Seattle @ Atlanta

Valuist

EOG Master
We have another non divisional game where the two teams faced off last year, in the same venue. A lot of talk how the sharps will be on the Falcons and the public will be on Seattle. When the teams faced off last year, Seattle was a 7 1/2 point road favorite; now they are only laying 1. We know home field advantage is clearly lessened without fans, and that only gets magnified in domed stadiums where teams count on the crowd. Yes, Atlanta was a much better team later in the year last year, but that has been accounted for in the line.

A quick look at the score sees a Seattle 27-20 win despite Atlanta having big yardage and first down edges. But that is misleading; Seattle was up 24-0 at the half. Atlanta piled on a lot of yardage after the game was well in hand, and Seattle took their foot off the gas. The score was 27-11 with just over 3 minutes to play in the game; that score much better reflected reality than the final score did.

https://www.covers.com/sport/football/nfl/boxscore/182917

While I wouldn't put a lot of value on that matchup last year, I'm surprised the number is so low. Seems like a big class difference here with the Hawks legitimately being considered a contender for the NFC while the Falcons need at least another year of cleaning up the mess, mostly to convince themselves Quinn ain't the guy.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Atlanta's defense improved dramatically last season when Jeff Ulbrich and Raheem Morris took over for Dan Quinn halfway through the year.

Against a Quinn-led defense, opponents averaged nearly 30 points per game (29.6) and almost 380 yards per game (379.5).

Against Ulbrich and Morris, the numbers were only 17.6 ppg and 319.6 ppg.

Interesting to note: Last season's matchup between Seattle and Atlanta took place in Week 8 and prompted Quinn to turn over the defense to Ulbrich and Morris.

Last edited:

TheGuesser

EOG Dedicated
Atlanta the only game I like this week. Public on Seattle, but Atlanta had a 1.5 point move Saturday afternoon, and no new injury news caused it, AFAIK. Atlanta has 10 #1 Draft Choices starting on Offense. If Gurley can regain even some of what he was with the Rams, look out for this team.

IWishIWasAPro

EOG Master
You would think Seattle would have this but who knows. I am seeing absolutely nothing that appeals to me today.

Leaning towards under for Steelers and Giants. DeCastro out for Pittsburgh. Big Ben first game in a million years. Not sure Giants will get too flashy against Pit defense either.