RIP Tommy Lasorda

Heim

EOG Master
I was surprised he lasted this long.....life long over-weight, terrible diet.

I definitely have some stories since he was a Fullerton, CA resident and
familiar with the son that died of AIDS.

Not a nice guy in real life.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Big rah-rah guy in the dugout.

Lasorda learned from longtime manager Ralph Houk that a pat on the back was far more effective than a kick in the butt.

I get the feeling Lasorda was more of an artist than a scientist.

Like most old-school guys, he would have ignored or criticized today's adherence to analytics.

And about Lasorda's gay son: Tommy maintained his son died of cancer, not AIDS.

Hmmm...

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
I was surprised he lasted this long.....life long over-weight, terrible diet.

I definitely have some stories since he was a Fullerton, CA resident and
familiar with the son that died of AIDS.

Not a nice guy in real life.
He always denied his son died from aids.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
Once we heard of Lasorda's passing, Spartan Mike was telling me he met Lasorda at a meet and greet at Dow Diamond in Midland, MI, home of the Great Lakes Loons, the single A farm club of LA.

Mike said he told great baseball stories. There were maybe 150 people there, all Loons season ticket holders were invited, which Mike was.

Mike recalls Lasorda saying "The three most important things in his life (in the order of importance) were the Dodgers, God and his wife"....and then he said "but don't tell my wife that"!

He waited around after lunch to speak with everyone as long as it took. Mike usually is not one to shake a celebrity's hand, but he figured he was with a living legend!

Heim

EOG Master
Lasorda was 14-5 in the minors in 1956. Big club brought him up late. Walt Alston went to the mound to talk to the pitcher joining Campanella. Campanella suggested Alston bring Lasorda in. Alston turned to him and said I want a pitcher not a cheerleader.

Thus Tommy Lasagna never got in a big league game.

Last edited:

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated
wasn't lasorda alston"s bench coach?
That is correct. Once Alston retired, then Lasorda became the manager. That occurred 4 games remaining in the 1976 season. He was the manager until 1996. Alston was the dodger manager from 1954 to 1976. Amazing that the Dodger had only 2 managers in a period of 42 years!

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Lasorda was 14-5 in the minors in 1956. Big club brought him up late. Walt Alston went to the mound to talk to the pitcher joining Campanella. Campanella suggested Alston bring Lasorda in. Alston turned to him and said I want a pitcher not a cheerleader.

Thus Tommy Lasagna never got in a big league game.
He actually did play in parts of three seasons - https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/l/lasorto01.shtml

A couple of interesting facts - he was a teammate of Roberto Clemente in Montreal in 1954.

- His last game for the Dodgers, he threw 3 wild pitches, then was demoted for bonus baby Sandy Koufax.

Don Quixote

EOG Enthusiast
I don't like dog'n a Dude when he's Down, but my Brother, who was a Craps & BlackJack Dealer at Harrah's in South Lake Tahoe a while back, told me that lasorda was a belligerent, Loudly Burp'n & Fart'n kind of guy at the tables...

boston massacre

EOG Master
Was Standing outside in Front of The WYNN one Time, Right Where Wynn use To Have That Auto Dealership, Where Autos Sold For 200 Large and up.

Lasorda Walks in Front of Me With a Young Brunette, Climbs in The Back of a Limo, and Off They Went.

Don Eagleston

EOG Addicted
Was Standing outside in Front of The WYNN one Time, Right Where Wynn use To Have That Auto Dealership, Where Autos Sold For 200 Large and up.

Lasorda Walks in Front of Me With a Young Brunette, Climbs in The Back of a Limo, and Off They Went.

I'm guessing that the young brunette was his daughter, Laura.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
When living in Santo Domingo in the late 1980s we would run into Tommy and Bill Russell at the Jaragua Hotel every morning for breakfast...they were always cordial and would always give us a good morning and asked how we were doing...the staff at the hotel loved Tommy...Railbird’s friend Basketball Bob was working with us during those times...

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
Heard on the radio today that two different times the Dodgers under Lasorda had a four consecutive years with the rookie of the year. Quite a pipeline the farm system of the Dodgers had back then.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
No denying Lasorda was a great ambassador for baseball, especially Dodger baseball.

Spoke with a smile and loved to tell stories linking the past with the present.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
Great storyteller. I wonder if anyone has the clip of his mound visit to Jesse Orosco during the 1988 NLCS.