Predict (if)-(when) we'll see MLB?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
MLB earlier today went from a two-week suspension to being suspended indefinitely.

The new Opening Day is a good prop.

Great time to experiment with some sort of three-month tournament with lots of elimination games or elimination series.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Actually the official putback is at least 8 weeks, but if they don't start by mid-May, I'll go -300 you will not see an official first pitch at all

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Would need a two week "spring training" period.

After that hopefully they just pick the schedule up from that point.

Would like to see some Saturday day/night double-headers league wide for divisional games.

Time will tell.

could NOT see mlb this season if this keeps spreading.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Actually the official putback is at least 8 weeks, but if they don't start by mid-May, I'll go -300 you will not see an official first pitch at all

I disagree. But that would be interesting as far as contracts. Mookie Betts has 1 year left until FA - this year. Kris Bryant has 2. If they don't play at all will Mookie be a FA or not? My guess is NOT but never discount what the MLBPA can do. I think they will start AFTER Memorial Day and there will be as few Interleague games as there can be so games are mostly against your own Division and League

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
TOKYO 2020 OLYMPICS OPENING CEREMONY TO TAKE PLACE ON 24/07/20 (CHANGE OF VENUE/NOT DECLARED OPEN = NO WINS)

Yes +194
No -250

jimmythegreek

I disagree. But that would be interesting as far as contracts. Mookie Betts has 1 year left until FA - this year. Kris Bryant has 2. If they don't play at all will Mookie be a FA or not? My guess is NOT but never discount what the MLBPA can do. I think they will start AFTER Memorial Day and there will be as few Interleague games as there can be so games are mostly against your own Division and League
If so, attendance would be way down due to close proximity and uncertainty, not to mention a significant cut in games played. While the nation will need this distraction, it won't feel the same after the preceding events already taken place

jimmythegreek

Bars at limited capacity -140. Given the slowly but surely coast is clear or return to some normalcy approach , a bar will limit capacity over a stadium or arena

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
BetOnline put up this Prop

1st MLB game takes place no later than August 1st

Yes -110
No -120

I took a shot on YES in the BB thread but no way I could and would bet real money on it

Sleepy

EOG Master
No reason they couldn't play in empty stadiums by mid May but with each fear mongering governor trying to out do each other than game may be done for good.

Valuist

EOG Master
IMO the drop dead date is July 15. This would be around the time the normal post All-Star game period would start. Any date later and they might as well shut it down until 2021.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I'd also take NO here for the max.

I think teams start back in Spring Training by mind-June. Go thru a month of "Spring Training" and play starts around mid-July without Interleague except the one series that has to take place since there are 15 teams in each league. I think we see an 81-ish game schedule. I also think rosters have to be increased to about 30 players AND I think MLB has to drop the rule requiring pitchers to face at least 3 hitters for this season. You just can't place that restriction on teams this season. Next season when things are back to normal - YES! But you can't do it in 2020

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
IMO the drop dead date is July 15. This would be around the time the normal post All-Star game period would start. Any date later and they might as well shut it down until 2021.

The drop-dead date?

I see what you did there.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
TOKYO 2020 OLYMPICS OPENING CEREMONY TO TAKE PLACE ON 24/07/20 (CHANGE OF VENUE/NOT DECLARED OPEN = NO WINS)

Yes +194
No -250

Thomas Bach, the president of the International Olympic Committee, said the Games can happen this summer, even as so many other events on the sports calendar have been postponed.

Source: The New York Times

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
I don't see why they could not play to empty ballparks. The TV audience would still be there! It's my favorite sport to follow right through the world series. I enjoy the stats, history and just the game itself. (I get those that don't share my passion)

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Why not? The Marlins do it 81 times a year

That's what I Tweeted the other day. Play games in Miami and Tamps. Even during "normal" times they struggle to draw 50+ unless Tamps is playing the Red Sox or Evil Empire

jimmythegreek

MLB around June 15th. 100 game season if they could manage with no interleague. Limited travel days after series completion.

Valuist

EOG Master
Let's say that somewhere down the line, late spring, both the NBA and MLB start back up. Who is going to go to the games? Many of the so-called "recovered", will actually still be recovering. And if you make it thru with out catching the virus, are you going to want to take that risk? Not if you have a brain in your head.

I think the season for both is done.