards watch and time each of them. Once all 20 have run the stewards can tell you who wins the Kentucky Derby. Because obviously the concept of deciding shit on the field doesn't apply to horse racing's biggest event

Holy shit, I guess I really hit this one lol.

And yeah, handle down over 50% and I really doubt they ever get back to the level they had in 2019 for awhile. I still believe telling tens of thousands of people nationwide who thought they had winning tickets that they had scraps of trash was going to sour a lot of people on betting on horses.

mr merlin

EOG Master
Holy shit, I guess I really hit this one lol.

And yeah, handle down over 50% and I really doubt they ever get back to the level they had in 2019 for awhile. I still believe telling tens of thousands of people nationwide who thought they had winning tickets that they had scraps of trash was going to sour a lot of people on betting on horses.
What % of that handle comes from the on track crowd typically? they pack in like 75000 dont they?

What % of that handle comes from the on track crowd typically? they pack in like 75000 dont they?

They get 140k+, but many of those people were still going to bet the Derby and did so elsewhere. I think maybe 20% down would have been reasonable, but 50% off is bad. Some of it had to be Nevada not being part of the pari-mutuel pool, but I think a big factor also so many tracks are closed right now to spectators so all the old geezers who like to go to the track or the OTB daily and refuse to get an ADW account just didn't bet it.

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
Is there any other explanation? Is it possible Churchill Downs does not want the Vegas bettors because they are too sharp??? Maybe, they want their own sharps to get value instead?