Sports Betting Talk Radio is Expanding

Heim

EOG Master
I've heard and seen just about everything the market has to offer and still not one show tops the Stardust Line.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
I've heard and seen just about everything the market has to offer and still not one show tops the Stardust Line.

The Sunday Show was the best. We would get opening/current lines and then cappers like Cokin/Malinsky and others would go over the board and give out 3 BB for the card and those usually did very well. Back then I had a radio that could tape directly off what was being played. So I would record the 1st hour and when they went to break turn over the audio cassette tape and go to bed while I recorded Hour #2

I could only pick up KDWN at night but not when in LA since 710 would "drown out" 720. Weeknights I was like most, listening to Lee Pete from 10P-Midnight. The Friday Show was the best when Donny Bader joined him and gave out 3 picks. I am having trouble finding someone to agree with me here but I very vividly recall one time Donny got hot. WHITE HOT! He would give out 3 games on Friday and he had a run where he hit something like 40-straight games. He would give out a play during this run and no sooner was the play out of his mouth than the books all adjusted the line on the game a point, or so. JK said Donny had Alzheimer's some many years ago meaning all of the great stories Donny could tell are no more. JK - update on Donny?

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Last I heard Donnie was in a vegetative state at a rehab home in Boulder City.

Very depressing to watch him eat his meal with no knowledge of what was happening around him.

He was diagnosed with dementia.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Last I heard Donnie was in a vegetative state at a rehab home in Boulder City.

Very depressing to watch him eat his meal with no knowledge of what was happening around him.

He was diagnosed with dementia.

I agree - depressing. But not for him. He doesn't know who he is or what his situation is like. It is his family - if he has any - that is suffering. I am surprised he can feed himself. My uncle got so bad he had to be fed thru IV tubes. If Donny was a dog his owners would "put him down" and be lauded for making the right decision. It's a shame the same can't be done to people in situations like his where doing so is clearly "the right thing to do"

I recall in Feb 1992.............I was in Albertville and called into Cokin's KDWN show. Donny was there. He asked me to get him a program and I did and handed it to him in March when I came to Vegas for the NCAA Tourney.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Good story, Wink.

Donnie was a friendly guy.

Glad to hear you extended him that favor.

When you factored in all I spent on stuff to bring home to the family as well as stuff for me - what I spent for Donnie was hardly noticeable. It was the least I could do - I figured all of the hours he entertained me on the radio spending about $10 USD (or thereabouts) for it was nothing

railbird

EOG Master

It was an attractive show because we got the openers from them on Sunday nights. I always valued JK's opinion over Cokin and Boston in CBB, wish he played more of a handicapping role instead of the host.

Last edited by a moderator:

railbird

EOG Master
Cokin would see where the steam was going, and then make a case for that side as if was his original idea, everything about him is phony.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
run where he hit something like 40-straight games.

Really? Sounds impossible.

I stand by what I posted. Obviously Donny can't comment on this, nor can the host at the time, Lee Pete (Dead for some time). I stand by what I posted - as amazing as it might sound. I know the odds of that are too-amazing-for-words, but I stand by it

ChuckyG

EOG Master
Thx, winky. Wasn't really DOUBTING what you said.

I'm just saying that it's logically so improbable. Let's walk thru it. Personally, I can say that some of my BEST streaks have been around 12 consecutive wins vs -110 lines.

If 12 wins is CLOSE to the best run for the average guy...40 wins is about 3x that. That's like personal best Back-to-back-to-back.

We can concede that some of the OLD-time lines weren't quite as sharp. IE, not so much computer information and more guesswork on the lines. So, not as improbable vs less-sharp #s.

I believe u. Just saying that's one hell of a feat. Fantastic run...and if he did it on record, even better.

ChuckyG

EOG Master
Winky, any chance we can get Bobby the Owl to comment on the 40-game streak? Surely that was a topic of conversation at some point.

PS, standing lunch invite to The Owl any time I'm in Vegas. Give a Hoot, if you're out there, Owl.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Winky, any chance we can get Bobby the Owl to comment on the 40-game streak? Surely that was a topic of conversation at some point.

PS, standing lunch invite to The Owl any time I'm in Vegas. Give a Hoot, if you're out there, Owl.

No idea if Owl would be able to comment, one way or another, but maybe he can. I know 4+ is incredible so 40+ seems unreal. He gave out 3 plays towards the end of the show so they were all on record and against the current lines at that time so no "stale lines" for him.

As for lunch...............I'd be more than happy to take you up on the offer. I know I will be in town sometime during the T-giving Holiday but will be with family the entire time so no chance there. After that - who knows. I am gonna try and officiate HS Hoops this season but "try" and "will be able to do so" are 2 different things. If I do officiate my free time from Halloween until the Super Bowl will be almost nil. I have no idea when I will be out there although I'd like to come out there and take advantage of all of the mystery shopping I can do when in town.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Winky...if u get to the point that u can ref Hoop games, that would truly be a great comeback.

I expect to be back on the court. Saturday (June 15) I was able to take the dog out for a walk for the first time without using a crutch to help me along. I did not expect to be able to do this until a few months down the line so I am much further ahead than where I expected to be. I might take it easy and only do Girls Varsity games and have a day or 2 between games but I fully expect to be back on the court for the 2019-20 season. Which would be head turning and something I was not sure would happen