Vegas in house handicaper at SamsTown.
great memories with Norm Kelly /Gordon Jones
also South Point his second home..

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
Sad News
A likable people person who promoted Horse racing
Pat was an upbeat nice guy
I and many many others will miss him and remember him.
RIP Pat

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Patrick was a fabulous horse racing ambassador for both Sam's Town and South Point.

He loved to share money with friends.

I once shared in his winnings when he hit a Pick 6 at Sam's Town for more than $160,000.

"See you in the cashier's line" was his favorite catchphrase.

Patrick didn't win all the time -- he ultimately never found a Derby winner from the Sands of Dubai, as he liked to say -- but he found many fast horses at big prices during his time.

Patrick learned the racing game under the tutelage of former Los Angeles Herald-Examiner turf editor Gordon Jones.

They both loved to play speed horses.

Gordon's horses were mostly shorter in price than Patrick's longshot selections.

I once joked the only difference between Gordon's selections and Patrick's selections was that Patrick's horses stopped at the quarter-pole while Gordon's horses waited until the eighth-pole to spit the bit.

Neither Gordon nor Patrick laughed at my joke.

RIP Patrick.

Last edited:
texaswizzard...Patrick was 64.

John Kelly did the "Track Talk" radio with him for years and I have fond memories of a great dinner with the two of them at Cheesecake Factory with my young daughter Jordyn (who is now 17), so that had to be around 15 years ago. I worked with McQuiggan several times over the years, quoting him in articles and doing some handicapping seminars/podcasts, the last of which was on the Pegasus card for Ron Flatter, my VSiN colleague, back in January. When not working, Patrick would always ask how my family was doing and we laughed at the fact that his golf pro in California was my brother-in-law Jeff Hillis (total coincidence, but we laughed about what a small world it is). I'll miss him, especially at Derby time (hopefully run this year on the First Saturday in September) and when the Breeders' Cup comes along. R.I.P. Patrick.

Obit in GamingToday: https://www.gamingtoday.com/horse_r...ick_McQuiggan_dead_at_64#.XnUQc6V-pWg.twitter

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Ralph Siraco, host of RDLV, was unclear if there was going to be a memorial Las Vegas Track Talk show for Patrick tomorrow.

Patrick went out with a winner (Oaklawn, R8, #6, My Sixth Sense, somewhat ironic) on the Race Day LV show on Wednesday.

Ray Luca...no word yet on cause of death. With so many people on self-quarantine, who knows. He was 64, so could have just been his time.

ComptrBob...glad to hear he went out a winner (at least with last public pick). We should all be so lucky :)

texaswizzard

EOG Dedicated
Damn, I'm 6'4 235 lbs and 60 years old.. I guess it's time to lose 20-25 lbs. I have too many friends dying of heart attacks.

Ray Luca

EOG Master
Ray Luca...no word yet on cause of death. With so many people on self-quarantine, who knows. He was 64, so could have just been his time.

ComptrBob...glad to hear he went out a winner (at least with last public pick). We should all be so lucky :)

Way too young. Sorry to hear this news.
RIP

ComptrBob

EOG Master
Ralph Siraco, host of RDLV, was unclear if there was going to be a memorial Las Vegas Track Talk show for Patrick tomorrow.

Patrick went out with a winner (Oaklawn, R8, #6, My Sixth Sense, somewhat ironic) on the Race Day LV show on Wednesday.

Ralph did a Saturday AM Vegas Track Talk radio show with Toby T, Jon H, and Tom Q. Gave mention to other friends and show participants like JK, Gordon Jones, et al.

Neveragain

EOG Dedicated
If you’re feeling sentimental you can go to your livestream app, search southpoint and mcguiggan and replay some Derby and Breeders cup preview shows he did there with Siraco, Toby Terrell and Jon Hardoon.

RIP Patrick.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Like Bomzee specultated, a massive heart attack is likely.

Patrick lived alone on Las Vegas Boulevard near South Point.

bomzee

EOG Dedicated
\
Like Bomzee specultated, a massive heart attack is likely.

Patrick lived alone on Las Vegas Boulevard near South Point.
For the record I absolutely did Not nor would not have speculated the cause.
I heard it from what I deemed a very very reliable source and I should have but didn't make that clear.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
\

For the record I absolutely did Not nor would not have speculated the cause.
I heard it from what I deemed a very very reliable source and I should have but didn't make that clear.

Got it.

Thanks for the clarification.