Rays to move to Montreal... but only part-time?!?!

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
This is truly bizarre.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27016429/rays-explore-splitting-games-montreal

Cliffs: The Rays are going to look into playing early season games in Tampa and the rest in Montreal.

Supposedly this would require TWO new stadiums, one in each city, but the split timing would mean that neither stadium would need a retractable roof, thus lowering the cost for both projects. They would be out of Tampa before the rainy season and into Montreal after the worst of the cold spring weather.

The team's lease at Tropicana Field runs through 2027.

On the surface, I just don't see how this could possibly work. It's pretty much a "fuck you" to the fan bases in both cities. (well, at least what little fan base exists in Tampa.)

Also, where do you play playoff games?

There are SO many cities worthy of a full-time club IMO:

Nashville
Memphis
Charlotte
San Antonio
Omaha
Monterrey, Mexico

Memphis, Omaha and Monterrey would require only modest expansions to already-existing facilities, while the football stadiums in Charlotte and Nashville could easily house a club until a baseball stadium was finished. (like Mile High did with the Rockies in 1993-94.)

San Antonio of course has the Alamodome ready to go as well.

If this is legit, it's one of the more bizarre stories I've seen in the sports world this year.

MrTop

EOG Master
I like the idea. There are not enough fans to sell tickets for 81 games. Good question that was asked by EJD. Where do you play the playoff games? I don't know if any city could take in 81 games. The ones that are left anyway.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Playing in Tampa and Orlando makes far more sense. This reeks of a power play by MLB trying to get a new stadium from whoever will build one.

1968-69 the White Sox played some home games in Milwaukee.

MrTop

EOG Master
Orlando only an 1.5 hours. IMO if you cant sell baseball tickets in tampa you can't sell in orlando. I agree to make some sort of move part or full time along with looking at the tv popcorn income

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I like the idea. There are not enough fans to sell tickets for 81 games. Good question that was asked by EJD. Where do you play the playoff games? I don't know if any city could take in 81 games. The ones that are left anyway.

Playoff game site?

The cities could bid on the games.

More money for the teams and athletes.

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted
MLB should have NEVER put 2 teams in Florida without a decent stadium. Owners' greed. Best bet would have been 1 team in Orlando which is centrally located and booming. It is doubtful if smaller cities listed above could support mlb long term.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
MLB should have NEVER put 2 teams in Florida without a decent stadium. Owners' greed. Best bet would have been 1 team in Orlando which is centrally located and booming. It is doubtful if smaller cities listed above could support mlb long term.

Maybe not, but we don't know that, and Tampa and Montreal sure as hell can't so what's the harm in trying?

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Manfred says he's committed to the long-term viability of MLB in the Tampa Bay area.

Why?!?! Because Dick Vitale is a Rays fan??

The team has NO fan base. None. They can't even sell out playoff games. I get that the facility is a significant part of the problem, but does anyone think a new stadium will suddenly bring out the masses? Maybe there's something I'm missing but I just don't see it.

The article also speaks of a "rabid" Montreal fan base.

Huh?!?!

The Expos finished DEAD LAST in attendance the last SEVEN YEARS of their existence.

Either move the team to a city who wants it, (even if it's up the road to Orlando) or sell it to someone who will. This is a joke.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Writing was on the wall when Tropicana Field execs and brass closed the top tier of seats last season lowering their official capacity. Well I guess that means the Yankees lead is 2.5 games over Tampreal heading into tonight's action.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
St. Pete mayor now stepping in saying that the team needs the city’s permission to play any home game anywhere else prior to 2028, then saying “this all seems a bit silly.”

Amen.

Valuist

EOG Master
I vote for playoff games in Raleigh. If you look at a map of North America, Raleigh is about halfway between Montreal and Tampa. Of course Raleigh has absolutely zero attachment to the Rays, but I could see MLB thinking along those lines. It's kind of like Newman adjudicating between Kramer and Elaine over a bike. Rather than give it to one, Newman said the bike should be split in two.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I vote for playoff games in Raleigh. If you look at a map of North America, Raleigh is about halfway between Montreal and Tampa. Of course Raleigh has absolutely zero attachment to the Rays, but I could see MLB thinking along those lines. It's kind of like Newman adjudicating between Kramer and Elaine over a bike. Rather than give it to one, Newman said the bike should be split in two.

Hilarious.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Raleigh, North Carolina.

I believe Floyd the Barber in an episode of The Andy Griffith Show titled "Bookie Barber" took phone calls from Raleigh and as far away as Morehead City.

ComptrBob

EOG Master
I have a novel idea for the home field playoffs with TB/Montreal.

MLB should force a split-squad game with alternating innings. One in TB, one in Montreal, a coin flip would determine which site starts with the first inning.

Two gigantic gates. :)

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The games in Montreal could be broadcast in English and the games in Tampa could be broadcast in French.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
I'd love to defend the city but fans down here suck. They just do. In fact I think regional support in the south is by far the worst......

Certainly for baseball.

When this came out Rays were 12 games over .500 but next to last in attendance. Only team they are ahead of? Miami of course.

Why do fans not support the team? Good question.

The stadium sucks, too much other stuff to do, large groups of "fans" from other areas live here? Take your pick.

Funny thing is down here Little League baseball is one of the best areas in nation, both participation and support.

For some reason that doesn't translate into support for the Rays.

Hate to lose the team but the area deserves it, much more involved with the Lightning than they are the Rays for whatever reason.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR
Playoff game site?

The cities could bid on the games.

More money for the teams and athletes.

Haha... good question.

Maybe which location had the best record in the regular season?

If it's even an inter-squad playoff game for the playoffs, LOL. :)

Maybe which ever area on average has more fans attend the regular season games?

Sad it's come to this because I remember the long and protracted effort it took to get baseball down here.....

BenoitPaire2

EOG Veteran
I'd love to defend the city but fans down here suck. They just do. In fact I think regional support in the south is by far the worst......

Certainly for baseball.

When this came out Rays were 12 games over .500 but next to last in attendance. Only team they are ahead of? Miami of course.

Why do fans not support the team? Good question.

The stadium sucks, too much other stuff to do, large groups of "fans" from other areas live here?

Too much other stuff to do? In Tampa? That might be the most ridiculous things that been said on the whole topic so far.

MrTop

EOG Master
They want the tax payer to pay for the stadiums too. Owners said their hand is too short to reach their pocket.

Valuist

EOG Master
Too much other stuff to do? In Tampa? That might be the most ridiculous things that been said on the whole topic so far.

Is it? It's been over 20 years since I've been to Tampa, but there seemed like plenty to do. Many beaches, tons of golf courses, Disney World 1.5 hours away, Busch Gardens right there, two other pro teams in the Bucs and Lightning, as well as Tampa Bay Downs and Derby Lane.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
Is it? It's been over 20 years since I've been to Tampa, but there seemed like plenty to do. Many beaches, tons of golf courses, Disney World 1.5 hours away, Busch Gardens right there, two other pro teams in the Bucs and Lightning, as well as Tampa Bay Downs and Derby Lane.

Also Ybor City entertainment district, Hard Rock, great golf (as you mention.)

I always enjoy my visits to Tampa-St. Pete

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

I assumed he was kidding but maybe not, LOL. Lot of living in Mommy's basement types on these forums.....