Rainbow vs Railbird Head to Head Challenge

Re: Rainbow vs Railbird Head to Head Challenge

After that tennis loss, with only 3 plays remaining for railbird he's either going to have to go 3-0 or call some underdogs to win.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

King what is your beef with Railbird? Mind you I am a neutral observer but at least you can explain to the EOG family your feelings? Is it anything specific or do you just dislike his style?

man..to tell you the truth I was very surprised rail threw down that -130 this am..I guess he was`trying to grab a unit but this just was not the spot for that lay

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I'm enjoying this showdown.

I'm getting my $200 worth.

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

I'm really disappointed it wasn't Railbird with a .17 unit advantage going into the last 4 games. His betting two remaining games both sides at -105 would have been some REAL controversy for this thread.

bernardoincr

EOG Dedicated

sorry john. for me this thread is a joke. by elimination i'm crowning bernie the winner.:houra
this might go on till christmas if the mods don't push this along.

rainbow was a pro. he did his thing and done. the rest on and on. oh hum, nap time.

newport2

EOG Dedicated

King what is your beef with Railbird? Mind you I am a neutral observer but at least you can explain to the EOG family your feelings? Is it anything specific or do you just dislike his style?
I've seen the fukn bear dance! You are the biggest Rainbow hater on the internet. PLEASE. lol

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

sorry john. for me this thread is a joke. by elimination i'm crowning bernie the winner.:houra

rainbow was a pro. he did his thing and done. the rest on and on. oh hum, nap time.

Bernie, where do I send you the purse of $2,500?

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

I've seen the fukn bear dance! You are the biggest Rainbow hater on the internet. PLEASE. lol

Yes, but I make my reasoning clear. And I am consistent among several posters. King is all over Railbird and I demand to know WHY?

bernardoincr

EOG Dedicated

91023i2ndw;l:+textinb3 dept of transportation in costa rica. they can apply the money to help fix the streets and bridges

rainbow

EOG Master

Yes, but I make my reasoning clear. And I am consistent among several posters. King is all over Railbird and I demand to know WHY?
You are 100% correct about using the word CONSISTENT. Since this contest started, you have started 4 different threads about me. PS: I don't have the time to count the number of replies in just the 4 threads you started about me muchless the one's you didn't even start... Go look yourself in the mirror when you get time and ask yourself why do you LIE to yourself so much, thats the only person you are LYING to.

railbird

EOG Master

Because I asked why he doesnt come out of the closet. He has had an infatuation of me for 2 yrs.

BTW,

I will win.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

I don't have beef with Birdie (read JK's Friday Blog)- I just like to bust his balls.

I did bet against him in this contest, though, so I want him to lose.

Ha..he could pick a +160 winner today and take both sides of -110 tomorrow and start quite a controversy:devil:

railbird

EOG Master

pre set date of nba championship, Im going faster than I should as is. Get some patience and stop being a perpetual crybaby

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

Because I asked why he doesnt come out of the closet. He has had an infatuation of me for 2 yrs.

BTW,

I will win.

HE definitely has a hard on for you. If you are going to win then you must go 3-0 mostl likely. Good luck.

TomBrady#1

EOG Dedicated

I don't have beef with Birdie (read JK's Friday Blog)- I just like to bust his balls.

I did bet against him in this contest, though, so I want him to lose.

Fair enough. You REALLY like to bust his balls. LOL.

rainbow

EOG Master

HE definitely has a hard on for you. If you are going to win then you must go 3-0 mostl likely. Good luck.

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->My own Rainbow/Railbird thread, discussion, commentary, wisecracks, 2 cents, etc etc.....<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->What are we more excited about?.....NBA playoffs on the horizon, NHL playoffs very soon....MLB opening day this week...or our very own:

RAILBIRD VS RAINBOW head to head matchup???

I am on Railbird BIG. Trust me. I think the pressure will get to Rainbow and he will fall apart like a cheap watch. Book it.

BTW has anyone wanted this as bad as Rainbow? He has 168 posts on this very topic. Careful Rainbow, you might get what you wish for.

Good luck men.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->​

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

So what's the update after Rail's tennis selection?

Any over/under when Rail's next post in this thread is?

rainbow

EOG Master

Update on the contest.

Rainbow 27-23 +1.56 (0 pending 0 left)
Railbird 25-22 +.09 (0 pending 3 left)

kid44

EOG Dedicated

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->My own Rainbow/Railbird thread, discussion, commentary, wisecracks, 2 cents, etc etc.....<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->What are we more excited about?.....NBA playoffs on the horizon, NHL playoffs very soon....MLB opening day this week...or our very own:

RAILBIRD VS RAINBOW head to head matchup???

I am on Railbird BIG. Trust me. I think the pressure will get to Rainbow and he will fall apart like a cheap watch. Book it.

BTW has anyone wanted this as bad as Rainbow? He has 168 posts on this very topic. Careful Rainbow, you might get what you wish for.

Good luck men.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->​

TB is the biggest Rail nut hanger around. With back against the wall I am more worried for him than Rail. 'neutral observer'....................thank you for the chuckle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Nothing makes me laugh more than the idea of "pressure" affecting a handicapper's edge.

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

Nothing makes me laugh more than the idea of "pressure" affecting a handicapper's edge.

I see it all the time with what I do. I know you don't have much of a background in horse wagering, so tough to get into specifics. Doyle Brunson once quoted another poker player buddy of his with the line that went something like this- "if you have to think about the money, you're finished"
I think when it comes a time when money does matter, conservatism out trumps +EV. It's backwards, and it happens.

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

I see it all the time with what I do. I know you don't have much of a background in horse wagering, so tough to get into specifics. Doyle Brunson once quoted another poker player buddy of his with the line that went something like this- "if you have to think about the money, you're finished"
I think when it comes a time when money does matter, conservatism out trumps +EV. It's backwards, and it happens.

Not to take this off topic.....but kinda remembered it was Chip Reese and it was- “I can bet $100,000 and feel nothing,” he said in an interview with People magazine in 2003. “If you think about the money and what it means, you’re gone.”

He also attributed that to what made Stu Ungar the greatest, "because he didn't care, he "never, ever, ever cared."

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Yup, because not caring about the money increases your bets probability of winning.

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

Yup, because not caring about the money increases your bets probability of winning.

You're missing the point. It's about the wagering, not about the bets probability of winning. Not caring about the money helps in wagering decision making.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

I was joking around 2W. You're way more qualified than me and I understand the argument. Certainly pressure to settle up on Tuesday leads to rash wagering decisions on Monday night, but I find it hard to believe that it can erode your edge. Does the regular joe coin flipper have a lower win rate on MNF games than the Sunday afternoon ones because he is betting more money? I'm a skeptic, but as I said will defer to you since it's your profession and you're around it all day while I'm a lone ranger for the most part.

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

I was joking around 2W. You're way more qualified than me and I understand the argument. Certainly pressure to settle up on Tuesday leads to rash wagering decisions on Monday night, but I find it hard to believe that it can erode your edge. Does the regular joe coin flipper have a lower win rate on MNF games than the Sunday afternoon ones because he is betting more money? I'm a skeptic, but as I said will defer to you since it's your profession and you're around it all day while I'm a lone ranger for the most part.

If you equate pressure leading to conservatism, as I do, then Joe is more likely to bet the fave on MNF than the Dog if he's got a gun to his head. He may zone in on the edge more w/out the gun to his temple whether it be fav/dog Ov/Un. JK is familiar with group pick 6 tickets and the group dynamics involved, and I could go on forever on how the larger the pool, the more conservative some get with choices/eliminations.

Guy at the track loves a horse at 8/5. A guy at the track loves a horse at 20/1. You think his bankroll is weighted higher to the 20/1? You think it's even 50/50? For 99% it's weighted far more heavily to the 8/5, even though the 20/1 may have a 2X or more greater EV.

BTW......you're as qualified as any on the boards to argue this stuff.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

This is one explanation for winning streaks and losing streaks.

When you're winning, decisions seem to come more freely (NCAAB handicapper Alan Boston once described it as "flow"). You're not gambling for the money, you're gambling to be right. The money is a product of being right.

When you're losing, decisions become more difficult because you become less confident and more worried about a dwindling bankroll.

Winning begets winning and losing begets losing.

Interesting discussion, men.

It is really very simple. I have been gambling for longer than most of you folks have been around. The reason why few succeed, and most fail is really very simple. People gamble with money that they either cannot afford to lose, or have better uses for. Most gamblers think about money. There main goal is to win money. They get very upset if they lose. They go through great lengths to figure out what is the best wager, what are the best odds, ad nausiem. This is why they lose. They are only worried about their pocketbooks.

I could care less about the money. I have plenty of that. I have an account for gaming only. I do not need that money. That money means nothing to me, and will not change my lifestyle whether I win more, or lose it. I gamble for the kill. I could care less if I wager a friendly drink, or 10 large on a game. It the winning that gives me the high. People like myself who wager like this are normally winners because it does not matter financially if we lose. We are in the game for the high of winning, no matter what we win. My wife loves to play the slots. She plays nickel slots because of the thrill of winning, She could just as easily play the dollar slots, but she plays nickels because she like the thrill of winning. What she wins really does not matter. How much she wins really does not matter. She just likes winning.

I could care less who I beat. When my friends want to wager with me, it is always for a drink or two. Maybe a nice dinner. That is as far as I allow it to go, because I do not want them to get burned. I also enjoy telling them: "That is why you do not wager against me" when I win, which is rather often. That is the high I get. The drink always goes down smoother when I won it in a wager. That is what it is all about. As far as anyone goes, I could care less if they can afford to lose, or will swallow a gun if they lose. That is collateral damage to me. Nothing personal. Just business. Just like I handle most situations in my business life.

One other thing. You have to have a natural instinct to be a successful gambler. I know nothing about baseball. It bores me to death. I never seriously wager on it. When I do wager on it, to enter a contest, I simply see who is playing, what the odds are, how the teams have fared in the past week, and who is pitching. That is it.. This takes all of 5 minutes to do. My current record is 43-34. Certainly nothing to brag about, but still over 50%. That is because I have the natural instinct to win. Successful gamblers are born with it. Sure you can win without it, but it takes a hell of a lot more work. It is like anything else in life. If you are a natural in anything, it is going to be a lot easier for you to be successful. Many people think they are a natural, but they are not. If you cannot look at a game, check out the very basic stats, and break even over a period of time, you are NOT a natural.

IrishTim

EOG Dedicated

Solid points 2W. Plenty of convincing papers on favorite-longshot bias at the track and I see the argument. Weinke bet on Kansas -800 or whatever in the tournament because as hhe said, "he wanted to know what it felt like to win again" during a cold run, and he ended up costing himself 8 units. You also have to keep in mind the implied volatility of the 20/1, even with a huge EV, if you NEED a win, you're probably better off betting the 8/5 with a smaller edge. I can think of scenarios when going all in on a roulette spin with your net worth is the right move, because lose or don't play, you end up in the same place, but win and your quality of life or some other qualitative factor asymmetrically improves. So you're right and I back off my original position a bit on account of your argument, although I will maintain "pressure" is irrelevant in a contest where your wagering options are limited. Sure the score and # of bets remaining can and should influence your strategy, I wouldn't call that pressure.

Maybe I'm just ruthlessly analytical when it comes to the spread and total, but I don't understand the urge to bet the over or favorite at -110 as a "bailout" over a dog.then again, I've never gotten the urge to "squeeze out" the score of a game which apparently half the board does.

Tim, if someone "needs a win", they are in the wrong game. They will never succeed if they "Need" or "Have" to win. You bring up a very good point.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

Solid points 2W. Plenty of convincing papers on favorite-longshot bias at the track and I see the argument. Weinke bet on Kansas -800 or whatever in the tournament because as hhe said, "he wanted to know what it felt like to win again" during a cold run, and he ended up costing himself 8 units. You also have to keep in mind the implied volatility of the 20/1, even with a huge EV, if you NEED a win, you're probably better off betting the 8/5 with a smaller edge. I can think of scenarios when going all in on a roulette spin with your net worth is the right move, because lose or don't play, you end up in the same place, but win and your quality of life or some other qualitative factor asymmetrically improves. So you're right and I back off my original position a bit on account of your argument, although I will maintain "pressure" is irrelevant in a contest where your wagering options are limited. Sure the score and # of bets remaining can and should influence your strategy, I wouldn't call that pressure.

Maybe I'm just ruthlessly analytical when it comes to the spread and total, but I don't understand the urge to bet the over or favorite at -110 as a "bailout" over a dog.then again, I've never gotten the urge to "squeeze out" the score of a game which apparently half the board does.

that is impressive and will make you a more profitable player. good stuff tim.