RIP John Thompson Jr.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
He led Georgetown to 3 Final Fours in the 1980s, including the National Championship in 1984, and had some great battles with St. John's coached by Lou Carnesecca that featured Chris Mullin vs. Patrick Ewing in the Big East. Thompson was 78.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
A true "Mountain of a Man"

As JK pointed out he probably made a bigger impact OFF the court than on it

What was the name of that white kid Thompson finally signed and played only because his father gave him part ownership of his Vegas slot machine company

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
What was the name of that white kid Thompson finally signed and played only because his father gave him part ownership of his Vegas slot machine company

Brendan Gaughan.

Best known as a NASCAR driver.

Played football (placekicker) and basketball (point guard) at Georgetown.

Heim

EOG Master
The guy had some of the best centers in CBB history back when centers mattered but could only achieve one
title. Still can't believe Nova shot 79% from the field in '85 to beat them.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The guy had some of the best centers in CBB history back when centers mattered but could only achieve one
title. Still can't believe Nova shot 79% from the field in '85 to beat them.

"Big John" Thompson was a defensive coordinator, if you will.

Ewing, Mourning and Mutombo were excellent defensive centers.

When Iverson was a Hoya, he had a green light on the offensive end to go 1-on-5.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Former UNLV head coach Jerry Tarkanian was known for chewing on a towel during games.

I preferred the way John Thompson wore/employed his towel.

1598909478033.png

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Here's an interesting conspiracy theory from the 1980's: Big East referees kept underdogs in the game to provide fantastic finishes for Big Monday's ESPN telecasts.

I'm not a conspiracy guy but I faintly remember underdogs being "live" in those games.

Good way to gain notice in an emerging basketball conference.

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Here's an interesting conspiracy theory from the 1980's: Big East referees kept underdogs in the game to provide fantastic finishes for Big Monday's ESPN telecasts.

I'm not a conspiracy guy but I faintly remember underdogs being "live" in those games.

Good way to gain notice in an emerging basketball conference.
I preferred the NFL's Alcoa fantastic finishes at the 2:00 warning of the late Sunday games.

railbird

EOG Master
Brendan Gaughan.

Best known as a NASCAR driver.

Played football (placekicker) and basketball (point guard) at Georgetown.
did he make the most money as a pro athlete as his teammates. 3 sport star. how many other pg - place kicker combos?

boston massacre

EOG Master
He led Georgetown to 3 Final Fours in the 1980s, including the National Championship in 1984, and had some great battles with St. John's coached by Lou Carnesecca that featured Chris Mullin vs. Patrick Ewing in the Big East. Thompson was 78.

The Big East.

The Best College Basketball Conference in The Country

Started By Former Providence Head Coach, Dave Gavitt.

Then The Politically Correct SHITHEADS From The NCAA Fucked it All Up.

Went To The Big East Conference Tournament at Madison Square Garden Many Times.

Stick Cancel Culture and Politically Correct Fairy Tales , Up The Asses of All These Liberal Fruit Cakes.