Something did not look right in the tenth and final race today at Gulfstream Park

blueline

EOG Master
Ray Paulick

Masochistic may have been the worst-kept secret in racing on May 3. Set at 4-1 on the morning line, he was bet down immediately, finally drifting up to 2-1 and paying $6.20 to win. Maybe it was the fast workouts at Santa Anita following his debut (1:10 4/5 and 1:11 4/5 for six furlongs), although he worked in 1:11 1/5 before that March 15 race and was a fat 8-1.

blueline

EOG Master
if you want to say my files are wrong...ok.....if you want to say Ray got it mixed up...ok....found this on some forum called derbytrail dated 5/3/2014...to me its the most compelling

Calzone Lord
05-03-2014, 11:45 PM
It said more about his competition today than anything he had done.

Yeah...that was the eventual flaw in the "putover" -- as Serling called it on Twitter.

The assumption being that a MSW race on the Kentucky Derby card would come up tough.

The race came up so soft, that Masochistic was just 4/1 on the morning line and had the fastest last out fig on everyones numbers. Even his 69 Beyer was fastest last-out.

howid

EOG Dedicated
how much does a jockey earn for winning the race, guarantee him or her twice or whatever that amount and voila.

I speak from first hand knowledge from the harness side.

howid

EOG Dedicated
have to qualify, many on the harness side were trainer/driver/owner back in the day ...

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
if you want to say my files are wrong...ok.....if you want to say Ray got it mixed up...ok....found this on some forum called derbytrail dated 5/3/2014...to me its the most compelling

Calzone Lord
05-03-2014, 11:45 PM
It said more about his competition today than anything he had done.

Yeah...that was the eventual flaw in the "putover" -- as Serling called it on Twitter.

The assumption being that a MSW race on the Kentucky Derby card would come up tough.

The race came up so soft, that Masochistic was just 4/1 on the morning line and had the fastest last out fig on everyones numbers. Even his 69 Beyer was fastest last-out.

I think the problem here is the source for the morning line.

I think Mike Battaglia and Churchill Downs published in the program a morning line of somewhere between 12-1 and 20-1, hence the uproar when Masochistic closed as the 2/1 favorite.

The widely-quoted 4/1 morning line price on Masochistic may have come from some other source.

A 2014 Kentucky Derby program will solve the mystery.

Think about it, there's no talk of a betting coup if Masochistic were listed at 4/1 in the program.

Hmmm...

Last edited:

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
How did someone engineer the ticket inclusive of the 1st five races. I'm lost, please excuse my ignorance.

My assumption is the winning ticketholder invested a large sum of money and then was able to manipulate the final race to his desire.

I think a "wink, wink, nudge, nudge" is all it took in the 30 minutes prior to the final race.

If I were a Gulfstream Park steward, where would I look to uncover the possible fraud?

Not the jockeys but the jockey agents.

That's a slippery group.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry
I think the problem here is the source for the morning line.

I think Mike Battaglia and Churchill Downs published in the program a morning line of somewhere between 12-1 and 20-1, hence the uproar when Masochistic closed as the 2/1 favorite.

The widely-quoted 4/1 morning line price on Masochistic may have come from some other source.

A 2014 Kentucky Derby program will solve the mystery.

There's no talk of a betting coup if Masochistic was listed at 4/1 in the program.

Hmmm...
derby program 2014 has him at 4-1 morning line

#1 masochistic 4-1 program listed 3 in a row bullet workouts track program picked it 9-1-2-8
#2 REeder 4-1
#3 O two 6-1

slight fav #9 coastal moon 3-1

was on the infield that day of course to go crazy and pound Chrome.

this info from my derby program in my collections.

blueline

EOG Master
Chicago Tribune

As for trying to make a big score at the windows at Churchill Downs, Shamlian and Avila say that wasn't the case. Avila said they weren't trying to hide anything. And at 4-1 morning line odds, it's not like the horse was being overlooked, anyway. He was bet down to 2-1.

blueline

EOG Master

#1 masochistic 4-1 program listed 3 in a row bullet workouts track program picked it 9-1-2-8
#2 REeder 4-1
#3 O two 6-1

thats excatly what I have in my files for the rest of the field

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

#2 REeder 4-1
#3 O two 6-1

Mystery solved on Masochistic's program price.

I was wrong.

A tip of the cap to Try3 and Blue.

blueline

EOG Master
to put a bow on this....I'm not throwing a red flag on the GP race....Try3 came up with the smoking gun.....the SA press realse may have been written by an intern-type of person......one of the sources JK quoted was an investigative reporter?....have to wonder about the quality of his investigations

Rockfish

EOG Addicted
Paulick Report has a story about the winner of the 1.2 million Pik 6. Unbelievable story and he had no influence on the race.

howid

EOG Dedicated
after witnessing an obviously fixed harness race, a punter stares in disbelief at the past performance lines. shaking his head, mutters ''motherfuckers!''

proceeds to flip to the next race and try again ...

Bucky

EOG Dedicated
Sorry, in advance as I am a very casual/recreational fan of horse racing. From the outside looking in I question why anyone should play into such a possibly crooked, manipulative offer? Maybe, You cannot trust any of these "Pick" events at various parks or maybe, just some of them?

Tell me, how you would play the race if you rock, solid knew it was going to be crooked but not positive on precisely sure who the ringer was.

Reverse engineering the data to see how often this aberration occurs at the knockout level? Throw science and handicapping out the window and employ if it was going to be fixed / how would they fix it?

Perhaps, a challenge flag could be thrown and Guido could administer truth serum that would reveal the answers. Just one time, it would be nice to know the truth. What we have left we could administer to the senators in Washington?