Ridiculous that Detroit is not odds-on to win the Stanley Cup yet

Miles better than Chicago and Carolina and a cut above Pittsburgh.

Anaheim was the toughest match-up for Detroit because they play killer defense and are very physical. Chicago plays too loose, has a weak goaltender, and not enough stars.

Pittsburgh is not as good as they were last season when they had Hossa. Kunitz has missed a lot of opportunities and Guerin is not the scorer that Hossa was. Gonchar is not playing at 100% and won't be and he is Pittsburgh's only offensive threat for a defenseman.

Carolina is just not good and I am somewhat surprised they made it this far. Never thought they would get past New Jersey in the first round.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
Re: Ridiculous that Detroit is not odds-on to win the Stanley Cup yet

If the Wings would have played Sharks (like the Ducks did) in the first round and the Ducks would have played the Jackets, the Ducks would have beaten Detroit. Your opponent is really key to how far you go.

Chicago has a shot vs these guys because they match up well with them in the speed department. The only problem for Chicago is that they are very young and inexperienced.

I'm sure the Wings are the favorite, but how much of a favorite do you think they should be?

I'd put them at about -105 or -110 in all honesty.

Currently +130ish at MB.....just don't think Chicago matches up well with them at all and Khabibulin is easily the worst goalie left in the playoffs.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Currently +130ish at MB.....just don't think Chicago matches up well with them at all and Khabibulin is easily the worst goalie left in the playoffs.

I think the best bet is hammering 'overs' in the Wings Chi series. Both teams are going to be skating end to end. Chicago's best shot vs these guys is to get into a skating contest and tire out Detroit. Wings are the smallest, lightest and shortest team statistically in the NHL and they just played a physical series with a big and talented team and were a little tired at the end of game 7......chi needs to come out in game 1 and be extremely physical and punish the wings and maybe they have a shot.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Wings -1.5 +160 in G1

Wade

EOG Master

Osgood ain't that better.

tripp

EOG Master

Detroit should be around -180 to win the cup imo. Books are afraid to make them too big of a favorite but it is silly. The Ducks probably came closer to beating them than any other team will. They won easily last year and just added a 40 G scorer. Hawks made a great run but I can't see them beating the Wings. That would be a HUGE shock to me. It will help them gain some experience for later years though because they will be back.

Then for the likely finals Detroit is better this year and Pittsburgh is worse. Detroit won easily last year and got one of Pittsburgh 3 best players. Wings win the Cup 2/3 of the time in this situation, at least.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

Detroit should be around -180 to win the cup imo. Books are afraid to make them too big of a favorite but it is silly. The Ducks probably came closer to beating them than any other team will. They won easily last year and just added a 40 G scorer. Hawks made a great run but I can't see them beating the Wings. That would be a HUGE shock to me. It will help them gain some experience for later years though because they will be back.

Then for the likely finals Detroit is better this year and Pittsburgh is worse. Detroit won easily last year and got one of Pittsburgh 3 best players. Wings win the Cup 2/3 of the time in this situation, at least.

this is what sports gambling forums are for. i don't know much hockey, but i'm gonna trust your word tripper and put some $$$ on the wings to win the series against the blackhawks as well as to win the cup.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Hines i have no clue what you are talking about - Wings are the fave once we got to the F4 and actually were the fave from the opening of the playoffs i am almost certain of and if not only behind Sharkey's Machine

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Miles better than Chicago and Carolina and a cut above Pittsburgh.

Anaheim was the toughest match-up for Detroit because they play killer defense and are very physical. Chicago plays too loose, has a weak goaltender, and not enough stars.

Pittsburgh is not as good as they were last season when they had Hossa. Kunitz has missed a lot of opportunities and Guerin is not the scorer that Hossa was. Gonchar is not playing at 100% and won't be and he is Pittsburgh's only offensive threat for a defenseman.

Carolina is just not good and I am somewhat surprised they made it this far. Never thought they would get past New Jersey in the first round.

I agree that the Hawks play too lose, but their goal tender has won a cup, and it was because of him. He's not playing well right now, but he's a lot better than Osgood. Osgood is by far the worst goalie left. Also, the Hawks have more stars than almost any team.

Toews
Kane
Sharp
Keith
Campbell
Versteeg

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Khabi is better than Osgood. Even people in Detroit say that Osgood is the worst goalie left.

Also, this year the Hawks were dominated by the Wings. The two games they won were meaningless because the season was wrapped up. Last year, the Hawks out played Detroit, but they didn't get into the playoffs so they couldn't play them in the 1st round.

None of that matters. Past results mean nothing in the post season. If Khabi gets hot the Hawks could win the series. In all honesty though, the Hawks will probably lose in 6. The series relies on whether or not the Hawks gamble and win more than they gamble and lose. They're going to gamble, it's in their nature, but they need to be smart about it. If Khabi gets hot, and Kane plays like he did in the last series, they'll win but those are two big "IF's".

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

You could make an argument that the Hawks are the most talented team in Hockey from top to bottom. Their fourth line is much better than almost everyone in hockey's. The only team that really compares is Detroit....

Their fourth line has Sharp on it.

My sentiments exactly

Hines i have no clue what you are talking about - Wings are the fave once we got to the F4 and actually were the fave from the opening of the playoffs i am almost certain of and if not only behind Sharkey's Machine

Reread my post. That's what I'm saying. The Wings I think should be odds on favs to win, should not be able to get + money on them.

I agree that the Hawks play too lose, but their goal tender has won a cup, and it was because of him. He's not playing well right now, but he's a lot better than Osgood. Osgood is by far the worst goalie left. Also, the Hawks have more stars than almost any team.

Toews
Kane
Sharp
Keith
Campbell
Versteeg

TH, you can't be serious. You can't even compare those six with Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Fransen, Hossa, Cleary, Rafalski, and Lidstrom.

Osgood ain't great, but I think he's better than Khabibulin.

Detroit has thee most talented roster in the NHL. While Ozzie isn't the best in the league, he's been good enough in the past to win cups and and he's still good enough to do so again. Remember they have to beat 5 guys to get to the goalie. Detroit's 4th line is most teams 2nd line. They absolutely dominated every aspect of the Ducks series(shots,hits,faceoffs won,penalty kill, and overall flow of the games.) only to have to go to game seven to win it. Minus a fucked up ref call and it's over in 5.
As for Detroit being tired? How is the best conditioned team in the league fatigued? They are just getting their playoff legs under them. They will dominate this young scrappy Chicago team and do what they do best against the washed up Khabibulin and score a ton of goals. Zetterberg,Datysuk and Hossa will show the kids in Chicago how the game is played.

Detroit in 5

Detroit Cup in 5 as well.

I heard Vancouver was going to do that to Chicago. :houra

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/more.jsp?content=20090501_191042_4460

Free tee time for the Chicago Blackhawks

Pemberton golf course offering golf carts as well

Sonia Aslam/Jim Goddard PEMBERTON (NEWS1130) | Friday, May 1st, 2009 4:22 pm

PEMBERTON (NEWS1130) - Calling on all Chicago Blackhawks, time to tee-off!
The owners of the Meadows at Pemberton Golf Course are offering all 2008-2009 Chicago Blackhawk players free unrestricted full play memberships at their course.
They say the Hawks have had the misfortune of having to play one of the hottest teams in the NHL, the Vancouver Canucks, during the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. That could mean an abrupt end to their hockey season but early beginning to their golf season.

Gordon Bell with the course says he doesn't expect to see the Canucks for some time. "Our local hockey heroes are always welcomed here at the Meadows golf club, but they're not going to have any time for golf until probably the beginning of July. So we figured we take care of the poor souls that get in their way." He says there are many BC players on the Blackhawks and he expects some of them to take up his offer.
Bell says as a gesture of consolation and sympathy, the owners of the Meadows will have power carts available for the emotionally distraught Hawks and all victims of Willie Mitchell hits.
Game two of the series goes Saturday at 6 p.m. at GM Place.

I heard Vancouver was going to do that to Chicago. :houra

Let me know how it works out this time. I'm sure we'll see a very sharp Detroit team this afternoon that is just a precursor to what the series will be like. Don't think that Vancouver and Detroit are in the same league. Detroit may be the most well rounded team we'll see in some time.

Note: Not too many FA's on the Wings team. The point: Almost the entire team is brought up thru the farm system, hence they've been playing the same systems for a long long time.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Detroit has thee most talented roster in the NHL. While Ozzie isn't the best in the league, he's been good enough in the past to win cups and and he's still good enough to do so again. Remember they have to beat 5 guys to get to the goalie. Detroit's 4th line is most teams 2nd line. They absolutely dominated every aspect of the Ducks series(shots,hits,faceoffs won,penalty kill, and overall flow of the games.) only to have to go to game seven to win it. Minus a fucked up ref call and it's over in 5.
As for Detroit being tired? How is the best conditioned team in the league fatigued? They are just getting their playoff legs under them. They will dominate this young scrappy Chicago team and do what they do best against the washed up Khabibulin and score a ton of goals. Zetterberg,Datysuk and Hossa will show the kids in Chicago how the game is played.

Detroit in 5

Detroit Cup in 5 as well.

How the game is played? Get out of here. People are overrating Detroit now. I think they win the series, but they're not MORE talented than this Hawks team, they're just better right now. Scrappy? They are far from scrappy. They are fast, talented, and they love to gamble.

For the record, Seabrook and Keith were better than any defensive line Detroit had all year. Keith was, arguably, the best defensive player in hockey this year but he didn't get the love for some reason.

The Hawks 4th line is every bit as good as Detroit's. Both these teams are deep and talented, and both at times have shaky play in net. The difference in this series will be, what goalie can get hot; if either? And, can Chicago limit it's gambles and mistakes and avoid stupid penalties. They're young, and I said I think Detroit wins in 6, but Detroit isn't on another level from this team.

tripp

EOG Master

Woah, TH. Chicago is certainly talented, but more talented than Detroit? Not a chance. Datsyuk is better than Kane, Hossa is better than Toews, Zetterberg is much better than Versteeg, Franzen is much better than Sharp, Lidstrom is better than Keith and so on and so on. Detroit's 3rd and 4th lines play better than Chicago's also.

Chicago is definitely very talented, but Detroit has arguably 4 top 20 forwards and the best defenceman in the league. They also play smarter than any team in the league. Detroit just has minimal flaws, have the most experience and the most talent. The Stanley Cup is theirs to lose.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Woah, TH. Chicago is certainly talented, but more talented than Detroit? Not a chance. Datsyuk is better than Kane, Hossa is better than Toews, Zetterberg is much better than Versteeg, Franzen is much better than Sharp, Lidstrom is better than Keith and so on and so on. Detroit's 3rd and 4th lines play better than Chicago's also.

Chicago is definitely very talented, but Detroit has arguably 4 top 20 forwards and the best defenceman in the league. They also play smarter than any team in the league. Detroit just has minimal flaws, have the most experience and the most talent. The Stanley Cup is theirs to lose.

There's a drastic difference between better, and more talented. Scotty Bowman has said that the talent levels are equal, and that the Hawks will only get better with experience. I understand that Bowman works for the Hawks now, but he's the smartest hockey mind of all-time, arguably. If he tells me that we're just as talented, but not as smart or disciplined yet, I'll believe him...

Do you watch Detroit play all the time or something? Do you watch the Hawks play a lot. I'm not the smartest hockey mind in the world, but all the experts and the eyes I've watched games with will not tell you that Detroit's third and fourth lines are better.

Hossa is better than Toews? Why? Because he scores more goals? Toews is a great leader, passer, defender and scorer. Hossa is a one way player, and I agree that the other comparisons you made are accurate (but not by a wide margin), but Hossa is not a better hockey player than Toews.

I never disagreed that the cup wasn't there's to lose, but the talent levels are equal. Neither team is full of goons. Both teams love to skate and play free hockey. It should be an exciting series, but people are acting like Detroit is unbeatable. They're not unbeatable, but they are the best team left and they should win it all.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

People are also really underestimating Khabi. He is better than Osgood and he's proven that he can get hot and carry a team. Osgood can't do that anymore.

tripp

EOG Master

Yeah I really don't think either khabibulan or osgood are really that good of goalies.

Detroit has always been a team that spends the money on the skaters and will get a cheap vet to play net. Osgood would have horrible stats with most teams, but G for the Detroit Red Wings is one of the easier jobs in sports.

I think goaltender is the weak spot for both teams.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

It's really not close. Especially this year...

Khabi saved 92% of his shots this year and had a GAA of 2.33.

Osgood saved 89% and had a GAA of 3.09 this year.

It's really not even close. I don't understand why people won't say that Osgood is clearly the worst goalie left. All experts will say it, but the general public won't. Khabi is a better goalie.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Yeah I really don't think either khabibulan or osgood are really that good of goalies.

Detroit has always been a team that spends the money on the skaters and will get a cheap vet to play net. Osgood would have horrible stats with most teams, but G for the Detroit Red Wings is one of the easier jobs in sports.

I think goaltender is the weak spot for both teams.

Are you kidding me? They have had Joseph, Hasek, and Osgood in his prime, and they were all far from cheap at the time, and they were not "cheap vets". They were all elite goalies at one time.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

The past two seasons Osgood has been cheap and a "vet" in net, but before that they spent money on the best goalies in the league.

tripp

EOG Master

Are you kidding me? They have had Joseph, Hasek, and Osgood in his prime, and they were all far from cheap at the time, and they were not "cheap vets". They were all elite goalies at one time.

None were in their prime other than Osgood in his first time with Detroit. Hasek wasn't that good when he was in Detroit, or Ottawa at the end of his career. In fact I'd say he was below average, just as I would say Jospeh was below average at that point, and Osgood is below average right now.

Khabibulan is also below average right now, or at least average at best. Ward is by far the best goalie remaining, and he is the only one I'd put in the top 10 right now. I am not a Fleury fan just yet, too inconsistent for me.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Trippp, please just stop...
Before the start of the next season, Hašek was traded to the Detroit Red Wings in an attempt to lower the Sabres' payroll and to send Hašek to a more competitive team.[2] He was dealt for Vyacheslav Kozlov, a first round selection in the 2002 NHL Entry Draft and future considerations, which eventually became the draft pick of Jim Slater. During his first season with Detroit, Hašek posted a career high 41 wins with just 15 losses,[28] helping the Red Wings earn the President's Trophy with the league's best record. In the playoffs, he led the Wings past the Vancouver Canucks, the St. Louis Blues, the Colorado Avalanche and eventually the Carolina Hurricanes in the finals to win the Stanley Cup. During the conference finals against Colorado, he became the first goalie to be awarded an assist on an overtime game-winning goal in the post-season after passing the puck to Wings captain Steve Yzerman,[29] who then assisted Fredrik Olausson in scoring the final goal of the third game of that series. He also set a record for most shutouts in a post-season with six.
Below average while setting the post season record for shut outs....

tripp

EOG Master

You do realize Osgood had ridiculously good stats last year also, right?

Stats are misleading. As I've already said, goalie for the Red Wings is one of the easier jobs in all of sports. Playing goalie for Ottawa used to be the same way, and they made Hasek look good there when he was below average.

Hasek was one of the best ever with Buffalo. He was below average elsewhere.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Trippp please stop it. Now anyone could be a goalie in Detroit? He was not below average. He had a GREAT post season that year... He had a very good regular season that year. He was one of the best goalies in the league that year. In 2001 he LEAD the league in GAA. He was below average though...................?

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Led the league.... In GAA. How is it possible that a guy of that caliber could be considered below average?

I wouldn't say below average, but Hasek was a shadow of his former self in Detroit most of the time there. Same can be said about CuJo.

Khabibulin has a 2.76 GAA and a .896 SVP so far this playoffs. Osgood has a 2.06 GAA and a .921 SVP. I don't think Osgood is great but I would rather have him than Khabibulin......Khabibulin is a risk taker at times and not a very good one.

Mammon

EOG Master

How many Cups did Osgood win as starter ...3? plus 2 on the bench. Maybe

seems we all are selling him short.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

1-0. Osgood allows a horrible goal from Chicago's fourth line.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Khabi gives up a goal on a very saveable shot.... Just unreal... He hasn't made a big save this post season.

tripp

EOG Master

Trippp please stop it. Now anyone could be a goalie in Detroit? He was not below average. He had a GREAT post season that year... He had a very good regular season that year. He was one of the best goalies in the league that year. In 2001 he LEAD the league in GAA. He was below average though...................?

Okay so then if you are going with that argument you have to say Osgood is easily better than Khabibulan. Osgood was almost a Vezina winner last year, and Khabibulan is at best an average goalie. They tried to get rid of him at the start of the year and nobody wanted him.

If playing net for Detroit isn't easy than Osgood has to be called a top goalie for what he did last year. Can't have it both ways.

Another scappy goal by the Wings as they are starting to finally see what the Chicago speed is dealing them.