Roxy Roxborough's Sports Predictor

BigBlind

EOG Senior Member
Went to an estate sale here in Ohio and in a box of Nintendo games, was this little black calculator that I opened up and it was called Roxy Roxborough's Sports Predictor. It asks for the following inputs as seen in the picture. I'll post the scores from the Roxy Roxborough Sports predictor and see how it does against the spread, for entertainment purposes only. I paid 50 cents for it! I had to get it!! Let's see how much money it costs me in the long run.
20190911_202436.jpg

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
We should have a story one way or the other.

A 50-cent investment could cost thousands or produce thousands.

Abundy

EOG Addicted
I have one. It is really outdated because of so many rule changes favoring the offenses. There was a time about 10 years ago when you would wait until about week 5 and put in the data and it was actually pretty good

BigBlind

EOG Senior Member
That's so funny! It is sold on Amazon! Thanks MrTop. Looks like it was released in the late 80's? I'll put the scores up each week and we'll document it. Like MrTop said, I'm already making money! Right now I'm plus $69.49. Alright! Count the big heads.
The score for tonight's game is the Panthers 24 Buccaneers 19 so it would be a play on the Buccaneers plus 6 / 6.5
Check back Saturday night for the other scores.
Thanks guys!

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
That's so funny! It is sold on Amazon! Thanks MrTop. Looks like it was released in the late 80's? I'll put the scores up each week and we'll document it. Like MrTop said, I'm already making money! Right now I'm plus $69.49. Alright! Count the big heads.
The score for tonight's game is the Panthers 24 Buccaneers 19 so it would be a play on the Buccaneers plus 6 / 6.5
Check back Saturday night for the other scores.
Thanks guys!
Big value on under 49 then!

Abundy

EOG Addicted
The trouble with that is the average score back in the late 80s was probably about 5-8 points less a game. So the 43 projected score then would be right near the 49 today.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Dog and under.

Contraption opens 2-0.

Unfortunately some of us had the Panthers last night in our "Winner" Survivor pool. Ron Rivera owes me money since that was one of the most deplorable coaching jobs ever. Panthers pissed away a game they shoulda easily won

BigBlind

EOG Senior Member
Haha! I love this!

Here we go, WEEK 2 predictions! And let's add 7 points to the two total scores to bring it up to date?

Titans 29 - Colts 17 Play is Titans -3 and Over 43.5
Chargers 19 - Lions 13 Play is Chargers -1.5 and Under 47.5
Bills 21 - Giants 19 Play is No Play (push) adding 7 points to total score, would make it 47 but would we want the over 43.5?
Ravens 34 - Cardinals 12 Play is Ravens -13 and these two scores fall right on total of 46, but if we add the 7 points, it would be over.
Patriots 26 - Dolphins 13 Play is Dolphins +18.5 and under 48.5
Cowboys 26 - Redskins 18 Play is Cowboys - 5.5 and again adding 7 points to the total it's Over 46.5
Texans 24 - Jaguars 21 Play is Jaguars +9.5 (remember injury is not accounted for QB) and over 43
Seahawks 22 - Steelers 14 Play is Seahawks +4 and Under 46.5
49ers 24 - Bengals 17 Play is 49ers +1 and if adding the extra 7 points would make the total go over the 46
Vikings 19 - Packers 18 Play is Vikings +2.5 and with adding the 7 points Over 43
Chiefs 22 - Raiders 21 Play is Raiders +7.5 and Under 52.5
Saints 22 - Rams 26 Play is Rams -2 and adding 7 points makes play Over 52
Bears 13 - Broncos 21 Play is Broncos +2.5 and adding 7 points makes play Over 40.5
Eagles 27 - Falcons 17 Play is Eagles -2 and Under 52.5
Monday Night Action:
Jets 21 - Browns 16 without QB Injury for Jets with mononucabuacujs, making the Jets +6.5 and adding 7 points to the score, Over 44.5

I'm not too sure if we should be adding 7 points to the totals, but then again this predictor is from the 80's. So do we just go by the scores predicted for grading purposes, or do we add the points. It's whatever. It's for entertainment purposes only! And the more games played, the better the outputs. OH BOY! This should cut down on my handicapping immensely! It's better than having Madden Football pick them. Good luck guys. We'll have some fun. Remember to bet with your head not over it. See ya Monday morning for the outcomes. As my good friend JK says, "Cheers!"

Valuist

EOG Master
Does anyone remember the Pro Football Predictor? I remember getting it when I was in 4th or 5th grade. Basically it had the schedules for each week, all teams power ratings, then the user just added in the 3 point HFA. I remember a friend got it before I did. I remember him accurately predicting a tie game and that was enough to convince me. Sounds painfully simple but 45 years ago, it was plus EV.

BigBlind

EOG Senior Member
I'm not familiar with it, but if we can get any kind of angle to help try to predict this NFL, I'll use it! Happy gambling!

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Week 2
Predicted unders go 1 over 5 unders.
So even with the adjusted 7 pts to the total and you bet the unders you won 5 lost 1.

Thats a strong start.

Some were no sweat plays. Covering by 24.5, 14.5, 8.5 and 15 using the total that was posted in the thread.

BigBlind

EOG Senior Member
Based on the Predictor Machine without adding points to sides and totals, for week 2, 17 wins and 13 losses. Leaving us with the Monday night game, which it says to play the Jets + points and Under the total.
Just going with what the predictor spits out from now on. I'll have Thursday night's game up Wednesday. Check my math though, kind of did it quick.

Thanks again for everybody checking it out!

My play, personally, is I have the Browns -2.5 -115, which I bet on Tuesday last week, and the Jets +7 -120

May the football be with you!

With sports betting blowing up nationally could see an updated version of this being sold during Christmas gift season and doing well. Just have to get the right name associated with it.

TobyTyler

EOG Dedicated
What stats do you input exactly?

Wild bill is spot on. Updated version gimmick gift $19.99 is brilliant.

Abundy

EOG Addicted
An updated version would make big many in gambling states. I used it back in the day and it made me money

With sports betting blowing up nationally could see an updated version of this being sold during Christmas gift season and doing well. Just have to get the right name associated with it.

Roxy Roxborough is still alive and well, so I assume he still holds the trademark LMEAO

Abundy

EOG Addicted
Basically you inputted points for and points against . Then you listed the home team and it spit out a projected final score. Like I said before it worked better after teams had played a few games. I wonder how it would treat Miami about now. Outscored 102-10. Maybe Dallas -35

MrTop

EOG Master
probably why MGM is for sale... they knew when this gizmo NFL picker goes mainstream they would go out of biz.

BigBlind

EOG Senior Member
Thanks for all the positive reaction. Remember, we're just having fun. This is for entertainment only. So I'm going to keep the thread going with week 3.
The Magic Voodoo Predictor for tonight's Titans - Jaguars game, Titans 21 - Jaguars 17 so our play would be on the Titans -1.5 or -2 and under 39.
I'll put up the remaining games Saturday. May the football always bounce our way. Cheers!

It would be interesting if you tried the same game on different days. Does it give the same predicted result? I'm thinking there may be some randomizer thrown in there.

Sportsrmylife

EOG Master
Thanks for all the positive reaction. Remember, we're just having fun. This is for entertainment only. So I'm going to keep the thread going with week 3.
The Magic Voodoo Predictor for tonight's Titans - Jaguars game, Titans 21 - Jaguars 17 so our play would be on the Titans -1.5 or -2 and under 39.
I'll put up the remaining games Saturday. May the football always bounce our way. Cheers!
Im only playing unders when i add in the 7 points to the predicted total keeps it under the total.

You created a monster.

Billy walters and the computer group 2.0

BigBlind

EOG Senior Member
It would be interesting if you tried the same game on different days. Does it give the same predicted result? I'm thinking there may be some randomizer thrown in there.
Seems like it's just based on hard numbers no matter what day. You can do the same input, Monday through Friday and as long as you put the same info, it produces the same results.

BigBlind

EOG Senior Member
Im only playing unders when i add in the 7 points to the predicted total keeps it under the total.

You created a monster.

Billy walters and the computer group 2.0

I like that logic. Makes complete sense and I like our Underground Fight Club name, Billy Waltes and the Computer Group 2.0!:ROFLMAO: