Runaway Toyota Prius - Are people this stupid??

Hey Bartender

EOG Senior Member
Re: Runaway Toyota Prius - Are people this stupid??

Put it in Fucking reverse.....Drop the tranny right on the highway...

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

It's a crappy car with no power. Even before learning it's a mechanical piece of junk, I wouldn't have driven one for free.

mr merlin

EOG Master

The guy was an idiot - the dispatcher clearly kept telling him to put it in neutral, then when he finally slowed down he merely turned the ignition off, i dont buy the story at all. Expect dozens of these phony stories in the weeks ahead.

mr merlin

EOG Master

It's a good time to be a senile old person trying to keep your license, if you get in an accident - "the car accelerated out of control".

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated

Another Pinto under the Toyota brand name.

Japs are taking a hit that the US auto companies took in the mid 70's.

Of all places for this to happen in southern California, the drive from El Cajon to Jacumba is the best. Find another 30-mile stretch of road where there isn't traffic?

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

it is amazing that everyone knows what would happen if he tried some of these solutions. What if he turned off the ignition and the steering wheel locked or some shit like that? Heck the hunk of shit is speeding for no reason.:+clueless

mr merlin

EOG Master

it is amazing that everyone knows what would happen if he tried some of these solutions. What if he turned off the ignition and the steering wheel locked or some shit like that? Heck the hunk of shit is speeding for no reason.:+clueless
So lets see?, your going 80 miles an hour and it wont slow down, should I risk crashing at this speed or risk locking the wheel? Hmm, maybe he should have done what the dispatcher suggested and put it in nuetral? The story is BS, he was alert enough to call 911 and complain, but he somehow panicked and couldnt listen to what he was told. By the way, car and driver did a test and every car has brakes strong enough to stop a car even if the gas is floored. he claimed he was on the brakes and the car didn't slow until he turned it off - no way.

So lets see?, your going 80 miles an hour and it wont slow down, should I risk crashing at this speed or risk locking the wheel? Hmm, maybe he should have done what the dispatcher suggested and put it in nuetral? The story is BS, he was alert enough to call 911 and complain, but he somehow panicked and couldnt listen to what he was told. By the way, car and driver did a test and every car has brakes strong enough to stop a car even if the gas is floored. he claimed he was on the brakes and the car didn't slow until he turned it off - no way.

What do you think happened? The officer said he smelled the brakes and saw the brake lights go on.

PassTheRock

EOG Master

If this happens, put the car in neutral, coast to the side of the road and stop. Leave the engine running so you have the power steering and brakes until you manage to stop the car. The electronics should not allow the engine to over-rev so you don't have to worry about it blowing up, but even if it does you're still alive.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

If this happens, put the car in neutral, coast to the side of the road and stop. Leave the engine running so you have the power steering and brakes until you manage to stop the car. The electronics should not allow the engine to over-rev so you don't have to worry about it blowing up, but even if it does you're still alive.

how u know that this is gonna work? Maybe by putting it in neutral it will cause the hood to pop up. :+textinb3 Seriously tho about a month ago i heard a woman was going 100 mph and had both feet slammed on the brakes and nothing was stopping her. I think i would just roll down the windows and drive it in the lake.

JD_

EOG Veteran

Wonder if anybody has tried to use this to get out of a speeding ticket?

"I'm sorry officer, thing just took off. I couldn't get it to slow down, even through this speed zone."

THE PLOT THICKENS....

This guy filed for bankrupcy in 2008 reducing his transportation options from a Mercedes, a boat, a motor home, and Dodge Ram, to just a Prius. The Prius was leased and has to be returned in a few months, which would leave him with no car. Hmmmmmmmm....

mr merlin

EOG Master

What do you think happened? The officer said he smelled the brakes and saw the brake lights go on.
I'm sure he did have his foot on the brakes - just not hard enough to really stop the car.

I'm sure he did have his foot on the brakes - just not hard enough to really stop the car.

This point is also peculiar. The Prius has brake override that is supposed to slow the engine when the brakes are applied. The braking system also helps recharge the battery and the override system prevents overloading the car's electronics.

High Times

EOG Master

If the dude putsthe car in neutral he doesn't have a case because the car would just slow down and eventually stop.

There'snot a car made that you can't put into neutral while it's running.

He claims he was scared to do that. Sure he was

:LMAO

cheapseats

EOG Master

After tests outside of Toyota, the media is basically calling this guy a liar, total bullshit trying to set-up for $$..........car was in 100% working order with no problems.........

mr merlin

EOG Master

Supposedly toyota said that he pressed on the brakes a couple hundred times, but only lightly during his "episode". A pure con job.

cheapseats

EOG Master

btw...sikes, the driver, filed for BK at $700,000,,,,,,,,,,,,ya think

Even before the investigation, Sikes said he wouldn't go after Toyota with a lawsuit. Yeah, because he faked the whole thing and didn't have a case!

Ray Luca

EOG Master

Why was the accelerator not in the stuck position after the car stopped?