Predict (if)-(when) we'll see MLB?

dogball

EOG Master
NBA / NHL done
I believe MLB on or around July 4 with no fans is possible.
China the epicenter of the virus reopens now, will be telling there infection rate
if a month model knocks this out. Logistically more issues here people traveling from all
over but I think NFL plays their season

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
MLB--June 1---new schedule. No inter league.

In order for that to happen they would need to start Training by early May. Not gonna happen

I think we are looking at around mid-June for MLB and starting up around July 15 to July 31. Somewhere in that period

unluckysob

EOG Dedicated
In order for that to happen they would need to start Training by early May. Not gonna happen

I think we are looking at around mid-June for MLB and starting up around July 15 to July 31. Somewhere in that period
Disagree. They only need 2 or 3 weeks to get ready. My guess players are working out somewhere right now. I'm sure pitchers are throwing.

railbird

EOG Master
NBA / NHL done
I believe MLB on or around July 4 with no fans is possible.
China the epicenter of the virus reopens now, will be telling there infection rate
if a month model knocks this out. Logistically more issues here people traveling from all
over but I think NFL plays their season

China and their death rates and infections rates are all lies, that's what godless commies do

Valuist

EOG Master
This is a double edged sword. First is the health factor, which is obvious. Sick people won't go to games, those still recovering aren't going to go to games. And people that don't get sick? They likely won't be wanting to be around many germ carriers.

The second is the economic factor. They are talking about unemployment spiking to 20%. Many businesses will fail; discretionary income will be way down. Many won't be able to go, even if they wanted to go. There's a chance the NFL and college football will be able to have their seasons. But even those aren't certainties.

railbird

EOG Master
This is a double edged sword. First is the health factor, which is obvious. Sick people won't go to games, those still recovering aren't going to go to games. And people that don't get sick? They likely won't be wanting to be around many germ carriers.

The second is the economic factor. They are talking about unemployment spiking to 20%. Many businesses will fail; discretionary income will be way down. Many won't be able to go, even if they wanted to go. There's a chance the NFL and college football will be able to have their seasons. But even those aren't certainties.

people have never been healthier. econ factor yes

Valuist

EOG Master
people have never been healthier. econ factor yes

2-3 months from now? We have no idea. There could easily be lasting repercussions. Many who "recovered" from SARS had their immune systems compromised and many ended up getting cancer. We know this virus is 80% genetically similar to SARS. Nobody believes the China numbers so it's hard to take anything they say seriously. South Korea? Too new to know any side effects.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
was the idea of the nba playing all their games in one city thrown out there.

i heard something about this in passing from espn sportscenter.

so what north dakota city are they looking at?

waco

EOG Dedicated
I don't see why they could not play to empty ballparks. The TV audience would still be there! It's my favorite sport to follow right through the world series. I enjoy the stats, history and just the game itself. (I get those that don't share my passion)
No fans but will have 40 players side by side in a dugout. This doesn't make sense unless the players are spaced in the stands.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
Good Point, I missed! Heard the Comish talking yesterday. I think we'll have a season but it may be June-July before it starts if at all.

cheapseats

EOG Master
No fans but will have 40 players side by side in a dugout. This doesn't make sense unless the players are spaced in the stands.
If the players are tested and found ok, there are precautions that would be safe. At some pint, any point in the future you're going to have to make an effort to return to more normalized living.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
So MLB and the MLBPA came to an agreement today, No baseball until:

-no travel restrictions in US and Canada
-unspecified "medical professionals" say no health risks for "players, staff, or fans"

And...

-no bans on mass gatherings that would allow games to take place in front of fans.

So in other words no baseball in 2020....

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
S P, I don't know... Just listening to commissioner Rob Manfred speaking a couple of days ago he, he sounded hopeful for a season late June -July. He may be a Trump clone..I have no idea. Just want to hear: PLAY BALL, but when it's safe

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
I think if there is a season, its without fans. The owners are giving a year of service time and would like to recoup some of that investment.

Someone said 5 Dimes had odds on the dates some sports start again, but i didn't see any mention of baseball in their post. If that's right, it's not encouraging.

High Times

EOG Master
We are 12-18 months away from a vaccine.

Zero chance of ever coming up with a vaccine.
You can't kill what isn't alive!
This is DNA that is mutating. It is protected by a thin layer of fat.
Nobody has ever seen anything like it ...... thus the extent of the shutting down everything.
For now it's the only way to stop it...

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
I saw on tv last night the photo of a woman that just turned 102 years old and has recovered from the virus. I think she is very healthy and I'm getting the strong sense that is the key to recovery no matter the age.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
When they study the deaths , I hope we get the full stats on exactly what underlying condition and the degree of such in a simple chart the public can understand.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Someone said 5 Dimes had odds on the dates some sports start again, but i didn't see any mention of baseball in their post. If that's right, it's not encouraging.

BetOnline has it:

By:

June 1: NO -1600/Yes +700
July 1: NO -350/+225
August 1: YES -170/NO +130

For August 1 I have some of:

YES -110.......then a few days ago took some: NO +125

Valuist

EOG Master
I heard somebody floated the idea of a 35 game schedule. That might be the dumbest sports idea I've ever heard. I hope they are listening, because any season less than 80 games is a total waste of time.

Valuist

EOG Master
BetOnline has it:

By:

June 1: NO -1600/Yes +700
July 1: NO -350/+225
August 1: YES -170/NO +130

For August 1 I have some of:

YES -110.......then a few days ago took some: NO +125

I'd do a straddle: Yes July 1 +225 and No August 1 at +125

waco

EOG Dedicated
If the players are tested and found ok, there are precautions that would be safe. At some pint, any point in the future you're going to have to make an effort to return to more normalized living.

Players will have to be tested every day then. who knows where a player will go after a game. Especially the single players.. Its either going to be fans or no game at all

kane

EOG master
The rest of the NBA and NHL seasons will be cancelled, the entire MLB season will also be cancelled. I'm hoping football will be played, but we're a long ways away from sports returning