Red Sox fire Dave Dombrowski, President of Baseball Operations

MrTop

EOG Master
Yes, he had to go.

How did they not make the playoffs?.

Red Sox last season killed it in the category of UNITS WON...not so in 2019.

Last edited by a moderator:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Tough crowd.

The Red Sox made the playoffs in each of the last three seasons under Dombrowski's direction.

Last season, the Red Sox finished the regular season 108-54 and then won 11 of 14 postseason games en route to a World Series title.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Yes, he had to go.

How did they not make the playoffs?.

Red Sox last season killed it in the category of UNITS WON...not so in 2019.

Mediocre pitching and bullpen. Hitting carried them like it did last year. No Sale for the last few month's. That probably didn't matter much, as he was mediocre all year. Pitching stepped up in the playoffs last year, that was the difference. Porcello's contract is up and Sandoval comes off the books. (He was one of the reasons the other GM was fired.)

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
They just gave Eovaldi 4 years and 68 milllion. He can’t get a batter out. The Price contract is terrible as well.

MrTop

EOG Master
tampa beating out boston was the end for him... the payroll difference is quite big & add that a WS. winner in 2018 .. the redsox owner wants to win just like krafts patriots

I bet he was getting calls elsewhere and they found out and decided its time to move on. He'll get hired this offseason to rebuild some other organization no doubt.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I bet he was getting calls elsewhere and they found out and decided its time to move on. He'll get hired this offseason to rebuild some other organization no doubt.

100% agree. He will be out of work for a very short period of time

He is married to former ESPN on-air person Karie Ross - and I can verify firsthand how stunning she was in her prime in the early 1990s

richsox24

EOG Master
How many fanbases would kill for a guy who got them a title? Or even got them to a Series like the Tigers?
When he came in ,the Red sox didnt need any rebuilding. They had tons of money to spend and had plenty of young talent coming up/just come up....Betts, Bogaerts, Benny, Devers, Bradley etc.

He's leaving boston with tons of bad contracts, and soon to be free agents that they now won't be able to sign because of that.

redsox have the $$$ . Like the owner said earlier this year, it does not make you win the W.S. but it helps.

Used to be true and it still helps a bit, but lots of teams without the money still make the playoffs.

I can imagine a team like the Rangers or the Mariners would be thinking if this is the guy they need. Rangers going to a new park will definitely have some dough to spend.

Jammer

EOG Dedicated
Cherington did the same thing. Had a lot of bad contracts, Castillo, Sandoval, Ramirez, and they canned him. Well, they brought Dombrowski in to oversee everything.

MrTop

EOG Master
theo did the same thing..... won it... then the bill was due... skipped town ... people in boston still looking for him

kane

EOG master
100% agree. He will be out of work for a very short period of time

He is married to former ESPN on-air person Karie Ross - and I can verify firsthand how stunning she was in her prime in the early 1990s

Karie Ross was a sports anchor in Miami when Dombrowski was GM of the Marlins, that's how they met, and you're right she was a hottie

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Karie Ross was a sports anchor in Miami when Dombrowski was GM of the Marlins, that's how they met, and you're right she was a hottie

1991 NIT post-season Finale. ESPN had a million tix for the game and told us anyone who wants some can have some. I had the day off so I got some. First-time in NYC for me. I sat about 3 rows from the court and close to mid-court. Sat next to Karie and Fred Gaudelli. Fred worked at ESPN at the time and they were dating. Seeing current pix of her now - she has "lost some MPH off her fastball" but she is not bad looking and her (legal age) daughters inherited Mom's looks, too. You can check out pix of her/them on Facebook