RIP Legendary Harlem Globetrotter Curly Neal

MrTop

EOG Master
I went to one of their games/performances when i was about 9 years old . It was at MSG in nyc. Fun stuff. Curly had very good control on the ball. RIP

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Seen them at least 10 times...they sure knew how to entertain...was a staple on Wide World of Sports during the 60s and 70s....RIP Curly

I went to one of their games/performances when i was about 9 years old . It was at MSG in nyc. Fun stuff. Curly had very good control on the ball. RIP

I went to see them a couple times as a little boy also and I don’t think I’ve ever had more fun at a hoops game in my life

"In peace may you leave the shore"

"In love may you find the next"

"Safe passage on your travels"

("The 100", TV series)

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Like MrTop, I also remember seeing the Harlem Globetrotters as a little tyke.

The Globetrotters, led by Meadowlark Lemon, visited the south suburbs of Chicago but I'm not certain as to the location of their appearance.

My dreams say they visited my local elementary school but I doubt that's the case.

Internet research is hit-and-miss for events that took place in the 1970's.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
The Washington Generals never got a call.

Why?

Because the Harlem Globetrotters paid the refs...literally.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
I remember a couple of gags engineered by the Harlem Globetrotters.

There was the bucket of water/confetti, the baseball game on a basketball court and the de-pantsing of an overweight referee.

Not sure the de-pantsing would be allowed in today's politically-correct climate.

Did they ever gag on gay men?

I faintly remember one of the players imitating a gay man and the crowd roaring in laughter.

After all, it was the 1970's.