Social Distancing?

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
Do you understand what % of this Covid-19 virus is caused by not following "social distancing" (using the minimum of staying 6 feet feet away from any human)? You don't read or hear any %'s on the news, but they tend to make me believe it's 99% caused this way.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
Well, if the SD is the reason for 99% and they KNOW THAT! Then how in the world can Governors allow church services attended in person? I fully get it that MOST places are not having services but what about the few that do? To me it's like saying a restaurant can offer in plate dollar specials if people come in to to buy the meal rather than have window take out

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur
Well, if the SD is the reason for 99% and they KNOW THAT! Then how in the world can Governors allow church services attended in person? I fully get it that MOST places are not having services but what about the few that do? To me it's like saying a restaurant can offer in plate dollar specials if people come in to to buy the meal rather than have window take out
I guess you will always have the rouge churches who don't realize or care.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
I don't know about the 10 person limit in that state. In Virginia, unless he's changed in the last couple of days, Falwell of Liberty University is allowing student to return to campus. I hope he's changed his mind.. I heard him on a Sunday morning interview. That's a Baptist college.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
These things sound like good ideas, but not unlawful or there is little to no enforcement. from what I've noticed

MrTop

EOG Master
But according to research by scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, it's not just the person next to us we should worry about: coughing spreads droplets as far as 6 meters, and sneezing as much as 8 meters. These droplets stay suspended in the air for up to 10 minutes.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
SD and washing hands....all venues here in Thailand make it mandatory to wash your hands before entering...they even supply all hand washes...I still carry a small tube of hand wash when I go out....

Biff41

EOG Dedicated
Officials are giving mixed messages. Virus is so contagious that millions will eventually get infected with or without social distances. Other problem is social distancing may delay the public immunity effect which is the only way a highly contagios virus can be stopped anyway

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
Valuist
When was the last time you saw more than 7,000 Americans die in 3 weeks not in a foreign war? I watch television and know it is going on as far as the 10 people limit. I think the country is in a state of shock with the worst to come if YOU believe in science.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
Thanks Computer Bob
I had no idea. Lost at dad at 41 to a heart attack, so should not be surprised.. Very appreciative that you shared

Valuist

EOG Master
Valuist
When was the last time you saw more than 7,000 Americans die in 3 weeks not in a foreign war? I watch television and know it is going on as far as the 10 people limit. I think the country is in a state of shock with the worst to come if YOU believe in science.

You asked if the Virginia limit of 10 people would be enforced. I asked you a question, which you didn't answer. Considering Virginia and Maryland have the longest lockdowns, going to June 10, I would say those 10 people limits most definitely would be enforced.

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated
Valuist
I'm not sure the 10 person limit applies to religious groups. Neither here in Va nor Ohio, which is the state on the news. Their governor has no intention of stopping it..Will it happen here in Va.. No idea.

Valuist

EOG Master
Valuist
I'm not sure the 10 person limit applies to religious groups. Neither here in Va nor Ohio, which is the state on the news. Their governor has no intention of stopping it..Will it happen here in Va.. No idea.

The Ohio governor actually has been quite proactive. Ohio has been pretty much in lock step with Illinois in shutting the state down. The head of the health department in Ohio got headlines three weeks ago saying 100,000 Ohio residents likely had the virus at that moment. Just shows how the modeling can be way off.

ejd_5277

EOG Dedicated
It's academic at this point but short of the President declaring martial law and suspending the Constitution, none of these government entities at any level have the legal authority to enforce these shutdowns. A few (Charlie Baker in Massachusetts for example) have openly acknowledged that. There are no built in exceptions in the 1st Amendment for pandemics. That's the long and short of it.

The far-right wackos that pastor these mega-churches know this, and some are more worried about protecting their rights than they are about protecting the health and safety of their sheep who hang on every word they say. Besides, Jesus will heal them after all... (right?!?!?!)

Here in New Orleans, even the Democrat Mayor tacitly admitted as much when she announced the closures of non-essential businesses 3 weeks or so ago. When asked how she planned to enforce the restrictions, she said all she could do was not renew their licenses if they violated the rules.

The more I think about it, this may be why the governors of some of these deep-red Great Plains states with low case/death numbers are hesitant to jump on board the shutdown train. I know these realities affected DeSantis' decision making in Florida, and he will likely pay a heavy political price for it in the end.