Sam Bam

Heim

EOG Master
Great power back with speed...He also initiated the dive over the line for a touchdown naturally called the 'Cunningham dive'....

I still think that '72 team was the best ever. The entire secondary went pro as did the linebacking core. I think Mike Rae was the QB.

MrTop

EOG Master
i looked back at football reference . It looks like 1976? Pats went from 3-11 to 11-3 ... i thought stabler beat them in playoffs..with a pass to clarence davis ??? i guess i am thinking of a different year. Yes the pats were good that year.

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
Raiders 16-1 that year, only loss a blowout loss during regular season to Pats.
Winning score was a 2 yard naked bootleg by gimpy legged Stabler diving into the end zone. Remember it well- I slammed my leg down in celebration, so hard it put a hole through the mobile home wood floor.
A little earlier, Raiders got a huge break on a roughing the passer call against (I think) Sugar Bear Hamilton, preventing a 4th & goal from the 8.
Aforementioned Mike Rae was their 3rd string QB.
Trivia note to Railbird: Rae was (is?) golf coach at Saddleback

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Winning score was a 2 yard naked bootleg by gimpy legged Stabler diving into the end zone. Remember it well- I slammed my leg down in celebration, so hard it put a hole through the mobile home wood floor.
A little earlier, Raiders got a huge break on a roughing the passer call against (I think) Sugar Bear Hamilton, preventing a 4th & goal from the 8.
I remember that game, it was a iffy call on Hamilton.

Sam's younger brother wasn pretty good also - Randall Cunningham.

boston massacre

EOG Master

a huge break on a roughing the passer call against (I think) Sugar Bear Hamilton,

Flag Thrown By Referee Ben Dreith.

Total Phantom Call.

Hamilton's Hand Never Touched Stabler's Helmut.

Dreith a Colorado West Coast Guy.

Biased Call

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Great power back with speed...He also initiated the dive over the line for a touchdown naturally called the 'Cunningham dive'....

I still think that '72 team was the best ever. The entire secondary went pro as did the linebacking core. I think Mike Rae was the QB.

I faintly remember seeing highlights of Sam Cunningham launching himself over a pile of lineman on Monday Night Football halftime highlights with Howard Cosell on the narration.

The late Walter Payton copied and perhaps perfected the technique after Cunningham created the strategy.

Crazy Pete

EOG Addicted
a huge break on a roughing the passer call against (I think) Sugar Bear Hamilton,

Flag Thrown By Referee Ben Dreith.

Total Phantom Call.

Hamilton's Hand Never Touched Stabler's Helmut.

Dreith a Colorado West Coast Guy.

Biased Call
I was a HUGE 70’s Raiders fan (pre-Woke/BLM), & I 💯 thought the same thing when I saw the replay.
A forgotten aspect of that game is that the Patriots had the ball, 3rd down, 4-5 minutes left, Grogan threw to Russ Francis, and Raider defender Phil Villipiano committed the most flagrant face guarding penalty in the history of the NFL. I buried my head in my hands, waiting for the flag...that never came! I was pleasantly shocked. Francis went into an understandable tirade. HUGE play.
Also, Sugar Bear got an additional penalty for his tirade, moving ball to the 2 yard line.
I justified it as karma, makeup for a lot of anti-Raider calls from past years.

But yeah, not one but TWO crucial,
devastating 💯 botched calls near the end.
And I loved it😈

boston massacre

EOG Master
I was a HUGE 70’s Raiders fan (pre-Woke/BLM), & I 💯 thought the same thing when I saw the replay.
A forgotten aspect of that game is that the Patriots had the ball, 3rd down, 4-5 minutes left, Grogan threw to Russ Francis, and Raider defender Phil Villipiano committed the most flagrant face guarding penalty in the history of the NFL. I buried my head in my hands, waiting for the flag...that never came! I was pleasantly shocked. Francis went into an understandable tirade. HUGE play.
Also, Sugar Bear got an additional penalty for his tirade, moving ball to the 2 yard line.
I justified it as karma, makeup for a lot of anti-Raider calls from past years.

But yeah, not one but TWO crucial,
devastating 💯 botched calls near the end.
And I loved it😈

That Call Reviewable Today ?

Reviewable.

PATRIOTS WIN !