St. Louis Blues Skate the Cup! . . .

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
The St. Louis Blues Skate the Cup! . . .

. . . ending the longest drought in NHL history before winning a first Stanley Cup. The Blues get their 16th victory in Game #7 as Jordan Binnington stands on his head and Tuuka Rask doesn't.

It took the Blues 42 Stanley Cup playoff appearances to win the Stanley Cup, the most by any team.

Ryan O'Reilly becomes the first NHL player since Wayne Gretzky in 1985 to score goals in 4 straight games in the the Stanley Cup Final, the first to do so in games 4,5,6, and 7, and the first to score the first goal for his team in those 4 games. Thus, O'Reilly gets voted the MVP of the Stanley Cup playoffs even though he had a weak series against the Dallas Stars, but he more than made up for it in the Stanley Cup Final against Boston. It turns out he was also suffering from an undisclosed rib injury which affected his ability to win faceoffs, and possibly hurt his all around play against the Stars.

In the Stanley Cup playoffs the Blues were 8-0 when playing games when tied or trailing in any series.

Jordan Binnington became the first rookie goalie to win 16 Stanley Cup playoff games. (The Blues version of Kurt Warner, but not a perfect analogy. And I'm not implying that he's going to be a Hall of Famer.)

Similar to the 1960 World Series where the Pirates defeated the Yankees 4-3 with the Yankees winning the blowouts and the Pirates winning the close games, the Blues were outscored in the series by Boston 22-18, but won the series 4-3, with Boston losing their last 3 home games and trailing in the game #1 home win, 2-0, before scoring 4 straight and winning the game. (Not a perfect comparison by any means because the Blues won Game #7, 4-1, where as the Pirates won game #7, 10-9, with a game winning home run by Bill Mazeroski in the bottom of the 9th).

The Blues were also the first team to win the Stanley Cup Finals with a losing record in the playoffs at home (6-7), but more than compensated for it by going an outstanding 10-3 on the Road. (Bruins 7-6 at home with 3 straight losses to the Blues.)

From an earlier thread:

Blues road playoff record 9-3, 5-0 after a loss.

Bruins home playoff record 7-5.

Thus, the Blues play better on the road during the (Stanley Cup) playoffs then the Bruins do at home. That doesn't mean the Blues are going to win, but it is a fact.

It appears that's the winning point.

Also:

The Blues are the first team to win the Stanley Cup playing two 6 game and two 7 game series. Thus, the Blues played 108 total games (82 regular season and 26 playoff games) to win the Stanley Cup, the most of any team to do so.

In summary, the St. Louis Blues are a team where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts, and played that way. Almost all underdogs do. (In 26 playoff games the Blues got at least one goal from 20 different players, and 21 players had at least one point.)

Finally:

"We got the Cup!" A loud, boisterous, happy chant lead by yours truly with like minded St. Louis Blues fans at Red Rock after the Blues scored late in the 3rd period (4:38 remaining) to go up 4-0 on the Bruins. What fun!

Foresthill

EOG Addicted
John,

I think you were trying to be celebratory and didn't know that --

I can't stand that 'Gloria' song . . .

. . . I didn't like it when it first came out (1982) and I certainly don't like it now. (so please don't take any offense)

I really like the team, but I don't like their choice of music. I also don't get singing "Country Roads" by John Denver halfway through the third period at home games in a metro area with a population of over 2.5 million. We are not in West Virginia, we are in St. Louis, Missouri.

A much better song sung by the fans when the team went to the Stanley Cup Final their first three seasons was "When the Saints (Blues) Go Marching In".

They may still sing it at the games, but the song is no where near as prominent now.